Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Had a cracking few matches against Nakamura too. One in particular for the IC Title was an easy **** 1/2, maybe ****3/4 match. Point being if you can think of a handful of great matches, he's hardly the drizzling s****

Lars Sullivan has a 5 Star match under his belt. The stock put into that system is mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Had a cracking few matches against Nakamura too. One in particular for the IC Title was an easy **** 1/2, maybe ****3/4 match. Point being if you can think of a handful of great matches, he's hardly the drizzling s****

Ah hes very bland in the ring, nothing crazy bad.... nothing crazy good IMO. Saddled with Gallows does him no favours. Wouldnt agree that his matches with Nakamura were that good. They were better than his usual standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Omackeral wrote: »
    Lars Sullivan has a 5 Star match under his belt. The stock put into that system is mad.

I hope I'm not being dumb here but does he? All of Anderson's big matches that I'm talking about are big singles bouts. Numerous G1 matches (off the top of my head had an absolute banger with Michael Elgin at Korakuen Hall) and some older classics (vs Tanahashi at New Beginning 2013). Like sorry but if Anderson is considering "the drizzling s****" then the majority (and I'm talking like probably over 70% of pro wrestlers) are worse.

Weird timing too considering he's coming off a really good Hard to Kill ppv main event trios match.

I think Omack is refering to a multi man ladder latch with Lars.

Thats a fun match but IMO its not 5 stars. The stars rating system is subjective anyway.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Ah hes very bland in the ring, nothing crazy bad.... nothing crazy good IMO. Saddled with Gallows does him no favours. Wouldnt agree that his matches with Nakamura were that good. They were better than his usual standard.

I'm not making a case for Anderson as wrestler of the year but I think with a deep dive into his career there's some real good stuff there, there has to be given that he was in the G1 like every year at the peak of NJPW. I'd say he's definitely above the average level of mainstream pro wrestlers.

• Advertisement

I'm not making a case for Anderson as wrestler of the year but I think with a deep dive into his career there's some real good stuff there, there has to be given that he was in the G1 like every year at the peak of NJPW. I'd say he's definitely above the average level of mainstream pro wrestlers.

I wont call him a **** wrestler, but he gas go away heat from me. Seeing him and Gallows immediately makes me groan. Yes hes not Yokozunna bad or Mabel bad, but he just does nothing for me personally and the combo of him and Gallows isnt one I like to more in AEW.

The multi man matches, with 4 or more assisting players, is how Id prefer to see them used. Like the 8 man tag last week.

I think Omack is refering to a multi man ladder latch with Lars.

Thats a fun match but IMO its not 5 stars. The stars rating system is subjective anyway.

I really had to go searching for that one.

But anyway a guy whose worked as many tours of NJPW (at a time when in ring the only comparison in history is early to mid 90's AJPW) and being a pushed and (relatively) protected commodity, he's far from the drizzling s****

I really had to go searching for that one.

But anyway a guy whose worked as many tours of NJPW (at a time when in ring the only comparison in history is early to mid 90's AJPW) and being a pushed and (relatively) protected commodity, he's far from the drizzling s****

Can you honestly say you get excited when you see Andreson and Gallows in tag action though?

I think the poster who originally called him the drilzling ****s was probably just exaggerating. Im sure he just has go away heat for them as a team. Andreson is mostly guilty by association IMO

I wont call him a **** wrestler, but he gas go away heat from me. Seeing him and Gallows immediately makes me groan. Yes hes not Yokozunna bad or Mabel bad, but he just does nothing for me personally and the combo of him and Gallows isnt one I like to more in AEW.

The multi man matches, with 4 or more assisting players, is how Id prefer to see them used. Like the 8 man tag last week.

I can't say I love his team with Gallows either. I'd like to see him work some singles but at this stage of his career it's probably going to be multi man tags from here on out. Definitely think he has a role to play in those though.

Can you honestly say you get excited when you see Andreson and Gallows in tag action though?

I used to get hyped for Anderson's G1 run every year but, no I don't look forward to the Anderson/Gallows tag bell to bell.

I think that can be true and also that in ring he's absolutely in the top 30% of workers in say, AEW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,890 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Like them or not The Good Brothers have found their niche and are making better money than 75% of professional wrestlers and in a business that will chew you and spit you out as just quick as it will take you in well all I’ll say is fair play to them.

They don’t make me switch the channel like a lot of wrestlers do.

