Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"OK Boomer"

• 08-11-2019 11:05am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭

The "I shot JR" for fellas in their early 30s still living with their parents and considering what brand of tampons to purchase?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

OK boomer

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

MrAbyss wrote: »
    The "I shot JR" for fellas in their early 30s still living with their parents and considering what brand of tampons to purchase?

Gender fluid, something something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

OK Google, define 'OK boomer'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

It's not an ideal phrase given the implication that all Boomers are bad but it is considerably better than co-opting a phrase for the mentally ill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

MrAbyss wrote: »

Don't understand the question.

Don't actually understand IF It's a question, to be honest.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

My neice said this to me in a message yesterday.

I don't know what she's on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 HelloHello1234

Bob Harris wrote: »
    My neice said this to me in a message yesterday.

I don't know what she's on about.

Typical boomer:D:D:D:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Boomer and Candy have both been used in thread titles in the last day. I don’t think I’m being overly drastic in recommending we launch immediate sanctions against the US; ban Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, and start an urgent project to create a European internet free of stupid americanisms and outrage culture.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I thought it was " who shot JR ?".

That used to be relevant , boomers.

What is a tampon ?

Typical boomer:D:D:D:pac::pac:

I'm still at a loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Boomer and Candy have both been used in thread titles in the last day. I don’t think I’m being overly drastic in recommending we launch immediate sanctions against the US; ban Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, and start an urgent project to create a European internet free of stupid americanisms and outrage culture.

Sounds kinda nice actually!

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I thought it was " who shot JR ?".

That used to be relevant , boomers.

What is a tampon ?

Tom-JPG.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,397 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I hadn't heard this phrase a week ago and now it seems to be everywhere. Is this the new "woke"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

"Boomer" isn't a demographic that exists in Ireland. We didn't participate in the war, hence no post-war "Baby Boom." So it doesn't really apply here, the middle aged snowflakes can stop getting triggered because the young people said mean things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

I've only heard it for a week and it's grating as ****, ok boomer is not a political statement, it's nothing. Stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

May get used to it. All these American YouTubers have the next generation ruined.
    My niece asked me to bring her to the candy store the other day... she meant Super Valu. She also says diapers instead of nappies :o

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Leave me alone yiz pr*cks.

Regards,

Boomer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I'm still not sure what 'woke' means , but not really interested in finding out either. I'm guessing it's a word to describe an overly sensitive @sshole.

I'm still not sure what 'woke' means , but not really interested in finding out either. I'm guessing it's a word to describe an overly sensitive @sshole.

Nah, that’s piles.

Nah, that’s piles.

Both equally a pain in the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Just another one of those terms from the U.S that people using it (like virtue signalling and George Soros) haven't a notion what it means (baby boomer: someone who was born between 1946 and 1964 - referring to the boom in births following WWII, and a generation which did a lot of good in terms of changing certain repressive social mores, but some YouTube personality said something edgily negative about them, so here comes the bandwagon!)

Before the "ok boomer" response, I was born long long after 1964.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Cordell

a generation which did a lot of good in terms
    Apparently they are privileged and the cause of millennials not being able to afford a home and generally the root of all evil.
    Before the "ok boomer" response, I was born long long after 1964
    If you're gen X don't worry, our time will come soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its funny how people are getting so worked up about it considering its been a pretty accepted phrase for so long, also those same people have probably spent the last 10 years decrying millenials as the root of all modern problems.

Personally as Gen X'er im just enjoying sitting back and watching.

ms1q0rue4bx31.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭daheff

"OK Boomer" is the snowflake/millennial version of "Whatever"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

I hate people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's a good response to the equally stupid crap you read about snowflakes and millennials.

And it really works on its targets, which is the main reason it's taken off, they can't stand it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Cordell wrote: »
    Apparently they are privileged and the cause of millennials not being able to afford a home and generally the root of all evil.

If you're gen X don't worry, our time will come soon
    Sure am. To be fair, our generation didn't do much. We are the children of the boomers who worked their asses of for us. And we repaid them with cynicism and "whatEVER!" :D
    VinLieger wrote: »
    Its funny how people are getting so worked up about it considering its been a pretty accepted phrase for so long, also those same people have probably spent the last 10 years decrying millenials as the root of all modern problems.
    It's not the phrase - it's the use of it by people who haven't a clue. And the stupid blame game. Yeah the dude sweeping the streets of Baltimore who was born in 1955. Get him! Or all those drafted to fight in Vietnam against their will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

God I hate humanity. Thanks to things like this.

The sun cant go red giant soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Idiotic to use it in an Irish context as it makes no sense and just serves to show that people are influenced by American culture to the extent where they just repeat nonsensical phrases that they don't fully understand.

I say that as a millenial but it's always the same dopes in your friend groups who go along with this nonsense.
    The ones who aren't able to understand the nuances to situations so they need a catch phrase put on it so that don't need to think.

Que - some goon coming on to say "Ok Boomer" as they aren't able to dispute the above point.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Bin the trash cans, I say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Yeah way off. I'm 40 and I'm at the tail end of generation X. Boomers are way older.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Please make it all go away.

