Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary O'Rourke Watch

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

She was on Radio1 Saturday morning.
    She went on and on and on stating "I could talk forever"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

I think she has a new book out...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

''Ten thousand and one Radox nights''

A quarter of a century of amusing and wretched letters from selected constituents read between phone calls and ablutions in the Irish midlands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Larking about on Newstalk at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

On the Seven O'Clock show (at six O'Clock) on TV3 at the moment. "It's in my book" she has been heard to say. On with Jedward.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Coming up on Ray D'Arcy Radio1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

etselbbuns wrote: »
    Coming up on Ray D'Arcy Radio1

Thanks for the warning. Will Ray dare ask her about Telecom shares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the warning. Will Ray dare ask her about Telecom shares?

Nope, he won't. Not sure what that was all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Currently on Newstalk mammying on about reviewing bukes

Mammying away on Radio1 with Brendan O'Connor now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

zell12 wrote: »
    Mammying away on Radio1 with Brendan O'Connor now
    I enjoyed that slot with her yesterday - Mammy O'Rourke doing her thing, talking without hesitation, and with great warmth and a sense of humour.

A good tonic for troubled times!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭KaneToad

serfboard wrote: »
    I enjoyed that slot with her yesterday - Mammy O'Rourke doing her thing, talking without hesitation, and with great warmth and a sense of humour.

A good tonic for troubled times!

She's an 82 yr old woman, living alone during a pandemic lock down. I think it's interesting to hear from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Well I'd forgotten that this thread existed, two years since the last post.

Lovely to hear that the neighbour drops in her paper, that's the spirit for these lockdown days.

Did Des's Desert Island Discs at 18:30-19:00 Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Did Des's Desert Island Discs at 18:30-19:00 Thursday

'
    'Arise and follow Charlie'?

Just been chatting to Yates on Newstalk about authors and inspirations.

She really was engaging and interesting to listen to :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,787 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

KaneToad wrote: »
    She's an 82 yr old woman, living alone during a pandemic lock down. I think it's interesting to hear from her.

She's probably got 2 pensions and no shortage of family to look out for her, not really representative of all women in their 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

She's probably got 2 pensions and no shortage of family to look out for her, not really representative of all women in their 80s.

I’d say you are being a tad bit conservative saying ‘2 pensions’.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,787 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I’d say you are being a tad bit conservative saying ‘2 pensions’.

Well let's just say she isnt short of a few bob.

She was on with moncrieff before the lockdown waxing lyrical about the joys of cocooning, actual joy, she was actually looking forward to it.

It was sickening listening to her entitled ivory tower guff.

KaneToad wrote: »

I agree with you, it's good to hear from a demographic that doesn't often appear in the media.

Having said that, she isn't representative of most women her age. She also has one mah-hassive ego, the stuff of legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

I agree with you, it's good to hear from a demographic that doesn't often appear in the media.

Having said that, she isn't representative of most women her age. She also has one mah-hassive ego, the stuff of legend.

Certainly most women of her age wouldn't have the pensions she has even if they'd been working most of their lives ...

Was it her local organisation that we have to thank for Boxer Moran, of the recently departed Independents-that-Went-Into-Government party?

Radio5 wrote: »
    Certainly most women of her age wouldn't have the pensions she has even if they'd been working most of their lives ...

Was it her local organisation that we have to thank for Boxer Moran, of the recently departed Independents-that-Went-Into-Government party?

Women in general do worse than men when it comes to pensions.

Not in the political sphere though where the pay and pensions are gender equal.

It's also fair to say that she only gets what she is entitled to.

Radio5 wrote: »

I don't think anyone was in the wrong there. Boxer Moran had ambitions to get elected, and Mary O'Rourke also deserved her nomination.

She had been a TD with 20 years of unbroken service, a Minister in multiple governments, and the deputy-leader of the party. Everyone seems to have accepted that her one electoral loss had been a woeful disaster of vote-management.

She may not be everyone's cup of tea, and I'm sure that even she wouldn't claim to be representative of Irish women in general; but when you look at her experience in public life and ability to talk plainly (even against her own party), it's no wonder she's regularly invited onto panel discussion.

Mary O'Rourke on Newstalk at 18:10 going on about houses too large for its occupants. She called her own place "a modest bungalow in a modest street in the town of Athlone and here I'm staying"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

Newstalk now, about elderly people downsizing to smaller accommodation-or not, in her case.

Mary O'Rourke on Newstalk at 18:10 going on about houses too large for its occupants. She called her own place "a modest bungalow in a modest street in the town of Athlone and here I'm staying"

She is telling the truth.

It's a nice bungalow in a good neighborhood but no mansion.

Just by the way, downsizing for seniors is a complex issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Mary was on Newstalk on Pat Kenny's Show yesterday, talking about her experiences as a woman TD and Minister. This was on the occasion of International Woman's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Does Mary only turn up on national stations or has she ever been on any local stations such as Midlands Radio 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Briefly put on RTE Radio 1 this afternooon -
    MOR was on this afternoon with Kathryn Thomas (who was filling in for Ray Darcy)
    Talking about Vaccination, lockdown etc, and she was praising Kathryn for her TV work etc...

• Advertisement

Newstalk now on about landlines and mobiles. She never answers her landline anymore, she is with Eir

Advertisement