Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We should save it for the All Ireland final 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭The_Dave

The new jersey - bit meh

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

The goalie one is awful , the club names look out of place

The regular one just ok, last years is hard to match

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

benji79 wrote: »

I like it. The goalie jersey would look a lot better with black or white under-armour sleeves under it. I'd certainly be happy to wear it if the footballers ever needed me to fill in between the sticks!

benji79 wrote: »

I think they will look fine from a distance but not sure I would wear one.

Also I was sure they would have Adare Manor on them this year and was also sure we had more than 65 clubs

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    ... also sure we had more than 65 clubs
    Limerick GAA describe it as incorporating the "names of the 65 affiliated clubs within the county"

The_Dave wrote: »
    Limerick GAA describe it as incorporating the "names of the 65 affiliated clubs within the county"

I thought our club numbers were up in the 80s

I thought our club numbers were up in the 80s
    Per SportsJoe 6 years ago we had 101, maybe the word affiliated affects this, perhaps the 101 includes clubs that come together to compete as one team

I think there's about 70 listed (with the amalgamations) here, not sure how old this is

The_Dave wrote: »
    Per SportsJoe 6 years ago we had 101, maybe the word affiliated affects this, perhaps the 101 includes clubs that come together to compete as one team

I have seen sites get the numbers wrong by just counting names which leads to clubs being counted twice if they complete underage as whatever gaels or amalgamate for one of the codes

• Advertisement

I have seen sites get the numbers wrong by just counting names which leads to clubs being counted twice if they complete underage as whatever gaels or amalgamate for one of the codes
    65 names listed here

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Are the names of tbe clubs in Irish? I think they are ..abit silly really. The English names aren't a relation to tbe Irish translation for some clubs anyway. The Jersey is average enough..

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Are the names of tbe clubs in Irish? I think they are ..abit silly really. The English names aren't a relation to tbe Irish translation for some clubs anyway. The Jersey is average enough..
    Ya, they're the Irish version of their names

Silly how ?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Silly how ?

Silly in that most people, the big majority don't speak Irish. I won't be able to make out most of the clubs. The All Ireland programme had the Limericks teams players clubs in Irish but Waterfords in English. There's some gaeilgoiri floating around Limerick GAA with his sandals on and Che Guevara t shirt making these silly decisions while the rest of us have a jersey with writing on it that no one understands.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Silly in that most people, the big majority don't speak Irish. I won't be able to make out most of the clubs. The All Ireland programme had the Limericks teams players clubs in Irish but Waterfords in English. There's some gaeilgoiri floating around Limerick GAA with his sandals on and Che Guevara t shirt making these silly decisions while the rest of us have a jersey with writing on it that no one understands.

Ah yes, the notoriously indecipherable Na Piarsaigh, Rath Caola, Cnoc Áine, Áth Dara, Greanach Baile an Gharraí and Feadamair. No way a Limerick fan would ever recognise those. :rolleyes:

Jeysus would you go away. We all know our clubs are on their and I'm sure we all at least know the Irish for our own team. I'm a Na Piarsaigh man and despite knowing F all Irish I can at least recognize the Irish for Na Piarsaigh when I see it on the jersey

I can at least recognize the Irish for Na Piarsaigh when I see it on the jersey
    :D:D:D

Ah here, there isn't a Limerick person with a passing interest in Limerick GAA who wouldn't recognise the bigger clubs by their Irish name and they will also definitely know the name for their own club in Irish. It's a pretty slight thing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

There's some gaeilgoiri floating around Limerick GAA with his sandals on and Che Guevara t shirt making these silly decisions while the rest of us have a jersey with writing on it that no one understands.

Bill you have the best turn of phrase on here.

Brilliant stuff

• Advertisement

Bill you have the best turn of phrase on here.

Brilliant stuff

Maybe we should have Che on the shirt seeing as the world famous image was created by a Limerick man

Limerick v Waterford in the football followed by Cork in the semi if we win

Hurlers are straight through to a semi against Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭billyhead

Limerick v Waterford in the football followed by Cork in the semi if we win

Hurlers are straight through to a semi against Cork

Cork are always a tough team to beat especially now with the harder ground.

Cork seem to be a bit of a bogey team for us lately

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Only 1 week to go to the first league game, great to see. With a truncated season the league will be treated as a warm up, don't think there will be much opportunity to experiment so id say the usual 22 will be given game time. Good to see Barry Murphy back, could a game breaking sub for us this year. Will be interesting to see the full back line, i think Dan should definately be left FB this year, straight shoot out between Nash and English for the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Yeah great to see the season starting at last. There's a real hunger for games. Hard to see too many changes in the starting 15 especially with Mike Casey probably not fit to challenge Dan Morrissey yet for the number 3. I cant see English unseating Nash although I do think Nash has yet to be really tested in a game where the opposition puts regular ball into his corner. English is the tighter marker but Nash's ball playing ability and frees are top class.
    Be great to see the recent record against Tipperary kept up. They ll be waiting in the long grass this year and they ll be very hard to beat come championship especially if they get a boost by beating Limerick in the league. Id like to see Cathal O Neill get a game and I'd start Pat Ryan in a few league games just to see if he's capable of getting a few goals. In my opinion there's no natural goal scorer in the team.that started the All Ireland . Gillane and Flangan can score goals but its not the first thing on their minds. I think Casey and Ryan have that natural goal threat and maybe goals will be needed this year . Peter Casey is obviously ahead of Mulcahy at the moment to start but I would say that 2nd corner spot is a shoot out between Casey ,Mul and Pat Ryan.
    Finally the only halfback spot where abit of experimenting could happen is centre back. Hannon is durable but at the moment there's no natural replacement. Kyle Hayes is a different type of player completely in that he surges forward and is destructive where Hannon is more of a sitter and link man..how about trying Nash out there for one game. He was good when he came on against Kilkenny there in 2019.( O loughlin deserves a start there too if hes still in the squad.)Management could be criticised for not taking Hannon off earlier in that Kilkenny game. He wasn't fit.
    The Cork draw in my view is exactly what this Limerick team need. They ll be hearing how Cork are well able for them and their 'style' will upset Limerick again. They ll have plenty of motivation. I could see Limerick exploding out of the traps in that game. Cork are dangerous but a young Cork team could be unsettled if Limerick start fast. Cork have good young fellas so definitely if it was close coming to the last 15mins I'd be concerned. Still it's a good draw. Avoiding a quarter v Tipp and then a semi against a Cork...well that would have been very hard. Limerick have a real chance to carve out a legacy this year. 3 All Irelands in 4 years would be fantastic.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Can't wait for it to start we'll have games almost every week for next 3 or 4 months after zilch in previous 4 months what a terrible pity we cant go watch this team but hopefully if we get to the later stages in july a few should be allowed in.
    We've a lot of options no doubt a few hard decisions for the mgmt to make from what I hear m Casey won't make it back at least not in early part of season and we know what happened with English last yr tis hard to regain your place so it's a shoot out between English nash and Costello for no 4 Jersey like a previous poster I think giving nash a try at 6 is worth a try he's a serious distributor of the ball and has an excellent hurling brain so could be an option for cover for 6. Half back line in general stays as is definitely the wing backs stay put.Does cathal o Neill push for a spot in hf line? If he does it releases lynch back to midfield or are we better off with lynch at 11 and midfield as it is? I dont think o donovan was fully fit last yr so he'll be better this yr too. The full forward line is where we have so many options guaranteed starters for me are gillane Flanagan mulcahy and Casey I know that's 4 but who drops down? Looks like mulcahy but he could be flying it after the break I also think gillane wasn't fully fit last yr either. Then theres pat ryan Barry Murphy adrian Breen cathal o Neill David reidy plus options players further out the field moving in so all in all tons of options. Cork is a good draw for us a lot of talk from a lot of hurling people outside of limerick are tipping cork as they've troubled us before time to put this right if we can cork( and every team) will be respected. I know within the camp theres a serious will to drive on and try win the double they're a serious bunch of players no bs or hysteria or anything about them just driven to do well for limerick I wish them the best for the upcoming season

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

That expression "an embarrassment of riches" comes to mind when I think of our hurling team, squad of 40 players, management and backroom team.
    There's no point in mentioning names, it's everyone of them. All about their focus now.

I wonder how Limerick's second 15 would get on in the Championship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭billyhead

The league's a good opportunity to get a settled 1st team and also give 1st choice subs game time. There's not enough time for too much experimenting. Although Cathal O'Neill is some prospect and someone who should get game time.

Advertisement