Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Skull Riddle Thread

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bottlenose Dolphin?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Bottlenose Dolphin?

Nope, but you are on the right lane :>

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Adam Khor wrote: »
    Nope, but you are on the right lane :>

Dang :D Was pretty much a guess, thought the teeth look too big for a bottlenose Dolphin but the skull is too small to be an Orca!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Dang :D Was pretty much a guess, thought the teeth look too big for a bottlenose Dolphin but the skull is too small to be an Orca!

You're so close, man! So close! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Long beaked dolphin?

• Advertisement

yekahS wrote: »
    Long beaked dolphin?

Nope. The creature is actually kinda short-nosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Is it some kind of terrifying porpoise?

aidoh wrote: »
    Is it some kind of terrifying porpoise?

Not a porpoise.

Sudden burst of inspiration thanks to the Orca thread ......False Killer Whale?? :o

Sudden burst of inspiration thanks to the Orca thread ......False Killer Whale?? :o

Correct! :D Congrats. I actually hesitated to start the orca thread because I knew someone would guess this haha

Ur turn

• Advertisement

Correct! :D Congrats. I actually hesitated to start the orca thread because I knew someone would guess this haha

Ur turn

Haha! I totally wouldn't have got it but for the thread lead to me to look up the False Killer Whale on wiki, the teeth looked about right so I thought it was worth a shot :D

Okay, one of you will probably get this straight away I'm sure:

OPai9.jpg

Haha! I totally wouldn't have got it but for the thread lead to me to look up the False Killer Whale on wiki, the teeth looked about right so I thought it was worth a shot :D

Okay, one of you will probably get this straight away I'm sure:

OPai9.jpg

Looks like a mustelid. A weasel?

Looks like a mustelid. A weasel?

It's a mustelid yea, not a weasel though :)

It's a mustelid yea, not a weasel though :)

Right... a marten then?

Right... a marten then?

Yea it's a marten, pine to be exact.

Yea it's a marten.

Lucky guess. I was also considering a stoat.

A very easy extinct one.
    nm_rusos_dinocefalia.jpg

A very easy extinct one.

I wouldn't be so sure. :D I think I can picture it from Walking With Beasts but I have no idea of the name. I seem to recall it being rather large and bulky, similar build to a rhino?

Lucky guess. I was also considering a stoat.

A very easy extinct one.

Did some digging...its this guy?
    estemmenosuchus.jpg

The crowned crocodile/estemmenosuchus? According to the wiki page there's two types but I can't tell which one your pic is.

Did some digging...its this guy?
    estemmenosuchus.jpg

The crowned crocodile/estemmenosuchus? According to the wiki page there's two types but I can't tell which one your pic is.

It is correct. The one I posted is likely Estemmenosuchus mirabilis. Your turn :>

That's an awful looking creature! :(

• Advertisement

I actually think its a quite handsome beast XD

I'm googling pictures of therapsid palaeoart now. It's not really a group I ever knew much about but they're mad looking yokes!

Imagine riding one into battle though! :pac:

Ok heres one:

s7lfb.jpg

Imagine riding one into battle though! :pac:

Ok heres one:

s7lfb.jpg

A tuatara?

A tuatara?

Hah yup! I guess I shouldn't have picked an animal that's the only surviving ember of its order!

Hah yup! I guess I shouldn't have picked an animal that's the only surviving ember of its order!

Well, the fact that I was reading about tuataras just yesterday didn´t help either XD

Here:
    sp3112.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

A woodpecker?

A woodpecker?

Yeah, a pileated woodpecker. Guess it was an easy one. :D

Yeah i reckoned it wasnt the Irish one, the great spotted woodpecker, but couldnt figure out which one.

• Advertisement

Ok here is my go so!

178748.jpg

EDIT: Is the photo a high enough resolution?

Advertisement