Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New tv for series x

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

how much are you talking for say a 32 inch tv that supports 4k and 120 fps?

I don't think there is such a thing. 32" is practically gaming monitor size these days. The smallest TVs I can think of that would cover those specs are the handful of 49" OLEDs that have been released this year but from what I've seen, they're more expensive than the 55" version of the same model.

The 55" xh90 is down to £900 over here at the moment which is most likely the best bang for buck once they iron out their new firmware glitches.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Next on my list is a Dolby Atmos soundbar to go with it.

I have the JBL 9.1 sitting in a Currys shopping cart with the xh90 which totals £1500 after cashback. I'm so bloody tempted to go with it but. . . .2nd kid was born 3 days ago so that money could come in handy for the year ahead while she's off work. Damn adult life getting in the way of tech purchases

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

That JBL one was on my shortlist too.

I used to have a full decent 5.1. system, that got packed away at one point and will never be rolled out again so it's sound bars from now on here. We have an old 2.1 Samsung but DTS and Dolby Digital 2 channel is as good as that gets but it still has a good sound so I can imagine how the newer ones with more advanced processing and technology sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Been doing a ton of research on TV's over the last few weeks.

After looking into it all, it really is down to two TV's if you want to make the most of what GEN5 can offer.

Consensus seems to be:

1. LG CX

2. Samsung Q90T / 950T

I'd decide here and now on the LG CX but Image Burn has been mentioned constantly by pretty much all articles and reviews I've read.

Unless you only spend a couple of hours a week gaming, it shouldnt be a concern but for those of us who could easily spend 3+ hours in one sitting, then its just too much of a risk imo. Titles with static huds (and bright static huds especially) are killers. Unfortunately FIFA is a title I play a lot of.

But by all accounts quality wise, the LG CX trumps everything.

Samsung Q90T is the best LCD TV. No image burn fears but doesnt quite match the LG CX in terms of quality.

Are there any companies that offer warranties that cover screen burn on OLEDS? To see image burn two years down the line after spending the guts of 1500 euro on a TV would be a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I have the Samsung 65Q9FN from a couple of years ago. Dropped over 2k on it at the time after much research and chose it over the LG C8 at the time.

The image quality on the very top end QLEDs is absolutely a match for equivalent OLEDS and can get much brighter whilst matching 99% of the blacks. Samsung's Game Modesl also has the least lag when it comes to gaming. At the end of the day though, you're going to end up with a stunning picture regardless of which you go for at the top of the range.

The top end Panasonic OLEDs are also with checking out. Fantastic TVs.

• Advertisement

Screen burn is not something to worry about. I think I linked to it already in this thread but one crowd are testing the life out of it and at that it's not a problem unless you leave something like a news channel on 24 hours a day over the lifetime of the TV.

Most reviews mention it by way of passing that it's something people worry about, not that it's a problem for a regular user.

When it comes to lag, Samsung's are good but it's down to the model, not the mode across the range, there's plenty that are better when it comes to lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Gonzo wrote: »
    anyone have any luck getting 4k 120 to work on the xbox series X with a Sony XH90 tv? I have the xbox on hdmi 3 which is the ARC port and I have latest firmware update and under settings selected the 4k 120hz mode in the tv. Now when I go to video settings on the xbox I can do 4k at 60 and the 120hz option is there but when I go to it the resolution reverts to 1080p, this tv is supposed to be able to to do 4k @ 120hz but so far I can't seem to get this going at all.

Hey do you have the enhanced output set in the watch tv settings ?

Hurrache wrote: »
    Screen burn is not something to worry about. I think I linked to it already in this thread but one crowd are testing the life out of it and at that it's not a problem unless you leave something like a news channel on 24 hours a day over the lifetime of the TV.

Most reviews mention it by way of passing that it's something people worry about, not that it's a problem for a regular user.

I dont want to turn it in to one of those threads but I cant let posts like this go without a response. Burn in or image retention is still very much a factor. If it were not a factor, why have LG Display changed the subpixel structure in almost every annual revision in an effort to combat it (along with additional features e.g. pixel refresh etc.)?

