Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radio nova

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭peterobrien100

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Some kind of major announcement today on their FB page, states they have a new owner and changes from next week!

Some amount of negative feedback on that post whoever came up with that idea got some amount of people telling them the true feelings about the station.

Its too late the ship has sunk there is plenty of alternatives online any decent jock they have is been cocooned or on the digital platform !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Can't see the Facebook post but heard the advert they have an announcement on Monday but sounds like they are saying a new Boss.

The fact they are saying thank you for support suggests bad news.

Only thing, as much as nova has gone down, if they do go, there's very little left.... Other stations just don't cut it. (I know you'll suggest 8radio etc but I don't have a fancy or decent set up to listen to them)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Can't see the Facebook post but heard the advert they have an announcement on Monday but sounds like they are saying a new Boss.

The fact they are saying thank you for support suggests bad news.

Only thing, as much as nova has gone down, if they do go, there's very little left.... Other stations just don't cut it. (I know you'll suggest 8radio etc but I don't have a fancy or decent set up to listen to them)
    http://twitter.com/radionova100/status/1293163294400946177
    Quick reminder, they got rid of most of their weekend presenters recently, including Peter Devlin and Liam Quigley, because of the COVID-19 situation. I think only Kieran McGuinness kept his show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Quick reminder, they got rid of most of their weekend presenters recently, including Peter Devlin and Liam Quigley, because of the COVID-19 situation. I think only Kieran McGuinness kept his show.

Did they actually get rid of them? I thought they were basically furloughed rather than sacked. Strange thing is that Off The Record is still on (on Digital) on a Saturday night whereas the Friday Night Rock Show hasn't returned.

BTW - none of the digital channels (60s, 70s, 80s or Classic Rock) are currently working right now 2:30AM. Guess Branners/Hayes refuse to pay extra electricity to run the servers.

FanadMan wrote: »
    Did they actually get rid of them? I thought they were basically furloughed rather than sacked. Strange thing is that Off The Record is still on (on Digital) on a Saturday night whereas the Friday Night Rock Show hasn't returned.

BTW - none of the digital channels (60s, 70s, 80s or Classic Rock) are currently working right now 2:30AM. Guess Branners/Hayes refuse to pay extra electricity to run the servers.
    I think the weekend shows were put on hold due to the COVID.
    So is the 10pm-1am slot on Fridays just uninterrupted music without a host?

• Advertisement

I think the weekend shows were put on hold due to the COVID.
    So is the 10pm-1am slot on Fridays just uninterrupted music without a host?

It was live gigs instead of the FNRS but not uninterrupted......ad for Nova and the morning muppets after every bloody song. Totally unlistenable :( There was some good stuff like David Bowie on but just couldn't listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Boss is probably a reference to the Bruce Springsteen show

http://twitter.com/radionova100/status/1293163294400946177

So is John CLarke, Lisa Gernon, Jack Hyland and Tony Ainscough gone as well ?

I am sure I have heard Peter Devlin on Kieran's show;

Christ they are getting rid of all the talent !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Former 98FM breakfast presenter Luke O'Faoláin joining them now for a Sunday show.

https://radiotoday.ie/2020/08/luke-ofaolain-joins-nova-for-sunday-show/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I can't keep up with the schedule!

Is Phil Calway still with Nova?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Bard wrote: »
    Former 98FM breakfast presenter Luke O'Faoláin joining them now for a Sunday show.

https://radiotoday.ie/2020/08/luke-ofaolain-joins-nova-for-sunday-show/

I never knew that Luke was involved with Nova previously, albeit as a film reviewer!

I forgot all about him my god some amount of turn over in staff since the Covid hit !

I forgot all about him my god some amount of turn over in staff since the Covid hit !

When Phil Cawley started doing gigs on Radio Nova, I wondered was he going to spend more time on Nova and less time with his long-standing station Today FM, until ultimately he would leave Today FM. A case of easing himself in with a bit of a transition period. I think, whether that was the plan or not, Covid-19 changed everything. As far as I can gather from what presenters said, Nova, certainly during the lockdown, had to ease down on the number of presenters, particularly the weekend only ones. Instead, it had to make more use of their daily presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I never knew that Luke was involved with Nova previously, albeit as a film reviewer!

Yeah, he did movie review packages for the station..- I think that was around the time I worked there myself! (I was Pat Courtenay's producer for a time on breakfast, as well as reading news, presenting overnights and producing a couple of other temporary shows like 'World Cup Extra').

Bard wrote: »
    Yeah, he did movie review packages for the station..- I think that was around the time I worked there myself! (I was Pat Courtenay's producer for a time on breakfast, as well as reading news, presenting overnights and producing a couple of other temporary shows like 'World Cup Extra').

You have some cv at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Some kind of major announcement today on their FB page, states they have a new owner and changes from next week!

:eek:...less than two days to wait...the suspense is unbearably..i cant sleep, off my food, narky............

sozz.....took two Rennie....its all good now....:rolleyes:

No presenter in the 9pm-12am slot tonight, I think it's usually Gaughran?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lovenova

:eek:...less than two days to wait...the suspense is unbearably..i cant sleep, off my food, narky............

sozz.....took two Rennie....its all good now....:rolleyes:

Really , another inane promotion no doubt . It ain’t a management change on a station that sounds like everything else on fm band . And yet another presenter on Sunday afternoon . How many is that?

For what it’s worth , it’s Springsteen’s show which is available on Sirius for free in Europe and bbc radio 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lovenova

I seriously thought you couldn't get much worse than Colm and Lucy's inane ramblings but Ruth Scott just proved me wrong.

So she stubbed her toe against her wardrobe because she was barefoot - Ruth pet, who gives a flying phook.....

God love her, she can’t even pronounce name of Friday night presenter Tony Ainscough which should be pronounced with silent UGH not as COUGH - unbelievable - week after week 🙈

Lovenova wrote: »
    God love her, she can’t even pronounce name of Friday night presenter Tony Ainscough which should be pronounced with silent UGH not as COUGH - unbelievable - week after week ��

https://comb.io/ZTTEoO

She even looks like Dr.Hartman, but her mustache is bigger.....:D

• Advertisement

So....???????

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

you'd swear they've paid bruce to move here and do the show live

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

you'd swear they've paid bruce to move here and do the show live
    +1, was bound to happen!
    rubadub wrote: »
    As long as they are not trying to suggest they do have exclusive rights I would have no problem.
    Bruce Springsteen is joining Radio Nova! The superstar will present a new weekly 90-minute show called “From His Home to Yours” every Thursday evening at 7pm beginning August 20th (repeated Sunday mornings at 9am).

In the new show, ‘The Boss’ will play records from his own personal collection and share his thoughts and stories, direct from his home in New Jersey exclusively on Radio Nova in Ireland.
    “I am one of Bruce’s biggest fans. I’ve seen him so many times live and now I’m going to share a microphone with him. This is a career highlight no doubt!” said Colm Hayes,
    Radio Nova Programme Director and Breakfast Show Presenter.
    career highlight?! sure he can stick on an Elvis or Beatles track and claim the same about "sharing a microphone"!

rubadub wrote: »
    +1, was bound to happen!

career highlight?! sure he can stick on an Elvis or Beatles track and claim the same about "sharing a microphone"!
    I think the word "boss" was an almost dead giveaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think the word "boss" was an almost dead giveaway.

Yeah, I was sure it was the Springsteen thing, I'm more talking about them deliberately misleading people into thinking he is going to be in the actual studio, sharing mics etc.

They know exactly what they are at and have left enough leeway to say "oh we never meant to imply that", yes you fcuking did!
    direct from his home in New Jersey exclusively on Radio Nova in Ireland.
    should be "direct from his home in New Jersey, broadcast on stations around the world, exclusively in Ireland on Radio Nova."

But the sharing the mic bit takes the biscuit, career highlight, they stick on Springsteen recordings daily!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

To be fair the did try pull the exclusive card with other famous presenters in the past too, with Alice Cooper and Rick Wakeman if I recall correctly.
    Same set up, they recorded a show and sold it to stations worldwide.

How do Nova pay the bill for this if they're already struggling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭KildareP

I can't see it working or lasting long.

98FM tried similar with Ryan Seacrest and it was quietly dropped. They had Seacrest "localise" the links so it sounded like he was presenting exclusively for 98FM (which led to much pisstaking by Ray Foley, joined later on by Adrian and Jeremy when they started with 98FM :P)

Seems very common in the USA where networking and syndication is practically a given for most stations and you have hundreds of "HD radio" sub-streams and the likes of SiriusXM. When you try and bring it to a station here it just sounds "American". Even back in the day Atlantic 252 didn't stick with the faux-American sound for too long!

Kamili wrote: »
    To be fair the did try pull the exclusive card with other famous presenters in the past too, with Alice Cooper and Rick Wakeman if I recall correctly.
    Same set up, they recorded a show and sold it to stations worldwide.

How do Nova pay the bill for this if they're already struggling?

If memory serves me right, Rick Wakeman did mention Nova quite a bit. I think he may have had a specific arrangement with Nova - could be wrong about that of course.

KildareP wrote: »
    I can't see it working or lasting long.

98FM tried similar with Ryan Seacrest and it was quietly dropped. They had Seacrest "localise" the links so it sounded like he was presenting exclusively for 98FM (which led to much pisstaking by Ray Foley, joined later on by Adrian and Jeremy when they started with 98FM :P)

Seems very common in the USA where networking and syndication is practically a given for most stations and you have hundreds of "HD radio" sub-streams and the likes of SiriusXM. When you try and bring it to a station here it just sounds "American". Even back in the day Atlantic 252 didn't stick with the faux-American sound for too long!

To be fair, some of their presenters were actually American, especially in the first year!

• Advertisement

If memory serves me right, Rick Wakeman did mention Nova quite a bit. I think he may have had a specific arrangement with Nova - could be wrong about that of course.

Kinda the same with Alice Coopers show on Planet Rock on Mondays. The rest of the week seems just like the syndicated show but Monday feels a bit more personal to PR.

Advertisement