Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'I've successfully ordered a PS5' thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

carter001 wrote: »
    I ordered the PS5 in september through gamestop.paid it in full so what are the chances of getting it delivered in the post late november.

Have to say I'll be fairly pissed off if I have to wait until sometime in December to get it ..or as someone suggested paying 500 up front and then being reimbursed at a later date.

Wait and see what Gamestop have to say about this in the next few days.
    Ordered in September? I don't like your odds of getting it this side of the new year. Gamestop have been taking preorders for months.
    all of those people will be ahead of you in the queue.
    I ordered mine in early September and I'm certain I won't have it this side of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭carter001

Ordered in September? I don't like your odds of getting it this side of the new year. Gamestop have been taking preorders for months.
    all of those people will be ahead of you in the queue.
    I ordered mine in early September and I'm certain I won't have it this side of Christmas.

You could be right..but gamestop where I live didnt have a price at the time of my order.They also said I'd get it launch day but that might be presumptuous on their part.the store manager ordered it same time I did and he seemed convinced he'd get it launch day.

Oh well least I still have PS4 to tick me over.
    Thanks

tina1040 wrote: »
    How can I get one of these for Christmas? Have I missed the boat?
    You're not too late. It won't be easy, you'll have to put a bit of effort into it.

There will be several waves of consoles delivered to retailers between launch and xmas.

Some retailers took so many pre-orders that all of these are essentially spoken for, maybe into January. However other retailers stopped taking pre-orders once their launch day stock was allocated. Which means their post-launch stock will be available for order. Amazon is probably one of these.

Some retailers (eg Argos) did not take any pre-orders at all, which means all of their units are up for grabs. There will also be shops that people overlook with a few units here or there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

biggebruv wrote: »
    DMed smith's on twitter but no response the swords one is just abit past the 5km for me LOL screw that if click and collect is available I'm going down to collect it kratos style LOL

Any response?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You're not too late. It won't be easy, you'll have to put a bit of effort into it.

There will be several waves of consoles delivered to retailers between launch and xmas.

Some retailers took so many pre-orders that all of these are essentially spoken for, maybe into January. However other retailers stopped taking pre-orders once their launch day stock was allocated. Which means their post-launch stock will be available for order. Amazon is probably one of these.

Some retailers (eg Argos) did not take any pre-orders at all, which means all of their units are up for grabs. There will also be shops that people overlook with a few units here or there.

Thanks for that man.
    I am gonna try and get one. Might get lucky with Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Any response?

Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

dan786 wrote: »
    People will - some wont have a choice.

Everyone has a choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

When the PS4 was coming out I remember seeing the same posts about there being no chance of getting one by Christmas and I know several people that bought one before Xmas without a preorder. Nobody knows what the stock will be like. I'm hoping to get one and I dont have a preorder yet but its not for a kids Xmas present so it isn't the end of the world if I don't get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

It's mentioned above, but the Government's full list of essential retail outlets for level 5 is here: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/60ecc-essential-retail-outlets-for-level-4/?referrer=http://www.gov.ie/essentialretail/

One of the bullet points is: "any other retail outlet that operates an online or other remote system of ordering goods for purposes of collection at the retail outlet"

So if any retail outlet that operates a such a system is deemed essential, then travelling more than 5k to collect an order from one is presumably a permitted trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It's mentioned above, but the Government's full list of essential retail outlets for level 5 is here: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/60ecc-essential-retail-outlets-for-level-4/?referrer=http://www.gov.ie/essentialretail/

One of the bullet points is: "any other retail outlet that operates an online or other remote system of ordering goods for purposes of collection at the retail outlet"

So if any retail outlet that operates a such a system is deemed essential, then travelling more than 5k to collect an order from one is presumably a permitted trip.

That should about cover Smyths, waiting to hear from them themselves though to confirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,278 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    That should about cover Smyths, waiting to hear from them themselves though to confirm.

i wouldn't be surprised if we are waiting a while to find out. I reckon they will still have to have discussions on their side as to how they plan to deal with the next six weeks, now that it is official and the guidelines are known.

I'd be surprised if we heard something today, for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/irish-news/level-5-restrictions-smyths-toys-22871931

wife sent me this so I would stop banging on about my PS5 pre-order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Paul MCM wrote: »
    https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/irish-news/level-5-restrictions-smyths-toys-22871931

wife sent me this so I would stop banging on about my PS5 pre-order.

So click and collect will still be available, thank **** for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Markitron wrote: »
    So click and collect will still be available, thank **** for that.

Within 5km it is but this doesn't really confirm for people outside the 5km limit? Unless I'm misreading it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    Within 5km it is but this doesn't really confirm for people outside the 5km limit? Unless I'm misreading it.

You are allowed travel over the 5km for shopping and I don’t think it says that shopping is grocery only. If Smyths is open for click and collect would a PS5 preorder not be classed as shopping.

• Advertisement

If a guard stops you just tell them you are going to the nearest Smyths to pick up all the toys you are buying for Christmas. You can hardly get them in your nearest Centra. They would have to be some proper **** to turn you back for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Markitron wrote:
    If a guard stops you just tell them you are going to the nearest Smyths to pick up all the toys you are buying for Christmas. You can hardly get them in your nearest Centra. They would have to be some proper **** to turn you back for that.

There's a chemist right next to the one in Cork...thats my excuse ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

The 5km restriction is a joke, everything is closed anyways, people should still be allowed to get out for a drive or hike etc. Sure you make up anything it would not be hard to find an excuse. I'll be collecting mine anyways and I live about 15km from Smyths

There's a chemist right next to the one in Cork...thats my excuse ha.

Thankfully mine is on the way to work, I have taken the day off but I have a decent excuse if required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

The 5km restriction is a joke, everything is closed anyways, people should still be allowed to get out for a drive or hike etc. Sure you make up anything it would not be hard to find an excuse. I'll be collecting mine anyways and I live about 15km from Smyths

We are good for Smyths I think, but in general the people who got in trouble last time seemed to be those stopped twice. You can make something up but if you are stopped again on the same journey and your previous story doesn't check out (you are not heading in the right direction or whatever), then you have a big problem and could find yourself penalised. So yeah, don't make something up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

This lockdown won't be like the last one. The weather isn't there for people to bother with day trips. People won't really be hitting up seaside towns for a day out but the days out shopping that people do will be seriously impacted both for retailers and those who don't shop online.

I can shop online, I have a laptop so easier to browse. Some just have phones, older phones, smaller screen etc who shopping online is a major chore.

Browsing Smthys for toys on a small old slow phone is hard, if you just want to order one specific item and you know what you want then it's fine.

If you want a PS5 and you don't have a laptop them it's a major ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Just measured on google maps.....I'm 5.03km away from gamestop.

677693.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,286 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

RedXIV wrote: »
    Just measured on google maps.....I'm 5.03km away from gamestop.

677693.jpg

It's radius. So unless it's a straight road between you and gamestop you'll be safe enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So as it stands on launch day, Argos is likely the only store to have a chance to get a console?

As smyths / gamestop have booked up their pre-orders?

So as it stands on launch day, Argos is likely the only store to have a chance to get a console?

As smyths / gamestop have booked up their pre-orders?

Yes, unless they do another round of pre-orders, even then only Smyths would be likely to and it wouldn't be for launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Hi All,

I had been following this thread throughout but I'm not sure if I'm current on things as they stand.

Also obviously nobody has a crystal ball....But that said, what would I have to do to guarantee myself a PS5 for the Christmas holidays?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Hi All,

I had been following this thread throughout but I'm not sure if I'm current on things as they stand.

Also obviously nobody has a crystal ball....But that said, what would I have to do to guarantee myself a PS5 for the Christmas holidays?

Thanks!

Go back in time and preorder it.

Go on donedeal and pay over double the RRP.

The choice is yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks!

You can't. There are people who ordered months ago, who aren't guaranteed PS5's.

Your best bet is to check places like Argos and Tesco whom haven't taken pre-orders yet. BTW, Argos Ireland will not be taking pre-orders, so you will need to start checking there website the day before hand as reservations can go up anytime. Tesco Ireland has register for interest message on there website recently, that could be another option.

