Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Views on new Templecarrig admission policy

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

recedite wrote: »
    You didn't say whether she attended one of the local feeder schools

She did.
    Not really relevant to me as my reaction would have been the same regardless of the primary school.
    The parents may not be aware of it but those kids will then have a lesser entitlement to a place in TCG.

Not a big deal IMHO.
    There are other schools, life goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

- 1 - Temple Carrig Secondary School Admissions Policy

School
    Overall Percentage of places offered
    St Laurence’s NS
    22%
    St Kevin’s NS
    17%
    St Patrick’s NS
    15%
    Delgany NS
    10 %

Greystones Educate Together
    10%
    St Brigid’s NS
    9%
    Gael Scoil
    9%
    St Andrew’s (Cat 2)
    5%
    Powerscourt NS (Cat 2)
    2%
    St Francis (Cat 2)
    1. %

When you look at the CoI schools listed above,
    (St Patrick’s, Delgany, St Andrews, St Francis and Enniskerry) and apply the percentages stated to 131 admissions I think you’ll arrive at approx 44 Allowing for the fact that not all pupils migrating from the schools stated are Protestant you should adjust your figures to take account of this, hence why I stated “approx 40 +/-“. You also need to allow for the fact that not all Protestants are CoI; some of the children could be: Methodist, Presbyterian, Baptist, Evangelical, Pentecostal, Brethern, Lutheran, Cooneyite, Quaker, Moravian etc. So simply by stating that 19 of those enrolled are CoI is to exclude any and all other Protestants.

Ah right..as the COI is the whipping boy here it didn’t seem necessary to include others but the ante has obviously been upped to include all Protestant churches..will remember in future ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

2011 wrote: »
    My daughter attends Templecarrig. She applied and got in despite the fact that she is not CoI. I am very happy with the school and so is she. Initially she didn’t get in, it was only because someone pulled out that she eventually got a place. When we initially though she hadn’t a place we didn’t make a song and dance about it. I’m sure she would have got on just fine in a different school.

I’m CoI myself, but never attend church as I couldn’t be arsed with all of the politics.

That’s just my 2c worth, life is too short :)

Well said! (The last sentence that is :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

This school was built and funded by the UK government, no fees, just managed by the CoE.
    Not normally how they do things in the UK, although the recent move towards "foundation schools" is something like our "patronage" system.
    What is the name of this school, just out of curiosity?

She did.
    Not really relevant to me as my reaction would have been the same regardless of the primary school.
    Well, if she had gone to a primary school outside of the area, she would not have got her place. So, yeah, it is quite relevant really.
    Maybe not to you personally, because your daughter got a place in the school, and beyond that it doesn't matter to you.

The highest priority category admission (originally, and still, called Category 1) was defined by the Dept. of Education before the CoI was ever awarded the patronage of the school.
    Subsequently the winning patron tinkered around with the priority, introducing religious discrimination within Cat 1 and also introducing some priority for Cat 0 (staff) and Cat 2 (CoI schools from outside the area).

However Cat 1 consists of all the local primary schools, and these are the kids this new secondary school was built to serve.

Here is the 2019 admissions statistics, and the admission policy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

recedite wrote: »
    Well, if she had gone to a primary school outside of the area, she would not have got her place. So, yeah, it is quite relevant really.

My point is that my reaction would have been the same if she did not get in, life goes on. Life does not revolve around getting into a particular secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭stilltryingit

TCG usually gives about 120-130 places to locals, they also offer at least 12 places to children from outside the area. They do not have enough places for locals but the extra 12 plus places are reserved for CoI children from outside the area. They do not have to satisfy local demand first

TCG usually gives about 120-130 places to locals, they also offer at least 12 places to children from outside the area. They do not have enough places for locals but the extra 12 plus places are reserved for CoI children from outside the area. They do not have to satisfy local demand first
    Maybe, maybe not. Who knows.
    If this is the unwritten policy though, it is against the stated admission policy which I gave a link to, just 2 posts back.
    And also breaches the terms under which they currently hold the patronage.
    A breach of the terms of a contract normally causes a contract to be revoked and tendered out again.

Places available must be offered to Cat 1 before moving on to Cat 2 on the waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

My point is that my reaction would have been the same if she did not get in, life goes on. Life does not revolve around getting into a particular secondary school.

A real case of "I'm alright jack".

But then you would be because you're CoI and so you have a place.

It's all too easy to adopt your position when you've already taken up a place and your child is now attending the school.

Our daughter didn't get in because, as we've since learned, the rector and some members of his board took an extreme dislike to our family so we just moved on and took up the place she had been offered in EGS.

Boy are we eternally grateful for that decision now :D

But I don't presume to know how other parents feel, or how they should respond to the sectarianism and I certainly don't think i'd take it lying down if my child lost out on a place to a local state funded school because they were the wrong religion.

This is 2019, not 1919.

Rennaws wrote: »
    A real case of "I'm alright jack".

No it’s a case of “I never particularly cared either way Jack”.

I simply believe that there are more important things in life.
    But then you would be because you're CoI and so you have a place.

Incorrect, we never had a place. Read my post again, initially we were told she didn’t get in.

As previously stated I don’t attend church, ever so my religion was of no benefit.
    Also as also stated my daughter is not CoI as it happens neither is her mother.

• Advertisement

No it’s a case of “I never particularly cared either way Jack”.

I simply believe that there are more important things in life.

Indeed.

As you post in a thread about a topic you care so little about :rolleyes:

You might not care, and why would you when you already have a place, but many other parents do care and are denied places so that you and other CoI kids from outside the area can get in.

That's wrong and not how the patronage was sold to the community who happily gave their support at the time.
    Incorrect, we never had a place. Read my post again, initially we were told she didn’t get in.

I read your post. You have a place.

The method by which you got it is irrelevant to those who didn't.

It's more than a bit rich for you to be lecturing others on how they should feel about being denied access to a state funded school when you happen to be the "correct" religion and already have a child attending.

It's more than a bit rich for you to be lecturing

Lecturing???:confused:

3 words:
    Pot, kettle, black

Lecturing???:confused

Yes lecturing..

You’re posting on a thread discussing the exclusionary and sectarian admissions policy of a local school and rather then debate the salient points you’re too busy telling us how little you care about the topic and that parents should just get over it when they don’t get a place, all the while you yourself are of the “correct” religion and currently benefitting from a place for your child in the school.

It’s more than a tad hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Skyfloater

She did.

Not a big deal IMHO.
    There are other schools, life goes on.

May have been mentioned before, but you are aware that St. Davids is over subscribed this year too.
    The real disgrace isn't TC admission policy, it's why was a school built that was never going to meet the projected demand in the first place.

Yes lecturing..

You’re posting on a thread discussing the exclusionary and sectarian admissions policy of a local school and rather then debate the salient points you’re too busy telling us how little you care about the topic and that parents should just get over it when they don’t get a place, all the while you yourself are of the “correct” religion and currently benefitting from a place for your child in the school.

It’s more than a tad hypocritical.

I was just making the point that there are more important things in life. Clearly you feel differently. That is not “lecturing” it is just an opinion from someone on the internet that you don’t agree with.
    Take a deep breath :) You can get through this :)

If it’s any consolation I couldn’t get my second child in on a technicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Skyfloater wrote: »
    May have been mentioned before, but you are aware that St. Davids is over subscribed this year too.
    The real disgrace isn't TC admission policy, it's why was a school built that was never going to meet the projected demand in the first place.

I think TCG is as big as the Dept. likes to build these days. Very large schools can be more difficult to manage. As it is the school is going to require an extension to accommodate the projected numbers.

There's a 3rd post-primary due to open in 2021 in Charlesland.

Take a deep breath :) You can get through this :)

There’s no need to be so patronizing.

My eldest daughter is well out of school and my youngest is enjoying her time in EGS.

So no deep breaths required and there’s nothing to get through other then the incredibly dishonest and vindictive campaign being waged against a member of my family for speaking out against these sectarian policies. But good will out bad in the end on that one.
    If it’s any consolation I couldn’t get my second child in on a technicality.

Why would it be consolation to me that you didn’t get your second child in ? I wish every local child that wishes to attend could have a place.

That’s kinda the point.

And you clearly wanted a place since you applied twice so telling others to get over it when you already have a child attending is hypocritical in the extreme. That was all.

There’s no need to be so patronizing.

Not intended to be patronising, see smiley.
    the incredibly dishonest and vindictive campaign being waged against a member of my family for speaking out against these sectarian policies.

I think you can take your position on their policy as read.
    And you clearly wanted a place since you applied twice so telling others to get over it when you already have a child attending is hypocritical in the extreme. That was all.

Clearly, and I only got it for one child and not the other.
    I just said "fukc it!" and moved on, end of.

Anyway, I will leave you to it.
    Good luck :)

I just said "fukc it!" and moved on, end of.

Likewise although we never actually got a refusal. Our application was never acknowledged.
    Good luck :)

And to you :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement