Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How's you're Yearly goals coming along???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

jive wrote: »
    Assuming commuting every day you’d be getting roughly 46*5*2 or 460 rides in a year.

serious commute, especially with all the elevation:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

jive wrote: »
    Assuming commuting every day you’d be getting roughly 46*5*2 or 460 rides in a year.

Yep - I'm at 523 rides YTD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I hadn't really set myself a target for this year but I am on 4,457km so far. I'd like to get myself to 5,000km but not sure how much I'll get in between now and the end of the year.

I'm going to set myself a 6k target for next year though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Not going to hit my 10,000kms this year unfortuntaly but I haven't had a cycle commute at all this year so 7000 odd still feels fairly respectable. Still going to try for the 100.000m of climbing tho, about 8500m shy of it at the moment, might just concentrate on that rather than distance now for the next two or three weeks, if the weather stays ok I don't see what not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

back on 12th Jan...
    andy69 wrote: »
    Big one for me this year:

Geneva-Nice (Route des Grande Alpes) in August :eek:

So of course that means a couple of training camps to get the body tuned up and ready for a 7 or 8 days-in-a-row block of riding like that...
    - Training Camp in Malaga in March
    - Training Camp in Calpe in June

Shedload of sportives here too (Orwell Randonnee, Mt.Leinster, Mick Byrne, Tour de KK to name but a few!)
    There, I've said it now..no going back :D

Done, done, aaaaaand done!

Broke through the 10,000km mark there last week. Clocked (climbed) up over 85,500m of elevation in the process. Happy out!

Gonna take it back a notch for next year and train with the missus to get her up a level and do the 'biggies' (Mt.Leinster/Orwell/Mick Byrne). Week in Spain already booked :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Reached my goal of 20,000kms today. :)

(I also had an elevation goal of 150,000m which I passed a couple of months ago).

TIGESWEh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Right that's it, I'm not playing this game anymore ....
    Serious kudos btw.

Brilliant - well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

(I also had an elevation goal of 150,000m which I passed a couple of months ago).

33 1/2 full days on the bike, so allowing for 12 hours off per day between sleeping and eating etc that's over 2 months of daytime that you spent on the bike :eek::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

“The gross and net result of it is that people who spent most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles...when a man lets things go so far that he is more than half a bicycle, you will not see him so much because he spends a lot of his time leaning with one elbow on walls or standing propped by one foot at kerbstones.”
    ― Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

My total for the year so far is 15,142kms, compared to 15,102 kms for last year.
    No commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Got back on the bike today after 7 weeks off it with back issues. Took it handy just to get the relevant muscles working again. Had several false dawns including burying the mother yesterday but finally got out which was liberating in more ways than one. Won't get to 4,000km but hey ho, there's always 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Wasn't looking good at the beginning of the month but, thanks to quite a few club spins, I've just 240km to go to hit the 10,000 target for the third year in a row. Hopefully the weather will cooperate next week and my current puncture jinx will come to an end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭secman

secman wrote: »
    Hit the 6,000 km target at the weekend, happy days, no commuting km. Hopefully will hit 7,000 km for the year.

Eventually broke through the 7k barrier this morning, a bit of twinge in the back since yesterday, hopefully okay to attempt Rapha 500 to hit 7500 for the year , fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Made it through the 5,000 outdoor kilometer mark on Christmas Eve.

Thought about the Festive 500, but when I was saying I'd reached my target for the year I got an only slightly tongue in cheek "good, you don't have to go out on the bike until next year then" from swmbo :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Ended October needing 600km to hit 6000km, spent pretty much all of November sick, only managing a couple of spins, December was busy with Christmas stuff and now I've a rotten sore throat. Still 212 short of the goal and it aint gonna happen. Ah well.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Made it through the 5,000 outdoor kilometer mark on Christmas Eve.

Thought about the Festive 500, but when I was saying I'd reached my target for the year I got an only slightly tongue in cheek "good, you don't have to go out on the bike until next year then" from swmbo :eek::D

Am I the only one who finds that festive 500 really annoying?
    I'm no fan of raphe at the best of times, but I think Christmas is a time for family and sitting back and chilling out and enjoying the time off, not spending 20hrs of a week indulging in what is for most of us just a hobby, neglecting those around us. Lets face it, they are a lot of people who are addicted on cycling, I've tried myself to strike a much better balance this year, and that addiction causes issues in relationships etc. I'm not comfortable with the idea of a company encouraging people to spend 20+ hours a week away from their family on what is probably the most important family time of the year.
    Just my opinion.
    500km in any week is seriously tough, let alone this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

Not my goal yesterday- 4500km so delighted as the 2nd year in a row to make it to the goal.

No improvement on last year in km but feeling stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Had a 10, 000k goal but two injuries out paid to that unfortunately. I will have somehow managed to scrape to 7,500 by year end which I'm pretty pleased with.

Roll on an injury free 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭Macy0161

terrydel wrote: »
    I'm just jealous more than annoyed! :D

One of my unwritten goals was to try to fit my training in more around family life. They lived with it through my (even more) obsessive weight loss period, I kinda felt everything and not just my weight had to go back into maintenance...

• Advertisement

Terry you're just grumpy from being under the weather, I'm managing to spend lots of time with family and do the Rapha, early morning spins while they are tucked away in bed , happy New year to you and family.

Terry you're just grumpy from being under the weather, I'm managing to spend lots of time with family and do the Rapha, early morning spins while they are tucked away in bed , happy New year to you and family.

Haha, I got Mr grumpy underwear fir Christmas so you might be right!
    Happy new year to you and yours too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Was all set to hit 10,000 then injury and seasonal depression happened. Will end up with a shade over 7,000 in the bank. My biggest annual total but yet I still feel disappointed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Scraped through the ten thousand kilometer mark yesterday but considerably down compared to previous years.
    I am not doing as many long distance commutes as before,am doing more and more gravel/boreen/back of beyond cycles and have substituted some rides for very long walks instead,still very happy with what I’ve accomplished though.

Here’s to a great 2019 and a HNY to everyone on this forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Gerry

Very happy with the year on balance. Didn't do many long road spins and had a few spills from MTB which set me back a bit. Still, enjoyed the mb200 and the 3 enduros. Didn't put many km in until I changed jobs and started commuting again, total was 4272km and 42799m climbing, and a decent improvement on fitness year on year. Happy new year all.

9 stitches total this year, 7 planned or 'elective' and 2 from a cut. Strava tells me I did 3011km . Glad that wasn't 2997km or there bouts or I'd have walked the bike to get to 3k :D

Did at least 700km in the middle of the night after feeding the baby on a 4km loop I did 4 or 5 times a go when it made no sense to go back to bed and I just got in the habit of leaving the gear and bike ready and then the school run with the eldest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Smashed all of them apart from the weight loss one. Got most of that and then hit the Xmas hols and beers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

I'm 1,123km short of my goal of 6,000km. I injured my hamstring after the Reservoir Dog in Sept and spent the last four months trying to fix that. I'm on the mend, and will be back regularly on the bike soon, but I was pretty disappointed to not hit that goal. I did 5,000km in a 017 and was definitely on course to hit 6 this year until mother nature intervened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

4,187k for the year, well short of what i was aiming for.
    A combination of a new job with a shorter commute and doing very little after a 2 week holiday at the end of august killed any hope i had

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

100,287 metres of climbing for the year with a day to spare, pretty happy with that. Though still well over 2k shy of my 10k distance goal but considering spent all of January still recovering from surgery and most of August and all of September hiking in India I'm happy with that too. Great year of cycling, snow, sun, torrential rain, you name it, it had everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

6zvl6o.png

Made it with a day to spare! Almost identical to 2016 although club rides (60) now make up a greater proportion of the total. Happy to get to 10k again (while managing to stay married) with many great memories and photos of the cycling year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.....Happy to get to 10k again (while managing to stay married)....
    It's the secret to a good marriage! ;)

Finished the Rapha challenge today which edged me just over 7,500 km for the year. My goal was 6,000km but only got going mid Feb due to back issues which started early Dec 17 which resulted in missing 6k km target in 2017 by 95km.

Happy out today.

Finished the Rapha challenge today which edged me just over 7,500 km for the year. My goal was 6,000km but only got going mid Feb due to back issues which started early Dec 17 which resulted in missing 6k km target in 2017 by 95km.

Happy out today.

Fair play to ya! Even if it is rapha :pac::D
    10k next year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

final cycle of the year this morning. happy enough with that total, had been aiming for 5k:

469191.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

py wrote: »
    Aiming for 4-5k for the year with hopefully 50,000m of climbing most of which will probably be on Zwift, here we come Tron bike :D Bit of work to hit the climbing goal but distance should be no bother.

