Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

anyone had one or any thoughts on scalp pigmintation? I'm 32, been shaving my head every week for the past 5 years and i can pull off the look. However this pandemic happened just as my razor packed in and it's killing me looking at the back of my head. I'm probably a Norwood 4 at the moment,

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tommy Pickle

Kav_Piero wrote: »
    Anyone who has experience using finasteride did you notice any side effects?

Always been very reluctant to start using it based on some of the horror stories online

I’m about 8 months on it nice and no side effects. Sex life better then ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

anyone had one or any thoughts on scalp pigmintation? I'm 32, been shaving my head every week for the past 5 years and i can pull off the look. However this pandemic happened just as my razor packed in and it's killing me looking at the back of my head. I'm probably a Norwood 4 at the moment,

I've had two transplants. 1 in Turkey 1 in Ailesbury.

Despite decent coverage, my hair is very fine (runs in the family).

Dr Nel recommended finistrade in v small doses. I personally experienced no side effects, but would rather not take it.

I went to a lady based in malahide who quoted me 2800e for micropigmentation.

It involves as many sessions as needed (usually around 6). She tones the pigmentation to your natural hair colour, similar to women's eyebrow procedure.

I was contemplating going ahead but then COVID19 struck.

I cut my hair down to a 2 at the moment and would happy with it just a little more dense looking so it seems to me that other than going ahead with another transplant or taking finistrade, this may be the way to go.

Would like to hear other people's experiences.

PS - she strongly advised against tattoo artists

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭20/20

everlast75 wrote: »

Dr Nel recommended finistrade in v small doses. I personally experienced no side effects, but would rather not take it.

It involves as many sessions as needed (usually around 6). She tones the pigmentation to your natural hair colour, similar to women's eyebrow procedure.

I cut my hair down to a 2 at the moment and would happy with it just a little more dense looking so it seems to me that other than going ahead with another transplant or taking finistrade, this may be the way to go.

Do you mind me asking why you had two transplants ?
    Were you told you may need two in the beginning for good coverage, or did it fall out.

20/20 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking why you had two transplants ?
    Were you told you may need two in the beginning for good coverage, or did it fall out.

I cannot tell if it fell out or else over time, I didn't see the benefit of it as much. I got the second procedure at a good price and went for it.

Because it was here, and they did it without shaving my head, plus the price made me go for it.

• Advertisement

Would you mind PM'ing me the lady in Malahide? I plan to get this in motion when things start to get back relatively normal.

Was looking at Vinci hair clinic or Andre Nel too.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Thank you for adding your comments.
    So couple of years after the first hair transplant, was it becoming obvious that you did a procedure (and this led to the second one)?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jimosterberg

I have had tricopigmentation done with mhr in grafton Street. They fly a girl in to do it a few times a year and she does a few days of it. She's excellent. She's sound too, I went back for a top up a while back and she said I didn't need it, it looked to good and to keep my 300 euro.
    I spoke to Malahide previously and they seemed very expensive. I didn't like the look of their work either.

I'm very happy with my result. A shaved head suits me so it's the shaved effect I have as opposed to density after a transplant. People have asked me how come I cut my hair so tight when I have all my hair, have complimented my hairline etc. I wouldn't get permanent smp, I don't want the same hairline in my 60s.

I cannot tell if it fell out or else over time, I didn't see the benefit of it as much. I got the second procedure at a good price and went for it.

Because it was here, and they did it without shaving my head, plus the price made me go for it.

Sorry I missed this post.
    I think Fin is needed if you have some hair (especially on the front) and would like to keep it. However if you are already Norwood 7-8, then it does not matter cause there is no native hair left for Fin to take effect on.

I am on Fin for the last 8 years and haven't had any major problems as such (sex drive is also great).
    I have to state that I did stop it for a week or so, but for the first 3 days was having trouble sleeping. After that it was fine (maybe my body was trying to adjust to the change). But whatever hair I have left is thanks to fin and minoxidil.

I have had tricopigmentation done with mhr in grafton Street. They fly a girl in to do it a few times a year and she does a few days of it. She's excellent. She's sound too, I went back for a top up a while back and she said I didn't need it, it looked to good and to keep my 300 euro.
    I spoke to Malahide previously and they seemed very expensive. I didn't like the look of their work either.

I'm very happy with my result. A shaved head suits me so it's the shaved effect I have as opposed to density after a transplant. People have asked me how come I cut my hair so tight when I have all my hair, have complimented my hairline etc. I wouldn't get permanent smp, I don't want the same hairline in my 60s.

I think there's merit in getting the tone right. She said that she has seen tattoo artists doing the job and it was awful.

Did the lady you use work on the tone? How many sessions? And of course, do you recall the price?

• Advertisement

Yeah they make sure to colour match. Keeping a natural looking hairline is important too. The cost depends on the extent of your hair loss. I have a decent amount of hair in the middle but my hairline and temples are all tricopigmentation. She did a bit at the crown too. I think the initial cost was about 1200 for 3 sessions.

A top up is recommended every year to 18 months. I've only needed 1 and it's nearly 3 years since I had mine done. I presumed people would notice but I guess they didn't because I cut my hair short anyway and we pay a lot more attention to our heads than others do!

Yeah they make sure to colour match. Keeping a natural looking hairline is important too. The cost depends on the extent of your hair loss. I have a decent amount of hair in the middle but my hairline and temples are all tricopigmentation. She did a bit at the crown too. I think the initial cost was about 1200 for 3 sessions.

A top up is recommended every year to 18 months. I've only needed 1 and it's nearly 3 years since I had mine done. I presumed people would notice but I guess they didn't because I cut my hair short anyway and we pay a lot more attention to our heads than others do!

Thanks so much for the reply. Sounds promising.

To be honest I was struggling trying to justify spending even more money on my hair, so a better value option might work.

If you could pm me the details of the place I'd appreciate it.

Thanks so much for the reply. Sounds promising.

To be honest I was struggling trying to justify spending even more money on my hair, so a better value option might work.

If you could pm me the details of the place I'd appreciate it.

It's mhr on grafton Street. They fly a girl in called Joanna but Kim runs the business, she'll be able to book you in. I've seen some excellent results where fue was combined with tricopigmentation where the transplant hadn't looked great but with the two combined it looked super. Plenty of examples to be found on Instagram.

The combo generally looks better with shorter hair but can enhance a transplant quite a lot that has decent coverage but not great density

It's mhr on grafton Street. They fly a girl in called Joanna but Kim runs the business, she'll be able to book you in. I've seen some excellent results where fue was combined with tricopigmentation where the transplant hadn't looked great but with the two combined it looked super. Plenty of examples to be found on Instagram.

The combo generally looks better with shorter hair but can enhance a transplant quite a lot that has decent coverage but not great density

How much for a consultation with MHR? I'm thinking about going for the Tricopigmintation for now and maybe go for the permanent SMP in a few years.

How much for a consultation with MHR? I'm thinking about going for the Tricopigmintation for now and maybe go for the permanent SMP in a few years.

The consultations are free

great thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Coady2020

suave.4u wrote: »
    Is anyone taking loniten (oral min). Planning to move from rogaine foam to Loniten.
    Foam is good, but it is making my head very sweaty, especially when playing sports or eating something spicy.

Anyone know if you can get oral minoxidil in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭HBC08

Coady2020 wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can get oral minoxidil in Ireland ?

You need a prescription for it.
    You also need a Dr who is sympathetic to your cause and will prescribe it.The potential side effects are dangerous especially if you have a history of heart trouble in your family.It was recommended to me by my Dr but I did my own research and opted not to take it.
    Topical minoxidil whilst not as effective has virtually no side effects and can be bought over the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BeMAD

Has anyone here been using Finastride and want to share their experience. Debating getting an FUE transplant but given Fin is such a huge part of success stories i wanted to know what peoples personal experience with the drug is like;

What age did you start taken it? (heard side effects are more likely to occur in younger men - albeit still probably minimal)

What kind of dosage are you personally on? (Read people's dosages vary - propecia 1mg daily, there is 1mg 3 times a week, sometimes even half 0.5mg 3 times a week)

Did you have any side effects? If so how long were you taking it before the side effects showed?

Did the side effects go away? If so was it due to discontinuing Fin or was it after a stop and start approach that I have heard people doing to adjust to Fin.

Can appreciate there are a lot of horror stories out there so just looking to hear from peoples own personal experiences with Fin. Pm me if you don't want to post here as I'm really interested to hear people's experiences on it. Thanks

So I went into MHR today for a consultation. I'd been shaving my head the past 5 years but my razor broke literally the week of lockdown so its grown a little long. I'd gone in with discussing SMP or TMP on the back as I still have a decent amount of hair at the front.

However lady recommended that I go for the FUE transplant as I'm only a Norwood 4. It seems they charge by the hair rather than the graft and she said 3500 hairs at €1 per hair. €3,500 for a FUE transplant in Ireland is very tempting.

Hadnt even entertained a FUE transplant before this so going to shop around but their results seem decent even if reviews aren't a plenty. I'm a little bit wary of the recommendation of Finestricide and also the treatment being done by the hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

3500 hairs would be around 1500 grafts. So at 2.30 a graft, that's a very good price. You likely wont get a better price than that anywhere in ireland.

Ailesbury clinic is probably the only one not prescribing finisterade as its DHT blocker, but for 3500 hairs, you'll pay in and around 6000 euros with them. They are around 3.50-4.00 euro per graft

• Registered Users Posts: 9 IrelandABU

Ok, so I bit the bullet and decided to go through with the transplant.

Initially went for a consultation with Dr. Nel and was very impressed, he took all the time I needed (2.5hours) to explain everything in detail and showed me multiple examples of patients at a similar level to me (Norwood 5 bordering on 6). He drew what I could expect as a possible hairline and he recommended a combined FUE/FUT taking a total of 4000 grafts focusing on recreating the hairline and going back to just before my crown. Would need to fully shave my head for the procedure.

As most would recommend I also visited another, let’s say well known, clinic in South Dublin for a consultation and the experience couldn’t have been different. In total it lasted 40 minutes with their most senior consultant. Lovely chat about loads of things other than hair and after a few photos and a suggestion of FUT with 2000 grafts I was told any follow up questions could be answered at the next consultation with the broader team that I’d have to arrange at reception and I was ushered out the door.

So it wasn’t that that made my mind up, it was actually my belief that Dr. Nel was the right person for me and I trusted him to do it. So the following week I had a few more questions and Dr. Nel rang me and spend another 45 minutes on the phone talking me through things so I can say his approach was excellent.

Anyway, today was D-Day, and I’m back in the hotel after the first session from 7pm - 11pm where we designed the hairline, shaved what was left of my hair, and I spend the next 2.5 hours watching Netflix feeling absolutely no pain while Dr. Nel did the 4000 incisions that will be implanted tomorrow and Saturday.

Why do it the evening before (yes I asked him too) and he said it allowed him to take his time and get the incisions done in the right random pattern and get the hairline incisions really natural. Which he certainly did!

Day 1 done and I couldn’t be happier. Will see if I feel the same tomorrow after 10-12 hours.

Will post an update tomorrow hopefully.

Rikand wrote: »
    3500 hairs would be around 1500 grafts. So at 2.30 a graft, that's a very good price. You likely wont get a better price than that anywhere in ireland.

Ailesbury clinic is probably the only one not prescribing finisterade as its DHT blocker, but for 3500 hairs, you'll pay in and around 6000 euros with them. They are around 3.50-4.00 euro per graft

Yeah I appreciate it's a very good price, it's actually what's putting me off how much cheaper it is compared to anywhere else I've looked in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

IrelandABU wrote: »

Initially went for a consultation with Dr. Nel and was very impressed, he took all the time I needed (2.5hours) to explain everything in detail and showed me multiple examples of patients at a similar level to me (Norwood 5 bordering on 6). He drew what I could expect as a possible hairline and he recommended a combined FUE/FUT taking a total of 4000 grafts focusing on recreating the hairline and going back to just before my crown. Would need to fully shave my head for the procedure.

As most would recommend I also visited another, let’s say well known, clinic in South Dublin for a consultation and the experience couldn’t have been different. In total it lasted 40 minutes with their most senior consultant. Lovely chat about loads of things other than hair and after a few photos and a suggestion of FUT with 2000 grafts I was told any follow up questions could be answered at the next consultation with the broader team that I’d have to arrange at reception and I was ushered out the door.

So it wasn’t that that made my mind up, it was actually my belief that Dr. Nel was the right person for me and I trusted him to do it. So the following week I had a few more questions and Dr. Nel rang me and spend another 45 minutes on the phone talking me through things so I can say his approach was excellent.

Anyway, today was D-Day, and I’m back in the hotel after the first session from 7pm - 11pm where we designed the hairline, shaved what was left of my hair, and I spend the next 2.5 hours watching Netflix feeling absolutely no pain while Dr. Nel did the 4000 incisions that will be implanted tomorrow and Saturday.

Why do it the evening before (yes I asked him too) and he said it allowed him to take his time and get the incisions done in the right random pattern and get the hairline incisions really natural. Which he certainly did!

Day 1 done and I couldn’t be happier. Will see if I feel the same tomorrow after 10-12 hours.

Best of luck today man not that you will need it, its very straight forward with dr nel, dont put a comedy on netflix while they aree doing the op as idid, laughing not the greatestidea while they are working on you. Come saturday evening you will be dleighted as you will be back in your bed knowing you have finally done something about a fixable problem that has been bothering you.

All the very best man.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sugarman20

Congrats! Could I be cheeky and ask what kind of price you'd be looking at for 4000 grafts with Dr. Nel? I'm thinking about going with him too but still thinking about it.

Edit: Still trying to weigh it up if I should get it done here or abroad.

Best of luck! Trying to decide whether or not to do the transplant too so interest to hear how you find it. Dr.Nel was very through in the consultation and sounds like it's the same all the way through which is really good to hear.

sugarman20 wrote: »
    Congrats! Could I be cheeky and ask what kind of price you'd be looking at for 4000 grafts with Dr. Nel? I'm thinking about going with him too but still thinking about it.

Edit: Still trying to weigh it up if I should get it done here or abroad.

I think Dr.Nel usually costs €4 per graft if your head is shaved and it is higher if you don't want to shave your head for the procedure.

If you are considering a transplant I would still advise you to go to Dr.Nel as I went for another consultation before Dr.Nel and i was not impressed at all. Consultation is €200 but it is well worth it as he will talk you through the whole thing and draw a hairline in the consultation so at least you will have an idea. At the very least you will have a quality consultation before potentially going abroad if that's what you wanted to do. If suitable he will give you a perscription for Finastride also in order to halt further hair loss. So if you wanted to do that while saving to have the procedure in Ireland that is also an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 IrelandABU

Ok, day 2 of my transplant with Dr. Nel over so I’ll give you guys a run down of the day in case anyone is interested.

Was picked up at the hotel at 7 and brought over to the clinic. Had breakfast there with some of the team and then straight down to business.

FUT first and despite some initial discomfort with the anaesthetic injections it went as smooth as anything. We had agreed to take a conservative strip to avoid any major stretching of the skin so this was done and then I was fully stitched up with an internal wound stitch and an external skin stitch. He took some photos and showed me these and it looks very tidy.

Then it was time for a coffee break and then back to start the FUE. I’m getting both safe donor area and beard FUE so we started on the beard area. This went on till early afternoon and after some food I learned that the team had managed to get over 1800 grafts from the strip and almost 600 from the beard.

Then it was back in to start the implantation which went great, hairline created as we had agreed and painless throughout, I spent the time watching Netflix.

Procedure went on till after 7pm and now I’m back in the hotel again with my regular spray routine so I’d say it’ll be a long night. Some pain starting in the FUT area as is to be expected but they have given painkillers and all the bits and bobs I’ll need for the night. (Which I’m sure will be a long one)

Safe donor FUE (targeting 2000 grafts) tomorrow and can’t wait to see what the end result looks like but so far so good.

Will do another update tomorrow and let you know how it all finished up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Ok, day 2 of my transplant with Dr. Nel over so I’ll give you guys a run down of the day in case anyone is interested.

Was picked up at the hotel at 7 and brought over to the clinic. Had breakfast there with some of the team and then straight down to business.

FUT first and despite some initial discomfort with the anaesthetic injections it went as smooth as anything. We had agreed to take a conservative strip to avoid any major stretching of the skin so this was done and then I was fully stitched up with an internal wound stitch and an external skin stitch. He took some photos and showed me these and it looks very tidy.

Then it was time for a coffee break and then back to start the FUE. I’m getting both safe donor area and beard FUE so we started on the beard area. This went on till early afternoon and after some food I learned that the team had managed to get over 1800 grafts from the strip and almost 600 from the beard.

Then it was back in to start the implantation which went great, hairline created as we had agreed and painless throughout, I spent the time watching Netflix.

Procedure went on till after 7pm and now I’m back in the hotel again with my regular spray routine so I’d say it’ll be a long night. Some pain starting in the FUT area as is to be expected but they have given painkillers and all the bits and bobs I’ll need for the night. (Which I’m sure will be a long one)

Safe donor FUE (targeting 2000 grafts) tomorrow and can’t wait to see what the end result looks like but so far so good.

Will do another update tomorrow and let you know how it all finished up.

Thanks for sharing your experience, no doubt it will help a lot of people on here.

Advertisement