Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters 2014 Betting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Tiger(gone), Dustin, Day, Watney, Mickelson, Oosthuizen the injury list will be doubled by Thursday way things are going

I was just thinking the same thing yesterday, a lot of big names not at 100%, probably be Kuchars best chance to get himself a major. He has obviously been very impressive the last 2 weeks but he is in serious form this season and has a very good record at Augusta, he is from Georgia too so he knows this place, still 20/1 with Boyles so I think I'll have a large enough stake on him to win.

Disappointing to see so many players injured, I think Kuchar will be my only bet of anyone below 50's so it will be a large stake on him and a few smaller bets on a few outsiders., Scott is the only other one below 50/1 that I think has a very good chance but I think you would need to be mad to go near Scott below 10's.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

YayaBanana wrote: »
    I was just thinking the same thing yesterday, a lot of big names not at 100%, probably be Kuchars best chance to get himself a major. He has obviously been very impressive the last 2 weeks but he is in serious form this season and has a very good record at Augusta, he is from Georgia too so he knows this place, still 20/1 with Boyles so I think I'll have a large enough stake on him to win.

Disappointing to see so many players injured, I think Kuchar will be my only bet of anyone below 50's so it will be a large stake on him and a few smaller bets on a few outsiders., Scott is the only other one below 50/1 that I think has a very good chance but I think you would need to be mad to go near Scott below 10's.

Ya agree here. I kinda looking at my bets and wondering have I made right calls on the 4 I backed now.

I do see myself getting on couple of triple figure odds players.

Im looking at Bowditch. I have been reading about him since his win and some of the comments I have heard are very impressive, not just you're normal "he has talent" comments, but some stand outs.

I threw a article up in Golf fourm about his battles and now he has his first win it may lead to something bigger. He is a guy that might very easy miss cut, but at the price I see him at, im tempted. Nothing to lose week for guys like him. You can throw 10-20 names into that hat though tbf.

will leave the last few bets till next week now. Its very open this year as much as any I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

I fancy Z.Johnson and Dufner.. D.Johnson too but he's a shocking price

Tsipras wrote: »
    I fancy Z.Johnson and Dufner.. D.Johnson too but he's a shocking price

Good picks. Went with Zach myself. Always been god to me when I have backed him. Just shyed away from Dufner, but more then capable and solid chance.

Then again I like about 15-20 players chances:pac:

Boyles still only offering 5 places but offering moneyback if your player finishes 2nd or 3rd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I've added Kevin Stadler at odds of 318.2 to my bets.
    He won the Phoenix Open this year, is ranked 4th in driving, and 7th all-around ranking.
    And just added to it at odds of 400 and 410.

Trying to narrow this down to 6 or 7 bets is very hard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I think Gmac is a great price at 50's. 4 top tens from 6 events (albeit going back to oct).
    I was mad for Kuch but after this weekend I just dont know. McIlroy finishing today with a 65 and top 10 really sets him up too.

Just back anybody from Australia next week it seems. Another winner today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭bradlente

I suppose if you back someone before the extended places offers you miss out on the extra places?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Just back anybody from Australia next week it seems. Another winner today

Could definitely be worth a sniff the way he played today.

bradlente wrote: »
    I suppose if you back someone before the extended places offers you miss out on the extra places?

Yes you do, sadly.

Bowditch 2e @520 on betfair. Will nibble at top 10 too.

Ladbrokes offering money back if a European wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

I have DJ, Bubba, ZJ, G-Mac, Haas, Bradley all backed on BF win only

I have Ricke, Furyk, English, Couples on PP each way.

Have Leishman,English,De Laet,Kaymer,Haas,Bubba,Bjorn,Oosthuizen,Poulter and Horschel.

Backed a few as far back as January.Got Bubba @67,but at the same time backed Bjorn @126 and he's out to 251 now.Missed out on all of the extra places from backing early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

McIlroy - 9/1 win
    Jason Day - 20/1 win
    Dustin Johnson - 22/1 win
    Brandt Snedeker - 40/1 ew
    Matt Kucher - 40/1 ew
    Ian Poulter - 60/1 ew
    Angel Cabrera 66/1 ew
    Lee Westwood 66/1 ew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Hey snow, where or when did you get that tasty Kuchar price?

Brad - I took Bubba @30 so very nice getting 67!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Hey snow, where or when did you get that tasty Kuchar price?

Brad - I took Bubba @30 so very nice getting 67!

I got all of those, with the exception of Cabrera, 2 weeks ago. Sort of happy to see Kuchar not take the win last night... so no jinx for him this week! :D

<< Prays any player he pick does not win Par 3 contest.

• Advertisement

If I see anything about players on twitter I will try post them here. Hopefully not too much bad news

Still seen nothing of note about Nick Watney, but general feel is that he will be playing.

Hope Couples is ok. Bear it in mind
    Shane Bacon ‏@shanebacon 10m
    Bad news for golf fans - source is telling me Fred Couples is having serious back issues. Hasn’t really been practicing or playing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Normally with the majors I like to back a few outsiders, but this year I definitely see one of the big boys winning it, so the 3 I've gone for are:

Rory - After a poor 2013 he has found form this year, had an ideal weekend in my mind, 3 solid but unspectacular rounds finishing off with the best round of the weekend to go into Thursday high in confidence. Clearly has the game for Augusta, with him I fell its all about not having one disaster of a day that rules him out, he normally plays well 2 or 3 out of the 4 rounds here, hopefully this is the year he does it in all 4.

Dustin Johnson - Pulling out at the weekend has me a little worried, but before that he has been fantastic this year, has great length which most would say is needed here and has really got his putter going this year, so provided he is over whatever happened to him at the weekend he should be in with a good chance here.

Matt Kuchar - Its almost a good thing he didn't do so well yesterday because its never a good omen winning the week before the Masters it seems. A player who is always there or there abouts, T8 last year and T3 the year before, even if he doesn't win I would be surprised not to see him placing, insanely consistent, definitely feel confident backing him each way.

And, Jason Dufner First Round Leader - His performances at the Masters have been getting better each year, pretty sure he led for a bit last year, and he is a player who is capable of going on some really big streaks, when he gets hot he can go 5 or 6 holes in a row clinging his approaches to the flag and post a great score.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

For the time being, all I have is..

1) Zach Johnson @ 33/1
    2) Keegan Bradley @ 33/1
    3) Charl Schwartzel @ 33/1
    4) Angel Cabrera @ 66/1

Will edit this a little and add one more at least.

The 23 Players Who Can Win The Masters from statistician Rich Hunt

http://www.golfwrx.com/192949/the-23-players-who-can-win-the-masters/

The extra places are a bit pointless,as soon as they come in the prices tighten up.

Going to add Cink and Cabrera based off of that,kind of wanted to back Cabrera before as he always seems in and around a place.

Have a considerable fraction of the playing field backed now,mainly consisting of lads that judging from that piece are either too young or too old to win it:pac:

bradlente wrote: »
    Going to add Cink and Cabrera based off of that,kind of wanted to back Cabrera before as he always seems in and around a place.

Have a considerable fraction of the playing field backed now,mainly consisting of lads that judging from that piece are either too young or too old to win it:pac:

I wouldn't look into it too much, just thought it was interesting.

Looking back over my last few years betting on the Masters and I've rarely had any luck, and backed 10 players the last couple years.

I've finally narrowed my choices down to 3, I couldn't really enjoy watching it when I had so many players backed in the past, hoping to enjoy the 4 days this year even if I have nobody in contention.

Matt Kuchar @20/1 Win only - All of my choices will be trying to win their first major, with so many players injured or out of form I think we will see someone get their first major. And who is in better form than Kuchar, he is playing out of his skin, if he makes some putts he will once again be in contention. Putting a large stake on the win with Boyles, money back if he finishes 2nd or 3rd.

Sergio Garcia @ 25/1 E/W Has a decent record at Augusta, finished 8th last year and 12th the year before. He has showed some very good form this season, finishing in the top 20 in his last 6 events, 3 of those were top 10's including 1 win.

Rickie Fowler @ 66/1 E/W - Not a player I have backed much in the past and he has had a bit of a strange season, few missed cuts with a few good finishes including a 3rd at the WGC Matchplay and a 6th last week in Houston. He is a pretty big hitter for someone as small as he is, I do doubt his putting though, hopefully he has a good week though.

I also have Delaet and Lynn backed from a few weeks ago on Betfair at pretty big odds, hoping they have a good first couple days and I might be able to lay them off for a bit of profit. Not hugely confident I'll get anything back of them though.

Good luck everyone.

^ 8/10 top ten picks last year though,no harm in a little follow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The "statistic" that first time Masters players can't/won't win is imo not really a statistic.

Dan Pohl was beaten in a playoff by Craig Stadler in 1992.
    Len Mattiace was beaten in a playoff by Mike Weir in 2003.
    Mattiace was not a first-timer, but he had only played once before 15 years earlier in 1998.

Several serial Masters winners had their first appearance as amateurs: Nicklaus; Crenshaw; Mickleson; Woods, and were not seasoned PGA Tour competitors.

This comment in the review is wrong:
    "I also eliminated any first time invitees, as the only first time invitee to ever win at Augusta was Fuzzy Zoeller in 1979."
    Horton Smith, Gene Sarazen, and Fuzzy Zoeller won first time.

Advertisement