Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

The Rower were obviously out to avenge last year's league result where the Boro ripped them apart and won pulling up by 15 points. The Rower tore into the Boro in the first quarter and rushed to a 0-6 to 0-2 lead inside ten minutes. The Boro started to get back into it a bit before the water break with it being 0-7 to 0-4. The Boro got on top after this but it was still a tight affair as the torrential rain came down but the Boro got to the half a point ahead 0-11 to 0-10. The first half was highly entertaining with the Rower half back line dominating and setting up attacks at will. Boro's defence struggled to get on top but eventually got to grips with the challenge and started setting up good opportunities for the forwards both sides had shots on goal saved with James Logue in the Rower goal pulling off a few beauties.
    The second half started with misfortune for Richie Leahy as he pulled up with a hamstring tear in his left leg within 20 seconds of the restart. I can't imagine Leahy will play much part in the remainder of their league campaign. The Boro got on top here and scored a few points to push the lead out to 13 but the rain was making play difficult. The Rower completely lost their shape up front when Leahy went off but their defence was doing it's job and limiting the Boro opportunities to score. The Rower had just pulled back a point with a free from David Kelly when Rower midfielder Ciaran Ryan hit Andy Gaffney late off the puck out. Ryan got a yellow card. Within 20seconds of the restart Ryan was at it again and got a second yellow and the line. David Kelly got another free directly after the sending off to bring it back to 0-13 to 0-12. This would be The Rowers final score of the game and the game was effectively over as a contest and as the rain eased off the Boro started to convert the opportunities they were creating. The Rower defence still did well to limit them from points but in the final quarter the Boro applied the pressure and after a jinking and mazy run through the defence and around defenders Bill Sheehan laid off the perfect pass to the on rushing Chris Kavanagh who rifled the ball to the far corner. Directly from the puckout the Boro secured the ball and again a pop pass to a thundering Aidan Nolan who charges through the defence from 50+ yards and batted the sliotor past James Logue from the edge of the big square. It finished out 2-16 to 0-12.

Could have been a different match but for the rain and the loss of Leahy and the the red card. However I think the Boro were always the fitter team and once they started taking their chances there was only going to be one winner. The Rower fought really hard and the score line was probably unfair to them but when you play most of the second half with only 2 men inside and losing your best forward it was always going to be tough. The best players for the Rower were Leahy, Pat Lyng and James Logue. The Boro had a great performance from Shane Stapleton in midfield with 4 from play and 6 frees along with it, Buckley looked back to his best and organised the defence and delivered great ball forward. Bill Sheehan and Mark Nolan caused plenty of trouble up front throughout and Aidan Nolan finished the game very strongly.

I think the Rower will struggle without Leahy but won't be easy beat either, I'd suspect Clara and the Vat would have too much for them without Leahy. The Boro were rusty but seemed to blow off the cobwebs by the end. They'll have a tough test against GBC and then a very stern test against Comer to finish out the group phase. The should win at least one more and might win both if they play to their ability. The Boro were missing a lot of players with niggles and I would hope as they come back they'll get stronger but injuries are going to be the issue for all teams. For instance the Boro were missing 4 starting backs last night and another 4 or 5 lads who were starting a lot last year too. I'm sure the Rower were missing a few as well and I think the teams with the strongest panels will go the furthest in this year's championship.

I think the teams with the strongest deepest panels are O'Loughlin's, Dicksboro and maybe Clara and the Bridge. They might not have stars but their all strong teams who are not greatly weakened when they loose 4 or 5 players.

Anyway great to get the first round of games under the belt and get a feel for where teams are the next round will tell much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭corner back 2

I hope I'm not the only one who enjoys seeing match reports on here so I'll do a brief one on Graignamanagh V Galmoy in the Junior Championship. This game was a tempestuous encounter that somehow ended up with only 1 red card for Graig. 2 for each team would probably have been fair but there could have been a few more. However it was a very entertaining game which had a bit of everything including a 39 minute 2nd half! Graig started well and led from start to finish but Galmoy will surely rue a number of missed goal chances in the first half. Graig tightened up well in the 2nd half dropping their midfield deep and using the strengthening wind well to pick off some great long range points. A lack of a programme means I cant give credit to the best on the Galmoy team. For Graignamanagh Richard Foley was outstanding but it was probably the best team performance by them for a long time. The work rate of the Graig forwards in particular was excellent in the 2nd half with pressure on clearances leading to a number of scores. As a Graig man I was delighted leaving the match and hopefully we can have a repeat performance versus Kilmacow next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KK36

big_drive wrote: »
    Out of interest just wondering where the Cork influence you refer to is coming from?

