Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

The high free count in the matches are killing the spectacle. We have to adapt to them better or will be pinged off the field every week. Galway looked good & could make the final later in the summer

How to adapt though? The current interpretation seems to be designed to remove contact. If we're to be as cynical as we're meant to be, we'll just see Limerick players diving left, right and centre...

Hannon should be back next weekend, we need his composure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Bit disappointing today, firstly with 2 pop shots from flanagan and hegarty

then we went through a patch of about 4 terrible decisions going against us and that dictated the game with owens going against us on every 50:50

I feel JK needs to do the talking post match and flanagan and hegarty cant get frustrated or follow in kind as the frees will go against them, owens gave phantom free against Dan M in the end

The debutants will want to forget that but if we are a bit behind the curve makes it very hard

Worrying how P Casey fades out of games

lots of stuff didnt work today, role on next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭High bike

James opens was man of the match as usual,as John Kiely said not too many would pay to watch that sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Frustrating all round today, Galway were definitely stronger than us today and had closer to a full team out, hard start for O'Grady and O'Neill away to Galway.
    The ref, as usual for him, was frustrating and seemed to penalise any tackle where the Hurley came up. Not sure if anyone has explained the changes to the reffing, definitely stuff that was allowed in last year's championship is not being allowed now.
    Haven't enjoyed the opening 2 games, the free takers will be the busiest on the field if this continues, wouldn't bet against a free taker getting over 20 points in a game this summer at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Frustrating all round today, Galway were definitely stronger than us today and had closer to a full team out, hard start for O'Grady and O'Neill away to Galway.
    The ref, as usual for him, was frustrating and seemed to penalise any tackle where the Hurley came up. Not sure if anyone has explained the changes to the reffing, definitely stuff that was allowed in last year's championship is not being allowed now.
    Haven't enjoyed the opening 2 games, the free takers will be the busiest on the field if this continues, wouldn't bet against a free taker getting over 20 points in a game this summer at this rate.

I agree with all that Kiely said. 100%. Owens was terrible,lots of diving going on. Weather we like it or not the game has changed overnight and its not good.
    The two young guys were poor. O Neill is so young but he got a tonne of ball and his touch was off,decision making very poor. He'd a chance of 2 easy points,missed them both. He's not strong enough either. He's a year off. O Grady and Costello both abit better..but both naive and slow to get the ball moving. Shamus Flanagan showed up reasonably well. Casey went out of it completely...Adrian Breen should start abit more..but his late strike for a point was pathetic. Still it's early doors and Kiely has dropped a badly needed grenade into the hurling world. Let's say where the shrapnel goes...

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

I dont think we have ever had a situation before where the rules have been changed because a team has successfully employed a strategy within the rules ("the swarm defense"). Like Kiely, I have no issue with real frees which Limerick give too many of at times, but the notion that contact needs to be taken out of the game is ridiculous. This will ruin hurling and not sure why they think it is something that needs to be addressed. It feels like they just don't like the swarm defense so want it gone so they can watch Cork and Tipp style hurling from everybody. With the ball so light, by taking contact out with a free for everything of course players are going to simulate and go down. Any free within 100 yards is scorable so of course players will dive for the free at the first opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,831 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I agree with all that Kiely said. 100%. Owens was terrible,lots of diving going on. Weather we like it or not the game has changed overnight and its not good.
    The two young guys were poor. O Neill is so young but he got a tonne of ball and his touch was off,decision making very poor. He'd a chance of 2 easy points,missed them both. He's not strong enough either. He's a year off. O Grady and Costello both abit better..but both naive and slow to get the ball moving. Shamus Flanagan showed up reasonably well. Casey went out of it completely...Adrian Breen should start abit more..but his late strike for a point was pathetic. Still it's early doors and Kiely has dropped a badly needed grenade into the hurling world. Let's say where the shrapnel goes...

I think Casey is showing he is best in the old Shane Dowling role.

There has clearly been a call made to clamp down on hard tackling which I don't really have a problem with but there needs to be an equal clampdown on charging and Hurley grabbing. Its something that will only increase the more you try clamp down on the tackling.

Watching rugby I think they have been having the same problem where stricter rules on the high tackle has lead to the man with ball dropping his head into tacklers arms

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Adelman of Beamfleot

slegs wrote: »
    I dont think we have ever had a situation before where the rules have been changed because a team has successfully employed a strategy within the rules ("the swarm defense"). Like Kiely, I have no issue with real frees which Limerick give too many of at times, but the notion that contact needs to be taken out of the game is ridiculous. This will ruin hurling and not sure why they think it is something that needs to be addressed. It feels like they just don't like the swarm defense so want it gone so they can watch Cork and Tipp style hurling from everybody. With the ball so light, by taking contact out with a free for everything of course players are going to simulate and go down. Any free within 100 yards is scorable so of course players will dive for the free at the first opportunity.

Anthony Nash?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Anthony Nash?

Yes, you are right..

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

THe only rule that has changed is with respect to advantage - all of these things were fouls before and are fouls now. The difference is the ref doesn't have the leeway to "let it flow".

If nothing else comes out of this experiment for the league it will be to demonstrate how laughable the rulebook has been for a long while now.

Do we want the game to flow? Then change to rules to allow the types of tackles that are being blown for now.

However, to keep them as fouls but bitch at refs when they are told to blow them up just seems stupid to me.

Forwards have to overcarry and dive because backs are allowed to maul them. The days of a battle of wits between a good forward and his marker are long long long gone now and it's just a stupid battle of who can foul without being caught.

So even though the games are terrible to watch now it might be a necessary evil to highlight the problems hurling has had in recent years.

• Advertisement

puzl wrote: »
    THe only rule that has changed is with respect to advantage - all of these things were fouls before and are fouls now. The difference is the ref doesn't have the leeway to "let it flow".

If nothing else comes out of this experiment for the league it will be to demonstrate how laughable the rulebook has been for a long while now.

Do we want the game to flow? Then change to rules to allow the types of tackles that are being blown for now.

However, to keep them as fouls but bitch at refs when they are told to blow them up just seems stupid to me.

Forwards have to overcarry and dive because backs are allowed to maul them. The days of a battle of wits between a good forward and his marker are long long long gone now and it's just a stupid battle of who can foul without being caught.

So even though the games are terrible to watch now it might be a necessary evil to highlight the problems hurling has had in recent years.

The rules should benefit the fouled team. The new advantage gives the ref no time to see if there has been any advantage which is actually making it better for the fouling team not worse.
    Now if you pull a man it's blown instantly and the fouled player gets no chance to pass it off to an overlapping player or like what happened to Limerick a score was called back for a free where as there should be no better advantage than a score.
    This rule will encourage fouling teams to foul and slow up play.

Also I think this battle of wits is something you dreamed up in your head. Hurling was usually jump and if you don't get the sliotar take a lump out of your man. Fouling is nothing new in hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,646 ✭✭✭billyhead

In relation to next Sunday's game Tom Morrissey and Gillane need to start. Cathal O'Neill was very underwhelming yesterday. I know he's only young and raw but we need to start winning games and building momentum heading into the championship.

billyhead wrote: »
    In relation to next Sunday's game Tom Morrissey and Gillane need to start. Cathal O'Neill was very underwhelming yesterday. I know he's only young and raw but we need to start winning games and building momentum heading into the championship.

I agree. It would be good to see the full team out and our game at full flow to remind everyone (myself included) just how good this team is

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I agree. It would be good to see the full team out and our game at full flow to remind everyone (myself included) just how good this team is

Would love to see Kyle back at half forward now casey and Hannon are fit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,646 ✭✭✭billyhead

Would love to see Kyle back at half forward now casey and Hannon are fit again.

Hannon was badly missed yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭shockframe

We were due a loss so maybe not a bad thing that the hype has been deflated. I'm not getting into the debate about frees and what not.

Looking at the last 2 games its clear that we are still very strong from the 23-27 year old core but there appears to be a gap emerging from 19-22.

The same for every other county I suppose but the alteration at underage looks to be having a considerable impact at senior.

We will still be competitve. Its a given now as our first 15 is still pretty formidable but depth could be a concern. Cathal O Neill had a tough day out but it would have been more of a surprise if he hadn't. He now knows whats ahead. No harm.

We won't be going all out with the league like the last 3 seasons from here on I reckon. Be more like our Kerry Football neighbours and try and hit the heights for championship.

Good start for the footballers on Saturday. Danny Neville scored a cracker of a goal. Be great to stay in Division 3 at the very least next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

billyhead wrote: »
    Hannon was badly missed yesterday.

Hes the brains of the backline. He steadies them all and doesn't give the ball away. His physical prowess is declining but his game management is top class. Limerick are better when he plays. To be honest I don't like how Costello plays corner back. He's over eager and jittery on the ball. Id like to see O Grady again. Id like to see a full strength team...Breen for Casey. Casey doesn't have the athletic ability for 70mins or even 50.
    I'd also ask O Donoghue to take it easy with his loose hand. Just go a game without getting pinged left right and centre . Be the grey man for 1 game. Gillane doesn't look fully fit. I hope he's got new boots this year. He's due a big year..I dont think he deserved his All Star but iv great time for him.
    Guys I hate to say it,but one more poor performance and these fellas will be struggling to find form. They ll be on the back foot.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Rosita

[QUOTE=shockframe;117194110

We won't be going all out with the league like the last 3 seasons from here on I reckon. Be more like our Kerry Football neighbours and try and hit the heights for championship.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure if you are confusing Kerry with some other county. They've played in four of the last five League decider and won two of them. By contrast they've reached just one All Ireland in that time. They couldn't reach the Munster Final last year but won the League. More or less the complete opposite to how you characterise them.

Rosita wrote: »
    Not sure if you are confusing Kerry with some other county. They've played in four of the last five League decider and won two of them. By contrast they've reached just one All Ireland in that time. They couldn't reach the Munster Final last year but won the League. More or less the complete opposite to how you characterise them.

I think they meant Kerry in their glory All Ireland winning days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Rosita

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I think they meant Kerry in their glory All Ireland winning days

Fairly old-fashioned reference so.

• Advertisement

Hes the brains of the backline. He steadies them all and doesn't give the ball away. His physical prowess is declining but his game management is top class. Limerick are better when he plays. To be honest I don't like how Costello plays corner back. He's over eager and jittery on the ball. Id like to see O Grady again. Id like to see a full strength team...Breen for Casey. Casey doesn't have the athletic ability for 70mins or even 50.
    I'd also ask O Donoghue to take it easy with his loose hand. Just go a game without getting pinged left right and centre . Be the grey man for 1 game. Gillane doesn't look fully fit. I hope he's got new boots this year. He's due a big year..I dont think he deserved his All Star but iv great time for him.
    Guys I hate to say it,but one more poor performance and these fellas will be struggling to find form. They ll be on the back foot.

Well, one thing to be said for the first two games is they've punctured the hype around the team. I think there's plenty of cause for concern tbh but sure at least we know where we're at (in the pack chasing Galway, imo).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 Jacktheelad

‘I wish to wholeheartedly retract those comments’ – John Kiely apologises to Galway over ‘simulation’ accusations.

Genuine question after all this & I suppose I'll get the best answer in here.

Do all the Limerick supporters that were echoing him statement online disagree with the apology & still believe that there was simulation?

Or were they just agreeing with him for the sake of bias & him being the Limerick manager & what not.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/i-wish-to-wholeheartedly-retract-those-comments-john-kiely-apologises-to-galway-over-simulation-accusations-40441085.html

I was more concerned that we got rode by the ref and obvious fouls on hegarty and flanagan werent called

Wouldnt have agreed with the simulation aspect of his statement

Is Graham Mul injured or just giving young fellas a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Is Graham Mul injured or just giving young fellas a chance?

Injured, went over his ankle in training a couple of weeks back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Limerick side v Waterford

1. Nicky Quaid (Effin)

2. Sean Finn (Bruff)

3. Dan Morrissey (Ahane)

4. Richie English (Doon)

5. Mark Quinlan (Garryspillane)

6. Declan Hannon (Adare) Captain

7. Kyle Hayes (Kildimo/Pallaskenry)

8. Cian Lynch (Patrickswell)

9. Darragh O’Donovan (Doon)

10. Tom Morrissey (Ahane)

11. David Reidy (Dromin-Athlacca)

12. Conor Boylan (Na Piarsaigh)

13. Aaron Gillane (Patrickswell)

14. Seamus Flanagan (Feohanagh-Castlemahon)

15. Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh)

16. Barry Hennessy (Kilmallock)

17. Adrian Breen (Na Piarsaigh)

18. Ronan Connolly (Adare)

19. Aaron Costello (Kilmallock)

20. Colin Coughlan (Ballybrown)

21. David Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)

22. Robbie Hanley (Kilmallock)

23. Barry Nash (South Liberties)

24. William O’Donoghue (Na Piarsiagh)

25. Cathal O’Neill (Crecora/Manister)

26. Pat Ryan (Doon)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭somespud

Great to see the above poster drop in here to enlighten us with the teamsheat for Sunday(he might be a little upset it was posted in the NHL thread)

somespud wrote: »
    Great to see the above poster drop in here to enlighten us with the teamsheat for Sunday(he might be a little upset it was posted in the NHL thread)

Hes " putting it where it belongs" Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Limerick hurling team on Limerick GAA thread shocker.

Not every Limerick supporter uses the League thread...

• Advertisement

Strong Waterford team imo, will need to be ready for a close match

Advertisement