Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Grats

Buckley was already togged off ready to come on before that so it was unrelated to be fair. Few lads played themselves out of the team today I think

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭robwen

Grats wrote: »
    Mullen went on a great run, pulled up and looked straight over to bench while holding his thigh. Then substituted.

Cody said after the game he felt his hamstring & doesn't think it's to serious

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Biggest test of the league and they failed. This is a very average Clare team. What does that make us?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭usualstripes

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Biggest test of the league and they failed. This is a very average Clare team. What does that make us?

Correct. We did fail but we did have chances to pull away when we were 1 point up. We had a goal opportunity when Richie reid tried to hand pass to mossy. Even after that we missed a few handy points.

Delivery into our forwards is one of the biggest obstacle to pass. With few exceptions we are not good fielders of the ball so we have to be a lot cuter in our delivery.
    Also we are too open at times. Padraig needs to hold his position more in the centre.
    Lawlors place is at no. 3 and not at 6.
    Would like to have seen Darren mullen and conor delaney get their runs un but probably not going to happen now.
    It was the closest we've had to championship fare and we've a few weeks to get ready for Wexford so improvements in tactics needed, particularly our puckouts as we're not getting close to winning our fair share of high balls.
    Let's hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭davidx40

If Clare are average as has been said by a few posters ....we are extremely average ....is this our poorest panel since 88/89 I certainly think it is ....

• Advertisement

The drop in quality after TJ is like going into the abyss.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

The apparent lack of a coherent puck out strategy is highly alarming and bordering on negligent. My only hope is that at half time in the Wexford game Cody was happy with how the shorter puck outs were working and decided to keep his powder dry until championship. Maybe I'm grasping at straws but I would find it hard to believe that no one in the Kilkenny set up realises that you have to mix up the puck outs in order to compete. Also on puck outs surprisingly Eoin Murphy's accuracy on long puck outs has been poor enough. If we go long it needs to be more accurate. Definitely agree with point that if Padraig if playing centre back he needs to hold position more. Also Browne is not a wing back at this level. Midfield for him or nowhere I think. I think many here are being over critical of the players and we can compete with most teams on a given day but more tactical thinking is needed to take the next step. Unfortunately I am thinking that resistance to change to more modern tactics is hindering the team. Hopefully as I said earlier things are being kept in reserve for the Wexford game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

“We’re getting close to the championship now, and everything from now on is geared towards the championship — next weekend is a big test for us. Like any match we want to win, but being so close to the championship, everything is geared towards that, so next weekend is terrific, from that point of view. Going to Ennis to play Clare, that’s a big challenge any time.” - Cody - last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

What is the story with James Maher is he still on the panel or gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Well done to Michael Fennelly & Michael Kavanagh for convincingly winning Division 2A of the NHL

https://twitter.com/Offaly_GAA/status/1404077769592557575

• Advertisement

Fred Daly wrote: »
    What is the story with James Maher is he still on the panel or gone.

He was with the extended panel in Ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Grats wrote: »
    He was with the extended panel in Ennis.

The reason i asked was somebody said to me this afternoon that he had left the panel.

Fred Daly wrote: »
    The reason i asked was somebody said to me this afternoon that he had left the panel.

He did leave it before, old news perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Offaly and Derry have agreed to play their Div 3 football final next Saturday in Croke Park instead of sharing it, despite Offaly playing in the Championship the following weekend.
    Fair play to both.

Should Kilkenny and Galway look to play next weekend for the League final with both teams not out in Champ for 3 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Rosita

Should Kilkenny and Galway look to play next weekend for the League final with both teams not out in Champ for 3 weeks?

Yes, would be great.

Rosita wrote: »
    Yes, would be great.

I think so too, and both teams would surely jump at the chance to play a final in Croke Park next weekend given it is almost certain that's where the Leinster semis will be in 3 weeks' time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭brookville

I think so too, and both teams would surely jump at the chance to play a final in Croke Park next weekend given it is almost certain that's where the Leinster semis will be in 3 weeks' time.

I think the leinster semi is in portlaoise.The antrim Dublin match is in navan I think.
    On yesterday's match its a match we could of won and recovered well after them two quick goals We had a few goal chances we didn't take The Richie Reid one I think resulted in a point the other end.Tj missed one and we also drove a few wides at the end.Brassil was very quite.
    Hopefully mullen will be fit for the semi final it was his best game by far.Eoin cody was also good.Billy Ryan was sharp.
    Leahy got a good half into the legs and Richie Reid was good so these are positive.
    It's grand when lads are getting forward but you see yesterday we got sucked up the field and clare had a load of space in attack.The defenders first job is to defend and infairness the space in front of deegan and lawlor its hard to defend.
    The concession of 4 goals and our puckouts will have to be priority.
    I still think joey is getting a raw deal at the moment.Delaney and Darren mullen would be a help to that defence but time is probably running out.I think we haven't beaten clare since 2015.

brookville wrote: »
    I think the leinster semi is in portlaoise.The antrim Dublin match is in navan I think.
    On yesterday's match its a match we could of won and recovered well after them two quick goals We had a few goal chances we didn't take The Richie Reid one I think resulted in a point the other end.Tj missed one and we also drove a few wides at the end.Brassil was very quite.
    Hopefully mullen will be fit for the semi final it was his best game by far.Eoin cody was also good.Billy Ryan was sharp.
    Leahy got a good half into the legs and Richie Reid was good so these are positive.
    It's grand when lads are getting forward but you see yesterday we got sucked up the field and clare had a load of space in attack.The defenders first job is to defend and infairness the space in front of deegan and lawlor its hard to defend.
    The concession of 4 goals and our puckouts will have to be priority.
    I still think joey is getting a raw deal at the moment.Delaney and Darren mullen would be a help to that defence but time is probably running out.I think we haven't beaten clare since 2015.

Yes, you are correct, both semis in a doubleheader in Portlaoise (ugh!)
    But still feel we should knock heads together and play it.
    These double-up matches are awful in my opinion, and I imagine the sponsors (Allianz) don't like the degrading of the competition either.

Agree with most points regarding yesterday.

I think 5 forward spots are filled (assuming clean bill of health)
    TJ, Donnelly, Mullen, Cody, and Ryan
    The last spot is up for grabs but I'd say Keoghan will get the nod.

But we badly need Richie Hogan too
    I don't see much scoring threat beyond those seven players (Bergin probably played himself off yesterday) but that 6/7 is a serious forward line so this constant moaning that we are totally reliant on TJ is a bit tiresome.
    He's a wizard, let's just accept that and be thankful we have him and stop measuring others by him.

But 2-9 is a mess right now and what has been tried there in the league will almost certainly get shown up if repeated in Champ
    David Blanchfield could be a late springer, he looks a real Cody player, big and strong, and covers the ground
    I have felt for a long time if Liam Blanchfield is ever to have a serious inter-county career it might be as a midfielder (he played some good games in Fitzgibbon back there and even half back).He is strong nd full of running but he just hasn't the accuracy for a top-class modern forward (neither I am sad to say has Walter Walsh)
    I feel Richie Reid probably has one of the mids nailed down but it could be any one of 5 with him
    I think David Blanchfield looks the business

If everyone fit I'd go with
    Murphy
    Browne
    Lawlor
    Holden
    Blanchfield
    Walsh
    D Mullen
    R Reid
    Leahy
    Donnelly
    TJ
    Mullen
    Ryan
    Hogan
    Cody

Any updates on Richie Hogan welcome

Also, anyone knows is Ciaran Brennan of Bridge hurling with U20s this year?
    I think he's a gem
    Has the bit of pace we so badly need and a real eye for goal
    I'd have had him ahead of EoinCody up till 2019, but Cody has really filled out

Was Tommy Walsh the worst of our backs yesterday? Obviously Cody thought so or else Walsh was injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

How competitive would it be though? I'd imagine both sides would be wary of incurring injuries and afraid to show a full hand ahead of a likely championship encounter. At least a 'double' final would have a good edge to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Comerman

@Alonzo
    Conor Delaney? ?

Comerman wrote: »
    @Alonzo
    Conor Delaney? ?

Good Lord, sorry for any offence to Comer
    Yes of course, number 4 for Holden
    Any word on his recovery?

Also
    Backed Dessie Hutchinson at 80/1 for HOTY
    He is some bloody handful

Great win for Deise today against a pretty much full-strength Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Comerman

Good Lord, sorry for any offence to Comer
    Yes of course, number 4 for Holden
    Any word on his recovery?

Also
    Backed Dessie Hutchinson at 80/1 for HOTY
    He is some bloody handful

Great win for Deise today against a pretty much full-strength Tipp.

Absolutely no offence taken, either a player is good enough or not :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Village87

How are they looking at Paddy Deegan every week.
    This Wexford match is massive, losers will find it hard to beat a couple of Muster teams in the back door. Could be end of a cycle for Kilkenny to if they lose. TJ, Richie Hogan, Wally Walsh, Fogarty, Holden, Buckley not getting any younger

Village87 wrote: »
    This Wexford match is massive, losers will find it hard to beat a couple of Muster teams in the back door. Could be end of a cycle for Kilkenny to if they lose. TJ, Richie Hogan, Wally Walsh, Fogarty, Holden, Buckley not getting any younger

Couple of things. Many express the same opinion as you regarding Paddy Deegan but yet he makes the team of the week regularly. When he looked under extreme pressure in Ennis, it was Tommy Walsh who was subbed. Other than TJ, none of the players you mention are started regularly and are to be commended for staying on offering whatever they can.

