Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions Tour

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Buer wrote: »
    Tuilagi and Marler would be the most likely ones that would come to mind. The coaching staff have already stated that they brought up Tuilagi in their first selection meeting.

Another one (and far more left field) would be George Kruis who is playing rugby, fully fit and was a test Lion on the last tour.

I think the Kruiser’s relative humiliation in the 1st Test where he was bossed physically will count against him. I assume the Zebo references from others are a joke. I can’t see Chris Farrell travelling either.

Keenan has done so well this season he has to be in the mix.

Keith Earls could become one of the few Lions to tour the same place twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I suspect, while they may be considered, in the end few if any players from outside the current international groups will be selected. Anyone hoping for Cooney or Chris Farrell or the likes to be picked will be disappointed I think. Especially with Townsend in the selection group batting for mediocre Scottish players at ever opportunity - Ali Price, Chris Harris, Zander Fagerson and the likes. The limited squad size will also work against less versatile players, especially in the back line. Keenan for example has done well but it's hard to see him travelling unless there are drop outs in his position.

The shouting for Chris Harris from the Scots seems to be down to the fact he can ... tackle. That's about it.
    Its literally the one thing you'd be assured any center selected for the Lions can do.

A strange bunch, the Scots.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

razorblunt wrote: »
    The shouting for Chris Harris from the Scots seems to be down to the fact he can ... tackle. That's about it.
    Its literally the one thing you'd be assured any center selected for the Lions can do.

A strange bunch, the Scots.

The head and defence coaches for Scotland are the attack and defence coach for the Lions. Harris is definitely going to be discussed. There's no stand out option at 13 at all for the Lions. Davies played at 12 for the 6N. North is a winger filling in there. Slade is good but not great. Ringrose's form waned and then he shipped an injury.

I'd imagine we're looking at JD or Henshaw in the 13 jersey as it stands unless Tuilagi proves his fitness in the next 2-3 weeks and they might bring him even if he doesn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

The 1971 Lions captain John Dawes passed away earlier today.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/apr/16/john-dawes-wales-and-british-irish-lions-legend-dies-aged-80

A fine player, coach & ambassador for rugby.

Attended a few coaching clinics run by Dawes for the local schools back in the late seventies ..... a guy who could teach a lot of modern players how to hold, run with & pass the egg ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Ian McGeechan has named his Lions squad... 8 Irish players... but only Henshaw & Murray in the backs..I'd worry that he's fairly on the money there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭redmca2

Ian McGeechan has named his Lions squad... 8 Irish players... but only Henshaw & Murray in the backs..I'd worry that he's fairly on the money there.

That was on March 29

redmca2 wrote: »
    That was on March 29

Has he changed his mind?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Has he changed his mind?

He may well do before the squad is announced, as they're will have been more games played ;)

sydthebeat wrote: »
    He may well do before the squad is announced, as they're will have been more games played ;)

Not buying that...he's well aware of Sexton and Earls capabilities.
    He's seen enough of Ringrose & Keenan to know what they're about...
    Another game won't change his mind ..

Not buying that...he's well aware of Sexton and Earls capabilities.
    He's seen enough of Ringrose & Keenan to know what they're about...
    Another game won't change his mind ..

Hi Ian :D

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Hi Ian :D

No I just get a little twitchy when I see someone who's steeped in the Lions...and most likely converses with coaches still....he may not have an inside track... but he might know how some are thinking is all I'm getting at

"Gatland picks all Leinster backrow for Lions"
    could next week's headlines for all I know

No I just get a little twitchy when I see someone who's steeped in the Lions...and most likely converses with coaches still....he may not have an inside track... but he might know how some are thinking is all I'm getting at

"Gatland picks all Leinster backrow for Lions"
    could next week's headlines for all I know

He gave his suggested squad when the coaching ticket wasn't even selected.
    With Scottish attack and defense coaches, and Welsh scrum and kicking coaches... It will be harder to get Irish players in without an advocate in the room

I can guarantee there will have been changes even in gatlands head between march 29th and the announcement on May 6th.

There been a change in the test series games...it's now Cape Town for the first test.
    And then the rest in Jo'burg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

That’s a kick in the testicles for those that are still hanging onto the hope of travelling and have booked solo trips or the tour operators.

Not that I expect anyone able to travel. But they seem reluctant to call it officially.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Boscoirl wrote: »
    That’s a kick in the testicles for those that are still hanging onto the hope of travelling and have booked solo trips or the tour operators.

Not that I expect anyone able to travel. But they seem reluctant to call it officially.

A group of us that were there in 09 have given up hope of going. There's even a savings pot for it but we don't want to go now even if we could. Way too much hassle traveling and any craic would be gone.

There been a change in the test series games...it's now Cape Town for the first test.
    And then the rest in Jo'burg

Hi,

Is that confirmed?

Many thanks,

Louis

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Does anyone really still think they'll be travelling?

Agree its **** they havnt just said there will be no crowds.

Hi,

Is that confirmed?

Many thanks,

Louis

Hope the source is not rugbypass - clickbait central.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Does anyone really still think they'll be travelling?

Agree its **** they havnt just said there will be no crowds.

Probably not but one of the options we were given for our tour was to wait and see. Haven’t heard of any changes since. We went with the refund

Probably not but one of the options we were given for our tour was to wait and see. Haven’t heard of any changes since. We went with the refund

Glad you got sorted, the tour companies won't be encouraging you to cancel on the off-chance it might still happen.

Ya man from Rugby Travel Ireland wouldn't be the most ethical guy around (for example).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zambrotta11

Has anyone tickets for the game in Murrayfield? What’s the chance of that going ahead? And if they do go ahead will there be fans?

Has anyone tickets for the game in Murrayfield? What’s the chance of that going ahead? And if they do go ahead will there be fans?

I do.
    But no word yet as to crowds etc

Yeah, me too. The UK should be fully open at that stage so I reckon so.

If we’re allowed to go, it’ll probably involve quarantine at home (at a minimum).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Yeah, me too. The UK should be fully open at that stage so I reckon so.

If we’re allowed to go, it’ll probably involve quarantine at home (at a minimum).

UK wont be fully open in terms of live events and crowds at them. but will likely be some people at game

UK wont be fully open in terms of live events and crowds at them. but will likely be some people at game

The UK’s Covid plan provides for full stadiums from 21 June.

The Lions are playing Japan on 26 June.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

George North out with an acl injury, might give Ringrose a better chance of touring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Lions centre choices are looking a bit light

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Lions centre choices are looking a bit light

maybe bundee could go and complete the trifecta - getting sent off in the 6N, RWC and a Lions Test

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The odds suggest Ringrose will be the beneficiary of this injury but I'm not sure he fits. Gatland loves his big centres and I think Tuilagi will have a great chance if he can prove his fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

The odds suggest Ringrose will be the beneficiary of this injury but I'm not sure he fits. Gatland loves his big centres and I think Tuilagi will have a great chance if he can prove his fitness.

i fear you may be right but i really hope not, one of the most overrated players of recent times unfortunately. fantastic on his day but those days come about once in a blue moon in reality

Advertisement