Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crimes that have stayed with you for years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The murder of Suzanne Crapper in the UK.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

coinop wrote: »
    What would be true justice, in your opinion? Hanging from a noose?

Brendan Smith sexually abused 75 children over four decades ruining each and every one of those childrens lives. For that he got a 4 year sentence in prison. Irrespective of his age his sentence should have ensured that he would never again walk about in society as a free man. That would have been justice, not a pathetic 4 year prison sentence for a serial paedophile.

The unsolved murders of Abi and Libby from Delphi, Indiana.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Abigail_Williams_and_Liberty_German

This is the case that has caught my attention ever since it happened. Gray Hughes on Youtube has made some great videos on the subject. One of the few on Youtube that isn't a spoofer out to make a quick buck.

Whenever I hear 'down the hill' I immediately think of the killer's voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Be right back

The Soham murders and Ian Huntley was one that always comes to mind, the way he went on tv appealing for info on their disappearance was thoroughly ****ed.

I remember watching him and Maxine Carr being interviewed on t.v. and getting weird vibes off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think Graham Dwyers crimes will live long in the memory. Especially following the trial, day after day more shocking details came out. Just when you thought you couldnt be shocked any further it comes out that he enjoyed stabbing women while having sex with them, it was real WTF stuff.

Then the fact he had gotten away with the murder for around 18 months but cracking it all came down to a Garda getting in a lake to retrieve a bag that contained a set of keys and handcuffs. The keys had a Tesco clubcard fob on the ring which linked them back to Elaine o'Hara. The case would never have been solved without that Garda being so persistent.

And that great Garda would not have spotted the bag had it not been a hotter than average summer with no rain, resulting in the water level being lower than usual.
    I can’t believe how stupid Dwyer was to just chuck a bag containing incriminating evidence off a bridge.
    And one theory I have on that case is, he left her tied up out in the bush as part of her punishment along with various stabs and whatever torture he was inflicting, but he was expecting she would still be alive when he goes back in the morning or few hrs later, and they both go home together. But she doesn’t make it. Maybe he could have got only manslaughter if he went with that story.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

The unsolved murders of Abi and Libby from Delphi, Indiana.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Abigail_Williams_and_Liberty_German

This is the case that has caught my attention ever since it happened. Gray Hughes on Youtube has made some great videos on the subject. One of the few on Youtube that isn't a spoofer out to make a quick buck.

Whenever I hear 'down the hill' I immediately think of the killer's voice.

Unsolved missing person's cases where there is video or audio evidence send a chill down my spine. Have you ever heard of the case of Amber Tuccaro in rural Canada? She accepted a lift with a stranger but soon felt uneasy when she sensed something was wrong. While in the car, she cleverly phoned her brother, who was serving time in prison, as she knew the call would be automatically recorded. The original call was 15 mins long but only 1 min of the call has ever been released. The case remains unsolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

The two crimes that have stuck with me the most to this day are both unsolved missing person cases. Both went missing in Dublin. Philip Cairns and Trevor Deeley. No bodies have ever been found so i'm presuming they were more sinister than accidents.

What resonates most with me about Philip Cairns was the fact he was the same age as me when he went missing. I was 12 and in last year of primary school and even though i'm not from the same area of Dublin there were missing posters of Philip on lamp posts in my area. I also had to walk through laneways to get to school and for a while after he went missing we were advised to avoid the lanes and go the longer way adding 10 minutes to the wallk.

We may have been young and naieve in many ways but hearing of Philip disappearing on his way to school and his schoolbag turning up in a laneway a couple of days later was frightening to us as kids. Seeing his posters every day was a reminder that not everything in this world was innocent. We knew there was a dark side out there.

Those posters stayed up until they withered away with the passing of time. It haunts me to this day.

Unsolved missing person's cases where there is video or audio evidence send a chill down my spine. Have you ever heard of the case of Amber Tuccaro in rural Canada? She accepted a lift with a stranger but soon felt uneasy when she sensed something was wrong. While in the car, she cleverly phoned her brother, who was serving time in prison, as she knew the call would be automatically recorded. The original call was 15 mins long but only 1 min of the call has ever been released. The case remains unsolved.

The name didn't ring any bells but as soon as I heard the audio I immediately remembered the case. I remember John Lordan covering it a couple of years ago. Terrifying stuff.

I know police are reluctant to release too much info in cases for many reasons but there's no doubt many cases have been bungled by police keeping things too close to their chest. I hope this isn't another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Channon Gail Christian, aged 21, and Hugh Christopher Newsom, Jr., aged 23, were from Knoxville, Tennessee. They were kidnapped on the evening of January 6, 2007, when Christian's vehicle was carjacked, and taken to a rental house, where both of them were raped, tortured, and murdered.

eHte51k.jpg

Newsom's body was discovered near a set of nearby railroad tracks. He had been bound, blindfolded, gagged, and stripped naked from the waist down. He had been shot in the back of the head, neck, and back, and his body had been set on fire.

Christian died after hours of torture, sustaining traumatic brain injuries and suffering injuries to her vagina, anus, and mouth due to repeated sexual assault. Before killing her, in an effort to remove DNA evidence, her attackers poured bleach down her throat and scrubbed her body with it. She was bound with curtains and strips of bedding, with her face covered with a trash bag and her body stashed in five large trash bags. These were placed inside a residential waste disposal unit and covered with sheets and garbage from Wendy's. The medical examiner said there was evidence that Christian slowly suffocated to death.

Four males and one female were arrested, charged, and convicted in the case, four of whom had multiple prior felony convictions.

murders-of-channon-christian-and-christopher-newsom-ae6c8f27-8cfa-42e9-a79c-903ab8e744d-resize-750.jpeg

What crime cases were so horrible that they have stuck in your mind years after reading about them?

This has always been my number one case in the "can't forget" category of true crime, not just for its beyond belief cruelty and evil, but what the poor families have had to endure since the legal journey began. See #KnoxvilleHorror for more on that. Corrupt judge, torturous retrials, it has gone on and on and on. I pray for them still, as my heart and mind still cannot absorb what it truly must be like to bear what they have had to :(

The thread is really good, lots of compelling cases to look through and even a couple I wasn't aware of. Thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Anthony Campbell from Smithfield was a horrible one. Young trainee plumber shot dead because he happened to be working in a house when a gunman arrived.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Guido Nasi

The 17 year old Italian exchange student that was struck on the head with a bottle in Fairview Park in 1999.

The culprit (drunk from East Wall) asked him for a cigarette and then tried to rob him.

He was left paralysed. It was a great shame on this country. My blood was boiling at the time.

Guido Nasi never felt any animosity towards Ireland.

Others:

The Brian Murphy 'Club Annabel' killing

Fred and Rosemary West

The Moors Murders

James Bulger

Philip Cairns' disappearance

Anna Kriegel

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think the Josef Fritzel case sticks in the mind too. It was bad enough him having sex and children with his own daughter but then imprisoning those children as sex slaves in an underground dungeon was on another level altogether.

It opened the worlds eyes to how far paedophiles would go to satisfy their urges. iirc a very similar case to Fritzel arose about a year later in Israel but it didnt garner anywhere near the same publicity. Then another one popped up in Germany, again very little publicity. I still reckon to this day that by the law of averages there are children locked in dungeons in other places by paedos. I wouldnt rule it out that it could be happening here in Ireland or anywhere really. After all kidnapped children in a dungeon would be some sort of holy grail for a paedo, they can get it away with it for years and maybe even forever if they are careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Warning . This is not easy to read.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-49589160

There is a documentary

https://youtu.be/lsXFcbPbvI4

I won't forget this story

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

The moment I saw this thread, I thought immediately of Dunblane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Colonel Russell Williams - His police interview is simply essential viewing.

Trevor Deely - He pops into my head regularly, there was a massive thread on him here a few years ago. Incredible reading. Think it has since been deleted, though.

Deirdre Jacob - Another Kildare missing person. How does a young woman vanish without trace in a large town in broad daylight?

Phyllis Murphy - Yet another Kildare person who vanished in 1979, her body was found a month later. Her killer was eventually caught in 1998 when DNA became a thing. The fcuking scumbag is out now. There's a great documentary of this on Youtube which was just recently uploaded.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Marc Dutroux

Heineken kidnap

And ages ago the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_Dutch_school_hostage_crisis and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_Dutch_train_hijacking school and train hi-jacking.
    Dutch prime minister more or less send in the marines with a shoot to kill order.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwHpX-8dSDc

144 bullets were found back in the bodies of the hi-jackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Not so much a crime more a mystery

The disappearance of Trevor deely.