Clearly you wouldn't have Deegan. What other players would you not start? And more importantly, who would your starting 15 be?

Just to clarify, I don't disagree at all with your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Re Deegan, we don't have another back who covers as much ground as he does. I'd say his stats on distance covered during a game is insane. Endlessly running off the shoulder, driving forward and creating space for others by drawing the attention of an opposition player. He definitely has his weaknesses but the alternatives aren't there.

Tommy Walsh a good defender but not great on the ball.
    Wallace came on Saturday and got absolutely dusted at one point (could've been the 4th goal).
    Joey is probably the best hurler of the lot and I'd like to see him get more time but athletically wouldn't be as good as Deegan for those runs.

Who else is there?

We can only play the players we have and if we have designs on playing more of a running game then Deegan is probably a lot more crucial than people want him to be.

But other than the 4th goal on Saturday the full back line wasn't to blame. The Deegan penalty was probably a foul but just unlucky. Nobody tracked Kelly for his first goal bar Mullen who was way too far off him but why didn't anyone in the half back like pick him up when he basically just ran down the centre? And Reidy just ran straight through a non existant half back line for his goal.

Someone suggested David Blanchfield to start in championship. He has loads of potential but he's nowhere near ready. Raw out. And couldn't have Liam Blanchfield as a midfielder at all. Doesn't have the athleticism for it. In my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭brookville

Village87 wrote: »

The likes of wally,Buckley,Fogarty and joey aren't really in Cody's plans.Richie hasn't played a full game in a few years so the idea of him starting is a bit unrealistic.
    We have huge issues in defence and the way Waterford ran right through us last year and again the other day clare got through untouched.
    We have a good bit of work to do for three weeks.if Darren mullen and Delaney were fit I would put them into that defence.

Re Deegan, we don't have another back who covers as much ground as he does. I'd say his stats on distance covered during a game is insane. Endlessly running off the shoulder, driving forward and creating space for others by drawing the attention of an opposition player. He definitely has his weaknesses but the alternatives aren't there.

Tommy Walsh a good defender but not great on the ball.
    Wallace came on Saturday and got absolutely dusted at one point (could've been the 4th goal).
    Joey is probably the best hurler of the lot and I'd like to see him get more time but athletically wouldn't be as good as Deegan for those runs.

Who else is there?

We can only play the players we have and if we have designs on playing more of a running game then Deegan is probably a lot more crucial than people want him to be.

But other than the 4th goal on Saturday the full back line wasn't to blame. The Deegan penalty was probably a foul but just unlucky. Nobody tracked Kelly for his first goal bar Mullen who was way too far off him but why didn't anyone in the half back like pick him up when he basically just ran down the centre? And Reidy just ran straight through a non existant half back line for his goal.

Someone suggested David Blanchfield to start in championship. He has loads of potential but he's nowhere near ready. Raw out. And couldn't have Liam Blanchfield as a midfielder at all. Doesn't have the athleticism for it. In my opinion.

It's easy to see why Cody likes Deegan, strong and brave and athletic, great verve.
    But much of what he offers is negated by our current tactics on puck outs
    ie
    What is the point of having a strong athletic ball carrying and distributing corner back if we never puck short?

Most of the ball he is hurling now is handy loose stuff against likes of Wex and Laois who play two and even one man full-forward lines

What happens against the really good teams when the ball is being zinged into Gillane and Conor Whelan?
    That's when the fun starts
    Trying to contain players like that in the modern game with all the advantages those forwards now have (and the penalty awarded against Deegan was cruel and goes against the ethos of hurling) is bloody difficult.
    So you need top-class hurlers in your full-back line and even with that, you need a bit of luck just to keep likes of Gillane and Whelan etc semi subdued.

I was really happy with Lawlor, Shanagher is a right handful but he had a great contest and despite his tap in goal, I think Lawlor hurled him really well.

But the rest of 2-9 is a shambles at moment for me
    I havent confidence in two or there at all, while at least three more are clearly not being played in their best positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Well, for some good/bad reason the Camogie league final between Kilkenny and Galway is on in Croke park next Sunday, with a 19.30 throw in !!!!!!

:rolleyes: :confused:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭kksaints

greenspurs wrote: »
    Well, for some good/bad reason the Camogie league final between Kilkenny and Galway is on in Croke park next Sunday, with a 19.30 throw in !!!!!!

:rolleyes: :confused:

Isn't that one of the trial events for the return of spectators?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement