Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

High bike wrote: »
    id swap Nash and Hayes around

I'd keep Nash in the centre. I dont see Hayes being moved as he can raid up and down the wing. He'd have to sit and hold the middle if played centre back. And he doesn't deliver great ball from a standing still or pivoting position. He's way better moving forward and delivering diagonally. Nash has a wider range of deliveries and was outstanding against Kilkenny in the semi when he came on 2 years ago.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭The_Dave

The_Dave wrote: »
    I wonder how Limerick's second 15 would get on in the Championship
    You ask one question and people lose their minds:rolleyes:. One person answered and I'm not even sure it was sarcastic.
    At the top level the differences between the top teams is so fine, I was just wondering what people (Limerick fans) thought the perceived drop off between Limerick's first 15 and the rest was. I believe rightly or wrongly that there's little to split JK's first choice and the rest. In which case the second 15 should do pretty well. Now taking out the first 15 may lose you some real leaders which is where the struggle may be

• Registered Users Posts: 24,869 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Yerra, we can of course but talk of Limerick's second team is fool talk, imo. There's taking the piss and there's making yourself look like an idiot, occasionally a subtle difference (in my case, at any rate...)...

I assumed it was meant as a joke. People get outraged way too easy at this stuff

The_Dave wrote: »
    You ask one question and people lose their minds:rolleyes:. One person answered and I'm not even sure it was sarcastic.
    At the top level the differences between the top teams is so fine, I was just wondering what people (Limerick fans) thought the perceived drop off between Limerick's first 15 and the rest was. I believe rightly or wrongly that there's little to split JK's first choice and the rest. In which case the second 15 should do pretty well. Now taking out the first 15 may lose you some real leaders which is where the struggle may be

Even very, very good teams (across all sports) have a handful of players who elevate the rest of the players, imo. A Limerick team without any of the All Stars would probably be a very beatable side, even if the individual players were all pretty good. It's hard to know of course but lads like Hannon and Lynch are the core of the team not just for their skills but for their composure when pressure comes on.

A good example was last weekend's rugby. Ulster lost their key man in Cooney and even though the replacement was a former All Black, Cooney is integral to how Ulster play, it's not just about skills at knock-out level. Likewise, Ross Byrne is a pretty experienced outhalf at this stage, but he's no substitute for what Sexton brings to the Leinster side. Now he may be good enough in time but right now he isn't.

Anyhow, Limerick's first side isn't so far ahead that we need to worry about how second sides would do. Let's worry about them winning whatever they can while the can.

Quaids jersey is unreal. Is that on sale ?

• Advertisement

They should keep those jerseys for the rest of the league. Quaids shade of green is really cool. Great Jersey.
    Good passages of play but the hurling is slightly off. Tom Morrissey is must have been blocked 5 times . Still a good contest. Tipperary should be ahead really ,they've missed alot.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Can someone tell me what is on the shoulders of the limerick top?

Liam McCarthy but in a kind of faded black and white picture. Just looks dirty on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Decent run out for our 1st game, thought we lacked a bit in the forwards until late on. Jason Forde hitting 13pts and most of them from placed balls tells a tale. Ref gave them a few soft ones imo. Should be better against galway next week.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Liam McCarthy but in a kind of faded black and white picture. Just looks dirty on TV

Lovely Jersey overall though. No republican martyrs needed on a sporting Jersey. (No problem with honouring them but not through sport).
    I thought WOD and DOD were abit off the pace. They finished very well although the ref gave them very little. I hope the refs aren't going to blow Limerick off the pitch for the summer. I was happy with David Reidy with the pressure frees near the end. He came into it well. The half back line stormed into it and that finish well it leave Tipperary thinking..good test.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

Not bad for a team with an experimental forward line. Not as dangerous as usual shooting from the middle too which meant Tipp didn't need to push out

Lovely Jersey overall though. No republican martyrs needed on a sporting Jersey. (No problem with honouring them but not through sport).
    I thought WOD and DOD were abit off the pace. They finished very well although the ref gave them very little. I hope the refs aren't going to blow Limerick off the pitch for the summer. I was happy with David Reidy with the pressure frees near the end. He came into it well. The half back line stormed into it and that finish well it leave Tipperary thinking..good test.

The cup not the man

Not bad for a team with an experimental forward line. Not as dangerous as usual shooting from the middle too which meant Tipp didn't need to push out

Tipp clogged up the wings well and Tom Morrisseys striking was well off. He always needs tonnes of hurling to get him up to pace. Tipperary have some quick feet but Cathal Barrett is some man to throw himself down. 2 dives both bought by the ref.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭The_Dave

Apparently it's the Liam MacCarthy cup on both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Liked the jerseys

Nice start for Costello and Breen

Shame boylan got done for steps was fairly out of it and a direct run could have sparked him

The diagonal ball did not work at all no matter how often marty insisted it did

Good result given we looked out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Listening to Darragh Maloney on League Sunday commentating is different gravy compared to Marty. Marty would have made the 2004 Munster Hurling final a very drab affair. Cant stand listening to him. Ruins a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭High bike

I liked the way they upped it in the last quarter when it looked like they were in trouble,next week will be a better test

High bike wrote: »
    I liked the way they upped it in the last quarter when it looked like they were in trouble,next week will be a better test

We had our big players on the bench to replace young fellas. Tipp done it the other way round mostly.

Cork put down a marker today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭High bike

We had our big players on the bench to replace young fellas. Tipp done it the other way round mostly.

Cork put down a marker today
    Yeah their forwards looked good but wouldn't be impressed by their backs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

[QUOTE=breezy1985;117121380

Cork put down a marker today[/QUOTE]

Cork's All-Ireland to lose this year.
    Hard to see any team matching them.

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »

I wouldnt be going that far now but Kingston and McCarthy will definitely have them up there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Rosita

I wouldnt be going that far now but Kingston and McCarthy will definitely have them up there

Probably between themselves and Kilkenny. As John Mullane's analysis always goes.. "never write off the Cats".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭billyhead

washman3 wrote: »

Lol. After the first league game.

All jokes aside Cork were good. They were let hurl of course which Limerick or Kilkenny wouldn't do. But the quality Cork have is immense. I watched alot of their County Championship last year and it was a revelation. It wasnt soft either. They have alot of quality . Niall Cashman is some player wing back..
    I think Limerick do need goals this year. A tweaking of the gameplan is definitely needed. 1 or 2 goals a game would make all the difference because I don't see points alone retaining Liam

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭billyhead

I wouldn't worry much about our loss today. We may aswell get them out of the way now.

billyhead wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry much about our loss today. We may aswell get them out of the way now.

Ide be happy enough if they get the shooting sorted over the next few games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

It's never good to lose. Just ask any team that's used of winning.

I dunno, thought we were sluggish enough tbh. Early days but we looked off the pace of the game. Problem is the weird structure of this year doesn't really give you time to play a team into form.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

The high free count in the matches are killing the spectacle. We have to adapt to them better or will be pinged off the field every week. Galway looked good & could make the final later in the summer

• Advertisement

I dunno, thought we were sluggish enough tbh. Early days but we looked off the pace of the game. Problem is the weird structure of this year doesn't really give you time to play a team into form.

Started both games with unusual forward lines and I'm hoping that's why things look a bit disjointed. A game or 2 in the league without a win is fine but ide like to see them win a few now before the championship

Advertisement