Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Masters 2014 Betting

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Yeah I don't understand the Snedeker love, I think it's a very poor price. I've had him at way bigger prices this year in regular PGA Tour events and he's done nothing. So in a major at Augusta I can't be having him so low, the good news is his odds had just shortened purely from this post saying he has no chance.

I wasn't really questioning his wisdom in backing him as I'm a big Snedeker fan myself but I haven't seen anything recently that would encourage me to back him.

I thought Rezer had seen something to encourage him to back Snedeker. My feeling is that in previous years he's been in much better form and hasn't really looked like winning with maybe one exception.

Anybody got an angle on first round leader ?

I'd like to back somebody who was on my shortlist to win it but didn't make my final bets.

I'm thinking Kuchar who is hot but I think lacks the ability to win it.

Also think McIlroy, Stenson and Garcia could be quick out of the blocks but I have no statistical information to help me make a pick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

weather forecast favours morning starters tomorrow.. calm early 10-15 winds afternoon.was going in on langer to beat kaymer [EMAIL="'@13"]@13[/EMAIL]\8 top german but scuppered by forecast kaymer out early and langer much later. also liked maj for top senior given freddies back troubles.. but again fred starting early ( prob worth 2 shots min) getting better of the weather.. ah well back to the drawing board!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Well done.

Bad news for me is that I backed him to win Masters..

One bet down:(:pac:

If anyone can do it he can.

His masters record is good, he obviously thinks he can do it.

Have to reinvest some winnings on him for winning me that tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Z.Johnson
    Donald
    Woodland

Wouldn't normally back Donald (I had him each way when he came third here back in '05, would be surprised if I've backed him more than twice since) but 50/1 is very good value in my opinion. Good course form with 3 top 10s. He has found a bit of form this year with the swing changes, 2 top 10s in the Velspar and the Honda.

Have also backed De Laet to be top debutant at 10/1, would be fearful of Harris English who I may add as an outright bet at 66/1.

Best of luck to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭shmeee

A fourfold just shy of 17/2, best price with Stan James and there seems to be a big difference among bookies.

Top Spanish Player - Garcia
    Top South African Player - Schwartzel
    Top Australian Player - Scott
    Top Irish Player - Mcilroy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

1. To Win: Henrik Stenson best price up to x34 single to win, might wait 1r+ for move to x40+ for even more value.
    2. Safe card: The most tipped appears to be Sergio Garcia x18 - x21 so 2nd choice ew 6pl. Again wait 1st day out till x35+ for value again.
    3. Wild card: Victor Dubuisson good to go at x100 odds why not? ew6pl.

No interest in Rory McIlroy at x11 due to lack of value, same for Scott, won't suit my accumulator layouts. Rory will either roar to lead all the way through ...but very much more likely think perform average with final round recovery back up to 5-6th place. Not meaning to being funny but these youngest (and best) of players should just party more, watch happy gilmore lots, simply enjoy playing, rather than trying too hard from a sports psychological pov, you got another 20yrs+ to continue being a legend, no rush, no pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

I have DJ, Bubba, ZJ, G-Mac, Haas, Bradley all backed on BF win only

I have Rickie, Furyk, English, Couples on PP each way.

Mickelson added last and that's my lot, a sweat of some variety would be nice!

rambojon wrote: »
    weather forecast favours morning starters tomorrow.. calm early 10-15 winds afternoon.was going in on langer to beat kaymer [EMAIL="'@13"]@13[/EMAIL]\8 top german but scuppered by forecast kaymer out early and langer much later. also liked maj for top senior given freddies back troubles.. but again fred starting early ( prob worth 2 shots min) getting better of the weather.. ah well back to the drawing board!

I can't find anything to back up what you're saying.

Everything points to a dry calm day throughout.

You got any links for what you've suggested ?

It'll affect anybodies choice for first round leader.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

tomaussie wrote: »
    I can't find anything to back up what you're saying.

Everything points to a dry calm day throughout.

You got any links for what you've suggested ?

It'll affect anybodies choice for first round leader.

Sky pundits both talked about it at the start of the par 3 coverage!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/augusta_bush_field

If you want a more detailed daily forecast click Super Forecast on the menu bar.

TheNap wrote: »
    2. No Augusta rookie has savoured Masters victory since Fuzzy Zoeller defeated Ed Sneed and Tom Watson in a play-off in 1979.

Those 34 winners since Fuzzy Zoeller in 1979.

[-16] 16 winners since then started their Masters careers as amateurs, and were unlikely to win on their first start
    - Tom Watson; Craig Stadler; Ben Crenshaw; Jack Nicklaus; Jose Maria Olazabal; Tiger Woods; Phil Mickelson.
    [-5] Seve Ballesteros (2 wins) had his first start in 1977; Nick Faldo (3 wins) had his first start in 1979 (Zoeller's year) so could not be first-time starters after 1979.
    [-1] Bernhard Langer had two wins since 1979, so his second win could not be a first-time start.

That leaves 13 players in the 34 years since 1979 that did not win on their first attempt, not 34 players.
    Adam Scott; Bubba Watson; Charl Schwartzel; Angel Cabrera; Zach Johnson; Mike Weir; Vijay Singh; Mark O'Meara; Fred Couples; Ian Woosnam; Sandy Lyle; Larry Mize; Bernhard Langer.

From my thread on Betfair
    We hear this “stat” trotted out every year.
    "No debutant has won the Masters since Fuzzy Zoeller in 1979. Players need a few years to learn the course."

I believe that stat is a combination of (1) variance/luck (2) field selection.

(1) variance/luck

These first-timers have come close:
    1982: Dan Pohl was beaten in a playoff. He shot 67, 67 in four rounds.
    1990: John Huston was 3rd. He opened with a 66.
    1993: Tom Lehman was 3rd. He opened with a 67, and finished with a 68.
    1994: Tom Lehman finished 2nd on his second appearance.
    1997: Tommy Tolles finished 3rd on his first appearance, 72,72,72,67.
    1999: Carlos Franco, Paraguay, his 1st year on the US tour was 6th.
    2000: Carlos France was 7th on his 2nd appearance.
    2001: Toshimitsu Izawa was 4th shooting a 66 and 67 (not sure if 1st appearance).
    2003: Len Mattiace was 2nd, beaten in a playoff. He played once before, 15 years earlier in 1988, missing the cut.
    2004: Paul Casey was 6th on his debut, shooting a 69 and 68.
    2005: Mark Hensby was 5th on his debut, opening with 69.
    2009: John Merrick, 6th on debut, with a 68, 66.
    2011: Justin Day, 2nd on debut, clubhouse leader in a tie with Adam Scott until Charl Schwartzel finished with four birdies to win by two shots.

Those eleven players shot low rounds in 13 tournaments without years of experience.

(2) field selection

The chances of debutants are lowered by Masters field selection rules.
    (a) previous winners (19 of 2014 field)
    (b) previous year top twelve, including ties (4 of 2014 field)
    (c) amateurs (6 of 2014 field)

Over 50% of Masters were won by repeat winners (counting their first win and subsequent wins.) probably because the field is full of old champions and amateurs that limit realistic contenders.

Many later multiple winners: Nicklaus; Crenshaw; Mickelson, Woods; made their debuts as amateurs, boosting the "didn't win on debut" stat. They were inexperienced in professional golf on their Masters debut.

I have never seen a stat for any other tournament that demonstrates that players win on their first start in that tournament. Name one.
    This lazy Masters stat is horse droppings imo.

5. The past 15 champions at Augusta all made the cut at the previous year’s Masters.

Another dodgy stat.
    In 2013 Jason Day led by two shots after the 15th in the final round. He dropped shots at the 16th and 17th and finished 3rd, a shot behind Scott and Cabrera.
    The previous year he did not make the cut. He withdrew during play with an ankle injury.

The stat suggests he had no chance in 2013 as he did not make the cut in 2012.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

8. There is a pattern of peaking at the right moment. Six of the past 13 Masters winners had a PGA Tour victory earlier in the season.

Surely 6 out of 13 is not a reason to be eliminating anyone, it's as close to 50/50 as you can get with an odd number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Miguel Angel Jimenez To Make The Cut - 1/2

He has made the cut 9/10 times playing at the Masters. Has made the cut the last 8 times he has played in Augusta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

diomed wrote: »
    5. The past 15 champions at Augusta all made the cut at the previous year’s Masters.

Another dodgy stat.
    In 2013 Jason Day led by two shots after the 15th in the final round. He dropped shots at the 16th and 17th and finished 3rd, a shot behind Scott and Cabrera.
    The previous year he did not make the cut. He withdrew during play with an ankle injury.

The stat suggests he had no chance in 2013 as he did not make the cut in 2012.

he did not win in 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

diomed wrote: »
    2. No Augusta rookie has savoured Masters victory since Fuzzy Zoeller defeated Ed Sneed and Tom Watson in a play-off in 1979.

Those 34 winners since Fuzzy Zoeller in 1979.

[-16] 16 winners since then started their Masters careers as amateurs, and were unlikely to win on their first start
    - Tom Watson; Craig Stadler; Ben Crenshaw; Jack Nicklaus; Jose Maria Olazabal; Tiger Woods; Phil Mickelson.
    [-5] Seve Ballesteros (2 wins) had his first start in 1977; Nick Faldo (3 wins) had his first start in 1979 (Zoeller's year) so could not be first-time starters after 1979.
    [-1] Bernhard Langer had two wins since 1979, so his second win could not be a first-time start.

That leaves 13 players in the 34 years since 1979 that did not win on their first attempt, not 34 players.
    Adam Scott; Bubba Watson; Charl Schwartzel; Angel Cabrera; Zach Johnson; Mike Weir; Vijay Singh; Mark O'Meara; Fred Couples; Ian Woosnam; Sandy Lyle; Larry Mize; Bernhard Langer.

From my thread on Betfair
    We hear this “stat” trotted out every year.
    "No debutant has won the Masters since Fuzzy Zoeller in 1979. Players need a few years to learn the course."

I believe that stat is a combination of (1) variance/luck (2) field selection.

(1) variance/luck

These first-timers have come close:
    1982: Dan Pohl was beaten in a playoff. He shot 67, 67 in four rounds.
    1990: John Huston was 3rd. He opened with a 66.
    1993: Tom Lehman was 3rd. He opened with a 67, and finished with a 68.
    1994: Tom Lehman finished 2nd on his second appearance.
    1997: Tommy Tolles finished 3rd on his first appearance, 72,72,72,67.
    1999: Carlos Franco, Paraguay, his 1st year on the US tour was 6th.
    2000: Carlos France was 7th on his 2nd appearance.
    2001: Toshimitsu Izawa was 4th shooting a 66 and 67 (not sure if 1st appearance).
    2003: Len Mattiace was 2nd, beaten in a playoff. He played once before, 15 years earlier in 1988, missing the cut.
    2004: Paul Casey was 6th on his debut, shooting a 69 and 68.
    2005: Mark Hensby was 5th on his debut, opening with 69.
    2009: John Merrick, 6th on debut, with a 68, 66.
    2011: Justin Day, 2nd on debut, clubhouse leader in a tie with Adam Scott until Charl Schwartzel finished with four birdies to win by two shots.

Those eleven players shot low rounds in 13 tournaments without years of experience.

(2) field selection

The chances of debutants are lowered by Masters field selection rules.
    (a) previous winners (19 of 2014 field)
    (b) previous year top twelve, including ties (4 of 2014 field)
    (c) amateurs (6 of 2014 field)

Over 50% of Masters were won by repeat winners (counting their first win and subsequent wins.) probably because the field is full of old champions and amateurs that limit realistic contenders.

Many later multiple winners: Nicklaus; Crenshaw; Mickelson, Woods; made their debuts as amateurs, boosting the "didn't win on debut" stat. They were inexperienced in professional golf on their Masters debut.

I have never seen a stat for any other tournament that demonstrates that players win on their first start in that tournament. Name one.
    This lazy Masters stat is horse droppings imo.

no first timer have won so the stat is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Outright
    Rory
    Watney
    Haas
    Fowler
    Charl

First round leader
    Charl
    Stallings
    Haas
    Fowler

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    For the time being, all I have is..

1) Sergio Garcia @ 22/1
    2) Zach Johnson @ 33/1
    3) Keegan Bradley @ 33/1
    4) Charl Schwartzel @ 33/1
    5) Angel Cabrera @ 66/1
    6) Hideki Matsuyama @ 80/1

Will edit this a little and add one more at least.

Can't edit original post.

Adding Sergio or Matsuyama. I've been debating over these two all week as a few know on the Tweet machine, just couldn't decide between either and sure, it's the Masters. Nowt wrong with an extra bet. Used to back Sergio regularly and Matsuyama has been a fairly regular fixture (not on Speith or Stenson levels mind you) the past year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

John Duggan on TodayFM is tipping Garcia. Also tipping Snedeker and Ryan Moore. His first round leader tips are Thorbjorn Olesen and John Huh.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Juxtapose

my outrights all e/w

Charl
    Furyk
    Fowler
    Bubba (bigger)
    Scott (biggest)

Best of luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Juxtapose

Just stuck a small bet on Garcia at 21/1, then noticed just after the odds shortened to 19's

also have him e/w for leader day 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

The closer we get the more i think Bubba will do it .

Off to the bookies i go .........

3 Ball betting done for the 1st round:

Mike Weir 7/2 (Matt Every, Roberto Castro)

Zach Johnson 5/4 (KJ Choi, Steve Stricker)

Matt Kuchar EVS (Thongchai Jaidee, Louis Oosthuizen)

Hunter Mahan 13/10 (Marc Leishman, Joost Luiten)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

YayaBanana wrote: »
    John Duggan on TodayFM is tipping Garcia. Also tipping Snedeker and Ryan Moore. His first round leader tips are Thorbjorn Olesen and John Huh.

He tips Garcia about 7 times a year. Regardless of whether he wins or not, hes the worst 20's shot in the history of betting.

Backed Mcilroy at 14's, English at 66's and Schwartzel at 33's. Leishman top Aussie at 12's

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Dazzler0911

Promised myself I'd never back Garcia ever again, the man continually breaks your heart time and time again. The man's got no bottle

I've backed:

Day
    Stenson
    Schwartzel
    Woodland
    Fowler
    Couples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

TheNap wrote: »
    The closer we get the more i think Bubba will do it .

Off to the bookies i go .........

After calling him a choker for so long I'm actually with you on this and have him backed at 28/1. Memories of 2012 when he was the only player on first page of Sunday leaderboard I hadn't backed...all win only of course :mad: Was convinced he would choke at some point so never covered myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Nah there's too many of us on him lads,he has to lose.

Simpson storming out the gates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I'm on

Phil - 14s
    Dufner - 40s
    Westwood - 45s
    Mahan - 50s
    McDowell - 55s
    Fowler - 80s
    Stricker - 80s
    Grace - 200s

Also added Jiminez and Langer as "nostalgia" bets

Every year I back far too many players:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I'm on these, all e/w:

McIlroy @ 10

Day @ 16

Stenson @ 33

Spieth @ 50

Just spotted now that Day and Stenson are paired together, so hopefully they push each other on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Backed Every and Z Johnson e/w, along with Day. Both are currently in the bottom 6.

FML.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,923 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

posted elsewhere but went for small singles on all these

win
    scott 12
    day 16
    dufner 40
    oleson ew 150

top 5
    day 9/2
    scott 3/1
    duf 9/1

top 10
    scott 11/8
    day 2/1
    duf 4/1

top lefty bubba 11/8..just mickey and weir to beat
    seems decent imo

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Awful stuff from Cabrera, Matsuyama and ZJ. I suppose Cabrera was due a bad round around Augusta eventually, but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

never back favourites in the Majors but got on Scott @ 16/1 (enhanced). Such a solid round apart from that hiccup but ill take that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,923 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

just backed bubba at 11
    reckon he'll be a bit shorter after this par 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Went with Snedeker (€5 e/w @ 35/1) and Westwood (€10 e/w @ 45/1) this morning.

So Far so Good.

Went with Snedeker (€5 e/w @ 35/1) and Westwood (€10 e/w @ 45/1) this morning.

So Far so Good.

yeah and I backed Bill Haas to be first round leader @50/1,Bubba's gonna ruin my night....or Westy

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Sir montygom

yeah and I backed Bill Haas to be first round leader @50/1,Bubba's gonna ruin my night....or Westy

Westy won't as I've him backed as 1st rd leader... I would put the crow on our lord!

• Advertisement

Westy won't as I've him backed as 1st rd leader... I would put the crow on our lord!

was about to post u were right but that's some recovery shot

nothing better than watching the golf,day off tomorrow,playing golf instead and then just to top it off Sergio misses a 2 footer for bird....happy days:D(apols to any Garcia backers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If only Sergio could putt.

Rory only missed 3 greens today,that bodes well,same for Speith,he looks pretty comfy out there,might add him to the list tomorrow.
    Bubba now 16/1 to be first round leader,that'll be split with Haas so there giving 8/1 he birdies the last....seems a bit generous to me

Hope u can see this,great start to the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I actually thought ya were taking the piss and being sarcastic because he was aftertiming

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I actually thought ya were taking the piss and being sarcastic because he was aftertiming

tbh I threw the bait out waiting for someone to lash me,but to be fair I posted it a few pages back before play started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

tbh I threw the bait out waiting for someone to lash me,but to be fair I posted it a few pages back before play started

nice start to the week, freerolling for the rest of the weekend id imagine.

have you got him outright?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Nice touch bob, let's hope he has a better follow up round than last week! (Assuming you have him outright)

Also why do you dislike Sergio so much, anything more than just being annoyed by his sulking?

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote: »
    nice start to the week, freerolling for the rest of the weekend id imagine.

have you got him outright?

yeah e/w @70/1 with PP

Advertisement