Isn’t their trainer a Cork man??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

KK36 wrote: »
    Isn’t their trainer a Cork man??

He is a former Waterford senior hurler from Lismore. Trained cork teams to senior titles down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KK36

He is a former Waterford senior hurler from Lismore. Trained cork teams to senior titles down there.

Sound. So I guess it’s a Waterford style they’re playing at times so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 doel

Anyone give me a good reason why M Murphy from Comer isnt in running for county team , let alone the panel?
    He has been absolutely outstanding in bothe games so far this year aswell as all of last year. Running defences ragged on his own at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Comerman

doel wrote: »
    Anyone give me a good reason why M Murphy from Comer isnt in running for county team , let alone the panel?
    He has been absolutely outstanding in bothe games so far this year aswell as all of last year. Running defences ragged on his own at times.
    He’s around 31, Some display from him yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Dicksboro had an easy win against a feisty but limited GBC team who are without Billy Ryan.
    A fairly pernickety display by Gavin Quilty mean't his whistle was going non stop and for a lot of soft frees and then he wouldn't see the bad ones so hard to tell much about either team. Only for the frees the scoreline would have been 0-18 to 0-5 and probably would have been a fairer reflection on the difference between the teams. The Boro squandered at least 4 gilt edged goal chances and they will need to start taking them if their to take on the bigger boys over the remaining weeks. I could give a blow by blow but once the Boro went ahead after 2 minutes they were never behind GBC managed to get level with them occasionally in the first half but it was mainly one way traffic. Boro had 3 players back from their injured list Robbie Fitzpatrick, Conor Fitzpatrick and Andy Gaffney. The two Fitzpatricks did well in the back lines and Andy Gaffney started out playing well and got himself an early point but he fell hard on his shoulder and it looked like a collar bone break. It's unlikely Andy will feature again for the Boro, they also lost Robbie Murphy who came on as sub but seemed to badly tear his hamstring, 4 weeks at best I'd assume. Hard to pick anyone out for GBC but Sean Ryan played well from play and free's, their centre back and full back Egan and Flynn did their best to stem the flow Hoyne in goal also made some great saves it would have been a different scoreline without him. The Boro had good performances by Ollie Walsh, Aidan and Mark Nolan, and Shane Stapleton. Young Liam Moore came on for the Boro in the second half and settled in after a bit and got himself a nice point from distance.

Final score 0-24 to 0-13

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Comerman wrote: »
    He’s around 31, Some display from him yesterday.
    Was brought in when about 20 0r 21. I'd say the " Comer Lifestyle" didn't tie in with Cody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Comerman

Was brought in when about 20 0r 21. I'd say the " Comer Lifestyle" didn't tie in with Cody.

Comer lifestyle??? Do you know something about Murphy that I don't? Do tell

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Comerman wrote: »
      Comer lifestyle??? Do you know something about Murphy that I don't? Do tell

Apilogies to MMurphy.I probably meant temprament.The man is too relaxed to be an intercounty hurler. Fabulous stickman though.

1. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Comerman

Apilogies to MMurphy.I probably meant temprament.The man is too relaxed to be an intercounty hurler. Fabulous stickman though.

Fair enough but I think relaxed is still a tough assessment, there has been plenty of "inter county" players over the last 10 years who wouldn't of been and still aren't a patch on Murphy who were kept on the panel for one reason or another

1. Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kilkenny34

Any word on Colin Fennelly and the 2 Mullans injuries?

2. Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

kilkenny34 wrote: »
        Any word on Colin Fennelly and the 2 Mullans injuries?

Scanlon,leahy and Darren mullen are all out with hamstring I think.Colin fennelly didnt look right against tullaron and billy ryan has yet to feature for ballycallan.Alot of clubs missing a few through various injuries but hamstring seems the most common.

3. Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I didnt see any hurling this weekend but the boro had a big win over a usually tight defence from comer.the boro took over in the second half and kept michael murphy quite.
        The bridge had a good win over tullaron.Blanchfiekd got a goal and a few points.the bridge seemed to have swapped the two Morrisseys with enda now in attack but they have a good spine and could be there abouts after dissapointing last year.
        Clara beat the rower who lost joyce with an eye injury and joe lyng with hamstring.Leahy seems to be in trouble and could be gone for a long time.
        The shamrocks got the job done and are up and running.
        Vegas got their first win over ballycallan who are struggling and badly missing billy ryan.John walsh the go to man for vegas
        A lot of high scores over the weekend and great weather for hurling.its a pity they cant let a few more spectators in.

4. Advertisement
      5. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

By my reckoning the four 1st Round Knockout Games will be:

Bennettsbridge v Graigue Ballycallan
        Shamrocks v Inistioge
        Tullaroan v Comer
        Danesfort v Mullinavat

With the top two in both groups progressing to the Quarter Finals:
        O'Loughlins, James Stephens, Dicksboro and Clara.

6. Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kilkenny34

Are these games next weekend or 2 weeks?Would expect big wins for Ballyhale and Bennetsbridge,Mullinavat should have enough for Danesfort.Tullaroan n Comer to me would be the most evenly balanced game but reckon Comer will do enough.

7. Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

kilkenny34 wrote: »
        Are these games next weekend or 2 weeks?Would expect big wins for Ballyhale and Bennetsbridge,Mullinavat should have enough for Danesfort.Tullaroan n Comer to me would be the most evenly balanced game but reckon Comer will do enough.

I think it's a break next weekend then its into knock out and relegation.Wexfords county final is next weekend.they ran it off fairly quickly.

8. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭kksaints

brookville wrote: »
        I think it's a break next weekend then its into knock out and relegation.Wexfords county final is next weekend.they ran it off fairly quickly.

Their football championship starts the week after that, I don't expect too many of their inter county hurlers will be playing football after the first week or so. Although depending on the covid case numbers trend, it might have been a good idea to have run it off as quickly as possible.

9. Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

BoroMan32 wrote: »
        By my reckoning the four 1st Round Knockout Games will be:

Bennettsbridge v Graigue Ballycallan
        Shamrocks v Inistioge
        Tullaroan v Comer
        Danesfort v Mullinavat

With the top two in both groups progressing to the Quarter Finals:
        O'Loughlins, James Stephens, Dicksboro and Clara.

What format are you using. Are bottom 4 not in relegation simi

10. Advertisement
      11. Registered Users Posts: 19 ClubFirst

What format are you using. Are bottom 4 not in relegation simi

All teams bar the top two in each group are not safe from relagation . You loose First Rd you out of championship and into relagation semi final

12. Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭blackcard

What format are you using. Are bottom 4 not in relegation

13. Registered Users Posts: 19 ClubFirst

blackcard wrote: »
        What format are you using. Are bottom 4 not in relegation

3rd vrs 6th
        4th vrs 5th
        Both groups
        Open draw for losers for relagation Semi Finals

14. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

St. Canice’s Credit Union Senior Hurling Championship 2020 &
        Michael Lyng Motors Hyundai Intermediate Hurling Championship
        1st Round Knockout Games
        • 3rd in Group A v 6th in Group B
        • 4th in Group A v 5th in Group B
        • 5th in Group A v 4th in Group B
        • 6th in Group A v 3rd in Group B

• Four 1st Round losers drawn and play relegation Semi Finals
        • Quarter Final Draws - 1st and 2nd placed teams from Groups A & B are
        seeded and joined by 1st round winners.
        • Semi Finals Open Draw

15. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭kksaints

Watching the St Patrick's vs John Lockes stream which is a good quality stream and have had no problems with.

Match is poor, neither side is impressing. Lockes don't really have any forward doing anything.
        Their keeper dropping the sliother when pucking it out was a particular low point. Scriven is getting a lot of possession but is wasting most of it. Pat's are better but can't say anyone is standing out for them. Is there any reason why Kevin Kelly is in midfield? Hope 2nd half is better.

16. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭kksaints

St Patrick's win by 14 in the end. Bad match although Ballyragget could only really beat what was but in front of them and that was a woeful John Lockes side. Its hard to see them staying up with a poor attack and a backline which conceded 4 goals which really should have been 6.

17. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

brookville wrote: »
        I didnt see any hurling this weekend but the boro had a big win over a usually tight defence from comer.the boro took over in the second half and kept michael murphy quite.
        The bridge had a good win over tullaron.Blanchfiekd got a goal and a few points.the bridge seemed to have swapped the two Morrisseys with enda now in attack but they have a good spine and could be there abouts after dissapointing last year.
        Clara beat the rower who lost joyce with an eye injury and joe lyng with hamstring.Leahy seems to be in trouble and could be gone for a long time.
        The shamrocks got the job done and are up and running.
        Vegas got their first win over ballycallan who are struggling and badly missing billy ryan.John walsh the go to man for vegas
        A lot of high scores over the weekend and great weather for hurling.its a pity they cant let a few more spectators in.

Will Blanchfield be the new Colin Fennelly for KK i.e. same role at full forward? - bustling target man who wins frees and scores goals.

I remember the goal he got in PP V Dublin a few years ago that won the game plus I saw him for Carlow IT in the Fitzgibbon Final this year: he scored a goal was was a real handful until he went off injured with the hamstring.

18. Posts: 0 ✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

Would people ever think of players lives at the moment before they post on face book thinking they are perfect as they feel its there duty to be judge jury on players. An incident happened with a north kilkenny club last saturday week after a live stream of a match a so called man flittered players managment etc he was suppose to be a hurling person as he reckoned, this incident had a bad effect on players one of them had to take sick leave so lads lassies out there think before you talk because you do not know the effect things at the moment are having on people.

19. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Anybody solve a query?

Has T.J. 4 or 5 NHL medals and if so, what years?

20. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Anybody solve a query?

Has T.J. 4 or 5 NHL medals and if so, what years?

National Hurling League (4): 2009, 2012, 2014, 2018

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

21. Advertisement
      22. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

greenspurs wrote: »
        National Hurling League (4): 2009, 2012, 2014, 2018[/quote

Must have been injured in '13.]

23. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Must have been injured in '13.]

He broke his knee cap in 2012, so I think he came back after the Lge in 2013 (I think)

24. Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Are we hanging by a thread to get club fixtures finished
        Few reports of cases in clubs.this break could be longer than planned

25. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

yes...
        more and more now ! :rolleyes:

26. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

He broke his knee cap in 2012, so I think he came back after the Lge in 2013 (I think)

Yep he missed the 2013 League because of a broken kneecap (from a dirty pull by Iarlaith Tannion in the 2012 AI Final Replay)

27. Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bamayang

Which end of the county are they?

28. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

bamayang wrote: »
        Which end of the county are they?

North and South

29. Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Won't mention anyone by name for obvious reasons.
        But a club played players who had parents confirmed positive on Friday. Let sons play the game and then contacted county board on Sunday. Both clubs are now stood down awaiting players tests that were done this morning. We may just call it all off. if clubs can't be trusted

30. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Village87

But a club played players who had parents confirmed positive on Friday. Let sons play the game and then contacted county board on Sunday. Both clubs are now stood down awaiting players tests that were done this morning. We may just call it all off. if clubs can't be trusted

That club should be thrown out of all competition as a result of negligence.

31. Advertisement
      32. Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bamayang

Hypothetical question: Say a club has to 'stand down' activities for a week due to a case or two in the middle of championship Would there be a walk-over or delay the match?

33. Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

bamayang wrote: »
        Hypothetical question: Say a club has to 'stand down' activities for a week due to a case or two in the middle of championship Would there be a walk-over or delay the match?

Currently one of the junior camogie teams are stood down. Hoping for all clear this week.1/4 finals have been moved back a week to accommodate.

34. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I've been told who this club is and I'm just wondering why we shouldn't name them because personally I think **** em. But I'll refrain since others are

35. Posts: 0 ✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

kksaints wrote: »
        St Patrick's win by 14 in the end. Bad match although Ballyragget could only really beat what was but in front of them and that was a woeful John Lockes side. Its hard to see them staying up with a poor attack and a backline which conceded 4 goals which really should have been 6.

You have to remember Ballyragget were senior for a couple of years Callan were only junior two years ago.

36. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭kksaints

Fred Daly wrote: »
        You have to remember Ballyragget were senior for a couple of years Callan were only junior two years ago.

Fair enough but John Lockes were unbelievably bad.

37. Posts: 0 ✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

Must have been injured in '13.][/QUOTE

Cody was also out sick that time Fogarty, Dempsey , took over the reins in that league final.

38. Advertisement
      39. Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭robwen

I've been told who this club is and I'm just wondering why we shouldn't name them because personally I think **** em. But I'll refrain since others are

What I heard is that the family in question didn't inform their own club till after the game

40. Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭blackcard

Will Blanchfield be the new Colin Fennelly for KK i.e. same role at full forward? - bustling target man who wins frees and scores goals.

I remember the goal he got in PP V Dublin a few years ago that won the game plus I saw him for Carlow IT in the Fitzgibbon Final this year: he scored a goal was was a real handful until he went off injured with the hamstring.

Blanchfield seemed to put on a couple of stones with strength and conditioning in his first winter training, with the county,he lost pace and it seemed to affect his confidence. Looks trimmer now and he was in the top 3 forwards at club level last year. I would still like to see him lose another stone as he is well built anyway and I would like to see him get a good run with the county, still only 23

41. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

robwen wrote: »
        What I heard is that the family in question didn't inform their own club till after the game

That is not true.

42. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Village87

Is the club you are on about Thomastown. I heard a parent of 2 club players has tested positive.

43. Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

That is not true.

People are jumping to conclusions too quickly. Check out the facts first.
        Perhaps the guys in question had no contact with their mother.
        The Covid tests are being questioned for their accuracy.

44. Advertisement
      This discussion has been closed.
      Advertisement