Reduced body mass by about 14Kg with another 9Kg to hit my goal for the year and well on target for that, just need to keep eating well.

Hit my annual distance goals without issue, didn't hit the weight target but will keep on tapping away at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

A good year on the bike for me, happy out, finished up with 12700km and 89K meters of elevation.

Highlights would have been my first ever race win (only a little league race but they all count) a 625km charity spin over 2 days and completing the national 24hr TT with 614km, a tough day in the saddle that but a great experience.

Looks like I'll have a bit of a change of emphasis for next year but that's for another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

nilhg wrote: »
    A good year on the bike for me, happy out, finished up with 12700km and 89K meters of elevation.

Highlights would have been my first ever race win (only a little league race but they all count) a 625km charity spin over 2 days and completing the national 24hr TT with 614km, a tough day in the saddle that but a great experience.

Looks like I'll have a bit of a change of emphasis for next year but that's for another thread.

Did you get the Festive 500 done ??

Best year so far ...
    14,945kms / 193,914mts / 651 hours / on the bike on 354 days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I didn’t set any goals and it was probably for the best. I’ve only spent 4 months on the bike due to a longish illness, arrive of baby and laziness. I plan to make up for it next year though as it’s no fun spending 1.5 hours in traffic just to go 6km!

The sad thing about the attached stats is that many of the ‘rides’ were 1-2km on Dublin bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Happy out with my best year ever also !

10042 kms and 72002m climbing from 126 rides over 353 hours

Can safely say I enjoyed pretty much every minute of those 353 hours !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

jrar wrote: »
    Did you get the Festive 500 done ??

Yeah, finished with 530 yesterday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

9k for the year, wasn't a goal but not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

100 total times up Kilmashouge by year end. So that would be 50 more in just over 3 months(October- December)compared to the previous 50 in 4 years.
    I've done 3 since then so 47 more left.

Just under 7000 for year which is my worst year of cycling since i began.
    I missed all of January and February and then all of November.
    By the end of March i had just 400 kms.

Mid year was going good and finished the evil but the i got some knee issues which had me worried for a while.

My attempt at 100 times up Kilmashouge was going well.
    At the end of October i had 70 done so that meant only 30 left over 2 months but then my Father passed away and then i got sick so the last 2 months have been pretty pathetic on the bike.

New year should be better as i've all my bikes in working order and i had a bike fit recently so no injuries either.

https://veloviewer.com/infographic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

No goals for the year, but managed 3,457km (no commuting).

PS: This morning, the two Dublin southside bike counters on the Rock Road at Booterstown and on the N11 at UCD were reading 265,969 and 212,469 respectively (totals for the year, which presumably will reset tonight).

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Didn't make the 5,000, only about 3,500 due to work & ear/throat infections, but had a great first year cycling (got the bike early Jan) Really enjoyed it. Managed to do a few sportifs. Still, next year will be chasing that 5,000..Have a great new year all...

Ended October needing 600km to hit 6000km, spent pretty much all of November sick, only managing a couple of spins, December was busy with Christmas stuff and now I've a rotten sore throat. Still 212 short of the goal and it aint gonna happen. Ah well.

Two other goals of mine were the etape and to do the wicklow gap from laragh section in under 20 mins, managed the former, and the latter came at the wicklow 200, doing it in 19:54.
    Next year I'd like to get under 19:00, but it'll be tough!

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

6443 km.

Originally planned for 10000, but flu and a crash saw me revise it to 7500. All was going well, but got few too many colds, and had another crash while my enthusiasm waned a lot, probably a bit sick of my own company and need to head out with someone the oddtime this year.

Smashed my time up lovers leap lane enroute to telling my partner's mother that I planned on proposing to her (it was a 160km race against the clock as I had to get there and back without her knowing as she was driving down). Something very pleasing about that, as it ruined me the last time I tried it.

2019 is about enjoying it again as much possible, whatever the weather, just get out and do something. Also more time in Wicklow. If I could cut the first 15-20kms of my cycle out, (and then too the last as well) I'd enjoy them much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Stats for the year - Chuffed to get over the 11k mark for the first time - bit annoyed at 500 short for 75k Climbing

Activity count:

Total dist:
    11,048 km

Total elev:
    74,534 m

Total time:
    486:16:49

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Only 5 hours left until I'll be briefly on track for my yearly goals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement