Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

If this team starts it looks to me Cody is going to swamp the middle 3rd. Browne and Fogarty as defensive midfielders with Hogan and Leahy dropping back to help out or will it be a 3 man midfield with 2 in the full forward line. With Walter and Maher on the bench it also gives options off then bench which will be needed in a tight game and fatigue creeping in. We need to set the tempo from the whistle. If we do this we have a great chance. Let Cork play there game and it could be over at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Village87

Middle will be swamped and Padraig Walsh will have the job of hurling loose ball as Fogarty will sit deep, Kilkenny looking to play same plan that beat cork in 2006play with 10/11 players in our own half.Leahy will play deep as third midfielder. Route one into John Donnelly, Mullen , Hogan and TJ who are all good in the air and will spend time in the full forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 takeyourpoint

Just wondering why is the named senior panel 26 & the minor named minor panel 24 ?
    Hopefully we will get the win in both games tomorrow and best of luck to the two teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Village87 wrote: »
    Middle will be swamped and Padraig Walsh will have the job of hurling loose ball as Fogarty will sit deep, Kilkenny looking to play same plan that beat cork in 2006play with 10/11 players in our own half.Leahy will play deep as third midfielder. Route one into John Donnelly, Mullen , Hogan and TJ who are all good in the air and will spend time in the full forward line.

So yer going to play a sweeper?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

So yer going to play a sweeper?

Guys are just giving their opinions on here.

They would certainly not be able to deduce what game plan/team Brian will bring on the day.

They can throw in a guess but genuinely do not know - why would you let your opposition know your game plan for a given day.

I expect Kilkenny to bury a lot of their demons tomorrow and good luck to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Really hope richie starts.also wonder how ger has not made the matchday panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭brookville

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Really hope richie starts.also wonder how ger has not made the matchday panel.

Think ger is injured maybe tommy is aswell? but for the first time this year we have buckley and richie starting.I think starting richie will hopefully give something cork something else to think about and hopefully take the pressure off tj.A hogan at 70 percent will take watching and he has great vision even if it will take him time to settle into the match.
    I hope we get our match ups right tomor it will be a big test for our full back line.Lawlor has being very steady to date and learning his trade but horgan will be some test if he can hold his own tomor it will be a good days work.I do have reservations over paul murphy but hopefully he'll prove me wrong.
    Big day for donnelly tomor he has great hands hopefully he really comes of age tomor and mullen keeps up his good form.We have a few options from the bench aswell wally and maher will be good subs

brookville wrote: »
    Think ger is injured maybe tommy is aswell? but for the first time this year we have buckley and richie starting.I think starting richie will hopefully give something cork something else to think about and hopefully take the pressure off tj.A hogan at 70 percent will take watching and he has great vision even if it will take him time to settle into the match.
    I hope we get our match ups right tomor it will be a big test for our full back line.Lawlor has being very steady to date and learning his trade but horgan will be some test if he can hold his own tomor it will be a good days work.I do have reservations over paul murphy but hopefully he'll prove me wrong.
    Big day for donnelly tomor he has great hands hopefully he really comes of age tomor and mullen keeps up his good form.We have a few options from the bench aswell wally and maher will be good subs
    Really delughted to richie back,as I for 1 still think he has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Motivator

rebs23 wrote: »
    He’s not a Cork fan, no way would we be motivating KK for Sunday.

I’m living in Cork but not a Cork man at all. I just think this Cork team are primed to give a poor Kilkenny team the run around. Kilkenny haven’t one line on the team that I think can dominate. Apart from Reid, the forwards are very poor. Midfield isn’t as strong as it probably should be the two lads are good hurlers but go missing too often, the backs aren’t consistent enough at all. Murphy is the second best player on the team which says it all about this Kilkenny team at present.

The Cork forwards will click tomorrow, last weekend was the perfect game to let them get their eye in. They’ll probably score half what they did last week but they’ll concede an awful lot less too. Nash is going to be the main man for them tomorrow. His quick puckouts are worth 5 or 6 points to Cork in every game and with the movement of their forwards I think Kilkenny won’t be able to live with them. They’re just fitter, smarter and better all over the pitch.

Motivator wrote: »
    I’m living in Cork but not a Cork man at all. I just think this Cork team are primed to give a poor Kilkenny team the run around. Kilkenny haven’t one line on the team that I think can dominate. Apart from Reid, the forwards are very poor. Midfield isn’t as strong as it probably should be the two lads are good hurlers but go missing too often, the backs aren’t consistent enough at all. Murphy is the second best player on the team which says it all about this Kilkenny team at present.

The Cork forwards will click tomorrow, last weekend was the perfect game to let them get their eye in. They’ll probably score half what they did last week but they’ll concede an awful lot less too. Nash is going to be the main man for them tomorrow. His quick puckouts are worth 5 or 6 points to Cork in every game and with the movement of their forwards I think Kilkenny won’t be able to live with them. They’re just fitter, smarter and better all over the pitch.
    entitled to your opinion but Im confident in.our team.if westmeath can score 20 pts I can see us putting up enough to win.everyone talks about the cork forwards but what about their backs.ever since 13 they have conceded big scores which have cost them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He also costs us a few points with his quick puckouts, every single game. Bigger pitch will suit his puckout style athough, hopefully.
    There will be a lot of movement/positional changes by the fowards of both teams throughout the match, whichever set of players make the most of it will be a telling factor. All things considered, I think Cork will still win by a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hurleyrebel

For me this is a 50-50 game tomorrow. However, I actually think one of these teams is going to click tomorrow and blow the other one away......I think it's coming.

