Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

R Kings and other car raffles

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Simple, sell it in North or UK and price right for quick sale or try do a deal with a dealer but you won't be getting a good price....

No need to. The companies running the comps give you a cash alternative option. That price is the trade price they can achieve on selling the car to the trade then.

A few have opted for this on the pages.

You could in theory get a bit more selling it yourself up north or the UK, but then you have to convince the UK/NI buyer your legit, and you'll have to travel to NI to et them view it.

michellie wrote: »
    I'm not sure, I just gave her the VRT quote through my friend. I'll ask and see did she sell it. That 17k was including the NOX. I guess people aren't aware of this when they enter a competition

17k is still a bargain for a Range rover. Will sell it for that after driving it for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭patrickc

I entered to win a car on Friday and on Sunday I got a message on
    Facebook from a crowd in the North saying they could see I entered and would I be interested in entering their draws, they say they supply cars to Rkings etc.

how they got my info I must try find out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

patrickc wrote: »
    Facebook from a crowd in the North saying they could see I entered and would I be interested in entering their draws, they say they supply cars to Rkings etc.

Did you like or share their page???? I seen that they have made a comment on that not to reply to those messages.

Also when you enter you consent to your info being shared on fb. In order to be transparent they post full list of entries on their page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭patrickc

adam88 wrote: »
    Did you like or share their page???? I seen that they have made a comment on that not to reply to those messages.

Also when you enter you consent to your info being shared on fb. In order to be transparent they post full list of entries on their page.

I did like the Rkings one yes, not this other crowd.
    ah yeh I'd forgotten about that list, perhaps that was it.

feckers

I did like the Rkings one yes, not this other crowd.
    ah yeh I'd forgotten about that list, perhaps that was it.

feckers

Yip. Lots of people jumping on this bandwagon. I’d hazard a guess it will only be the professional outfits that will survive

• Registered Users Posts: 47 not2be

GDPR data breach.... your person information has to be protected.... unless you agreed to R Kings sharing your personal information?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

not2be wrote: »
    GDPR data breach.... your person information has to be protected.... unless you agreed to R Kings sharing your personal information?

You agree to your name, order number, and raffle number being displayed publicly with your entry.

You agree to your name, order number, and raffle number being displayed publicly with your entry.

ah fair enough.... just your name alone doesn't count as personal information anyway.... it would have to have an email address or contact number and so forth along with it to be considered a data breach...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,225 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Darksoul wrote: »
    It's real, a lad has won a scrambler and a red Audi back to back raffles couple of months ago, fair play to him but insane luck.

Fair play to him.

What makes it even luckier is that his brother was running the raffle. What are the chances!

OJryEntTiMsb.gif

ah fair enough.... just your name alone doesn't count as personal information anyway.... it would have to have an email address or contact number and so forth along with it to be considered a data breach...

The info is all there on their website to be fair, no ambiguity about anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

adam88 wrote: »
    Yip. Lots of people jumping on this bandwagon. I’d hazard a guess it will only be the professional outfits that will survive
    Seems like a no-lose arrangement though. Say you start small and gradually raffle off bigger more expensive vehicles. I suppose the big difficulty is starting capital to raffle off a vehicle in the first place.

I think R kings are so successful because up north everyone loves BMs. I know they raffle a lot more than that but flash BMs with m sport all over them hooks them in. Think I read somewhere that the north has the highest number of BMs per capita outside of Bavaria. Probably lies but still wouldn’t surprise me.

The info is all there on their website to be fair, no ambiguity about anything

Absolutely, very underhand by the other raffle company that contacted that person on FB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭selectamatic

armaghlad wrote: »
    I think R kings are so successful because up north everyone loves BMs. I know they raffle a lot more than that but flash BMs with m sport all over them hooks them in. Think I read somewhere that the north has the highest number of BMs per capita outside of Bavaria. Probably lies but still wouldn’t surprise me.

Now It's mainly down to the fact they can sell out all the tickets quickly.

Keep the competitions rolling and a good quick turnover and no time for anyone to get off their free postal entry. (if thats a thing)

It's basically fool proof now that they've gotten so big.

Many of the other copycat startups are p1ssing against the wind trying to compete here.

R kings saw the success of some other raffle crowds in the uk copied them and now they're the big fish in the small pond that is this island.

But ya initially their success could be attributed mainly to having desirable cars for raffle and a lack of competition.

Absolutely, very underhand by the other raffle company that contacted that person on FB

You'll find that company probably isn't actually a company - merely a page on facebook. The vast majority of the 'copycats' aren't acting legally, these Rkings guys are for sure.

• Advertisement

Now It's mainly down to the fact they can sell out all the tickets quickly.

Keep the competitions rolling and a good quick turnover and no time for anyone to get off their free postal entry. (if thats a thing)

It's basically fool proof now that they've gotten so big.

Many of the other copycat startups are p1ssing against the wind trying to compete here.

R kings saw the success of some other raffle crowds in the uk copied them and now they're the big fish in the small pond that is this island.

But ya initially their success could be attributed mainly to having desirable cars for raffle and a lack of competition.

If someone had the capital to get one or two nice machines and was able to do the backend (website, online purchasing etc) handy enought I say they’d have a good chance. Suppose it’s all down to having a good social media presence. R Kings have 180k fb followers. Impressive especially when they only need to convert 800 approx for their average draw. Lots of their clientele are young lads and lasses with lots of disposable income

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,409 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Seems it's legit,and a bit of fun for people who would rather enter a draw for 20 euro, than drink it down the pub, or smoke it in cigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Seems to be one setting up in Kerry as well, Kingdom Competitions.

T.

TigerTim wrote: »
    Seems to be one setting up in Kerry as well, Kingdom Competitions.

T.

Seems to be offloading stock he can’t move

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭mickwat155

Fdr car sales in donegal has jumped on the band wagon aswell they seem to have got good traction so far all stock road legal and ready for tar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Has anyone managed to enter one of the raffles for free yet?
    You could use the free post cards recently supplied by an post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

You seem incredibly begrudging of them for some reason. Like really salty

My exact reaction to half the posters on this thread. I know countless people who have won cars off R Kings & other competitions. In fact, I have bought cars off the winners a few times. A good friend of mine also won a weekend away off them.

I don't know why it annoys people so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Looks like everyone is trying to jump on this bandwagon. A local dealer to me here has shifted 4 or 5 cars over the past fortnight using a site called go raffle it. Seems as thought they are an Irish company based in Dublin. Good idea but the site is woeful and constantly crashing once theres any load applied to it. R Kings seem to have it sorted and they have a decent platform they also seem a lot more transparent than some of the others with live draws and uploading the entry list etc. One of the ones I seen last night wants you to paypal the money to the garage and they'd email you back a entry number, god only knows how that one will end up..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

mickwat155 wrote: »
    Fdr car sales in donegal has jumped on the band wagon aswell they seem to have got good traction so far all stock road legal and ready for tar

Visited them a good few years back when looking for a corolla for my nephew. Didn't buy as it was out of his budget. Seemed to have fresh looking stock. Ready for the road as you say. They've since moved and grown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,585 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Mc Love wrote: »
    https://wincar.ie/ WinCar is another one raffling mostly Irish reg cars. Nothing as impressive as R Kings yet though
    Would be skeptical on any that don't have a registered company number or address shown anywhere, RKings are very legit, based in NI, fully legal in their juristiction, transparent and above board.

I know the guy that won this 2012 3 series Personally I wouldn't have bought a ticket for it, but I guess it's a win. Will be interesting to see it driving around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I didnt enter it Vectra because of the old interior. Have my eye on any of the new post 2017 era cars which there isnt many of. Some of the cars being raffled are over 5 years old and tbh not really worth it.

Reminds me of the raffle/competition that infamous car dealer in Limerick (that got raided) was doing for an 02 Megane coupe or something and people losing the run of themselves over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They do have some desirable stuff that comes up.
    I was interested in the evo and silvia that was there, and entered for the Jeep Cherokee with lift kit.

They have a newish Amarok up there that I've entered. I think they may be benefiting from the covid pandemic as for those who are able to WFH, we are not spending money commuting or on lunches etc so more spends on stuff like this!

That RS6 Avant was pretty nice but not even worth it for the tax down here!

The banshee sold too quick the other day,

Always wanted to own something undriveable - what better than a banshee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Mc Love wrote: »
    That RS6 Avant was pretty nice but not even worth it for the tax down here!

Friend of mine won it the lucky f@#k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭selectamatic

The banshee sold too quick the other day,

Always wanted to own something undriveable - what better than a banshee!

Banshee's are in savage demand the last year anything that is for sale at semi reasonable money is selling quick.

Banshee's are in savage demand the last year anything that is for sale at semi reasonable money is selling quick.

They're simultaneously the best & worst thing I've ever driven, would only want one to have beside a yfz in a shed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

I can confirm that they're real!

1223.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Ciano35 wrote: »
    I can confirm that they're real!

1223.jpg

Wow, congrats mate.
    Will look good beside the pug!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

Wow, congrats mate.
    Will look good beside the pug!

Didn't you also buy a WRX or STI @Ciano35 that you posted a few weeks ago, some line up with the 205 and Silvia.

Austmcc wrote: »
    Didn't you also buy a WRX or STI @Ciano35 that you posted a few weeks ago, some line up with the 205 and Silvia.

Haha yeah an sti :pac: also have a 106 gti, and my daily is a Corsa OPC... I think I will need to sell something!!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

Haha yeah an sti :pac: also have a 106 gti, and my daily is a Corsa OPC... I think I will need to sell something!!

Fair play for that garage!

You'll probably win again, the trend here seems to be that a lot of people are winning at least twice, congrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,585 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Congrats.

• Advertisement

Nice bit of business there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭ofcork

That from rkings or another as southern reg or vrt done?

ofcork wrote: »
    That from rkings or another as southern reg or vrt done?
    They raffle southern cars also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭ofcork

Thought rkings were all uk or northern reg stuff.

ofcork wrote: »
    Thought rkings were all uk or northern reg stuff.

It was R Kings, I was really surprised when he said it was southern reg, like yourself I thought they only did northern stuff.

They've had heaps of southern cars, not as many as northern but still a lot

• Advertisement

They buy cars north and south of the border. Anything they think will be easy to sell tickets for.
    They are based in NI because the laws on raffles are more lax there.

They buy cars north and south of the border. Anything they think will be easy to sell tickets for.
    They are based in NI because the laws on raffles are more lax there.

Not sure if they’re much more laxed down here. RTÉ basically run a similar type of raffle several times a week

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭mickwat155

In saying that unless you are in a fairly confident position that you can off load your prize fairly handy it's not much of a prize if it comes with a fairly high vrt/nox bill just saying

mickwat155 wrote: »
    In saying that unless you are in a fairly confident position that you can off load your prize fairly handy it's not much of a prize if it comes with a fairly high vrt/nox bill just saying

Rubbish, a car costs an average of €30, I don't think you'd have any trouble offloading it for a profit.

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Rubbish, a car costs an average of €30, I don't think you'd have any trouble offloading it for a profit.

Exactly, many of the cars are worth €20k - €30k once tax is paid and they frequently give the winner £2000 if VRT is owned to help pay some of it.
    I'm fairly sure you would still come out with a very nice profit if you were to sell the car.

I think their business model may take advantage of those that have gambling problems but so do bookies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement