Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions Tour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,038 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The ones living in the UK will possibly have been vaccinated by then anyway as part of their roll out.

Easily I would say, I know several people who already got the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

I'm surprised but pleased. A UK (and possibly Ireland) "tour" is not a proper Lions tour.

Doubt they'll even have home spectators but there is no guarantee for any in the UK either.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,799 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wasant expecting it to stay in place in South Africa but no doubt the squad/management/staff etc will be protected to the gills.

Looking forward to it esp with the good time difference

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Wasant expecting it to stay in place in South Africa but no doubt the squad/management/staff etc will be protected to the gills.

Looking forward to it esp with the good time difference

Wouldn't be surprised if players take themselves out of contention. Its a very long bubble to be in, especially when restrictions are likely to be lifted in their home countries.

• Administrators Posts: 53,373 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

AdamD wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if players take themselves out of contention. Its a very long bubble to be in, especially when restrictions are likely to be lifted in their home countries.

They get paid a fortune for being selected!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

awec wrote: »
    They get paid a fortune for being selected!

I can see the likes of Joe Marler turning down a call up though, considering he walked away from international rugby previously due to not being able to spend time with family

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I don't think it would be a very enjoyable tour for the players at all. They will be stuck in their bubble for 6 or 7 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Boscoirl wrote: »
    The UK based players would be vaccinated by then anyway I would imagine, no harm to let them vaccinate our players too for us, save a few doses for use here

Surely Sexton is due to be vaccinated this month anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It's official now. They tour is to go ahead as per the original schedule. https://www.lionsrugby.com/2021/03/23/lions-rugby-2021-tour-update

They are off their rocker.
    There will be no spectators at any of those games.
    No point in playing it behind closed doors.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Playing behind closed doors means they can meet commercial obligations though. Its a business at the end of the day and that means more than postponing in the hope supporters can be accommodated.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,373 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They'll take a hit not being able to sell tickets and the wider economy won't get the boost from the incoming tourists, but I believe a big chunk of the income comes via sponsorship and then you have tv rights, so they must think they can still make it profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Didn't australia offer to host it with fans and give the gate money to south africa . It won't be much good to SA if fans can't go and pump millions into their economy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This is hopefully the lowest point ever for the Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

This is hopefully the lowest point ever for the Lions.

Lower even than calling up John Hayes? Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

Playing behind closed doors means they can meet commercial obligations though. Its a business at the end of the day and that means more than postponing in the hope supporters can be accommodated.

Unfortunately it became just a money making exercise a good few years ago.
    Nothing to do with Rugby just a cash grab.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Lower even than calling up John Hayes? Jesus.

Tyrone Howe says “take my coat”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Tom Court days "hold my beer"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Shane Williams says hold my headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

GreeBo wrote: »
    Is Itoje nailed on for a place?
    He is on everyones list, but with 12 penalties to his name, at what point is he a liability?
    Fair point, the Saracens situation and lack of match sharpness a concern too, suppose its based on alot of credit in the bank for Itoje along with necessity of physicality against the springboks.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭redmca2

No offense to Tyrone Howe who was a good player but his call up was at the expense of Denis Hickie, who was a far better winger, and for that reason it was a travesty

• Advertisement

Fair point, the Saracens situation and lack of match sharpness a concern too, suppose its based on alot of credit in the bank for Itoje along with necessity of physicality against the springboks.

Especially when the lads can kick penalties from 60M...

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

The 6N got much better viewing as time went on despite no crowds, mainly due to the quality gradually increasing. Hopefully we can say the same for the Lions - the SA boys will be mostly very rusty. All I hope is that the last game is not a dead rubber.

Which makes me think, presumably they will go back to the 3 game format?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Especially when the lads can kick penalties from 60M...

Itoje is the best forward in the northern hemisphere by a long shot, a few subpar performances don’t change that. Bailed on starter at 5 or 6, will be in the leadership group of the tour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Itoje will travel.. but if he remains a pen machine he can't be guaranteed a starting spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Sports bodies is SA are petitioning the government to allow 50% crowds at upcoming sporting events over the summer.....
    Could lead to up to 47,000 fans at the first Lion's test if approved

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Itoje is the best forward in the northern hemisphere by a long shot, a few subpar performances don’t change that. Bailed on starter at 5 or 6, will be in the leadership group of the tour

He has to play pretty well to offset nearly 3 a game he averaged in the six nations!
    Stick Mako in with him and thats a lot of potential points you have to make up.

I dont think anyone is arguing that he is an excellent player, but its a side of his game he needs to address. he lived on the line long enough and now is getting pinged for it, it remains to be seen if he can still produce the great performances if he is actually reffed, so far I would say the jury is still out?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,028 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i think a lot of his below par performances is down to rustiness... same as most of the sarries based players.

hes a guy who lives on the edge and is a complete pain at the breakdown

I was delighted to see him get pinged for an offside on a box kick chase down against us... but thats prime example of the rustiness in his game this season.

the one player who may find himself completely out of the english panel for giving away mindlessly stupid penalties is Jonny Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

He has to play pretty well to offset nearly 3 a game he averaged in the six nations!
    Stick Mako in with him and thats a lot of potential points you have to make up.

I dont think anyone is arguing that he is an excellent player, but its a side of his game he needs to address. he lived on the line long enough and now is getting pinged for it, it remains to be seen if he can still produce the great performances if he is actually reffed, so far I would say the jury is still out?

IItoje plays the ref much as the other team similarly to mccaw. Some refs are more lenient than others.: For me itoje is at a level that no other second row can get to, he shuts down teams attack almost by himself alone & terrorises scrum halves. If you were to tell me he’ll give away 3 penalties a game I’d frankly take it for what comes with it. Imo it will be awj Ryan & itoje at 6 or awj itoje with Beirne/lawes at 6

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭jacothelad

IItoje plays the ref much as the other team similarly to mccaw. Some refs are more liniment than others.:

Yes, you can rub them up the wrong way....:D

• Advertisement

IItoje plays the ref much as the other team similarly to mccaw. Some refs are more liniment than others.: For me itoje is at a level that no other second row can get to, he shuts down teams attack almost by himself alone & terrorises scrum halves. If you were to tell me he’ll give away 3 penalties a game I’d frankly take it for what comes with it. Imo it will be awj Ryan & itoje at 6 or awj itoje with Beirne/lawes at 6

oh I agree, he is great at disrupting the breakdown, but he's no Earls either :P

Advertisement