Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Dunshaughlin news

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Exile59

Agreed.

The parking has gotten really bad in the last few months, and this is without anyone having even moved into Dun Rioga, most of The Willows and Fairways. Supervalu is always jammers now, pretty much any time of day and at weekends.

I didn't know that is where the new school is going. At least it's a school going there and not a load of new houses. I really hope they develop the petrol station. Something like the Barack Obama Plaza would be great!!! ;)

Yea, I walk past Hanson wood most evenings. It's really well done with their own green area and the trees are nice as well. It will be all the more appreciated by the lucky residents when the green area across the way is developed soon enough. Great location as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Parking is bad as you say I also noticed on Sunday morning the amount of parking at the church on the footpath is unreal.

I push a buggy and have a little lad on a bike and its a nightmare.
    Also there is a white line in the middle of that road so shouldn't be allowed to park there.

I am sure they wont enforce anything as its only for an hours or so every Sunday and dont want to upset the church going folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Parking is bad as you say I also noticed on Sunday morning the amount of parking at the church on the footpath is unreal.

I push a buggy and have a little lad on a bike and its a nightmare.
    Also there is a white line in the middle of that road so shouldn't be allowed to park there.

I am sure they wont enforce anything as its only for an hours or so every Sunday and dont want to upset the church going folk.

No, Ciaran don't upset the church going folk, you could be the start of another crusade!!! :eek:

All jokes aside, there's a large car park at the back of the church there's no reason to be parking on the road, now I can understand if there was a funeral or wedding or something like that, but they should enforce no-parking on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Archiebello

I know this has been said here before but the Tara News SuperValu parking situation is maddening. One particular Volvo 4x4 parks regularly on the Tara News corner meaning anyone driving out of Supervalu is practically on the butchers side of the lane turning onto Main St. There was a tail back last Saturday because somebody had the arse of their car on the crossing between the Hairdressers and SuperValu. All of the above occurs while there are empty spaces in the car parks on both sides of the supermarket. I admit at peak times the car park can be full but there is alternative parking at Lidl, Sibin, back of Fidelmas and Jenny’s. People have to walk a couple of minutes when they go shopping in most busy towns, why not here? It’s probably for the best they have those bollards in front of SuperValu as the porch is near wide enough now for someone to try park in it. Apologies, Rant over.

I know this has been said here before but the Tara News SuperValu parking situation is maddening. One particular Volvo 4x4 parks regularly on the Tara News corner meaning anyone driving out of Supervalu is practically on the butchers side of the lane turning onto Main St. There was a tail back last Saturday because somebody had the arse of their car on the crossing between the Hairdressers and SuperValu. All of the above occurs while there are empty spaces in the car parks on both sides of the supermarket. I admit at peak times the car park can be full but there is alternative parking at Lidl, Sibin, back of Fidelmas and Jenny’s. People have to walk a couple of minutes when they go shopping in most busy towns, why not here? It’s probably for the best they have those bollards in front of SuperValu as the porch is near wide enough now for someone to try park in it. Apologies, Rant over.

That is what my wife and I have said for years. ;)

Has anyone heard any update in relation to M.C.C. on this road from Tara News to down past SuperValu?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Said Volvo was parked again there illegally today, mostly parked well onto the footpath

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mackapacka

Hey new to this thread. Myself and my partner along with our one year old are in the process of buying in the willows. I saw someone mentioning here talks of a link road to Dublin planned for the willows. Does anyone have anymore information on this? We’re growing more and more concerned now about buying here as just been told the road we thought would be a quiet end of estate road will more than likely be turned into a main road in the future with the new developments going in behind the willows. I’m thinking of pulling out but just looking for any feedback on the area anyone may have? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Metalpanic

Virgin Media off to a very bad start. Constantly getting connection errors with TV and BB dropping off. Totally out today no service at all.

Mackapacka wrote: »
    Hey new to this thread. Myself and my partner along with our one year old are in the process of buying in the willows. I saw someone mentioning here talks of a link road to Dublin planned for the willows. Does anyone have anymore information on this? We’re growing more and more concerned now about buying here as just been told the road we thought would be a quiet end of estate road will more than likely be turned into a main road in the future with the new developments going in behind the willows. I’m thinking of pulling out but just looking for any feedback on the area anyone may have? Thanks :)

Hi Mackapacka, The Willows will be the biggest estate in the village. I think quiet will be relative there. I’ve heard lots of plans for the ring road, one going through The Willows and linking to the Ratoath road. The other going the opposite direction and linking to a roundabout at the M3 behind Dun Na Rioga. How much traffic they’ll carry, I don’t know. I would imagine heavy through traffic will be on the M3. Anyone whose destination will be the Village will be on the current main road.

Metalpanic wrote: »
    Hi Mackapacka, The Willows will be the biggest estate in the village. I think quiet will be relative there. I’ve heard lots of plans for the ring road, one going through The Willows and linking to the Ratoath road. The other going the opposite direction and linking to a roundabout at the M3 behind Dun Na Rioga. How much traffic they’ll carry, I don’t know. I would imagine heavy through traffic will be on the M3. Anyone whose destination will be the Village will be on the current main road.

I've also heard lots of plannings too, but the "Ring Road" from The Willow to the Lagore road is happening, as the new grounds for Dunshaughlin Youth F.C. is to be on this road. Whether this "Ring Road" will continue on to the The Ratoath road from the Lagore road is anyones guess. The Link road from the Willows to the M3 junction is currently a proposal by M.C.C., as like the rail line from Dunboyne to Navan, it may never happen! ever though the village needs them....

The "Ring Road" and the proposed link road to the M3 are show here on OSM

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Metalpanic wrote: »
    Virgin Media off to a very bad start. Constantly getting connection errors with TV and BB dropping off. Totally out today no service at all.

Virgin are normally really good and have a very good track record for their broadband service. Which part of Dunshaughlin currently has Virgin live?

Virgin now have 3 speed plans: 250, 360 and a new 500 plan. I presume you can avail of all 3 in Dunshaughlin?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Archiebello

Mackapacka wrote: »

I wouldn’t have too many concerns on the link road as I would also agree most traffic is still going to use the existing main road. I expect if and when it’s completed you would be quicker going through the village by the time you had crossed the Lagore, Ratoath and Red Bog roads.
    One of the benefits of this development being of such a large scale is the infrastructure that is going in that smaller estates wouldn’t have. The cycle/running paths, primary school and neighbourhood centre look pretty impressive from the below link http://dunshaughlineastshd.ie/documents/architecture/MCORM%20Design%20Statement.pdf
    If you are still unsure about The Willows would you consider 1 of the other new estates, Fairfield, Cnoc Tiarnach or Dun Rioga?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mackapacka

Thanks for the replies everyone. We’ve been reassured that our road won’t be a main road and after looking at the plans for the surrounding area I feel much better. We had looked at the rest of the new estates but the finish on the willows was the best for us with the option to convert the attic in the future which a lot of the others don’t have. After speaking again to to estate agent and looking at all proposed plans we are happy to stick with it :) will be amazing to see how dunshaughlin will be in a few years although I hope it doesn’t lose that village feel as that’s what drew us to the area :)

I wouldn’t have too many concerns on the link road as I would also agree most traffic is still going to use the existing main road. I expect if and when it’s completed you would be quicker going through the village by the time you had crossed the Lagore, Ratoath and Red Bog roads.
    One of the benefits of this development being of such a large scale is the infrastructure that is going in that smaller estates wouldn’t have. The cycle/running paths, primary school and neighbourhood centre look pretty impressive from the below link http://dunshaughlineastshd.ie/documents/architecture/MCORM%20Design%20Statement.pdf
    If you are still unsure about The Willows would you consider 1 of the other new estates, Fairfield, Cnoc Tiarnach or Dun Rioga?

I had no idea the plans were that ambitious! Wow. Personally I don’t think there is enough infrastructure and amenities in the village as a whole to support that kind of development. I know they are planning on adding commercial space there but will it be enough?

Wow! I also had no idea that plans for The Willows were that ambitions! It looks to be almost 1/3 of the entire town itself. What surprises me most is the section earmarked for 'Employment/Industrial lands'. If that ended up being some form of retail park it would be great for the town. I don't think a residential area comprising of 913 units could exist without a significant increase in commercial units.

None of this has actually been applied for yet though, it's just a proposed development so it really is a long way off i'd say.

I'm sure the residents of Maelduin would have serious objections to a pedestrian/cycleway used as a short cut through their estate for all of those houses. That would completely change the area. I know if I lived there I would be putting up serious objections when/if the time comes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

those plans are very impressive. I knew it was going to be a large area of housing, but had no idea it was going to involve alot of apartments. Really excited by the look of the public space, recreational areas, trees and landscapes, looks to be plenty of greenery. This really will transform Dunshaughlin into a proper town, but it looks as if it will still hold some of the village charm which is very important.

Excited too by the prospect of a possible industrial/retail park.

Dunshaughlin is going to need more restaurants, pubs, shops, another supermarket, possibly a hotel, a leisure centre when all these developments are up and running. This development alone is properly equal to nearly Dunshaughlin doubling itself in population.

Great to see so much positivity and development into the town since Lidl opened.

So Aldi has received planning permission to open in Dunshaughlin.....

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/03/14/4170960-aldi-plans-to-have-dunshaughlin-store-open-in-early-2020/

Personally I think it's a bit of overkill for the village centre. If they secured a site on the outskirts of the village it would be better. It will be an awful pity to see those big trees all cut down for a supermarket.

I took a walk around the village last night and it seems there's apartments and houses popping up everywhere. Even a few shoved in behind the Euro store.

Dunshaughlin will be unrecognisable in five years time. And i'm not sure if it will be for the better....

Hopefully they can keep some of those trees.

Exile59 wrote: »
    So Aldi has received planning permission to open in Dunshaughlin.....

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/03/14/4170960-aldi-plans-to-have-dunshaughlin-store-open-in-early-2020/

Personally I think it's a bit of overkill for the village centre. If they secured a site on the outskirts of the village it would be better. It will be an awful pity to see those big trees all cut down for a supermarket.

I took a walk around the village last night and it seems there's apartments and houses popping up everywhere. Even a few shoved in behind the Euro store.

Dunshaughlin will be unrecognisable in five years time. And i'm not sure if it will be for the better....

I know what you mean, however I feel it would be better for the village as a whole if people could park their cars in either Lidl or Aldi carparks and have the option to walk from one to the other and if they do that, they might go a little further to another shops within the area, but if you have to jump in the car to go to the outskirts of the village to one shop (Aldi) it's then unlikely the same person will stop in the village for other bits and bobs!

I do agree it is a pity to see big trees cut down for any new developments, but they would probably be cut down in the near future anyway, on "Health and Safety" grounds, as they are near the road and the Liam Keane building.

I just checked the plans and the trees are to be taken down. The store will be parallel to the back of Bank of Ireland and the solicitors, pretty much hidden from view in a lot of ways which is good I suppose.

And yea, I hear you re parking Genehunt, that should alleviate a lot of the parking issues. Hopefully there will be some new businesses to open up on the back of this new store.

I see we have another Mobile phone/repair store as well, where Tasty bite used to be...there's certainly no shortage of places to get the phone fixed or hair cut...if only people needed to eat.....!

• Advertisement

I think as part of this new Aldi Store development the pedestrian crossing at Madden's Carpark should be relocated closer to Lidl, to the corner of the Liam Keane building and incorporated into the traffic light junction for Lidl. I believe this would improve traffic flow through the village at peak times as having a separate pedestrian light so near the other traffic lights is crazy. The yellow box within this junction is regularly ignored and this means it's difficult to turn right onto the main street for Navan direction from the Lagore Road and when this new Aldi store opens this will be a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rocman2019

Cllr Gerry O Connor seams to have a handle on Dunshaughlin....all I can see is "delivered by"....e.g. lights in park, hgv ban on some road, new footpaths from church to An Sibin(badly needed)...and it looks like its him rather than Meath County Council that is pushing link road from M3 at j6 to old N3 at willows....one to watch in local elections....im new to Dunshaughlin but haven't heard anything from other six councillors

Rocman2019 wrote: »
    Cllr Gerry O Connor seams to have a handle on Dunshaughlin....all I can see is "delivered by"....e.g. lights in park, hgv ban on some road, new footpaths from church to An Sibin(badly needed)...and it looks like its him rather than Meath County Council that is pushing link road from M3 at j6 to old N3 at willows....one to watch in local elections....im new to Dunshaughlin but haven't heard anything from other six councillors

But bare in mind Cllr. Gerry O'Conner was Cathaoirleach (Chairman) of the Meath County Council for 2017-2018 and was replaced by Tom Kelly in June 2018 (see link). Yes, you are right, it does look like he delivered a lot for Dunshaughlin, I just wonder as he is a "normal" Councillor again, will he be able to continue to get so much done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

GeneHunt wrote: »
    I think as part of this new Aldi Store development the pedestrian crossing at Madden's Carpark should be relocated closer to Lidl, to the corner of the Liam Keane building and incorporated into the traffic light junction for Lidl. I believe this would improve traffic flow through the village at peak times as having a separate pedestrian light so near the other traffic lights is crazy. The yellow box within this junction is regularly ignored and this means it's difficult to turn right onto the main street for Navan direction from the Lagore Road and when this new Aldi store opens this will be a lot worse.

The pedestrian lights are virtually unusable, priority given to cars at all times and waiting times useful if you sprint across. The priority should be back to pedestrians, I have seen some of the driving through the village and people travel at ridiculous speeds given its a built up area.

I was talking to Gerry O'Connor about the traffic on the Drumree road out of the village and for a road with 2 schools and a community centre and a GAA club the speeds of traffic are way above what is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Anyone notice large flocks of Seagulls in the area recently? Very noticeable in the evening from around 3 pm or so onwards. They seem to head down towards the Warrenstown area. I wonder if their an illegal dump down there? or someone better in the know with regards to their behaviour can enlighten me?

Anyone notice large flocks of Seagulls in the area recently? Very noticeable in the evening from around 3 pm or so onwards. They seem to head down towards the Warrenstown area. I wonder if their an illegal dump down there? or someone better in the know with regards to their behaviour can enlighten me?

There was some fields being ploughed and they seem to head towards this.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

I see another new planning application gone online - anyone know where this site is?

http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/FS19039/0

Development Description: the construction of a two storey residential development comprising three number single storey apartments at ground floor level & first floor level and two number two storey apartments

Development Address: Dunshaughlin Apartments, Lagore Road, Dunshaughlin, Co Meath

I see another new planning application gone online - anyone know where this site is?

http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/FS19039/0

Development Description: the construction of a two storey residential development comprising three number single storey apartments at ground floor level & first floor level and two number two storey apartments

Development Address: Dunshaughlin Apartments, Lagore Road, Dunshaughlin, Co Meath

Well as far as the exact location, it is hard to tell, but I presume it has to be down past the creche and Lagore Court/Lagore Green. Probably around where the (hopefully) new ring road will be. There's no space before that, unless its going to be tucked in where Hora stores his machinery next to where Aldi is going....

The applicant is Meath Co Co. Does that mean it will be social housing apartments?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

Exile59 wrote: »
    Well as far as the exact location, it is hard to tell, but I presume it has to be down past the creche and Lagore Court/Lagore Green. Probably around where the (hopefully) new ring road will be. There's no space before that, unless its going to be tucked in where Hora stores his machinery next to where Aldi is going....

The applicant is Meath Co Co. Does that mean it will be social housing apartments?

Yeah this is my guess too but very vague.

ring road coming out there? I thought it was coming out the other side of village from the second roundabout after GAA, behind church etc and through Rathill and out by Topaz

• Advertisement

Yeah this is my guess too but very vague.

ring road coming out there? I thought it was coming out the other side of village from the second roundabout after GAA, behind church etc and through Rathill and out by Topaz

I think they're two separate projects altogether, if I'm right at all. There are plans for a road going alongside The Willows connecting the main road with The Lagore Road. It is in the architectural plans submitted already, but that's a few years off yet, if approved.

Advertisement