Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

fonzy951 wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/property/eye-catching-cork-city-building-up-for-sale-on-lower-glanmire-road-843309.html

Extract from article:

Great to see JCD planning a very substantial office development on Penrose Quay, these crowd don't mess around.

Penrose Quay development makes the front of tomorrow's Examiner

examiner-11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Nice little tour video too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

That's just awesome, a lovely addition to the city.

I spotted the new building next to Carey tool hire, nice to see development there.
    Does anyone know if there are any plans for all the land Carey tool hire own?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

It is great to see all this development, but there is going to be a lot of square footage of office space available in the City in the immediate future.
    I have to wonder, where are all these companies going to come from and the next obvious question is, where are all the employees going to live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

kub wrote: »
    I have to wonder, where are all these companies going to come from and the next obvious question is, where are all the employees going to live?

Its a good question, but the way I look at is is that JCD and his likes wouldn't be going for planning on multi million Euro developments unless they had every stress test/ survey/ report under the sun done, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if he already had companies lined up to go in. His success at One Albert Quay makes his buildings an attractable option for business looking for new high tech options. Iv done work in 1AQ, its incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭snotboogie

It is great to see all this development, but there is going to be a lot of square footage of office space available in the City in the immediate future.
    I doubt Cork will get any of the top end companies that the Dublin Docklands got but the B+ Finance and Tech companies seem to be lining up to take up office space in Cork City. The Anderson Quay, Camden Place and Trinity Quarter stalling is a worry. Uniquely for Cork, Navigation Square was started without pre lets and has already announced an anchor client, how and if the rest of that development fills up should be a good indication of demand. If there is a lot of empty space there in Q2 2019 and the second phase is stalled, I'd start to get worried about the overall viability and speed of this Docklands expansion.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The lack of apartments is going to be challenging so hopefully post 2019 some focus begins on developing residential projects

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Yeah, Cork is a loong way off the Dublin shortage/demand; but it will still eventually become a problem.

I guess the purchase of the Elysian makes a lot of sense now, a lot of apartments in a prime location in between the new developments in the West end of the docklands and the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,090 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

marno21 wrote: »
    The lack of apartments is going to be challenging so hopefully post 2019 some focus begins on developing residential projects

It's becoming an issue. Thousands of office spaces for workers coming on stream and little or no residential developments going on in the city or nearby. Setting ourselves up for traffic chaos as people are forced to commute in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's becoming an issue. Thousands of office spaces for workers coming on stream and little or no residential developments going on in the city or nearby. Setting ourselves up for traffic chaos as people are forced to commute in.

The only plus side is these buildings are within walking distance of the train station but still traffic is going to be mayhem is all these buildings are even 1/2 to 3/4 filled.. ideally a park and ride should be developed for those commuting from the M8 side and extend the opening hours of the blackash facility
    But then ideally rarely becomes a reality

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

It’s great to see jobs moving back into the city, it’s better for long term sustainability to have people work and live near the city, with these developments close to both the bus and train stations.

Agree re the apartments, clearly some are badly needed.

I don’t think there’ll be a shortage of takers for office space but older generation space will be vacated, and there might be some decay in the core of the old traditional business district in the short term, along with empty units in the suburban business parks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Thats true for one Clearstream are leaving the airport business park in the 1st half of next year to move into town

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

My company is crying out for office space in city centre! Parking and traffic would be my biggest concerns. I believe the demand is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

A significant amount of the new office space will be leased by companies currently located in the suburbs. The reason they went there was because suitable offices weren't available in the city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

A park and ride on the Little Island/Glounthaune side of the tunnel would be ideal, IMO.

Thats true for one Clearstream are leaving the airport business park in the 1st half of next year to move into town
    There is construction ongoing in the Airport Business Park, the build across from Amazon looks nearly done. There are also big plans for an expansion on the grounds of the old terminal. I'd imagine the demand is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

snotboogie wrote: »
    There is construction ongoing in the Airport Business Park, the build across from Amazon looks nearly done. There are also big plans for an expansion on the grounds of the old terminal. I'd imagine the demand is there.

The road network most certainly is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭spillcoe

The road network most certainly is not.

Agreed - the airport roundabout is a disaster in the morning as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

GavRedKing wrote: »
    A park and ride on the Little Island/Glounthaune side of the tunnel would be ideal, IMO.
    Using the rail line please

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »

We have a train line at these locations, not sure what more people want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

CHealy wrote: »
    We have a train line at these locations, not sure what more people want.

I think they want to get farther into the city, and some joined up thinking for people heading across the city (UCC/CUH) or out towards Mahon.

Something a bit more than walking from train station into town to get the bus to Mahon or sitting in a 205 for longer than it takes to walk to UCC.

deRanged wrote: »
    I think they want to get farther into the city, and some joined up thinking for people heading across the city (UCC/CUH) or out towards Mahon.

Something a bit more than walking from train station into town to get the bus to Mahon or sitting in a 205 for longer than it takes to walk to UCC.

Surely if they are going as far as Little Island for a P&R they would go the extra 5 mins to Mahon? Why would anyone park at Little Island, get a bus to town, and then go all the way back out to Mahon? Traffic isnt that bad at all.

As for the cross town journey to UCC/CUH, I believe there are regular buses to these locations from Kent Station, or they could cycle but I agree this isnt always possible. Cork isnt a big city and Kent station isnt that far out of town. I used the new entrance Wednesday after walking down from Patrick St along passed Jurys and onto Horgans Quay, took about 8 minutes.

CHealy wrote: »
    Surely if they are going as far as Little Island for a P&R they would go the extra 5 mins to Mahon? Why would anyone park at Little Island, get a bus to town, and then go all the way back out to Mahon? Traffic isnt that bad at all.

As for the cross town journey to UCC/CUH, I believe there are regular buses to these locations from Kent Station, or they could cycle but I agree this isnt always possible. Cork isnt a big city and Kent station isnt that far out of town. I used the new entrance Wednesday after walking down from Patrick St along passed Jurys and onto Horgans Quay, took about 8 minutes.

Indeed.

Office space gets built within 5 minutes walk of both the bus and train station and people are talking about traffic. In the medium term we'll see medium-high density homes developed within a short bus/walk/train of this location at Tivoli and the south docklands. I'm rejoicing at the idea of large employers in the city centre instead of clogging up a bypass. This will create demand and sustainability for higher density living in Cork, close to the city centre.

I dream of working in town and ditching the car. Getting jobs done at lunch, every service from dentist to doctor to bank within a 10 minute walk of my desk, Christmas shopping during quiet times at my leisure during the month of December, sneaky pints because it's sunny/raining/Friday/whatever. Sure I might get wet a few times per year but it'd be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Offices, yet more offices and student accom.

Anything coming up for ordinary Joe Schmoes to actually live in? And not just luxury unaffordable apartments?

Anything coming up for ordinary Joe Schmoes to actually live in? And not just luxury unaffordable apartments?

I swear if you built people gold thrones looking over the city they'd still find a way to complain.....................

There must be close to 3,000 homes either under construction or at late stage planning...

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

I would love a train station in the Carrigtwohill IDA. I can see the train pass my office everyday but the station stops a half hour walk from the IDA. Sure a station here would alleviate some of the traffic problems on the main road?

Students in dedicated student accommodation gets them out of houses, and away from those who don't want to hear their parties. Dedicated student accommodation also have 24 hour security, for the benefit of everyone.

'Luxury' apartments provide city centre accommodation for workers who want it. Trust me when I say that our young and sometimes foreign workforce would rather living a modern apartment in the city centre and bus/walk to work than share a tired 3-bed amateur-landlord rental in Frankfield. This indirectly makes more homes available for families, where families want to live.

All beds improve the housing stock, and city centre offices boost the economy, along with demand for city centre living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement