Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass shooting New Zealand Mosque - MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Just saw the video.

Pretty disgusting.

An absolute psychopath
    Why did you watch that? Genuine question.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Shocking news to wake up to.

The references to Pope Urban indicate the crusades, and maybe also the Deus Vult stuff you see on the net, which started off as a meme but was co-opted by the alt and then far right online, as an anti-muslim and 'Christian pride' phrase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I don't know who that woman is.

Is she saying the shootings didn't happen?

No, she's saying that they were carried out by a crack team of globalists who have framed a bunch of sweet-hearted, far-right knuckledraggers to make white people look bad and to take away our civil liberties. Those darned globalists...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Just saw the video.

Pretty disgusting.

An absolute psychopath

Very proficient with the weapon he used, calm and collective. I wonder if this will open up a conversation on gun control there as apparently the laws there are fairly lax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The Moleman

Still available they will see them unfortunately
    They are still available if you know where to look.
    Giveaway wrote: »
    Once on the internet always in the internet. Even if it could be scrubbed entirely many have already downloaded same to be reposted under different titles over the coming days and months. Best policy is for individuals to ignore.

I'm thinking now my sister's kid's school has a ban on devices. Hopefully no child has seen or heard about this this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Yeah insanely methodical and calm. Which is why he seems psychopathic to me.

Watched it out of curiosity of how bad it was. Tbh i learned that if im ever in that situation to take your chances running. Dont hide.

I didnt seek it out to watch. Got sent to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Despicable act, hard to actually think of adequate words to describe the heinousness of it.

RIP to all victims and thoughts with all their loved ones.

I don't know what punishment would suffice for such an act.

To think of innocent people, going to prayer and they are murdered in such brutality. I can't comprehend how anyone comes to a point in their thinking/rationale where they believe they've the right to take life. It's absolutely horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The casual xenophobia in Australia seems to be an extremely common and integral part of Australian life. They absolutely hate the Irish over there too. From a country that was a dumping ground for criminals you really have to laugh at the necks on them.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Why did you watch that? Genuine question.

I couldn't watch something like that. As for beheading videos.......jaysus....no way. It makes me wonder what affect watching these things has on young developing minds? Not to mention young people (and adults) who've actually witnessed beheadings etc first hand in Syria, Iraq etc. It's a crazy world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Very proficient with the weapon he used, calm and collective. I wonder if this will open up a conversation on gun control there as apparently the laws there are fairly lax.

That was part of his stated plan as he felt more people would agree and take similar action to him(not necessarily with guns) if their guns were taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Remove freedoms like what?

The amount of shampoo you can take on a flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just saw the video.

Pretty disgusting.

An absolute psychopath

Why would you want to to watch it. It disturbs me that such a video is out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Hmmmm....when Muslim terrorists were murdering people I never saw people doubt how truly Muslim they were ;)

I'm sure I did,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I'm 44 ,I vote, I've no idea what all this left/right far left/far right stuff means, nor do I care, am I alone in this? Labels for everything seem to cause more problems.

Hope those innocents rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I'm 44 ,I vote, I've no idea what all this left/right far left/far right stuff means, nor do I care, am I alone in this? Labels for everything seem to cause more problems.

Hope those innocents rest in peace.

Not as old as you ;) but I feel the same.

I have some left leaning ideas, others might be classed as right. But these days apparently you have to firmly pick a side... It's mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

To clarify, because its been posted multiple times; Gemma O Doherty constitutes both conspiracy theories and off topic posting, which is contrary to the warning i gave earlier. I can delete the posts all day long, but each one will come with a card.

Stop posting Gemma's incendiary self promoting sh!te.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Did the attackers make any reference to Christianity or claim to be acting because of religious beliefs?

If they did then it is as fair to call them Christian terrorists as it is to use the phrases Muslim/Islamic terrorists.

These people who do these things are not actually Christians or Muslims anymore than the IRA or UDF are Catholic or Protestants.

From his “manifesto”
    Were/are you a Christian?
    That is complicated.
    When I know, I will tell you.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Why would you want to to watch it. It disturbs me that such a video is out there.

I can understand the mentality of watching the video. It drives home the reality of the situation instead of it being just "another news story".

In this day and age, events like this come and go and are replaced by the next horrific act without it resonating fully with people. You rarely hear about the Vegas shooting or the news reporter that was shot live on air anymore.

Watching the video can sometimes make you treat it as an actual incident rather than something you read about underneath the latest Kardashian story.

Sometime you have to witness horrific things to understand them.

I can see why people wouldn't want to see it but I wouldn't condemn people who do watch the video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    Has anyone asked Peter Casey his thoughts on the matter...?

:confused:

What ?? I presume like everyone else who is not sick in the head that he is horrified.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Not as old as you ;) but I feel the same.

I have some left leaning ideas, others might be classed as right. But these days apparently you have to firmly pick a side... It's mental.

Not in Ireland, most of us are centrist.

In very simplistic terms, right traditionally meant believing in small government (less regulations, lower taxes) and left traditionally meant higher taxes and better government services and protections (health, education, social welfare). The right was traditionally socially conservative and supported the traditional family unit, while the left supported equality.

In recent years, the right has become more associated with anti-abortion, anti-immigrant and in some cases anti-gay rights movements, while the left have been accused of being obsessed with identity politics (women's rights, gay rights, immigrants' rights) and wanting open borders (no one really wants open borders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

What was this terroist reasons for going after unarmed people?

Then to record it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

TallGlass wrote: »
    What was this terroist reasons for going after unarmed people?

They are cowards. Simple as. his manifesto reads like a Reddit ****posters comment history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    Not in Ireland, most of us are centrist.

In very simplistic terms, right traditionally meant believing in small government (less regulations, lower taxes) and left traditionally meant higher taxes and better government services and protections (health, education, social welfare). The right was traditionally socially conservative and supported the traditional family unit, while the left supported equality.

In recent years, the right has become more associated with anti-abortion, anti-immigrant and in some cases anti-gay rights movements, while the left have been accused of being obsessed with identity politics (women's rights, gay rights, immigrants' rights) and wanting open borders (no one really wants open borders.

Modern right wing especially since the big-tech age has been pushing towards extreme nationalism and in the US/UK white supremacy.
    Fascism is back in play.
    Concerned citizens reaction to protect minorities is not an 'obsession'. It is just what right minded people would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If he thinks that globalization, the advance of the free market will be stopped by shooting people going about praying, he is even more deranged than his actions suggest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Britain has very strict gun control laws, and terrorists just kill people with knives, vans and homemade bombs.

The fundamental issue is the role of Islam in western society. Do they want to assimilate and accept our values or continue to drive a wedge between us?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

He's only a senator because of the **** up with dual nationality senators not being legal in Australia situation. He got 19 votes, that's not a typo, 19 votes in an state election got him into a senate position by sheer fluke.

https://www.news.com.au/national/politics/19-people-got-this-bloke-a-200k-job/news-story/f8d8aaa83f0c2bcab53626455a3698d6

I thought right was generally accepted as nationist and monarchist?
    and left more liberal and socially democratic??

so extreme right would be racist in terms of FOR Queen and Country, type of nationalism and extreme left would be "lefty liberals" let everyone in, give everyone a house and welfare, and hollywood. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,641 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Britain has very strict gun control laws, and terrorists just kill people with knives, vans and homemade bombs.

The fundamental issue is the role of Islam in western society. Do they want to assimilate and accept our values or continue to drive a wedge between us?

Your username if it could would sue you for defamation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,115 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The fundemental issue of muslims being murdered as they prey is their role in western society.

Do THEY want to drive a wedge? Like there is no evidence of while male dominated religions or political party looking to drive that wedge themselves.

FFS.

Advertisement