Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Skull Riddle Thread

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

aidoh wrote: »
    Is it a derodontid?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Is it one of these fellas?
    rodhocetus_science.jpg
    Am I even in the right class here, haha.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Is it one of these fellas?
    rodhocetus_science.jpg
    Am I even in the right class here, haha.

It is not, but yes you are in the right class :D

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Is it a whale ancestor?
    EDIT: I've resorted to searching "extinct mammal with really long lower jaw" in google haha.

Is it a whale ancestor?
    EDIT: I've resorted to searching "extinct mammal with really long lower jaw" in google haha.

Haha :D Its not a whale ancestor.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Adam Khor wrote: »
    Haha :D Its not a whale ancestor.

Maybe not a whale ancestor but is it still a cetacean?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Maybe not a whale ancestor but is it still a cetacean?

Yes it is

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yes it is

Ok, its a prehistoric porpoise or dolphin of some sort then, skimmer porpoise maybe?

Ok, its a prehistoric porpoise or dolphin of some sort then, skimmer porpoise maybe?

A skimmer porpoise it is :D

Okey Dokey, here's another skull:

ESMbx.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Okey Dokey, here's another skull:

ESMbx.jpg

Is it a porpoise?

Galvasean wrote: »
    Is it a porpoise?

Not quite, but you're on the right track ;)

Definitely some kind of dolphin but... not a common dolphin or a bottlenose :S

Definitely some kind of dolphin but... not a common dolphin or a bottlenose :S

nope :)

nope :)

A Hector's dolphin?

Dagnabbit, nail on head. I was lucky enough to have the pleasure of seeing them in the wild once :)

Dagnabbit, nail on head. I was lucky enough to have the pleasure of seeing them in the wild once :)

Amazing! Care to share? :D

Amazing! Care to share? :D

Was doing a 3-day trek in NZ, the 2nd hut was on the coast and there was a beach nearby so I took a stroll and there they were playing in the waves a few metres off-shore, two or three of them. Could tell what they were from their pretty distinctive dorsal fins.

Spotted a Kiwi (Stewart Island) and some Whio (The Milford track) on couple of different occasions too :)

Was doing a 3-day trek in NZ, the 2nd hut was on the coast and there was a beach nearby so I took a stroll and there they were playing in the waves a few metres off-shore, two or three of them. Could tell what they were from their pretty distinctive dorsal fins.

Spotted a Kiwi (Stewart Island) and some Whio (The Milford track) on couple of different occasions too :)

Lucky bastard XD

Ok here's the next one (even though I must say I'm growing bored with this... I know it was my idea, but maybe its time to start a different game? :o)

amph109p.gif

Lucky bastard XD

Ok here's the next one (even though I must say I'm growing bored with this... I know it was my idea, but maybe its time to start a different game? :o)

Yea its hard to keep it going when we seem to be the only two playing anymore :( I'm open to suggestions for anything different of course.

I reckon thats some sort of salamander?

• Advertisement

Yea its hard to keep it going when we seem to be the only two playing anymore :( I'm open to suggestions for anything different of course.

I reckon thats some sort of salamander?

It is a salamander, but what kind? :D

I don´t know, I'll have to think about something new.

Advertisement