Worked in that area of dublin a number of years ago and would think of it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Philip Cairns, poor kid that disappeared from ballyroan in 1986, unsolved to this day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Be right back

Ivan Milat, Australian serial killer. Stuff of nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StefanFal

Channon Gail Christian, aged 21, and Hugh Christopher Newsom, Jr., aged 23, were from Knoxville, Tennessee. They were kidnapped on the evening of January 6, 2007, when Christian's vehicle was carjacked, and taken to a rental house, where both of them were raped, tortured, and murdered.

eHte51k.jpg

Newsom's body was discovered near a set of nearby railroad tracks. He had been bound, blindfolded, gagged, and stripped naked from the waist down. He had been shot in the back of the head, neck, and back, and his body had been set on fire.

Eat eggs in hell.Christian died after hours of torture, sustaining traumatic brain injuries and suffering injuries to her vagina, anus, and mouth due to repeated sexual assault. Before killing her, in an effort to remove DNA evidence, her attackers poured bleach down her throat and scrubbed her body with it. She was bound with curtains and strips of bedding, with her face covered with a trash bag and her body stashed in five large trash bags. These were placed inside a residential waste disposal unit and covered with sheets and garbage from Wendy's. The medical examiner said there was evidence that Christian slowly suffocated to death.

Four males and one female were arrested, charged, and convicted in the case, four of whom had multiple prior felony convictions.

murders-of-channon-christian-and-christopher-newsom-ae6c8f27-8cfa-42e9-a79c-903ab8e744d-resize-750.jpeg

What crime cases were so horrible that they have stuck in your mind years after reading about them?

You have a twisted mind posting this. Jesus Christ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

StefanFal wrote: »
    You read the thread title. You obviously read the OP. Then you quote it.

You've some nerve calling the OP twisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

StefanFal wrote: »

The thread is called Crimes that have stayed with you for years, not "Crimes which only I want to read about because im of a nervous disposition". You have some cheek to make that comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think the Josef Fritzel case sticks in the mind too. It was bad enough him having sex and children with his own daughter but then imprisoning those children as sex slaves in an underground dungeon was on another level altogether.

It opened the worlds eyes to how far paedophiles would go to satisfy their urges. iirc a very similar case to Fritzel arose about a year later in Israel but it didnt garner anywhere near the same publicity. Then another one popped up in Germany, again very little publicity. I still reckon to this day that by the law of averages there are children locked in dungeons in other places by paedos. I wouldnt rule it out that it could be happening here in Ireland or anywhere really. After all kidnapped children in a dungeon would be some sort of holy grail for a paedo, they can get it away with it for years and maybe even forever if they are careful.

This was the one I came in to post.

Shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Germanwings flight 9525.
    Over 150 poor people murdered by a sick nut job flying the plane. The absolute terror they must have gone through in those last few seconds knowing they were all out to plough into the mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Liverpool fans running rampant in Heysel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,866 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

These three were horrific.

Manuela Riedo killed in Galway by Gerald Barry while he was on bail. She was an only child. Terrible.

Jill Meagher in Melbourne, killed by another who should have been on remand, Adrian Bayley.

Karen Buckley, murdered in Glasgow. A very sad case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Liverpool fans running rampant in Heysel.

Stop! Do you want us all to get banned. Hillsborough are the only deaths we are allowed mention when it comes to Liverpool F.C. supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Carodh wrote: »
    Dessie O Hare the Border Fox kidnapping DentistJohn O Grady. I was only 13 years old and It seemed to be the only news back then. The Garda did checkpoints all over the country and I remember them coming onto our bus doing a check. I used walk 30 years in the dark to my uncles to get a lift to the bus & I was absolutely petrified as we lived in a real wooded area and even to this day I get a chill down my back if I hear his name mentioned.

I remember the Shargar incident. Gardai went beyond the call of duty to find him. Unfortunately to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

Germanwings flight 9525.
    Over 150 poor people murdered by a sick nut job flying the plane. The absolute terror they must have gone through in those last few seconds knowing they were all out to plough into the mountain.

The audio from the black box recording is haunting. While passengers are screaming and banging on the door to gain entry into the cockpit, all you can hear is the pilot breathing heavily determined to crash the plane and take everyone with him...and then the eerie silence.

Advertisement