Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'I've successfully ordered a PS5' thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Has anyone with a Smyths pre-order to collect the PS5 in-store asked what they are planning if non-essential stores are closed? I'm going to ask them if orders will be switched to home delivery.

They plan on being open, however, if that changes, customers will be notified.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

.G. wrote: »
    No one knows to be honest if there will be any more released before Christmas but obviously Sony will want as many as they can get out there. Its just a question of if they can produce and ship enough.

Keep an eye on Argos the evening before launch. At some point after the stores close on November 18th the PS5 will go live on their website for order. That's your best hope but you'll need to be fast!

It seems staggering, like monumentally staggering that a company like Sony wouldn't have a supply for Christmas.

Unless there's some more profitable drip feed strategy, surely its a monumental mess up that people who want to spend 500 quid on a ps5 can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Midlife wrote: »
    It seems staggering, like monumentally staggering that a company like Sony wouldn't have a supply for Christmas.

Unless there's some more profitable drip feed strategy, surely its a monumental mess up that people who want to spend 500 quid on a ps5 can't.

Of course it is but it's nothing new. Being a tech lover I've seen Google release phones recently with limited supplies available, Nvidia release GPU's with ridiculously low supply levels, AMD's new CPUs will likely be the same on November 5th, Xbox series X pre orders sold out so supply is limited there too.

Covid won't have helped but this is far from an isolated incident in the tech world and they're just the ones I know about.

Christmas is only a month on from release so I wouldn't be holding my breath for more availability, if they had them they'd know they have them and they'd be available now for order.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I'm gonna presume if i haven't pre-ordered, there's not a chance in hell of getting one in time for Christmas??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Midlife wrote: »

It’s not even remotely a mess by prior standards (pre-order chaos aside) - almost every piece of in demand hardware faces similar issues at launch. These are complex, bulky machines and there’s only so many that can be produced at a time. I remember the PS2 being in serious demand at Christmas of launch year. The demand for the Nvidia 30xx cards is staggering at the moment.

As ever with launch of a new console, demand and supply will stabilise after a few months. There’ll be a point (potentially as early as the first half of 2021) when there’ll be zero issue getting a PS5 whenever you want one. There may be some extra seasonal demand around Christmas, and extraordinary circumstances (a blockbuster game, for example, or the huge demand for the Switch during lockdown). But limited supply on launch day - which likely entails many months of production and stockpiling to ensure a healthy day one supply - is the norm, not the exception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'm gonna presume if i haven't pre-ordered, there's not a chance in hell of getting one in time for Christmas??

I don't think Argos did pre-orders, so they might have some (ones the staff didn't nab) available to reserve the day before.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I don't think Argos did pre-orders, so they might have some (ones the staff didn't nab) available to reserve the day before.

Ah very good, i'll keep an eye on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Ah very good, i'll keep an eye on that!

Keep and eye on this thread, someone usually posts when pre-orders go up. Your chances of getting one on launch are slim but with a little bit of effort you should be able to get one before Christmas.

Simplygames recently said they would be opening up more pre-orders btw, might be worth registering interest there.

Markitron wrote: »
    Keep and eye on this thread, someone usually posts when pre-orders go up. Your chances of getting one on launch are slim but with a little bit of effort you should be able to get one before Christmas.

Simplygames recently said they would be opening up more pre-orders btw, might be worth registering interest there.

Thanks so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Thanks so much :)
    I would also keep a eye on smyths and other retailers after launch to see if more stock come in before Christmas forget about Gamestop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Got my expected message from an in law about the PS5 "I'm heading into town to order the PS5, do I put down a deposit or pay in full?" It's for a Christmas present so she has time to be fair. I had to enlighten here about the availability of them.

I then imagined all the people who haven't a notion there was even pre orders going in asking for an Xbox or PS5 and the staff having to tell them "hit the bricks", shops heads must be melted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭jj880

The thing that is annoying me is why have a console launch so close to Christmas with the uncertainty of COVID. So now Im sitting holding off on getting my son's main present sorted in case I can get a PS5. Then if I dont its a mad scramble to get something else sorted like maybe a gaming PC. I have never had an issue with console launches before but in these times I feel it's poor form.

And see if I get 1 and they come out with some bullsh!t next year like the PS5 Pro that you need so you can run VR without lag they can fvck off. That'll be the last play station I buy.

jj880 wrote: »
    So now Im sitting holding off on getting my son's main present sorted in case I can get a PS5. Then if I dont its a mad scramble to get something else sorted like maybe a gaming PC. I have never had an issue with console launches before but in these times I feel it's poor form.

This really is no different than any other major console launch. The PS2, PS4 and Wii were all pretty much identical to this.
    And see if I get 1 and they come out with some bullsh!t next year like the PS5 Pro that you need so you can run VR without lag they can fvck off. That'll be the last play station I buy.

The PS3 and PS4 both took 3 years to release hardware revisions, I don't know why you would be worried about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The thing that is annoying me is why have a console launch so close to Christmas with the uncertainty of COVID. So now Im sitting holding off on getting my son's main present sorted in case I can get a PS5. Then if I dont its a mad scramble to get something else sorted like maybe a gaming PC. I have never had an issue with console launches before but in these times I feel it's poor form.

As someone who worked in games retail for plenty of console releases, this is nothing new. Christmas 2005 for the Wii was a particular nightmare I don't think I will ever forget.

I also don't see how this is Sonys fault, if you thought your son would want a ps5 then surely you should have pre ordered as soon as you could?

I have bought many consoles at launch. I have no issue with pre orders, queues etc.

Hardware revisions aside what I'm saying is this year is different. I feel its poor form having a launch so close to Christmas. Stock levels may turn out to be a fraction of previous launches. In my opinion these consoles should have been launched earlier or postponed until later.

I have bought many consoles at launch. I have no issue with pre orders, queues etc.

Hardware revisions aside what I'm saying is this year is different. I feel its poor form having a launch so close to Christmas. Stock levels may turn out to be a fraction of previous launches. In my opinion these consoles should have been launched earlier or postponed until later.

There was more chance of covid vanishing before Christmas than Sony postponing the launch. Stock levels will probably be similar to previous PlayStation launches but the demand has gone up.

I remember people arriving on the morning of the ps4 launch just expecting to be able to pick one up, they had no clue about preorders and seemed very put out when told they most likely wouldn't have one for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭recyclops

when you say no issue with pre orders do you mean youo pre ordered the other consoles you got at launch or you didnt?

If you did then I don't see why the ps5 is different as many said here you could have pre ordered the day it was announced with gamestop or waiting and pre ordered through different outlets like thousands did.

Hardware revisions aside what I'm saying is this year is different. I feel its poor form having a launch so close to Christmas.

It is launching on the 19th of November. The PS4 launched on the 29th of November, the Wii-U launched on the 30th of November, the 360 launched on the 2nd of December, the Wii launched on the 8th of December.

I get what you are saying but the timing of this launch is nothing out of the ordinary.

This thread is interesting. It's almost like fanatical Sony fans wont hear a word against them and are ignoring my point about COVID uncertainty.
    In the past I pre-ordered some consoles and others I did not. Always play station.

I think it would have been considerate of Sony to put customers worries before greed this year for the sake of higher Christmas sales. COVID has been around since the start of the year. They could have launched early 2021.

If people are happy with a pre-order and think they are guaranteed a console this year. Fair enough. It may turn out they have nothing to worry about. I hope they are right and it doesnt turn into a sh!t show.

Will I still get the PS5 next year if I dont get one for xmas? I probably will.

I am miles away from sony fanboy ( gave my preorder away as i have a series X arriving) but this is nothing to do with sony greed its the normal time for console launches as per previous models, they have more available than previous launches so why would they not launch it if anything people are happier its launching with all the covid nonsense.

Covid has helped the videogame industry both from MS and Sony persepective and people who wanted one seem to be getting them and having their ducks in a row.

• Advertisement

This thread is interesting. It's almost like fanatical Sony fans wont hear a word against them and are ignoring my point about COVID uncertainty.
    In the past I pre-ordered some consoles and others I did not. Always play station.

I think it would have been considerate of Sony to put customers worries before greed this year for the sake of higher Christmas sales. COVID has been around since the start of the year. They could have launched early 2021.

If people are happy with a pre-order and think they are guaranteed a console this year. Fair enough. It may turn out they have nothing to worry about. I hope they are right and it doesnt turn into a sh!t show.

Will I still get the PS5 next year if I dont get one for xmas? I probably will.

I'm not even getting a ps5 at launch so have no Sony fanatic hat on(unless my wife surprises me with one).

I just don't see your point at all, what would postponing the launch have done?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

I'm not even getting a ps5 at launch so have no Sony fanatic hat on(unless my wife surprises me with one).

I just don't see your point at all, what would postponing the launch have done?
    It would do notting like when ps3 launch on 23 march 2007 in EU.Then in japan and us in November 2006 it only annoyed European and it still sold out when it launch.

rob808 wrote: »
    It would do notting like when ps3 launch on 23 march 2007 in EU.Then in japan and us in November 2006 it only annoyed European and it still sold out when it launch.

Yea the PS3's delay seriously hurt it in Europe, the price was obviously gonna be a problem anyway but a lot of people just bought a 360 or a Wii instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

The Wii launch was insane. Demand was so high I got a phone call from the place I ordered saying they'd be selling it in of it didn't pick it up on launch day on time.

fixXxer wrote: »
    The Wii launch was insane. Demand was so high I got a phone call from the place I ordered saying they'd be selling it in of it didn't pick it up on launch day on time.

The PS2 was the craziest one I remember, the bloke in Smyths handed me mine in a black bag so no one would see the box.

nights of refreshing the old argos stockchecker and then begging my dad to drive me to Longford resulted in me nabbing one.

I had to do something similar to a family member. I managed to nab one for her on release day in the shop I was working in but she had to drive the 25 miles to collect it that day, if it was there at closing time it was available for sale the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Good to see launch day veterans still around sharing stories :D

Worst launch for me was the PS4 one. I had the console pre-ordered way in advance and had no trouble getting one, but the midnight launch I went to was a farce. It was the GS on Henry St, was ****ing freezing and queue was full of total scangers. They let everyone in first to pay but they ****ed up the queue system so this took forever, when I finally got to the top of the queue they wouldn't accept my ID despite me having the actual receipts of all of the payments I made. As soon as the queue for all the paying was done they had a full band set up outside that started playing full-volume right next to the ****ing queue. My head was ****ing killing me after 20 seconds. For some reason it also took them ages to actually hand out the consoles.

I am NEVER doing a midnight launch again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

My office was beside a Smyths at the time. I went into work logged on, and then popped out to grab the Wii after the initial rush. The Wii was a great little console.

Advertisement