Head over to AVForums OLED section and you'll see very clear evidence of it on an almost daily basis. Generally it takes 2-3 years to show but that is still not acceptable on a £1000+ TV - too soon to say how good the protective measures are on the CX models. Plenty of users over there will not buy another OLED. And we're not talking hours of constant fixed images, OLED pixel wear is cumulative so 15 mins of a logo every day for 6 days will have the same effect as a solid 90 min single sitting. Obviously there are other factors that play their part i.e. screen brightness settings and the main colours being displayed (red and yellows are the worst - the GMB logo is a panel killer). I also think the old panel lottery plays a part too. So I dont think every OLED is going to burn in super quick but I dont like it when people try to say that it's nothing to be mindful of.

You should hear/read some of the lengths people go to in an effort to babysit their OLEDs, like zooming in on news and sports channels so static content is not on screen. Absolute madness.

The bright side is that Irish consumer law is awesome and if you were to get a bad case of it inside an unreasonably short period, you'll easily win in the SCC on durability/fit for purpose grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Monolake

Slightly off topic, but where do we stand with gaming monitors for next gen? Are there many on the market that fully capitalise on what the PS5 or Series X offers. Should we expect 4K HDR 10 monitors to become more prevalent?

When I finally make the switch to PS5 I will be on a gaming monitor only. I tried out a 27" monitor with my One X and frankly there is no going back from it. I had hitherto been a graduate of the school of Bigger is Better but now I feel that a big panel is simply awful for gaming. Those pesky PC overlords were correct all along.

theteal wrote: »
    I dont want to turn it in to one of those threads but I cant let posts like this go without a response. Burn in or image retention is still very much a factor. If it were not a factor, why have LG Display changed the subpixel structure in almost every annual revision in an effort to combat it (along with additional features e.g. pixel refresh etc.)?

Head over to AVForums OLED section and you'll see very clear evidence of it on an almost daily basis. Generally it takes 2-3 years to show but that is still not acceptable on a £1000+ TV - too soon to say how good the protective measures are on the CX models. Plenty of users over there will not buy another OLED. And we're not talking hours of constant fixed images, OLED pixel wear is cumulative so 15 mins of a logo every day for 6 days will have the same effect as a solid 90 min single sitting. Obviously there are other factors that play their part i.e. screen brightness settings and the main colours being displayed (red and yellows are the worst - the GMB logo is a panel killer). I also think the old panel lottery plays a part too. So I dont think every OLED is going to burn in super quick but I dont like it when people try to say that it's nothing to be mindful of.

You should hear/read some of the lengths people go to in an effort to babysit their OLEDs, like zooming in on news and sports channels so static content is not on screen. Absolute madness.

The bright side is that Irish consumer law is awesome and if you were to get a bad case of it inside an unreasonably short period, you'll easily win in the SCC on durability/fit for purpose grounds.
    To add to this, they only give a 1 year warranty on burn in. What this tells you is they have no confidence in their panels lasting more than a year without suffering burn in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Monolake wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but where do we stand with gaming monitors for next gen? Are there many on the market that fully capitalise on what the PS5 or Series X offers. Should we expect 4K HDR 10 monitors to become more prevalent?

When I finally make the switch to PS5 I will be on a gaming monitor only. I tried out a 27" monitor with my One X and frankly there is no going back from it. I had hitherto been a graduate of the school of Bigger is Better but now I feel that a big panel is simply awful for gaming. Those pesky PC overlords were correct all along.

I can only assume your monitor was better than your tv spec wise ? The best TVs will be awesome how could a 4k 120 hz 65inch tv not be amazing ?

theteal wrote: »

Anything can be a problem if there isn't precautions to prevent it.

Re AVforums, there's plenty of people who have also bought successive OLED TVs, it doesn't mean much. Like all forums, those with issues, or are fanboys, post the strongest.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test
    Update 05/31/2019: The TVs have now been running for over 9000 hours (around 5 years at 5 hours every day). Uniformity issues have developed on the TVs displaying Football and FIFA 18, and are starting to develop on the TV displaying Live NBC. Our stance remains the same, we don't expect most people who watch varied content without static areas to experience burn-in issues with an OLED TV.

Original statement from 11/05/2018: After more than 5000 hours, there has been no appreciable change to the brightness or color gamut of these TVs. Long periods of static content have resulted in some permanent burn-in (see the CNN TVs), however the other TVs with more varied content don't yet have noticeable uniformity issues on normal content. As a result, we don't expect most people who watch varied content without static areas to experience burn-in issues with an OLED TV. Those who display the same static content over long periods of time should consider the risk of burn-in though (such as those who watch lots of news, use the TV as a PC monitor, or play the same game with a bright static HUD). Those who are concerned about the risk of burn-in should go with an LCD TV for the peace of mind.

It's not something I'm going to be worried about, it's for mixed usage in my house and only really gets long usage for gaming on weekends when the kids are off.

Cyrus wrote: »
    I can only assume your monitor was better than your tv spec wise ? The best TVs will be awesome how could a 4k 120 hz 65inch tv not be amazing ?

Of course they're amazing. A TV like that, properly calibrated, absolutely stunning.

But I'm referring strictly to the size of the panel. Of course I can only speak for myself but I find being right up against a screen much more immersive and it makes me more reactive and frankly better at games.

For whatever reason, being up close to a large TV is different. The mechanics aren't quite the same. I've played on a professionally calibrated monster panel. When I became used to the sheer spectacle of it what I was left with was a diminished gameplay experience, especially when playing competitively or indeed just competing with my own top scores and times.

For me 27" is the sweet spot. It's large enough to dominate your frontal vision but you're not rolling your eyes across the screen as you would being as close as is comfortably possible to a TV. First person games, any kind of schmup or, in particular, racing games are my bag. I get pulled into a flow state that I simply don't get when I'm perched in front of an enormous panel. There's just no comparison.

I'm not heaping criticism on TVs. Just last night I was flaked out on the sofa playing Tetris Effect: Connected and having a grand old time. I'm just excited about where consoles have headed and their increasing suitability for high end gaming panels.

But who knows? Perhaps 120Hz will entice me permanently back into the living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

4K at 27" is overkill, assuming the PS5 supports 1440p just go for that. Much cheaper 120hz panel and spend the saving on games.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,847 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ED E wrote: »
    4K at 27" is overkill, assuming the PS5 supports 1440p just go for that. Much cheaper 120hz panel and spend the saving on games.

PS5 does not support 1440P.

ED E wrote: »

I respectfully disagree. Red Dead Redemption 2 in native 4K on my old 27" towered about everything else I played on the system or indeed on PS4 Pro. But it's a fair point and for many people 1440p will do just fine, especially if their ultimate priority is that super fast refresh rate.

Also, you may be surprised at the price difference. It's about two years since I bought mine but back then the 1440p panels were right up there and oftentimes more expensive. 1440p/144Hz was the panel of choice for PC gamers so there was a vast and expensive selection in that spec range. Thankfully all I needed at the time was 60Hz so I was able to come in at a good price. Of course that situation changes when you're looking for 4K and 120Hz. I haven't even dared to look at those prices yet.

But who knows. Maybe I'll bump it up to 32". I'm currently saving towards a major audio/visual overhaul so I have time to assess the market and my exact requirements.

My ultimate set up will be a Series S on my trusty old 1080p for casual gaming in the living room and then a PS5 and GTX 3080 build in my man cave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah it drove me nuts that PS4 didn't support 1440P when Xbox did, now even the PS5 doesn't. PS4 looked like absolute crap on my 1440p monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dulchie12

Anyone recommend a half decent TV for under €400 to go with the series x? Just for a 13 year old. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Dulchie12 wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a half decent TV for under €400 to go with the series x? Just for a 13 year old. Thanks

Santa under a lot of pressure this year :) I think you really can expect 4K at that price. None of the other series x bells and whistles. Or maybe one of the LG 4K HDR monitors with freesync. See a few different models on Amazon.

Thanks. I was advised against a monitor but ill look again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

To add to this, they only give a 1 year warranty on burn in. What this tells you is they have no confidence in their panels lasting more than a year without suffering burn in.

LG gives zero warranty for burn in. Their one year warranty doesn't cover burn in as they put that down to user error and not to do with a manufacturing defect. i have the LG CX and I absolutely love it but will be using my LG Nanocell for gaming as static HUDs in gaming can be a real issue, especially for games lime Fifa or if you generally only play the same game over and over. I only play Call of Duty, have never and will never be interested in playing any other game, unless maybe Metal Gear Solid 6 comes out. It all depends on your usage. If you're a casual gamer it's not an issue but if you play for hours and hours I'd go for Qled. But don't bank on a burn-in warranty for one year as it doesn't exist with any brand. Some stores offer the chance to buy an accidental damage warranty that covers burn-in but a standard warranty won't as burn-in is considered my the manufacturer to be a consumer misuse of the technology and not their responsibility. Some customers have got lucky to get LG to replace a burn-in panel but that is very rare and more likely got lucky with the agent they used as it is against their policy to cover burn in. So just be aware that you are on your own with burn in, so be careful how you use the TV and gain some knowledge and wisdom about how to avoid it before you buy one.

Thanks. I was advised against a monitor but ill look again.

For 400 quid moonitor will have smaller screen. But much better quality rock solid display and text at that price point. Much better in the eyes. They're designed for all day computer work. Go for IPS. You'll get very limited HDR. You will get freesync now. No sound. But controller has a headphone jack and monitor will have speaker out. For smart TV, if that's requires use a Chromecast or firestick. Plus no TV license required. Plus it can be used for office , school work. Takes up much less space.

It's a good option.

I got a 32 inch AOC 1440p freesync IPS monitor in Amazon sale for about 180 euro a year ago. Rock solid beautiful picture. RDR2 looks beautiful on it with an Xbox One X. I've run the same setup on an LG B9 OLED which does look incredible but that's in the family room, so I'm limited to when/what I can run on Xbox there. And it cost at least 5 times the price.

I'm clueless. So would a monitor need a separate speaker? Are curved monitors any good?

I'm clueless. So would a monitor need a separate speaker? Are curved monitors any good?

Yes, extra speakers . Anything that'll take a headphone jack will do. I bet you have speakers lying around. I just use headphones connected to the Xbox controller. Built in speakers on the cheaper TVs are usually no great anyway.

Not sure curved makes much of a difference to be honest. Except increase price.

Sorry for giving you more options!

A TV will give you everything and a bigger screen. I'd say there will be some decent ones on offer for 400 quid with black Friday sales. And at that price it's not that big a risk. Fine for TV and games, but less versatile than a monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Wolfgang Megahertz

Bought this guy a couple of weeks ago. Very impressed with it. Highly recommended.

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/samsung-qe55q90t

Does everything you'd want for Series X, aside from Dolby vision. Fantastic picture and surprisingly great sound too.

Bought this guy a couple of weeks ago. Very impressed with it. Highly recommended.

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/samsung-qe55q90t

Does everything you'd want for Series X, aside from Dolby vision. Fantastic picture and surprisingly great sound too.

Think that's what il be going for, due to gaming habits im ruling the LG CX out in fear of image burn.

Whered you get it and how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

joe123 wrote: »
    Think that's what il be going for, due to gaming habits im ruling the LG CX out in fear of image burn.

Have a look at richersounds.
    They are better to deal with than most. Ask them on their thread on boards and make your own mind up.
    All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Wolfgang Megahertz

joe123 wrote: »

Got it from Currys. Chose it over LG CX for same reason. €1499.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

What about the series S? Given it does not do 4k, whats a good option for 1080p @ 120hz?

Looking for something between 30-40 in.

• Advertisement

Robertr wrote: »
    What about the series S? Given it does not do 4k, whats a good option for 1080p @ 120hz?

Looking for something between 30-40 in.

At that size you are probably better off going for a gaming monitor?

I dont think TV's in the 30-40' really come recommended. And majority of Tv's are 4k by default now.

Advertisement