Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions Tour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

After this weekend it seems like a lot of potential Lions won't have a lot of competitive rugby to play between now and the tour. Wonder if it will impact selection. On form the majority of the squad will likely come from Pro 14 teams but they've been poor this weekend and the likes of Munster, Edinburgh, Scarlets etc are all out of Europe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The Saracens players will be playing in the Championship, but a few of them will still be travelling. As long as the Celtic players keep ticking over in the Rainbow Cup they'll be fine.

The Saracens players will be playing in the Championship, but a few of them will still be travelling. As long as the Celtic players keep ticking over in the Rainbow Cup they'll be fine.

Yes, none of it seems ideal to be honest. I'd say Gatty would have been hoping for better from the Pro14 sides this weekend. Then again, the less competitive nature of the competitions might reduce injuries ahead of the tour. And the Saffers are in the same situation so probably not a major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That was a horror show for the Scarlets players.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

A coin collection FFS, is there anything they won't license...

https://absoluterugby.co.uk/collections/official-british-irish-lions-accessories-gifts/products/copy-of-british-irish-lions-iconic-captains-album?goal=0_2194b9e9d7-ca0d85ce94-52859845&mc_cid=ca0d85ce94&mc_eid=62b5218db0[/QUOTE

Got to keep the cash flowing.

Money
    Get away
    You get a good job with good pay and you're okay
    Money
    It's a gas
    Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
    New car, caviar, four star daydream
    Think I'll buy me a football team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Major withdrawals from the Lions coaching party...seems to have slipped right under the radar?
    "Gatland had hoped to have Andy Farrell, the Ireland head coach, Steve Borthwick, the Leicester Tigers head coach, and Graham Rowntree, the Munster forwards coach, on his staff for the tour to South Africa" all have withdrawn

• Subscribers Posts: 41,024 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Link?

Good to hear that the Irish tour seems to be going ahead and Andy is prioritising it over the lions.

I suppose with covid bubbles etc there will be a lot more than just coaches pulling out.

I wonder will gatland change tact this year and contact the players pre announcement to ensure they are willing to travel??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There's usually some contact between the Lions and any potential players before the squad announced. They check are the players available and their suit size.

After this weekend it seems like a lot of potential Lions won't have a lot of competitive rugby to play between now and the tour. Wonder if it will impact selection. On form the majority of the squad will likely come from Pro 14 teams but they've been poor this weekend and the likes of Munster, Edinburgh, Scarlets etc are all out of Europe.

This could potentially be an issue again with the Rainbow cup in doubt. Obviously SA similarly affected, but potentially a benefit now to being with a team that is still in European competition like Leinster or Ulster than one that has been out for a while like Munster, Scarlets or Edinburgh.

Could run a quick round of interpros instead but something like that is unlikely to have much intensity with little of substance to play for - Leinster and Ulster will be focussed on Europe, Munster and Connacht will just be winding down really other than those aiming for a Lions jersey or a spot in the summer tour squad maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Townsend and Tandy both rumoured to be involved in the management team. Can see Scottish numbers increasing if that’s the case with all 50/50 calls involving Scottish players now going there way.

Robin MacBryde will be the only Irish coaching connection on the Lions touring party.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Any love lost for the Lions?

I don't really look forward to it as much as I did 12/16 years ago.

Southern Hemisphere teams were traditionally far far better than Northern Hemisphere teams and pooling players from 4 teams together to try and win was a leveller.

I just don't see how we get to pick to best players from 4 teams and beat a country and think of it as an achievement? The lions players know each other inside out playing each other often in the 6N and HCC and Pro14.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Any love lost for the Lions?

I don't really look forward to it as much as I did 12/16 years ago.

Southern Hemisphere teams were traditionally far far better than Northern Hemisphere teams and pooling players from 4 teams together to try and win was a leveller.

I just don't see how we get to pick to best players from 4 teams and beat a country and think of it as an achievement? The lions players know each other inside out playing each other often in the 6N and HCC and Pro14.

lions record since 2000

win 1
    draw 1
    loss 4

if a series win is not much of an achievement, why is it so hard to obtain ?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    lions record since 2000

win 1
    draw 1
    loss 4

if a series win is not much of an achievement, why is it so hard to obtain ?

Because money.

The Lions in 2017 played 6 games in 17 days before the first test. This is on top of very long seasons with 6N and Champions Cups. Players are not robots. It's a tighter schedule than a football world cup that is not as physically demanding.

If you had Ireland or England play v the cream of NZ, SA and AUS, would you see them winning as an achievement?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Because money.

The Lions in 2017 played 6 games in 17 days before the first test. This is on top of very long seasons with 6N and Champions Cups. Players are not robots. It's a tighter schedule than a football world cup that is not as physically demanding.

If you had Ireland or England play v the cream of NZ, SA and AUS, would you see them winning as an achievement?

Your middle paragraph utterly undermines your point. You've just told us exactly why it's a big ask to win a tour so you've answered your own question.

But here's the great thing about it... You don't have to watch it. You don't have to get into it. You don't have to post on social media about how you're not interested cos of how sh1t it is. Job done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Certainly less so largely because historically, the SH teams have been superior. SH teams have won 8 RWC's while the NH only has 1.

Your middle paragraph utterly undermines your point. You've just told us exactly why it's a big ask to win a tour so you've answered your own question.

But here's the great thing about it... You don't have to watch it. You don't have to get into it. You don't have to post on social media about how you're not interested cos of how sh1t it is. Job done.

It's not really a level playing field if one team has to be fatigued and carrying injuries to have a chance of a contest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Because money.

Very few players would play all those 6 games though. It's pretty much a given that there will be weekend players and midweek players.
    You could scrap the midweek games and artificially make the schedule look easier, but I doubt anyone wants that. A midweek game for the lesser lights in a provincial ground is part of the charm.

And the comparison with soccer world cup schedule - The teams drawn in the groups last to commence (usually group G & H) will generally play 6 games in 21/22 days if they reach the semi-final. But crucially many of the players will have played all 6 games, so it's not really that easier a schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

As much as I want to see Irish players achieve lions caps, for their own careers, I am probably happier if I see less going, since there is bound to be covid incidents on a tour like that in south africa in the middle of covid. Even if they manage through it, it's going to be a stressfull time.

Could be a few players going who are at their careers end.. CJ .. Toner maybe? Could be a few more in the UK who could take 6-8 spots.... players who their sides don't need back for the seasons start.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭redmca2

I understand Gatland will select his squad shortly.
    It's a pity that the only "Lions eligible" club still playing in the Champions Cup won't get 1 more chance to show the merits of Kelleher, Keenan, VDF (especially) and many others

• Registered Users Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭Buer

redmca2 wrote: »
    I understand Gatland will select his squad shortly.
    It's a pity that the only "Lions eligible" club still playing in the Champions Cup won't get 1 more chance to show the merits of Kelleher, Keenan, VDF (especially) and many others

The squad isn't being selected until after the semi finals of the Champions Cup.

Buer wrote: »
    The squad isn't being selected until after the semi finals of the Champions Cup.

Delighted to be corrected !! :)

All players being considered will be receiving letters around now, notifying them to be ready should they be selected

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

sydthebeat wrote: »
    All players being considered will be receiving letters around now, notifying them to be ready should they be selected
    I didnt know this was a thing.

Buer wrote: »

Delighted to be corrected !! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

damianmcr wrote: »
    I didnt know this was a thing.
    AFAIK the 'possibles' also usually get measured for suits around the same time they're told they're on the long list. Although I don't know how that would work this time.

Advertisement