Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radio nova

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

jvan wrote: »
    I think he had a similar pop at management before, think it was on 2fm though when Will Leahy was getting axed.

Think he had some digs when he left himself. Is still one of the greats on radio but most stations are just interested in revenue rather than happy listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

FanadMan wrote: »
    Think he had some digs when he left himself. Is still one of the greats on radio but most stations are just interested in revenue rather than happy listeners.

JC and Pat are good mates and proper music fans, whaay out of place on a sh1t station that Branigan has let "The Rock" become..Really hope this backfires on Branigan...Pat seems to have a big listenership and fanbase...probably only matched by JC's show.....if they try the same with him it'll be the end of nova...which is a good thing...the whole station stinks now, no decent music , no identity.....bit like 2FM...
    I'll be listening to Pat on digital nova next week.....or whereever he lays his hat..;)

Branigan..youre a pussy....grow another pair and dump Hayes before its too late for you...

JC and Pat are good mates and proper music fans, whaay out of place on a sh1t station that Branigan has let "The Rock" become..Really hope this backfires on Branigan...Pat seems to have a big listenership and fanbase...probably only matched by JC's show.....if they try the same with him it'll be the end of nova...which is a good thing...the whole station stinks now, no decent music , no identity.....bit like 2FM...
    I'll be listening to Pat on digital nova next week.....or whereever he lays his hat..;)

Branigan..youre a pussy....grow another pair and dump Hayes before its too late for you...

Don't know if Branners has much to do with it anymore. Nova is owned by Bay Broadcasting so they probably call the shots.

Don't know if Branners has much to do with it anymore. Nova is owned by Bay Broadcasting so they probably call the shots.

Youre probably right...but he's a director so he should thump trump Hayes.....:)

What way does this digital thingy work then..?...is the whole programming schedule going digital too..??..are they doing away with the FM..??....

. Branigan now points to investment in programming as being key to the station’s future growth plans. “We’ve already begun a growth strategy with the appointment of broadcaster Colm Hayes as Programme Director earlier this year and our audience is on an upward growth curve”....right up its own arse...........

Max - don't know what will happen with the rest of the shows, whether they'll go digital only or not.

Think to hear OTR you go to the digital option on the app (the red square) and it'll be listed there. Or on the website, go to Radio and choose Nova Digital Radio.

I'll be interested who will be replacing him on FM. I won't be able to check as I'm a long way from the FM zone :D

• Advertisement

I'm loving the nova website, the music news still concentrates on "rock" for some reason..NIN...havent heard their new song on nova yet....oh, and theres an article about Daniel O'Donnell..for Hayes i guess...:p

I'm loving the nova website, the music news still concentrates on "rock" for some reason..NIN...havent heard their new song on nova yet....oh, and theres an article about Daniel O'Donnell..for Hayes i guess...:p

(Cant say )Crap on the radio...very appropriate for nova.....:)

Brilliant finish to OTR on FM. The man has class. At least next week there'll be no ads or news to interrupt the music.

Brilliant finish to OTR on FM. The man has class. At least next week there'll be no ads or news to interrupt the music.

True that....and no reason to listen to nova on fm......Hayes might have done Pat a huge favour....its like Pat has his own station...paid for by nova....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Trebor176 wrote: »
    He said: “You have to set yourself some sort of target, Nova’s a niche radio station, but I think it can be much more relevant especially in the Dublin area, than it is and that’s why they brought me over with that vision, that’s why they brought Lucy over.

• Advertisement

He said: “You have to set yourself some sort of target, Nova’s a niche radio station, but I think it can be much more relevant especially in the Dublin area, than it is and that’s why they brought me over with that vision, that’s why they brought Lucy over.

Did you ever read such a load of tripe..."niche" he obviously doesnt know the meaning of the word, i think he meant "samey"....he only brought Loosey over so he'd have someone to bully and make lewd comments to..he makes my skin crawl...sap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

It was a lovely dedication to him but think the digs were a bit too subtle for the upstairs to understand......anyone that thinks that Colm & Lucy are a good match for the breakfast show are, well, a bit thick :D

anyone got a rough time for this so i can listen back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kritical

Folks

A couple of points here

1. What Nova did to Pat James is not an exclusive, Today fm did exactly the same thing to Nadeine O’Regan’s show in recent days - it’s called the homogenousisation of radio . Spot Nova from 2fm or Spin or Today fm at most times of the days and you can’t

2. Th BAI are tolerating it and it seems to me in at least in some cases , in direct contravention of their licences . Though I’m sure this point would be disagreed with by the aforementioned stations who undoubtedly have legal opinion in the matter

3. Open question to Nova - why would I listen to your station any more . In my case I don’t and honestly anyone I’ve spoken to who listened has, in the main, turned away from the station

4 . Some recent posters suggested that Pat James take his show to another station such as a RTE digital channel .As fas as I’m aware , RTÉ does not pay most of its contributors on its digital channels - I may be open to correction on this , but that’s what I’ve been told by those involved

5. Bay Broadcasting - a cursory company check suggests owners of the Nova are Mr Brannigan and a business partner through Bay Broadcasting - it also owns some or all of 4fm ( is it still called that ) and Sunshine Radio .all broadcast from same building.

6. Open question - why do so many stations in Ireland seem to consider that the failed 2fm model will work anywhere else , as of a few years ago it was believed to be making heavy losses. I say believed as it’s not always easy to split out it’s costs in the RTE annual report

7. Final observation, it’s now possible to drive from one end of this island to the other and hear practically the same songs on most stations

2018 , IMO , the words of American Pie become reality - the day the music died

My own personal new slogan for Irish radio is I’ve switched off, have you ?

Ps for what it’s worth , Irish radio management does not care what you think

I agree with this, although i think Pat has a lot more fans/listeners than Nadine, who i like a lot also...as you say theyre all the same its just a choice of whick presenter you dislike the most...
    Its sad that the Ban Anything Interesting can turn a blind eye to the lack of choice on irish radio....is it any wonder so few young people listen...young people wont tolerate endless ads or continuous waffle, theyre too busy for this..FM radio is for the over 30's, more so over 50's who grew up listening to "real" music...wheres me pipe...!!!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I agree with this, although i think Pat has a lot more fans/listeners than Nadine, who i like a lot also...as you say theyre all the same its just a choice of whick presenter you dislike the most...
    Its sad that the Ban Anything Interesting can turn a blind eye to the lack of choice on irish radio....is it any wonder so few young people listen...young people wont tolerate endless ads or continuous waffle, theyre too busy for this..FM radio is for the over 30's, more so over 50's who grew up listening to "real" music...wheres me pipe...!!!:P
    For those who haven't signed it already...
    https://www.change.org/p/bay-broadcasting-ltd-to-save-the-pat-james-show-on-radio-nova

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Any suggestions for a morning radio station that I can leave set in my car? I occasionally get 10-15 minutes of radio in the morning, not long enough to bother pairing phone etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Kritical wrote: »

I've certainly switched nova off, can't listen to C&L, Morty or any of those DJs anymore - they just grate on me immensely.

like another poster here I've resurrected my CD collection and cleared the dust out of my car multi CD changer and stacked it up of old CDS I had. Much better and I can listen to music I like.

I forgot how good the Opeth Damnation album was!

Never a truer word typed...

Kamili wrote: »
    I've certainly switched nova off, can't listen to C&L, Morty or any of those DJs anymore - they just grate on me immensely.

like another poster here I've resurrected my CD collection and cleared the dust out of my car multi CD changer and stacked it up of old CDS I had. Much better and I can listen to music I like.

I forgot how good the Opeth Damnation album was!

Never a truer word typed...

Their best imo....you can just hear Steven Wilson all over it...

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭peterobrien100

Folks

A couple of points here

3. Open question to Nova - why would I listen to your station any more . In my case I don’t and honestly anyone I’ve spoken to who listened has, in the main, turned away from the station

4 . Some recent posters suggested that Pat James take his show to another station such as a RTE digital channel .As fas as I’m aware , RTÉ does not pay most of its contributors on its digital channels - I may be open to correction on this , but that’s what I’ve been told by those involved

7. Final observation, it’s now possible to drive from one end of this island to the other and hear practically the same songs on most stations

2018 , IMO , the words of American Pie become reality - the day the music died

Very valid points and disturbingly you have hit the nail on the head.

as regards your points number

3 Obviously Nova have their own vision and collateral damage such as the loss of OTR and I think Power Ballads Thursday is the start of the cull Steve Downes The Classics and Friday Night Rock Show will be next, hopefully Peter Devlin will survive. The owners did this at 4fm when it needed major surgery so massive radical changes could also be on the way.

4. My big worry about listening online to Nova is that they always have issues playback not working, cant download, streams not working and then apps not updated causing issues. They made a huge song and dance about the digital channels and they never seem to invest or market them any further. Whereas RTE Gold or Zenith streams perfect. Will PJ be still paid and they have someone else on main FM air at same time I really wonder.

7. Isnt this the big Nova plan to go nationwide so they will sound like a hybrid Todayfm / 2 fm certainly heading that way personality and play list wise.

Radio died the minute feckers from Australia start to tell irish people what they want to listen to and stations pumping thousands into research on focus groups.

Nadine and OTR finishing is just more bullets in the dead carcass.

My fear is that Al Porter will take over Sunday nights because of his relationship with CH, please please let me be wrong.

In response to your slogan I switch on in the car at home its digital all the way.

The big question is "Who listens to the radio on sunday nights..??"...there has to be a good reason..Pat was that ,certainly on nova anyway...imo theres no other reason or station that caters for my choice of music...Al Porter..another "celebrity"..talk about jobs for the boys...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

guile4582 wrote: »
    anyone got a rough time for this so i can listen back?

I "think" it was within the last hour/hour and a half. Sunday is my lie-in day so wasn't really clock watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 appletara

Good god the water sounds in the background of Pat Courtenays show today are doing my head in. I really really really miss Peter Devlin!

appletara wrote: »
    Good god the water sounds in the background of Pat Courtenays show today are doing my head in. I really really really miss Peter Devlin!

His bag must be leaking again....:D.......have you not got Tunein on your phone....:confused:..i've been listening to GotRadio classic rock....i have to say, and it pains me but...its better than Zenith,:o.... but not Planet Rock...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭prunudo

appletara wrote: »

Becareful what you wish for, Pat may have a different sense of humour but he still plays decent songs. When he gets ditched for some gombeen celebrity dj presenting drivetime you'll be wishing Pat back.

Becareful what you wish for, Pat may have a different sense of humour but he still plays decent songs. When he gets ditched for some gombeen celebrity dj presenting drivetime you'll be wishing Pat back.

Ehhhh.....no thanks, one gobshyte is enough thanks....he won't be moved,he plays ball...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I just hope my recurring nightmare doesn't come true. The presenter in question is currently presenting a rival drivetime show as well as narrating an international reality show. Don't get me wrong, he's good at what he does but I don't think Nova is the station for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

This is the fallacy which gives us thousands of posts on this thread, all of them negative.

Irish radio management very much cares what you (plural) think, but it doesn't care what you (singular) think. But people often think they're the same thing.

The internet gives people a platform to express their opinions and no matter what that opinion is, there is someone online who'll share it and endorse it. So you get validated and you think that your own opinion is more widely held than it is. Whether that's anti-vaxxing, George Bush planned 9/11 or whatever, you'll find someone to back you up.

What's that got to do with Nova? Well, if you read back over this thread, you'd think people were switching off Nova en masse. Literally every post is some guy saying "that's it, I'm out".

But the reality is that the JNLR figures are going up. As long as that keeps happening, why would they change tack? If you have results from a proper independent survey that tells you one thing, and anecdotal complaints from social media that tell you another, which do you trust?

Maybe Colm & Lucy will be a turning point and they'll lose so many listeners it will force a rethink. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. (I don't really like it myself but it's better than any alternative breakfast show.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭prunudo

But lets face it, the jnlr figures will keep going up as they turn the station into samey samey or todayfm lite or whatever you want to call it.
    A rock based music station is a niche market and there are only a finite amount of people who will listen. If they keep dumbing down the content and bringing in 'celebrity dj's then people will move across from other stations.

Higher figures in jnlr's doesn't necessarily mean better radio. The sad truth is that they want higher numbers so they can attract more advertisers. The bai should step in, their license wasnt issued on it being the same as everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

TBH I doubt the BAI really care either, I'd be surprised if they do actually step in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kritical

This is the fallacy which gives us thousands of posts on this thread, all of them negative.

Irish radio management very much cares what you (plural) think, but it doesn't care what you (singular) think. But people often think they're the same thing.

The internet gives people a platform to express their opinions and no matter what that opinion is, there is someone online who'll share it and endorse it. So you get validated and you think that your own opinion is more widely held than it is. Whether that's anti-vaxxing, George Bush planned 9/11 or whatever, you'll find someone to back you up.

What's that got to do with Nova? Well, if you read back over this thread, you'd think people were switching off Nova en masse. Literally every post is some guy saying "that's it, I'm out".

But the reality is that the JNLR figures are going up. As long as that keeps happening, why would they change tack? If you have results from a proper independent survey that tells you one thing, and anecdotal complaints from social media that tell you another, which do you trust?

Maybe Colm & Lucy will be a turning point and they'll lose so many listeners it will force a rethink. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. (I don't really like it myself but it's better than any alternative breakfast show.)

Sorry but I disagree , Radio management is interested in product not listeners and there is little evidence that Listnership is increasing for any station in Ireland. What is happening is that stations are spinning JNLRs to squeeze out the bits they like. All we can say in Ireland for sure is that reach is still 82-83% despite lack of choice - probably says more about us than stations.

Advertisement