Head says Kilkenny, heart says Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭therealdonster

rebs23 wrote: »
    He’s not a Cork fan, no way would we be motivating KK for Sunday.

So you think Cork are better then...??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭kk.man

This 'great' Cork team you go on about managed to score one goal against westmeath! I know of a cork man who was at that match and was disgusted as to the lack of intent of going for goals. IT was his belief they were instructed not to go for goals. I wouldn't crow about them yet. By the same token I won't be crowing about Kilkenny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

kk.man wrote: »
    This 'great' Cork team you go on about managed to score one goal against westmeath! I know of a cork man who was at that match and was disgusted as to the lack of intent of going for goals. IT was his belief they were instructed not to go for goals. I wouldn't crow about them yet. By the same token I won't be crowing about Kilkenny.

They were encouraged to go for points, correct. They could have scored a ridiculous amount of goals had they intended to - but I'm glad they didnt.

I remember when JBM was in charge we had a game v Kerry, again it was encouraged to go for points. Think Alan Browne kicked in our only goal that day. They could have a hatful that day aswell I believe, but that would have done nothing for the opposition.

Not 'crowing' btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

dubcat51 wrote: »

if westmeath can score 20 pts I can see us putting up enough to win.

Would be slow to read too much into that. Limerick only scored 19 points against Cork. Does that mean Westmeath are better than Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Best of luck KK , you will need Walter and Liam Blanchfield .
    See what happened today when Cork withdrew Paul Kerrigan ? Well Dublin scored 3 goals . He was the only Cork forward willing to get the ball and run forward.
    Tactics are important , and KK need players willing to drive forward in packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Yeah it's very hard to know what way it'll go and how we will play. I hope we stick with the team named and have finished with the dummy teams. Although if as some suggest, that there will be two changes to the starting team the two I'd like to see in are Delaney and Maher probably for Murphy and Fogarty. Anyway I'm delighted to see Buckley, Hogan Donnelly back in, I think they can make a big difference to how we play. It'll be interesting to see how Browne goes on his championship debut. He has a serious engine alright and hopefully his knowledge of the Cork lads can help him navigate the middle third to good effect.

With that team it's impossible to know how we'll play or how we'll gel. Given the individuals involved I think we'll keep it tight at the back and not let our half back line be drawn out, for me this is key for us to win the game. We'll need our midfield and half forwards to work hard and drop deep. If our forwards can be a bit more accurate and take some of the half goal chances they create we can turn them over. This is a huge game and I hope we take the game to them and come out with a game against Limerick to prepare for.

I'd assume Fogarty will take on Bill Cooper and Browne will be down to keep tabs on Fitzgibbon. It'll be interesting to see what they do with TJ and Richie Hogan and weather they man mark them, they'd be foolish not too but that will allow them two boys to create huge holes in that defence the question is can the others exploit those opportunities and will the delivery be there to give them the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Best of luck to the Minor and Senior teams today. C'mon the Cats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Would be slow to read too much into that. Limerick only scored 19 points against Cork. Does that mean Westmeath are better than Limerick?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Well as Joe Quaid said the more pertinent statistic was that his Westmeath team had 40 odd scoring chances and that a better team would have punished Cork a lot more. He said Westmeath had 17 wide's and 3 or 4 shots were short to the keeper if you include their 20 points it goes to show how vulnerable Cork are at the back. If we keep it tight down the other end and deny their forwards the room to run around in we have a great chance but it's dependant on that I feel they will beat us in a shootout their forwards are more accurate at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

kk.man wrote: »

Are you saying KK teams go for goals against the likes of Westmeath, Offaly etc? Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Hoping for the best today. Unfortunately KK have been so inconsistent this year it's hard to know how they will do. I do think there us a big performance in the team and I hope it's enough. BTW lads debating the Cork Westmeath score get a grip - it has no bearing on today whatsoever!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BlachAmber

Best of luck to our lads playing today. Browne and Donnelly are interesting selections, I’ve been hoping to see more of Donnelly in particular. We have decent options on the bench too so hopefully Brian and his team can react to an intense and tactical game in hot conditions.

Safe travels to all. C’mon Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭blackcard

Hoping for the best but fearing the worst. We have shown no form in our 11 matches this year to suggest that we can beat Cork. I think that to have any chance we have to score more goals than Cork. I would like to see Blanchfield in the full forward line at some stage today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

With all this talk of dummy teams, Kilkenny’s erratic form etc...., I think I can sum up my feelings on today’s game in one short sentence:

Up the f*cking Cats

Just leaving for croker now.really looking forward to this.cmon the������

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭robwen

Minor live..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Brian017

Minors have lost 3-16 to 2-16 they were 12 points down at one stage. Regardless they are through to the SF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭blackcard

Good second half performance puts KK into a semi final against Lk in minors. Totally overrun in the first half but points difference means KK qualify despite losing. Changing midfielders helped as the 2 Dunna lads struggled

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement