Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crimes that have stayed with you for years

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

The Trevor Deeley case still gets me to this day.

I remember when it was announced and his posters were on every street lamp post in town. No matter where you turned, his face was there. It was a constant baffle as to how someone would just disappear. It was my first time knowing of someone going missing and never being found. I didn't know of him personally but just to know that someone can just vanish with no trace. Seeing is parents on the telly asking for information broke my heart. I remember asking my mam why someone would run away and not tell anyone (I was a kid remember).

I've read some stories that were on boards a few years ago and some of the conspiracy theories were shocking to the point you taught some of the reasonings were believable. I saw the videos of the men at the bank when he entered and I have woundered what their involvements were. None of it is coincidence as it seems to obvious that these guys had an involment. To this day there has not been one single trace of his whereabouts and to know his case might never be solved his heartbreaking. His family have to continue their lives without a son, a brother, an uncle, a cousin and so forth. How do you do it? I really do hope one day they gather some information, however big or small, I'm sure it would help them.

Fiona Pender is another one that hits me too. I remember learning about her in school. I've no idea how the subject came up but my primary school teacher at the time was discussing missing people and her name came up. Disappeared with no trace and still to this day, nothing.

Jon Jonsson the Icelandic man. Gone without a trace. His poor wife must have had an awful shock when she realised.

I understand the thread is on crimes but these missing people have been involved in crimes somehow. Murdered? Or dissappeared on their own? Or they ran away for a reason?

It's shocking how no one ever comes forward and why can people get away with their murder, if either of these people were murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Jon Jonsson the Icelandic man. Gone without a trace. His poor wife must have had an awful shock when she realised.

Strange one that for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

Strange one that for sure.

There is footage of him leaving the hotel and then it turns off after that. No idea if he walked down the Whitehall road towards the airport or the other way towards town. There's no footage of him on buses and not one taxi man has come forward to confirm they collected him or dropped him off anywhere. Just gone. The shops down the road didn't have any footage of him walking by. There has been rumours of a gambling tournament around the time of his dissappearance so no one knows if there's a link there. From what I know there's still a huge poster of him on the Whitehall Road.

Febreeze wrote: »
    There is footage of him leaving the hotel and then it turns off after that. No idea if he walked down the Whitehall road towards the airport or the other way towards town. There's no footage of him on buses and not one taxi man has come forward to confirm they collected him or dropped him off anywhere. Just gone. The shops down the road didn't have any footage of him walking by. There has been rumours of a gambling tournament around the time of his dissappearance so no one knows if there's a link there. From what I know there's still a huge poster of him on the Whitehall Road.

You'd think in this day and age that CCTV would capture your every move. Not in his case though. It is kind of strange no doubt. But who knows what happened. From what I can remember there was a Poker Tournament in the hotel alright. But nothing to connect that to his disappearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

coinop wrote: »
    The audio from the black box recording is haunting. While passengers are screaming and banging on the door to gain entry into the cockpit, all you can hear is the pilot breathing heavily determined to crash the plane and take everyone with him...and then the eerie silence.

Won't be listening to that.

• Advertisement

YFlyer wrote: »
    Won't be listening to that.

Me neither. It's a bit voyeuristic or whatever the equivalent word is for audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

Casey Anthony...
    Also, the Legend of Jeff: :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Junko Furuta, The Concrete-encased high school girl murder case

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Junko_Furuta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

Adam Lanza

A video of him recently surfaced. I have no words for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

The most heartbreaking was the Junko Furita case. My heart breaks for her.

Also, The Fritzl case - I just couldn't believe it when the story came to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Liverpool fans running rampant in Heysel.
    Edgware wrote: »
    Stop! Do you want us all to get banned. Hillsborough are the only deaths we are allowed mention when it comes to Liverpool F.C. supporters.

Very edgy lads well done, fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

The Club Anabel case for me, I was young when it happened but it was the first sign I had noticed of the massive class divide we have in this country, having money can literally help you get away with murder in Irelad.

If those lads had been from Dublin 1 rather than being D4 types, life sentences would've been handed down.

Same goes for the young lad who killed Sean Nolan outside his house in Ballsbridge and was handed a joke sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

God that's a horrific case. That poor poor girl. Devastating to read what she suffered through.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

God that's a horrific case. That poor poor girl. Devastating to read what she suffered through.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Febreeze wrote: »

That case is a real head scratcher, he was on CCTV but then vanished into thin air. The only thing I can think of is that he did indeed take a taxi somewhere but the driver was an unlicensed and illegal migrant who wont come forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Fred and Rose West was all sorts of f*cked up

Mad watching the news for 3 or 4 days straight as body after body was found when they dug up the garden and under the cellar

Pre internet and continuous news cycle obviously so you had to wait til the evening news came on for the latest updates

When all the details of what they did do their victims came out it only added to it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Be right back

The Christopher Watts case from the States is another terrible case.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,822 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Carodh wrote: »
    Dessie O Hare the Border Fox kidnapping DentistJohn O Grady. I was only 13 years old and It seemed to be the only news back then. The Garda did checkpoints all over the country and I remember them coming onto our bus doing a check. I used walk 30 years in the dark to my uncles to get a lift to the bus & I was absolutely petrified as we lived in a real wooded area and even to this day I get a chill down my back if I hear his name mentioned.

This for me too... the sentences handed down to O’Hare and cohorts were paltry considering what they did as regards the initial crime and then trying to shoot and murder a Garda... still a MASSIVE fûck up by the Gardai, sending two Gardai only whom one was armed to the house on Carnlough, expecting trouble which they got.

My grandparents lived further up on Carnlough, in the ‘keyhole’ , we went to visit them on the day, but we were turned back, like something out of the Wild West, I’ll never forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

Put me off buses and Canada

The killing of Tim McLean occurred on the evening of July 30, 2008. McLean, a 22-year-old Canadian man, was stabbed, beheaded and cannibalized while riding a Greyhound Canada bus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Tim_McLean

• Advertisement

There was a little boy who died in Midleton Robert Houlahan. Tragic, child is dead, but perp is out now for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

The horrifying case of the 2 little girls from a poor Arab quarter in Brussels who were kidnapped and held in an underground torture chamber close to their hime in Belgium - there had been a child who witnessed their kidnap and gave almost the entire ref & a description of the man - a inown convicted paedophile who had a distinctive car but due to the bungling of the federal police & infighting & politics they missed the lead & messed the case up entirely. The little girls were held underground and raped and tortured for years. Horrifying. 199O’s. The whole city shut diwn and was in disbelief at the utter incompetence of the oolice. Every building and lamppost had a white ribbon tied around it to signify their deaths and public sympathy. Chilling.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Dutroux

Madeline McCann - a horror story that gets even more revolting to think about and chilling with every passing week and update. God help her and her family.

Featured recently in the Indo - the American student, last seen in Enniskerry with a man buying cake & tea for her at that teas ship at the minument in the village, and possibly later in Johnny Foxes thou this is now disputed. Annie McCarrick. Her father was a retured poiceman in New York and flew to Ireland and could not believe the incompetence and utter disinterest by the Irish gardaí - her bags of groceries left unopened in the kitchen table, and her friends coming the following day for dinner - she vanished into thin air after going walking in the villages around Dublin mountains. Her father offered 100,000 reward but nobody ever came forward and she dissappeared into thin air.

The horror of the husband of the shoplifter Margaret Ward - so called ‘homeless’ itinerant with multiple kids - who broke into an 80+ year old frail widows house in Bray, beat her to a pulp and threatened to cut off her fingers to get the gold from her wedding ring off her fingers. The lady was so terrorised that she never recovered and could never go back to live in her home again but had to go into care.

There have been so many similar cases wuth frail elderly men and women being terrorised from their rural homes and their lifes savings being taken - including a similar story with an elderly batchelir farmer who was beaten, tied to a chair, his life savings taken, and him left to die aline and terrified over 4 long horrific days - again - criminal vermin with decades of convictions bleating their pathetic excuse stories and getting endless free legal aid to defend the indefensible.

Finally - the crime that has been 30+ years fought by the families of the teenagers burned to death in a dublin disco whose firedoors were claimed to be chained shut, and whose illegal renovations and illegal storage of highly volatile and flamable solvents close to the dance floor are alleged to have been a major contributiry cause of the inferno that killed, mutilated and ruined so many lives. They are atill fighting for justice. The Stardust.

And to add final year of nightmares for oeople who are chilled to the bone by accidents and crimes involving fire, The Stationhouse fire in New Jersey. Overcrowdinng, misuse of license, illegal use of pyritechnicics. The videos on the survivors stories are harrowing. Worse still, the entire event and devestating fire was being filmed for a fire safety promo. If you were involved or affected by the Stardust or any fire I would advise you never to watch it. The most calm and chilling 8 minute horrorstory that will have you up nights in cold sweats and checking your fire alarms and childrens bedrooms and electronics hourly.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The Great Train Robbery

Reckon I know a lot more about it now than I ever did at the time....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government they survive as soldiers of fortune....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Manuela Riedo killed in Galway by Gerald Barry while he was on bail. She was an only child. Terrible.

I'll never forget that poor girl. It happened on waste ground beside 'The Line', which is a narrow, poorly lit shortcut into the city centre from the suburb of Renmore. I could see the pathologist's tent set up where she was found from my office window.

Poor girl was a 17 year old student on a summer exchange from Switzerland.
    Barry was a scumbag who had previously served time for manslaughter. He shouldn't have been on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Aside from those already mentioned, Rachel O’Reilly’s case has always stayed with me.
    How that man had the arrogance to sit next to her grieving mother on the Late Late Show, pleading for information from the public about his wife’s killer when he had murdered her in cold blood, is something I’ll never comprehend.
    Disgusting human being who should never be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Junko Furuta, The Concrete-encased high school girl murder case

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Junko_Furuta

I remember reading this on a reddit thread. Horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Oglaigh84

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Without doubt the Jamie Bulger murder in 1993, where a 2 year-old toddler was abducted from a Liverpool shopping centre by two 10 year-old boys, horrifically tortured and murdered. I didn't think it possible that 10 year-olds could do something so heinous!

His name was James.
    His mother has spoken about the pain caused by people using the name Jamie. He was never called that

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Joe Kane wrote: »
    Brendan O'Donnell murdering Fr, Joe Walsh, Imelda Riney & her little daughter over the course of a surreal 4 days will always be on my mind. I knew him fairly well from living in the same parish as him.

I remember this so well. Unreal.

It was a little boy who was murdered, Imelda's son, Liam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Frank12

The murder of Paul Quinn in 2007 in Armagh in 2007 is one that stocks with me.

Advertisement