Also, check other stores who don't do pre-orders and try to order online on the day or the day before release. Shops will be closed during launch, so no going in and buying one.

To reiterate, there is no guarantee you will get one, especially at this late stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

For those who ordered delivery from Smyths are we likely to get it on launch day? Couriers gonna be mad busy over the lockdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

For those who ordered delivery from Smyths are we likely to get it on launch day? Couriers gonna be mad busy over the lockdown
    I hope so I have my ps5 for home delivery and my series x of Microsoft for home delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

From the Smyth's site.

"We will hold your pre-order for two days after the lockdown period ends, if you are unable to travel to our stores due to the 5km rule. Customers do not need to notify us if they are unable to collect their pre-order, we will automatically hold it for two days after the lockdown period ends."

So we just have to wait till December?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

So we just have to wait till December?
    IF the lockdown ends on the 2nd December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Annoyed that Smyths use a courier, an post at least deliver early. Courier could all day if they even get it to me on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Luckily for me Smyths is only 2 minutes from work. Don't think i'd be able to wait until December to get my hands on it.

Bit weird that they didn't give people the option to change to delivery

Markitron wrote: »
    Bit weird that they didn't give people the option to change to delivery

Surely they should have to.

Surely they should have to.

No mention of it, and I think they effectively shut down the notion of it by emphasising the fact that they will hold pre-orders until after the lockdown ends.

They are fine to hang onto your PS5 for 4 or 5 weeks but they ain't sending it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Downlinz

It's suggested by the taoiseach we'll enter level 3 after the six weeks which would still include the restriction on people travelling outside of their county so it's quite possible and probably likely that it still wouldn't be permitted for many people for the remainder of the year.

They should at least off the option for courier delivery, even if it costs extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

Smyths dont even charge a delivery free for these so its not like they would have had to spend extra.

Didnt do delivery as they ship with DPD and they are not the most reliable courier so didnt want it delayed till after the weekend.

I have 2 for collection in Smyths so will be getting them launch day. My local is only 5kms away but even it was further wouldnt have been an issue as working in the healthcare sector.

It would probably be a huge headache changing people over to delivery.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Penn wrote: »

Anyone able to tell me what this says? I cant see twitter in work :(

Kimbot wrote: »

Here it is

Kimbot wrote: »

They said they are working on a solution for in-store pre-orders.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

lertsnim wrote: »
    Here it is

Thank you :) I will have to call into them after work as they have my old mobile number to contact me for xbox and ps5 even after changing my number on their system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

dan786 wrote: »
    Smyths dont even charge a delivery free for these so its not like they would have had to spend extra.

Didnt do delivery as they ship with DPD and they are not the most reliable courier so didnt want it delayed till after the weekend.

I have 2 for collection in Smyths so will be getting them launch day. My local is only 5kms away but even it was further wouldnt have been an issue as working in the healthcare sector.

you would assume they ship direct from warehouse and some others to shops

and the ability for shops to send individual orders would be a huge hassle.

also if the accounts system is separate form online and instore collection, this may well be the only way for it to manage on an internal level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Bit concerned about the gamestop statement. The fact they said SOMETHING is good, but we were told to expect phonecalls 2 weeks ago if we were getting stock or not. Saying "a solution is in the works" is not that dissimilar to "hang on till we figure out what we're doing"

RedXIV wrote: »
    Bit concerned about the gamestop statement. The fact they said SOMETHING is good, but we were told to expect phonecalls 2 weeks ago if we were getting stock or not. Saying "a solution is in the works" is not that dissimilar to "hang on till we figure out what we're doing"

True, if I get some more news in my local I will post it around 6 this evening :)

If Gamestop can't even tell people that pre-ordered months ago whether or not they are actually getting a PS5 this year, I wouldn't have much faith in them solving this logistical problem in a timely and satisfying manner

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

I was told the 5km limit is only for exercise and not shopping is this wrong?

In any case the Smyth's I ordered from is 4.9km from my house so if I do get stopped every guard is gonna think I'm taking the piss and chose an address exactly on the edge

• Advertisement
Advertisement