Idiotic to use it in an Irish context as it makes no sense and just serves to show that people are influenced by American culture to the extent where they just repeat nonsensical phrases that they don't fully understand.

I say that as a millenial but it's always the same dopes in your friend groups who go along with this nonsense.
    The ones who aren't able to understand the nuances to situations so they need a catch phrase put on it so that don't need to think.

Que - some goon coming on to say "Ok Boomer" as they aren't able to dispute the above point.
    Wtf is a goon? Perfect example post of why it's fine to use Ok Boomer in Ireland

Raconteuse wrote: »
    And we repaid them with cynicism and "whatEVER!" :D

Well, I'm working my arse off for my kids and I expect the same payment :) This is the way of the world, moving forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I love the bit in Brooklyn 99 where the black, gay police captain talks about when he came out in the 80s.
    Captain Holt: I must say, this is going considerably better than when I came out to my colleagues. They were not, as the kids say, awake.
    Jake: Do you mean 'woke'?
    Captain Holt: I did mean 'woke'. But it's grammatically incoherent.

A good, dacent, everyday grammar nazi. :D

• Advertisement

Wtf is a goon? Perfect example post of why it's fine to use Ok Boomer in Ireland

No its not.
    We didn't have a baby boom in Ireland - it makes no sense to use it as it's a phrase attached to people born in a specific country (not Ireland) at a specific time.

Goon is a phrase used across the English language (spoken in Ireland) so it's free to use. If I had said Yankee goon, American goon or something similar then you may have a point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

What year was the biggest baby boom in Ireland? A few decades before the famine?
    Our boombers are in the ground for some time now....

Ireland's 'boomers' equivalent will be those conceived during the big snow in 2018.

tuxy wrote: »
    What year was the biggest baby boom in Ireland? A few decades before the famine?
    Our boombers are in the ground for some time now....

The only baby Boom I'm familiar with was the 1991 baby boom, Italia 90.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Do people in Ireland really identify themselves with generational labels created by American marketing firms? Generation X, Generation Z, Millenials. It’s nonsense.

That a dismissive, ageist term has been adopted by a generation supposedly supportive of diversity, equality and inclusion, which rejects even gender labeling is interesting.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Do people in Ireland really identify themselves with generational labels created by American marketing firms? Generation X, Generation Z, Millenials. It’s nonsense.

That a dismissive, ageist term has been adopted by a generation supposedly supportive of diversity, equality and inclusion, which rejects even gender labeling is interesting.

Don't you just love hypocrisy.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Ireland's 'boomers' equivalent will be those conceived during the big snow in 2018.

They must be close to a year old now - the whingey pr*cks.

Never did a days work in their lives and most of them have everything handed to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Irish people love this but not as much as they love terms like loony left and alt-right.

They see things happen on TV or videos online and then apply it to what's happening in Ireland if they see even the tiniest of similarities.

No its not.
    We didn't have a baby boom in Ireland - it makes no sense to use it as it's a phrase attached to people born in a specific country (not Ireland) at a specific time.

Goon is a phrase used across the English language (spoken in Ireland) so it's free to use. If I had said Yankee goon, American goon or something similar then you may have a point
    It's an insult or dismissive phrase, it doesn't have to make total sense. The point is it gets to the people who think it applies to them, who have no problem labelling others.

No one said goon in Ireland in the last 50 years, you imported it from the Americans same as youre complaining about now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm still not sure what 'woke' means. I'm guessing it's a word to describe an overly sensitive @sshole.

100% correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭chrissb8

For a generation (Millenials) that purports about letting people live without labels we suuuure are obsessed with labels.

I'll be the first to say I think something is wrong with my generation. We really are lazy sods in alot of regards and always like playing the blame game. You'd swear every generation didn't have their challenges to overcome.

Millenials blame alot of extenuating factors except themselves. While doing nothing in their life to try and improve themselves and "expecting" something to just happen without putting the work in.

We have an overall victim complex and I feel this "Boomer" stuff is in line with that. That Boomers messed up our planet. They are to blame for the housing crisis. They made the world what it is today. How can we possibly get ahead with the state of things?

So you know how can they say anything with their ignorant opinions etc.

The world is what it is. Get on with it. Or is laying on your bed for 3 hours on your phone after you get in the door from work going to help you get on in life?

It's an insult or dismissive phrase, it doesn't have to make total sense. The point is it gets to the people who think it applies to them, who have no problem labelling others.

No one said goon in Ireland in the last 50 years, you imported it from the Americans same as youre complaining about now.

So if someone thinks it’s stupid that must mean they think it applies to them?

Popeye cartoons played on RTE for years, Goon was the name of mindless characters in the programme I certainly remember hearing the word used in school and elsewhere and I'm under 50.

When speaking - you should be trying your best to make sense.

You're just backing up my point that people are using a phrase that they don't understand to attempt to insult someone when the insult doesn't apply to them.

Its doubly stupid, its stupid squared

They are the most intolerant generation of them all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement