Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

There's unlikely to be a whole lot of virus in the jacks to cause an infectious plume when flushed.

Showers are possibly just out of bounds where people are in closer proximity or where water passes from one shower area to the next

Plenty of virus present in feces. There's even been tests done on sewage to help trace prevalence of the virus in a given area. (read articles on this/done in Italy), Was supposedly a (shudder).. easier way to check for the prevalence in the early days, when testing wasn't getting done quick enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭ibrahimovic

Do you need a face mask in the gym now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

givyjoe wrote: »
    Plenty of virus present in feces. There's even been tests done on sewage to help trace prevalence of the virus in a given area. (read articles on this/done in Italy), Was supposedly a (shudder).. easier way to check for the prevalence in the early days, when testing wasn't getting done quick enough.

In it. And submerged. There won't be an 'infectious plume'.

But toilets are a facility they probably wouldn't get away with not offering

In it. And submerged. There won't be an 'infectious plume'.

But toilets are a facility they probably wouldn't get away with not offering

:rolleyes: Not sure why you keep insisting this isn't a thing.

:rolleyes: Not sure why you keep insisting this isn't a thing.

I'm not saying you don't get aerosols when you flush the toilet. It's why I keep the toothbrushes well away from the toilet.

When I use 'plume' usually, the concentration of particles is high and I'm not necessarily sure it would be

So yeah, I'm not saying it's not a thing. I just use 'plume' differently so I misinterpreted to some degree what you were saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Do you need a face mask in the gym now?

No. Not included in new legislation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭ibrahimovic

No. Not included in new legislation

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Was there any update on when GAA club gyms can open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Was there any update on when GAA club gyms can open?

This is in the GAA safe return document 1.Preparation of facilities
    Dressing Rooms, Gyms and Social areas should remain closed in Phase 3 and until further notice.

I know they are hoping to go to crowds of 500 whenever we get to Phase 4, and I could've swore that clubhouses were opening then too but from a quick Google I can't see it anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

rpurfield wrote: »
    This is in the GAA safe return document 1.Preparation of facilities
    Dressing Rooms, Gyms and Social areas should remain closed in Phase 3 and until further notice.

I know they are hoping to go to crowds of 500 whenever we get to Phase 4, and I could've swore that clubhouses were opening then too but from a quick Google I can't see it anywhere.

Yeah I remember hearing that a month ago. By the way things are going, we won't be seeing club gyms / dressing rooms opening for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭rpurfield

It's grand now this time of year but if games go into October/November I really don't fancy changing at the back of the car! It'll be the same with the dug outs for subs.

Anyway that's as far off topic as I'll stray. Sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

billyhead wrote: »
    Just wondering why can't gym users shower even if social distancing is maintained?

I'm sure it's part of the "get in and out" mentality. No reason to be hanging around in close proximity. Get your bag and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

The "no showers" will kill the early morning business, personally I can manage as I live close but the amount of people that don't are going to struggle with training and getting to their jobs afterwards.

The "no showers" will kill the early morning business, personally I can manage as I live close but the amount of people that don't are going to struggle with training and getting to their jobs afterwards.

The 7.00-8.15am slot is the one that's regularly fully booked in the Flyefit I go to.

I think a bigger issue may be that people that work in the city centre, near the gym, but live a bit of a journey away are not back in work yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'm lucky in that my workplace has a shower and the gym is very close by. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to get anything done.

Well, I could, but it would involve imposing my sweat stink on colleagues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I was driving past FlyeFit Macken Street a few days ago and there was a queue of about 10-12 people standing out in the rain waiting to get in. This is the second time I've seen that, perhaps it's the norm?

To be honest, I think anyone who has the space should consider the possibility that now is still a good time to buy what they need for home training, if they haven't already. I struggle to see how we will get through winter and the normal flu season without further shut-downs. It might be lighter touch than the craic earlier this year, but the first to be shut will be the gyms.

Equipment is still hard to come by, but if you are patient then there at basic things being restocked by many companies like Strength Shop at the moment. Probably possible to get a barbell, fabricated plates and squat stands relatively easily now. Kettlebells coming back into stock also. I saw Blk Box just restocked open hex bars this week and I pulled the trigger on one.

I'm doing a mix of training at home and training in a gym. It's nice to have access, in a full gym setting, to machines for accessory work. Occupancy in the gym I use is tiny (It's a work gym), so I've never gotten frustrated with social distancing measures, but I must admit that the cleaning seems a bit of a faff at times. Of course you can wipe down a surface like a bench or machine easily enough, but when it comes to wiping down 10-12 bumper plates it's a bit of a cursory job to be honest, unless you're going to try to do every possible surface area you touched.

I know someone above suggested that if people sanitised their hands on the way in then is that not the job done... But of course I presume the issue is that their hands are only sanitised for as long as they keep them away from their face, or any other surface that might have the virus resting on it (?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,684 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

We had the weather in the spring, if they start closing gyms through the winter, getting decent outdoor exercise in isnt going to be quiet as easy. I'd be tempted to get a hex bar as it doesnt take up much space and would keep the legs ticking over.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I was driving past FlyeFit Macken Street a few days ago and there was a queue of about 10-12 people standing out in the rain waiting to get in. This is the second time I've seen that, perhaps it's the norm?

The people queueing are the ones who arrived early for their session. Some to get in and get changed quickly and some to be guaranteed a rack.

I'll be walking to the gym so if it's raining, i'll be prepared for it anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Showers on my gym are and have been open throughout....Fitness Plus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

I've used Flyefit Jervais, Georges, CHQ and will be using Baggot street later today.

The queue for Jervais was reasonable, queued about 5 mins before the slot and got in by 5 past or so after the slot began, I was would have been top quarter of the queue.

I was one of the last in queue for CHQ this week, they didn't open the doors for people until the start time of the slot and it took over 15 minutes for me to get in by the time my bag was put away etc, 20 minutes of the slot was already gone. Had to change my workout to compensate. (Not a fan of CHQ to begin with to be honest)

The queue has been quite good for George's street so far and I've been about middle in the queue I would say, they seem to allow people in from 5 minutes to the start of the slot so I've always been in so far by 5 past the start of the slot.

I can't imagine how they will go forward when it starts pissing rain, or when they start to allow more people, but still restricted numbers, in.

Realistically, there is no social distance with the queuing as it extends into and beyond the paths outside.

• Advertisement

Kamu wrote: »

Realistically, there is no social distance with the queuing as it extends into and beyond the paths outside.

You can ask the person behind to step back as soon as they arrive and stay back from the person ahead of you, also it's outside so not too bad :)

I've found most people are pretty good for SD in the queue at Portobello. They have markers for the first 4 people or so but everyone after that, including the people out on the path up the way are keeping back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

My trick is to arrive ten minutes late for my slot and then rush my workout as if it was the plan all along.

I've used Flyefit Jervais, Georges, CHQ and will be using Baggot street later today.

The queue for Jervais was reasonable, queued about 5 mins before the slot and got in by 5 past or so after the slot began, I was would have been top quarter of the queue.

I was one of the last in queue for CHQ this week, they didn't open the doors for people until the start time of the slot and it took over 15 minutes for me to get in by the time my bag was put away etc, 20 minutes of the slot was already gone. Had to change my workout to compensate. (Not a fan of CHQ to begin with to be honest)

The queue has been quite good for George's street so far and I've been about middle in the queue I would say, they seem to allow people in from 5 minutes to the start of the slot so I've always been in so far by 5 past the start of the slot.

I can't imagine how they will go forward when it starts pissing rain, or when they start to allow more people, but still restricted numbers, in.

Used Liffey Valley and Ranelagh so far. LV opens the queue early and moves pretty quick. Nice big gym and only 50 there, so plenty of space. Ranelagh I have to say was an absolute joke and I wont be back. There's a few rooms, but literally everyone was wedged into the main room where it's impossible to keep your distance. They really need to look at adjusting their numbers as if someone did come in and inspect, think they may be in a spot of bother.

Used Liffey Valley and Ranelagh so far. LV opens the queue early and moves pretty quick. Nice big gym and only 50 there, so plenty of space. Ranelagh I have to say was an absolute joke and I wont be back. There's a few rooms, but literally everyone was wedged into the main room where it's impossible to keep your distance. They really need to look at adjusting their numbers as if someone did come in and inspect, think they may be in a spot of bother.

Have to go to Ranelagh later so good to have the heads up

Have to go to Ranelagh later so good to have the heads up

How was it?

How was it?

Got there early enough to be first in the queue. So got up and into a rack and avoided mixing with the plebs :pac:

Aside from that it was grand. Not as spacious as Portobello so everything is is a little less spaced out but can't say anyone got close enough to bother me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,684 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

my gym is still way under capacity probably probably because there are more older members that are staying away. I was talking to one person and he was only coming because he had paid for the year. Its great for now but under normal circumstances the place would be at risk of closing if that was their future.

On the plus side Im 2 weeks away from getting back to my main lifting weight. As I dont have to cycle commute Im doing more concept 2 , decided to do 5000m and intervals with the aim of getting back to see how the 2000m is doing in Sep.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Don't know if it is just in my gym or others but lads (maybe ladies too but not that I've seen) just blasting the bars and machines in rakes of sanitizer and walking off leaving them soaked.

Surely the bars are going to get pretty messed up shortly if that continues?

Like its not that hard to grab the blue paper beside the sanitizer you just got and give a cursory wipe down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Social distancing and cleaning the equipment has gone completely out the window in my local Flyefit. It was very good for the first week and now I would say 10% of people are doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

scrumqueen wrote: »
    Don't know if it is just in my gym or others but lads (maybe ladies too but not that I've seen) just blasting the bars and machines in rakes of sanitizer and walking off leaving them soaked.

Surely the bars are going to get pretty messed up shortly if that continues?

Like its not that hard to grab the blue paper beside the sanitizer you just got and give a cursory wipe down.

pure selfish laziness indeed, if you can make all the effort to go to the gym , do a workout, surely it's not too much trouble to at least wipe the bars after spraying them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

scrumqueen wrote:

Noticed this creeping in at my gym too. Did a body pump class on Thursday morning and when putting my sprayed and wiped plates away I saw loads of plates back on the storage racks that were cleared soaked in spray and restacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,613 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Too much is probably better than too little.

D3V!L wrote: »
    Social distancing and cleaning the equipment has gone completely out the window in my local Flyefit. It was very good for the first week and now I would say 10% of people are doing it.

All the more reason to maintain the max numbers indoors limit..... that provides some control. I've reminded a few folk in Flyefit to maintain the social distance, generally it's just space cadets IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Augeo wrote: »
    All the more reason to maintain the max numbers indoors limit..... that provides some control. I've reminded a few folk in Flyefit to maintain the social distance, generally it's just space cadets IMO.

I do too and its the same guys and girls each time. Its not up to other users though, the gym staff should be patrolling and maintaining the policies. They're not seen from the start to the end of the session.

D3V!L wrote: »
    I do too and its the same guys and girls each time. Its not up to other users though, the gym staff should be patrolling and maintaining the policies. They're not seen from the start to the end of the session.

I will say that I've seen Flyefit staff at both Georges and Jervais over the last week go up to people and tell them to spray and wipe after use or to put their weights away after use.

All polite and a 'Hey, heads up'. Some still ignored them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Last week in Flyefit I asked the person who used the squat rack before me was he going to wipe the bar as he finished up and walked off and started on another machine. He said "oh yeah" and went over and did it.

Several occasions I've seen people just walk off and not clean down equipment after them.

Every time that happens before I use a machine I will confront the person and ask them to clean the equipment after them.

There is plenty of spray around, lots of wipes, lots of signs up to remind everyone, zero excuses not to do it only ignorance and stupidity.
    Main culprits I've noticed are the scrawny teenagers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Recently, I was faffing about on a leg extension while waiting for a rack to free up. When one did, I shot over and got it and started warming up, but remembered I never wiped down the leg extension before I left. Ran over just as someone was setting up saying "sorrysorrysorrysorry" with some paper and spray in hand, but yer man said it was grand because he was cleaning it himself anyway.

Was in a Flyefit earlier. Was surprised the 2.30 slot was much busier than I'm used to but then I train at the 8.30pm slot.

Noticed people still pretty good at cleaning. Wasn't looking for it but just saw different people cleaning down equipment after using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭caviardreams

There's a guy in my FF who was an equipment hog at the best of times but last week whilst I was using the leg curl machine he was doing a circuit of:

Leg press (marked by a large sweaty towel)
    Trap bar deads - marked with plates left on
    Bench with a phone and small towel - not actually sure what he was using this for - just resting his stuff maybe :rolleyes:
    Hack Squat machine - marked with a 2L water bottle

Moving between them all with rests in between each exercise too.
    He comes over to me when I'm on my 2nd last set and asks if I am nearly finished on the leg curl. I took an extra minute rest for the last set deliberately whilst he kept looking over.

Then after I clean it and leave, he goes over to it and pops two plates on to mark it and doesn't even use it yet.

Unreal.

Does a few more sets of various bits (including one on the leg curl), and then NOT A SINGLE PIECE OF EQUIPMENT CLEANED OR A SINGLE PLATE REMOVED _ just strolls into the changing rooms with all his bits and bobs in tow.

I was in disbelief tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

There's a guy in my FF who was an equipment hog at the best of times but last week whilst I was using the leg curl machine he was doing a circuit of:

Bench with a phone and small towel - not actually sure what he was using this for - just resting his stuff maybe :rolleyes:

He comes over to me when I'm on my 2nd last set and asks if I am nearly finished on the leg curl. I took an extra minute rest for the last set deliberately whilst he kept looking over.

Then after I clean it and leave, he goes over to it and pops two plates on to mark it and doesn't even use it yet.

Unreal.

Does a few more sets of various bits (including one on the leg curl), and then NOT A SINGLE PIECE OF EQUIPMENT CLEANED OR A SINGLE PLATE REMOVED _ just strolls into the changing rooms with all his bits and bobs in tow.

I was in disbelief tbh.

Definitely a situation where staff need to have a word, in their own interest as a business.

Now is definitely not a good time for people to be training in a circuit style like you outline, using several different stations and so on. In practical terms doubtful I would trust anyone to do a decent fist of cleaning all that equipment.

In a commercial gym I always felt that was such a selfish way of training anyway.. A superset using two bits of whatever, fine, but a whole circuit set-up is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Definitely a situation where staff need to have a word, in their own interest as a business.

Now is definitely not a good time for people to be training in a circuit style like you outline, using several different stations and so on. In practical terms doubtful I would trust anyone to do a decent fist of cleaning all that equipment.

In a commercial gym I always felt that was such a selfish way of training anyway.. A superset using two bits of whatever, fine, but a whole circuit set-up is ridiculous.

Agreed. That sort of thing is bang out of order.

Probably a side-effect of the policy nowadays of having very few/no trainers or staff on the gym floor in commercial gyms

Yeah, fúck that noise. Superset is fine. Fúck right off with circuits though...break it up into supersets if needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Unreal.

I was in disbelief tbh.

That is almost pathological levels of dickheadedness tbh.

I would say if a person doesn't feel comfortable directly confronting someone like that, the passive-aggressive option of just using the piece of equipment you want (and discarding the stuff they left on it) should absolutely be employed here.

JayRoc wrote: »
    That is almost pathological levels of dickheadedness tbh.

I would say if a person doesn't feel comfortable directly confronting someone like that, the passive-aggressive option of just using the piece of equipment you want (and discarding the stuff they left on it) should absolutely be employed here.

Yep. They can't cordon off 4 pieces of equipment for themselves. That's just nonsense.

Move their stuff and possibly drown it in sanitiser...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,443 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Unreal.

I was in disbelief tbh.

Used to have a similar type of clown in my gym. Using multiple things at once, but mostly looking at his phone instead of exercising. One morning he walked away from a piece of equipment I wanted to use (and hadn't had a sniff of because of him the previous couple of days) so I started using it. He approached me after a few minutes and said he was using it and that he was super setting (a very relaxed form of super setting that took place mostly on his phone).
    I told him I'd be a few minutes, he expressed his displeasure to which I told him it was too bad. Had him make a point of being a passive aggressive idiot a few times after that, haven't seen the guy in a long time thankfully.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Saw this kind of behaviour well in advance of COVID, with a towel draped over a leg press. Guy had four pieces blocked and spent more time looking at his phone. One of the much older guys waited for 5m for the unoccupied leg press before storming out. I mentioned it to a member of staff who just said you just had to confront people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭caviardreams

If I had wanted to use any of the equipment I would have had no qualms tbh (apart from a thorough cleaning!). If he came up to me I would have just said "oh sorry, I thought you were using the X over there - I've only got 3 sets left" or whatever.

Except maybe having to lift the sweaty towel off the leg press :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Recently, I was faffing about on a leg extension while waiting for a rack to free up. When one did, I shot over and got it and started warming up, but remembered I never wiped down the leg extension before I left. Ran over just as someone was setting up saying "sorrysorrysorrysorry" with some paper and spray in hand, but yer man said it was grand because he was cleaning it himself anyway.

Something like this happened me, I was on a stationary bike and 60 second into it when the bike chain or gears or something started playing up, I was trying to maintain a certain HR at the time so I jumped off it onto another bike beside it and forgot to clean the original bike. I could actually feel someone eyeballing me and couldn't figure out why, and then it dawned on me about the first bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

All of the above just further confirms that home gym is king.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement