Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Locker10a wrote: »
    And I believe EI have reversed their policy of charging for booze on transatlantics and offer free wine and beer in economy
    I was out with mates in town Friday night and asked one of them who still works with EI. She says complimentary beer/wine isn’t in operation yet. She had no idea when it was going to happen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

theguzman wrote: »
    Question here, a few months ago I took advantage of one of Aer Lingus's sales to book a flight for another person to visit Ireland. Anyway fast forward several months later and that relationship ended acrimoniously. I have received intel that said person is now intending to travel on that same booking next week to Ireland. Do I as the person who paid the ticket have any right to get the booking cancelled or nullified? The itinerary is in my email and I paid it with my Credit Card, ideally I would like to have it cancelled, not worried about the refund despite what it cost. The same flight is now sold-out and EI could sell that seat at almost double what I paid for it at the point of booking, Ideally I could call them up and cancel the reservation, not worried about refunds.

Well did you call them to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Well did you call them to ask?

No, lol calling Aer Lingus is about as much fun as a root canal, I discovered I can cancel online and apply to see what money I could get back. Last year after EI cancelled a flight from SNN I spent almost two hours on hold rearranging an uncles flight as they cancelled flights to JFK every second week last year. I really loathe them as an airlines over that issue.

theguzman wrote: »
    No, lol calling Aer Lingus is about as much fun as a root canal, I discovered I can cancel online and apply to see what money I could get back. Last year after EI cancelled a flight from SNN I spent almost two hours on hold rearranging an uncles flight as they cancelled flights to JFK every second week last year. I really loathe them as an airlines over that issue.

Well I suggested it because I’ve had to call them and tbh who I dealt with was very good and helpful, they were really flexible with me about changing a flight so I thought you might get some good advice/help from them like I did.
    Did you get it cancelled so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Well I suggested it because I’ve had to call them and tbh who I dealt with was very good and helpful, they were really flexible with me about changing a flight so I thought you might get some good advice/help from them like I did.
    Did you get it cancelled so?

Not yet but I know how to do it online, but I will call them up tomorrow during office hours to do it over the phone and to see what refund if any I'm due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

Davy wrote: »
    Business seat 7A, with a curtain pulled around it.

LAX and DAA utilize 6A with the curtain.

GAJ, GCF and DUO have an integral flight deck crew rest area.

SFO is a 300 destination - GAJ and GCF

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

Real first world query but will ask anyway

Just wondering if anybody here has used the Virgin Lounge at LAX as an Aer Lingus Business Class passenger?

I am looking at booking a flight and have the option of connecting at LAX and I see that Aer Lingus passengers have access to the Virgin Clubhouse. I really enjoyed the Clubhouses at LHR and SFO on my last trips so would consider taking this route/ Just wondering if Aer Lingus passengers get the full experience of the lounge with the dining menu etc. or is it restricted?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Had the opportunity to get a tax refund in LHR this evening, this is now done by TRAVELEX and is simple, however from the original £75, i ended up getting £43 from them, however the interesting part was that they immediate offered me $$$, or EUR rather than £. So they were hoping to get a double payment from the tax refund and exchange rate. Not Fair.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

smurfjed wrote: »
    Had the opportunity to get a tax refund in LHR this evening, this is now done by TRAVELEX and is simple, however from the original £75, i ended up getting £43 from them, however the interesting part was that they immediate offered me $$$, or EUR rather than £. So they were hoping to get a double payment from the tax refund and exchange rate. Not Fair.

Well if you are leaving the UK (and obviously don't live there) it seems pretty reasonable to think you may not want cash £s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

A few years ago I was leaving (deplaning? ) an Air Berlin flight. We could only exit at the front. I was stopped at the front door and I might have heard something about weight (calling me heavy?? :p) More people from the back moved up the aisle and we were allowed proceed

I forget all about it until our Ryanair flight into Luxembourg had the same situation. Most of the front half had already exited while the back half remained due to a family causing a bottleneck in the aisle

People got held in the aisle at the front until more of us shifted forward

My question is can a passenger jet tip backwards? Is that possible ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

mikemac2 wrote: »
    My question is can a passenger jet tip backwards? Is that possible ?

It absolutely can, and happens more than you'd think.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3598390/Passenger-plane-tipped-BACKWARDS-baggage-blunder-sees-cargo-unloaded-first.html

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Definitely. In the situation you described (front half empty, back half still with passengers) the aircraft will rise at the front. So if its on a steps/jetbridge it could cause a large gap between the aircraft step and the stairs/jetbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭uxiant

I booked fast track via the Ryanair app but never got a receipt. Any ideas how I can get hold of one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Something going on at Dublin airport this morning? Like 5 DFB fire engines and three ambulances, with blue flashing lights congregating at the east end of the airfield this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Something going on at Dublin airport this morning? Like 5 DFB fire engines and three ambulances, with blue flashing lights congregating at the east end of the airfield this morning?

Standby for a Gulfstream landing with hydraulic issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Due to go to Chicago in 2 weeks and although ive been to America 7 times now its all been for holidays up to now. So when I am being questioned by the customs in Dublin Airport I always tell them purpose of visit is a holiday but now its for business, will that lead to more questions? I don't know why but I just get the feeling they will be ar%sey with me. I have the company statement and the hotels and date of arrival/departure but does anyone here have any experience with the staff when it comes to reason being pleasure/business?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Well, tell the truth whatever you do. Don't want to be caught out by the Americans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Never had any different treatment when travelling for work or holidays or mixture of both. Just answer everything truthfully and you'll have nothing to worry about. With all the American companies in Ireland they're well used to it. You're not doing anything wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

When I traveled to the US for work there was no issues when i got to customs in the US (went via London)

Asked me why I was there said busines. They asked what company I said it and passport stamped no quastion asked was great.

The only issues I have ever had at passport checks is Denmark of all places!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I always tell them I'm travelling for business meetings. Never a problem although last time the bloke seemed to think Skype made the trip unnecessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Due to go to Chicago in 2 weeks and although ive been to America 7 times now its all been for holidays up to now. So when I am being questioned by the customs in Dublin Airport I always tell them purpose of visit is a holiday but now its for business, will that lead to more questions? I don't know why but I just get the feeling they will be ar%sey with me. I have the company statement and the hotels and date of arrival/departure but does anyone here have any experience with the staff when it comes to reason being pleasure/business?

Training. Never say 'business', ever. What you're going for is 'training', or 'meetings'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Business meetings is fine. Never say "work" or they'll think you're trying to get employment without the right visas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Thanks for the replies people. I might stick with training then. Its just they are a real mixed bag up there in customs. Some are lovely others are horrible and want to catch you out on any little thing. Id say they hate their job, a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Thanks for the replies people. I might stick with training then. Its just they are a real mixed bag up there in customs. Some are lovely others are horrible and want to catch you out on any little thing. Id say they hate their job, a few of them.
    It's the opposite, the ones that are horrible actually love their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Never say business or work?!

I've said both before never had any issues. Normally just saying going with work. Then they'll ask where I work and how long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Yeah there are specific classes of things you're not allowed to do when you're over there, and if someone wants to be arsey with you they can catch you out. For example when travelling to interview people in an office in the US, we're always advised by our immigration lawyers to say that we're "assisting our US colleague who manages the site", even if they're below you in the pecking order and you're really the decision maker. Lots of nuance like that. But always always tell the guts of the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Telling them you make youtube videos will get you nothing but grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Has anyone ever went from Paris to the US with XL Airways?

I had a stupid moment and checked in for an Aer Lingus flight and ticked “sit me anywhere” instead of actually choosing a preferred seat. The boarding pass has been issued and I’ve been checked in, is there anyway I can change this? At the kiosk in the terminal maybe ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I had a stupid moment and checked in for an Aer Lingus flight and ticked “sit me anywhere” instead of actually choosing a preferred seat. The boarding pass has been issued and I’ve been checked in, is there anyway I can change this? At the kiosk in the terminal maybe ?

Work sometimes books a seat for us when they book the Plus fare and I normally change this by calling Aer Lingus customer care

Sorry only reading you are checked in, I’ve only done it before checking in

Advertisement