Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New tv for series x

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭Varik

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    was going to buy the Sony 65 xh900 but some people are saying that the update to make the hdmi 2.1 is broken and messes up the tv, will wait till the new consoles are out and people are using their Sony tvs hooked up to the console to see if I commit to buying the xh900,

Ye there's some weirdness with the Sony's but it's not the HDMI 2.1, Sony non answer was about bandwidth limitations but the same issue effects it on 1080@120 too which is much lower and HDMI 2.0 is capable of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I was actually going to buy the Sony 55” today. If there’s an issue with the hdmi 2.1 I’ll leave it for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

riclad wrote: »
    If you want to play games in 4k make sure it has hdmi 2.1 read a review of the TV to make sure it has low latency .
    I think 8k is just Bs hype, no games are going to be made for 8k this generation no one has 8k tvs
    Will all games be able to run in 4k 120 htz mode
    It's too early to say
    Don't buy a TV if hdmi 2.1 us not mentioned in the specification listing
    It's probably hdmi 2. O

Most reviewers are saying proper HDR is more important that HDMI 2.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Best to wait until the new consoles are publically tested with new games on the new TVs. They're will be incompatibilities, bugs, issues. I'd wait for the dust to settle. I'd say you'll get a much better and fully compatible TV at a much better price in a year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,868 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    Best to wait until the new consoles are tested with new games on the new TVs. They're will be incompatibilities, bugs, issues. I'd wait for the dust to settle. I'd say you'll get a much better and fully compatible TV at a much better price in a year or so.

You’ll always get a better tv in a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    Best to wait until the new consoles are publically tested with new games on the new TVs. They're will be incompatibilities, bugs, issues. I'd wait for the dust to settle. I'd say you'll get a much better and fully compatible TV at a much better price in a year or so.

So not the same issue as with the Sony TV, but there's a bunch of AV receivers that have a HDMI 2.1 bug that just flashes a black screen and that actually is a HDMI 2.1 bug with a chip from Panasonic that's used by a few different brands.

Cyrus wrote: »
    You’ll always get a better tv in a year

Different this time since consoles and TVs are moving to hdmi 2.1 HDR 4k ... much faster refresh rates etc etc Also so far the next gen games have not been tested publically .. so you are being an early adopter if you buy now.

What I'm saying is that there are a load of specs flying around and there are going to be bugs and issues in the implementation of these specs. Also, it really is a minefield ... So for example QLED + game mode for better response time could mean poorer HDR on certain TVs.

You might as well let digital foundry and rtings etc test these setups before you go splashing your cash. They only reason I wouldn't wait is if Brexit kicks prices up for a period. ie less choice. Or you see a genuine bargain. Or you know exactly what you want. LG OLEDs seem to be the TV which has the tech covered but they are expensive. Budget/medium price TVs will have gotchas.

I would definitely wait until your TV of choice is tested with your console of choice. Any issues should be public by the end of November. Eg rtings, Amazon reviews, av forums. Especially if you are spending a decent amount of cash.

Anyway something to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    was going to buy the Sony 65 xh900 but some people are saying that the update to make the hdmi 2.1 is broken and messes up the tv, will wait till the new consoles are out and people are using their Sony tvs hooked up to the console to see if I commit to buying the xh900,
    Tilikum17 wrote: »
    I was actually going to buy the Sony 55” today. If there’s an issue with the hdmi 2.1 I’ll leave it for a few weeks.

I've been mad busy the last few weeks so have not been following in any detail, I did see mention of some owners having having lip sync issues after the update but I don't intend to use a soundbar/AV receiver so did not look into it any further. Also I'm not looking to buy until March/April so the situation should be much clearer then.

AV Forums Sony section may be useful for digging up info for those interested

Is they’re anywhere you can trade in a Sony tv against the newest one? I have a KD-55XF9005

Vinny has released a Xbox specific video (with no xbox to test on :confused:). Nothing really new, Sony with a few bugs to iron out but would still be my first choice as a bang for buck purchase.

One thing I will note that I've seen/heard of quite a bit lately is the DSE on those Samsung Q9 models, that's terrible for such an expensive TV

• Advertisement

Just spotted this on another thread and going back to what I said earlier ... there appears to be some LG OLED VRR issues ... It's definitely a first world problem but disappointing when you've spend a load of money on one of these TVs (like me).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2020/09/02/lg-acknowledges-oled-tv-vrr-issuesbut-cant-promise-a-quick-fix/?sh=30bb98e013af

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

Ok so thoughts on the Hisense U8QF (H9G) as a gaming TV? Seems well specced and well reviewed. I know it’s not hdmi 2.1 but Is bc that really necessary? 4K 60hz will be the norm and if this is a native 120hz panel can always do 1440p at 120hz if I wanted. Very few games will be 4K 120hz this upcoming gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭xtal191

Ok so thoughts on the Hisense U8QF (H9G) as a gaming TV? Seems well specced and well reviewed. I know it’s not hdmi 2.1 but Is bc that really necessary? 4K 60hz will be the norm and if this is a native 120hz panel can always do 1440p at 120hz if I wanted. Very few games will be 4K 120hz this upcoming gen.

Hisense U8QF and H9G are different TVs, the H9G and H8G are meant to be pretty good but you cant get them in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

For anyone that’s wondering about the Sony xh90. I have it with about 2 weeks now and I’m pretty happy with it , playing Xbox is a lot better quality and the 4k uhd on Netflix etc is stunning too. The tv is very reponsive aswel around the menus

rottie 11 wrote: »
    For anyone that’s wondering about the Sony xh90. I have it with about 2 weeks now and I’m pretty happy with it , playing Xbox is a lot better quality and the 4k uhd on Netflix etc is stunning too. The tv is very reponsive aswel around the menus

Does it have the hdmi 2.1 update yet?

From what I've read/seen, it's got some of the planned update but not all the features are covered yet. 120Hz update is there although with a niggle or two. VRR and ALLM to be covered in upcoming releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

As far as I know it has , the second day I had the tv it updated but how can I check ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,868 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Just bought the tv today Sony kd900h for 1k. She gave me an early Black Friday price as we’ve spent a few k there in the last few weeks.

Great price for that tv. I have the 2018 version too that will go in the next room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭recyclops

my tv supports everything except for 120FPS and also have the same issue I am having with dolby atmos and the soundbar ( think this is an Arc/eArc issue) that i had with the one X will wait a few months and see how tvs handle everything.

I need a TV for both and wondering if there will be one that will be able to handle the two of them without much configuration.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

anyone have any luck getting 4k 120 to work on the xbox series X with a Sony XH90 tv? I have the xbox on hdmi 3 which is the ARC port and I have latest firmware update and under settings selected the 4k 120hz mode in the tv. Now when I go to video settings on the xbox I can do 4k at 60 and the 120hz option is there but when I go to it the resolution reverts to 1080p, this tv is supposed to be able to to do 4k @ 120hz but so far I can't seem to get this going at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,368 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

how much are you talking for say a 32 inch tv that supports 4k and 120 fps?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Gonzo wrote: »
    anyone have any luck getting 4k 120 to work on the xbox series X with a Sony XH90 tv? I have the xbox on hdmi 3 which is the ARC port and I have latest firmware update and under settings selected the 4k 120hz mode in the tv. Now when I go to video settings on the xbox I can do 4k at 60 and the 120hz option is there but when I go to it the resolution reverts to 1080p, this tv is supposed to be able to to do 4k @ 120hz but so far I can't seem to get this going at all.

Are you using the HDMI cable that came in the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

With no sign of my Series X arriving anytime soon, I'm getting distracted with tv research!

The consensus (in this thread, on RTings etc) seems to be that the LG CX series is the current pinnacle, with the Samsung 95/90T and Sony KD-A8 series as being worthy contenders?

I get that OLED is generally better than QLED. But I did like the concept of the Samsung 95T, without being able to see it in the flesh at present. I liked the idea of the One Connect box (to basically hide away all the HDMI, LAN and power cables). The link in to Samsung-own series of sound bars seems well thought through. Plus the room my Xbox will be in is a bit brighter, so QLED might suit better.

I like the Sony android integration (I know lot's of people don't!). Never owned an LG or a Samsung.

On the other hand, the early Black Friday deals seem to be really really cutting the LG prices, relative to Sony and Samsung models. I think RTings said somewhere that the Samsung was circa 200 cheaper against LG at launch? Now it seems that a 65 inch LG is almost €250 cheaper than the other two.

So, if I can get the funds together..pay for the LG, buy a soundbar with the savings and get an electrician to sort out hiding the wires in the pillar?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

All I can say is that I have a CX. Broadband is brutal so haven't really had much of a chance to play anything Series X enhances bar Gears late last night and it looks fantastic. Next on my list is a Dolby Atmos soundbar to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

I'm in the process of getting a CX from the Richer Sounds lads over in their forum.

Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Hurrache wrote: »
    All I can say is that I have a CX. Broadband is brutal so haven't really had much of a chance to play anything Series X enhances bar Gears late last night and it looks fantastic. Next on my list is a Dolby Atmos soundbar to go with it.

Feedback required on how this works out for you and what soundbar you select!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

druss wrote: »

I was tempted by the Sonos Arc, but then I've started seeing good reviews for the Sony HT-G700 which is half the price. The Arc is probably much better but unexpected expenses, roof leaks, took my budget away from me that was pushing my towards the Arc.

In terms of the CX, it replaces a 4K Philips. The Philips was pretty good in fairness for gaming and bright and animated movies. But it really pissed me off for programs and films with dark scenes. I'd always get a lot of banding and pixelating in dark scenes and no amount of fiddling around with settings would make me happy. The OS was awful though, very slow and laggy.

Not an issue with the CX, I never really understood reviews talking about how blacks look great, but now I do. If I'm watching something in a dark room and the scene goes black, it's as if the TV disappears.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭xtal191

If it was me I'd be waiting for 2021 TVs to iron out bugs etc with HDMI 2.1 unless you're absolutely desperate for a new TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭recyclops

druss wrote: »

yeah I am interested in this as my atmos soundbar wont work and supposedly its to do with Arc/ eArc and is a well know issue ( well was on the one X and appears to have carried over)

now if I use passthrough it works but then the visual quality gets effected in essence I can have one or the other.

Advertisement