I used to get hyped for Anderson's G1 run every year but, no I don't look forward to the Anderson/Gallows tag bell to bell.

I think that can be true and also that in ring he's absolutely in the top 30% of workers in say, AEW.

I wouldnt say 30 percent. Personally, maybe top 60 percent for me. But Id really have to run the numbers. Its a guess TBH.

Like them or not The Good Brothers have found their niche and are making better money than 75% of professional wrestlers and in a business that will chew you and spit you out as just quick as it will take you in well all I’ll say is fair play to them.

They don’t make me switch the channel like a lot of wrestlers do.

No doubt and power to them for making the money. Gotta admire their hustle.

Still rather not watch them though myself.

I wouldnt say 30 percent. Personally, maybe top 60 percent for me. But Id really have to run the numbers. Its a guess TBH.

😂 If there's ever a day where we're very bored and nothing is happening we can list every AEW roster member and then reach a consensus on whether Anderson is better or worse than each one. Run the numbers Beakerjoe!

Mightedly impressed with 'Jungle Boy' Jack Perry again last week

He's gonna be money.

He's gonna be money.

Hes a great underdog babyface. Very talented in ring great look, age on his side and the only way is up.

I literally cant say a bad thing about him.

I re-watched The Acclaimed music video from Dark and I have to say it made me smile a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I think Jungle Boy's look and character will have to change over time but there's no rush at all.

That is the one good thing JR has done for me using his real name when calling his matches Jungle Boy Jack Perry.

Because he will grow out of the Boy thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I re-watched The Acclaimed music video from Dark and I have to say it made me smile a lot.

I do enjoy their raps, always enjoyable

• Advertisement

Tony Khan was asked on the Jericho podcast today what stuff does he regret booking on AEW and his answer was the Matt Hardy teleportation stuff. At least he admits it. I hated it at the time.

JR calling Thunder Rosa Shida during the match Excalibur having to cover for him again.

Tony who was out of the game for the guts of 20 years and puts him to shame.

A tournament for the woman's title one side to take place in Japan featuring the Japanese talent and one side to take place in the US with US based talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I will always mark out for the Sinister Minister. Also Maki Itoh!

Penelope Ford is a stunning looking woman.

Nice to see Bear Country involved in the lumberjack match

KENTA!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

KENTA!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's about damn time.

So one wonders now, is that door between AEW & NJPW open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭savemejebus

KENTA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shame the GTS looked weak. Luckily Mox sold it like Shawn Michaels selling for Hulk Hogan. WTF? way to ruin a moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Shame the GTS looked weak. Luckily Mox sold it like Shawn Michaels selling for Hulk Hogan. WTF? way to ruin a moment.

What was that about? Absurd way to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Penelope Ford is a stunning looking woman.

That was the only good thing about the whole segment. I thought when Miro started doing his speech he was going to admit he was cheating with Penelope the whole time but it just turned into a mess. He is getting wasted teamed up with Kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭ThePott

Kenta angle is class hope this leads to more NJPW crossover even though as said the GTS and the sell were both a bit dodge.
    The wedding angle was a bit of a dud not sure what I expected but after so much promotion would have hoped for something a bit better is all.
    Women's tournament looks really solid, serious amount of Joshi talent there although I do wonder if given the current situation it seems pretty likely the winner will have to be American. Only minor gripes I'd have with it would be that Leyla Hirsch is in despite being beaten by Penelope Ford a few weeks back while she's not in it at all. Shame there's no Impact Knockouts in it either but otherwise sounds pretty promising. Hope it's not all pushed to Youtube though.

Strong show overall though, sounds like an unsanctioned match next week between Moxley and Archer VS. Omega and Kenta.

Enjoyable show. Thought the main event and Britt Vs Thunder Rosa were great. Loved the surprise at the end of the main event as well and excited to see where the relationship between the two companies will go.

Kingston Vs Archer was good.

Probably the most organised battle royal they've done so far but one thing that annoyed me was the camera cutting away from big moments and missing them a few times.

Even if it's a squash, I don't want to see Luther anywhere near a match on Dynamite.

Hated the wedding segment. Went on far too long and the payoff at the end was **** imo.

I don't follow Japanese women's wrestling tbh but was wondering who, out of the names announced for the tournament, to look out for? Anyone decent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

KENTA :)

That was a class episode, loved it. The main event was great, Rey Fenix and PAC really are two of the very best wrestlers in any company. I liked Baker/Rosa too.

As for the joshi side of the tournament, I'm guessing everyone is familiar with Aja Kong. Yuka and Emi Sakura have already wrestled in AEW and are both very good. Of the first time appearances it has to be Maki Itoh and Mei Suruga, again both good in ring but Itoh is more character driven. Never ever thought I'd see the day when Maki wrestled under the AEW banner, looking forward to it. Pity they couldn't get some STARDOM talent in considering the ties with New Japan.

All these working relationships and exciting new talents appearing on Dynamite, it's not a bad time at all to be a pro-wrestling fan. Just need that cancelled Suzuki/Cassidy match and we're sorted!

Apparently, and it's from Voices Of Wrestling on Twitter, that AEW are working/collaborating with 7 other promotions.

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1357178310535634949

• Advertisement

They also have a partnership with OWE in China.

NJPW have connections with CMLL and if Evil Uno gets his wish there is a connection to CMLL as well for AEW.

A good rundown of the wrestlers on the Japanese side of the womens tournament, for anyone like me that doesn't know much about them.

https://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2021/02/04/a-primer-to-the-japanese-side-of-the-aew-womens-eliminator-tournament/

A good rundown of the wrestlers on the Japanese side of the womens tournament, for anyone like me that doesn't know much about them.

https://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2021/02/04/a-primer-to-the-japanese-side-of-the-aew-womens-eliminator-tournament/

A sweet crash course on Joshi wrestling it is then.

I mean that KENTA angle at the end was pure gold. For a year people are asking talking about how the IWGP US Title is a waste of time, saying they should strip it from Mox, KENTA is out there with his briefcase cutting killer promos, Mox does the run in on NJPW Strong, KENTA runs in here, we have an Omega/KENTA vs Mox/Archer tornado tag for next week. Long term story, payoff, satisfaction. I love it, man I love it and I popped huge for that angle, for the execution of it and for what it could mean. Pure excitement.

The main event trios was tremendous, great speed to that match, cool spots, and I loved the decisive heel victory. No nonsense, no shenanigans, on the night the BC group were better and you can do a heel victory without nonsense and they can still be heels. ****1/4.

I thought Britt/Rosa was real good too. Had an intensity to it, it felt like a struggle between two athletes who don't like each other. The pace was really pretty high throughout too. The more I think about the match, the more I like it. ***3/4.

The wedding can get in the bin. The payoff wasn't worth the sheer length of it. I did enjoy James Mitchell as (sinister) minister and the crowd chant "baby don't hurt me" did make me laugh. Still though, it just went too long.

Inner Circle stuff is rolling along nicely, and the Battle Royal was really well laid out. Lots of mini stories they managed to include in it on top of the greater overall story. AEW as a company do that very well, reminiscent of the best Royal Rumbles that Patterson would lay out.

Really good Dynamite, that show closer has caught the attention and the rating of next weeks show should reflect that.

The "wedding" could have been scrapped, and no one would have batted an eyelid.

My only complaint from an otherwise top notch show.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The "wedding" could have been scrapped, and no one would have batted an eyelid.

My only complaint from an otherwise top notch show.

Every so often they veer into that stuff. I get why, the AEW core audience are fans of Being the Elite and that's the kinda comedy they like. And sometimes it works for me (the Inner Circle in ring segment a couple weeks ago was really good) and sometimes it does not (the wedding, Inner Circle in Vegas). The two things are, once it doesn't get too cute (which last night did) and it doesn't overstay it's welcome (again, last night's wedding did).

Miro and weddings don't work.

Part of me wonders was this whole thing Miro's idea.

An enjoyable episode to say the least.

Loved the battle royal. Exciting and had some nice spots and story development. Live how the Inner Circle story is sailing along.

And for those asking for Top Flight to be canned last week, I guess this week they showed it was one bad spot. Excellent showing from them and the Acclaimed, who are seriously growing in me.

Was fine with the short Hardy Hangman match. It was quick thank god but Matt Hardy wrestling Luthar isnt on my wish list.

Womans match was probably Britts best match yet but Im still not sold on her if im honest

Archer v Kingston was grand. Nothing more nothing less.

Shaq wrestling at his age again doesnt fill me with joy.

Ive no problem with wedding angles, but this one was surprisingly awful. Considering the build, eg the length and Miros involvement, it just was an awful payoff. I expected something better and it felt like they booked the angle without a direction. Just awful. I didnt enjoy the Haddaway bit though.

The six man was awesome and loved Kenta, was shocked as I didnt think it happen but wow. WWE really missed the boat with him.

Yes it had its neagtives, but it was bookended by two great ecciting matches. An enjoyable 2 hours.

Every so often they veer into that stuff. I get why, the AEW core audience are fans of Being the Elite and that's the kinda comedy they like. And sometimes it works for me (the Inner Circle in ring segment a couple weeks ago was really good) and sometimes it does not (the wedding, Inner Circle in Vegas). The two things are, once it doesn't get too cute (which last night did) and it doesn't overstay it's welcome (again, last night's wedding did).

The angle was built up and it appears it had no end game. The wedding should be the pay off and thats why it fell flat for me. Just very aimless. Really out of character for AEW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭ThePott

It's just so dumb. Everyone wrote off a wedding angle when he was Rusev in WWE and rightly so and what's the first thing they do with him in AEW? Stick him in a wedding angle and we gave them the benefit of the doubt that this must be leading to something even a Miro turn or something but nope. He was Kip's best man and that was it. Dreadful stuff.

The angle was built up and it appears it had no end game. The wedding should be the pay off and thats why it fell flat for me. Just very aimless. Really out of character for AEW.

It's been a vehicle for The Best Friends comedy stuff, and apparently it's been a holding pattern for Miro to keep him on TV until the big angle they have for him is ready. I don't know if that's ideal, you risk turning the audience against him to the point of no return. The Miro/Kip thing isn't long for this world anyway, that's clear and the 1st seed of the break up was planted last night. I've accepted this isn't for me. And if the angle for Miro is more stuff along these lines then I'll hand waive that too.

It's been a vehicle for The Best Friends comedy stuff, and apparently it's been a holding pattern for Miro to keep him on TV until the big angle they have for him is ready. I don't know if that's ideal, you risk turning the audience against him to the point of no return. The Miro/Kip thing isn't long for this world anyway, that's clear and the 1st seed of the break up was planted last night. I've accepted this isn't for me. And if the angle for Miro is more stuff along these lines then I'll hand waive that too.

Wasnt mad on the players, Kip is as bland as bread. Miro has it but this hasnt been the best show case for him. I stuck with it as ai dont mind these angles. My thinking was AEW has to have a decent end game planned. It went no where sadly.

I like OC but the best friends turn me right off. Miro and OC are capable of more. A straight up Miro vs OC feud would be better without Kip, the wedsing angle that went no where and the Butler gimmick that did nothing much to further this aimless angle.

Not everything is a homerun. Its a negative on an otherwise great period for AEW.

On the flipside Im loving how the Dark Order has evolved since Brodie past. Theyve handled it brilliantly

Wasnt mad on the players, Kip is as bland as bread. Miro has it but this hasnt been the best show case for him. I stuck with it as ai dont mind these angles. My thinking was AEW has to have a decent end game planned. It went no where sadly.

I like OC but the best friends turn me right off. Miro and OC are capable of more. A straight up Miro vs OC feud would be better without Kip, the wedsing angle that went no where and the Butler gimmick that did nothing much to further this aimless angle.

Not everything is a homerun. Its a negative on an otherwise great period for AEW.

On the flipside Im loving how the Dark Order has evolved since Brodie past. Theyve handled it brilliantly

Ye Dark Order as loveable underdogs works. I like John Silver, he's a good undercard guy to have and he's got pretty great comedic timing. You can work with that. Also agree with your earlier comment on Top Flight and The Acclaimed, real high ceiling for all 4 of those guys.

John Silver that old adage if he was a couple of inches taller he could be a big star in the making.

He will be a very solid entertaining mid card guy for years to come in the wrestling business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The main event was class, first of all every man in that ring is able to carry himself - then you get the Kenta angle on AEW tv...

I'm just waiting for the supercard at this point and see where they can take it but it feels good to be marking out as an old jaded rasslin fan and looking forward to next week again, for the first time in I can't remember!

Whatever about Kenta I'm thinkin about Okada and Naito and Ibushi coming in live on US tv and being presented as the masters they are, Ospreay vs Pac, Suzuki vs Archer?... This sh1t is exciting if you are a wrestling fan, there's no two ways about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement