Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you consider nationalists from Northern Ireland to be Irish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well Iberia is a peninsula, but they're not all Spanish.

I get what you are saying but I don't think we're comparing apples with oranges here.

The nationalist population in NI are native to 6 counties and have been for centuries, are ethnically Irish, have Irish surnames (mostly), play Irish sports, learn Irish at school and have resisted any attempts to conform to British rule, losing themselves a lot of blood in the process to do so. The state of Northern Ireland was only created to appease the descendents of the ulster plantation with no consideration whatsoever for the wishes of the native population.

I don't see this as the same as Portugal and Spain who 'organically' if you like, have identified as two seperate nations with different cultures, different languages etc.

I do get the regional differences, i.e. Geordies and Scousers in England sometimes feel a seperate identity to the people in London, so a "Northern Irish" identity I sometimes get, but they're still part of the wider Irish umbrella nonetheless IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Shocking though not entirely surprising that 28% do not consider anyone in the Six Counties to be Irish, a view that runs directly counter to the GFA. Not sure if this is a reflection of loyalists on boards.ie, much of the southern media and establishment being aggressively partitionist, or some combination of these factors.

The Tory cabinet consider them Irish.

Boris Johnson has paraphrased Tone.

"Let us replace Protestant, Catholic Unionist and Republican with the common name of Paddy."

Shocking though not entirely surprising that 26% do not consider anyone in the Six Counties to be Irish, a view that runs directly counter to the GFA. Not sure if this is a reflection of loyalists on boards.ie, much of the southern media and establishment being aggressively partitionist, the education system being infiltrated by partitionists, or some combination of these factors.

Even though I'm not from here I have heard these sentiments expressed myself whilst living here.

I was at Monaghan bus station just last month, getting a bus over the border to Armagh City (only 30 minute journey) and whilst getting on I heard a couple of girls getting excited saying "OMG I've never been to Northern Ireland before" whilst boarding, they had southern accents, not sure where, but it wasn't a Monaghan one.

I didn't think much of it but they sitting near me and I heard them talking about they've been to England, Scotland and Wales but never to "this part of the UK before".

They're not wrong obviously, but for some people in south, I have noticed NI is some very very different place and a distinction is made between "them" and "us".

Personally living rural Tyrone with all the GAA bunting and flags doesn't feel that different to living in rural Meath, culturally speaking. Each to their own though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Wouldn't ever ask to go to NI. A strange lot up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I think of Northern Ireland as Britain completely

Try to tell myself different but it just doesn't work, I cannot see how anyone can say it is irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I am from the South btw. Have been to Belfast a good few times but can't see any similarities or ways, and therefore it is a different country for me technically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

But do you consider Northerners who wish to identify as Irish, to be as Irish yourself?

That was what the second option in the poll was for.

The third option was for people who don't consider nordies Irish even if they played nothing but GAA, spoke fluent Irish and only held an Irish passport.

I haven't voted because I'm not Irish and only want people from the ROI to vote in it to make the results more accurate (if that's possible) but the second option would be my prefered option.

I absolutely would consider protestants/unionists to be British as anyone in England, Scotland or Wales, that's their choice and should be respected. They are of full British heritage after all.

Yeah but that wasn't an options I wouldn't force the Irish identity on anyone who doesn't want it. Fyi plenty of unionists consider themselves both Irish and British

mickdw wrote: »
    Wouldn't ever ask to go to NI. A strange lot up there.

You do realise that not everyone in NI is not atypical of what you see on the falls and shankill?

Plenty of parts of NI didn't see much of the troubles e.g. North Down, Strangford, South Down.

A lot of people in NI aren't even that political, in fact Northern Ireland consistently has the lowest voter turnout of all the UK in general elections typically, highligting how much apathy and indifference their is to politics here.

When you say "a strange place up there", if you head to say Lisnaskea in Fermanagh, Strabane, Derry, etc, they just look like normal Irish towns with normal people. I don't always notice when exactly I cross the border sometimes.

If you went to the New Lodge or the Short Strand I might agree with you, I wouldn't want to be in those places either, but they're easy to avoid.

I actually think a lot of people in the Republic know very little about the North, I used to think being on the same island they would know about NI more than the average English person does but I'm not sure they do, some of their understanding and perceptions of the place is quite an eye opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

People from Northern Ireland are Northern Irish. People from north Korea are Northern Korean. Both are two different countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

My family members up there are the same as ourselves, some political, some not, majority work to have a House, pay Bills, go on holiday,etc and want the best for their children through education, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Those born in the North of Ireland are as Irish as those born in the West of Ireland,or the south of Ireland, or the East of Ireland.

What if they are born to parents who are from Eastern Europe or Africa?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Shocking though not entirely surprising that 26% do not consider anyone in the Six Counties to be Irish, a view that runs directly counter to the GFA. Not sure if this is a reflection of loyalists on boards.ie, much of the southern media and establishment being aggressively partitionist, the education system being infiltrated by partitionists, or some combination of these factors.

Ah that's fairly agenda driven it seems. Maybe you should ask why instead of proffering your guess?

Yeah but that wasn't an options I wouldn't force the Irish identity on anyone who doesn't want it. Fyi plenty of unionists consider themselves both Irish and British

Ok fair enough.

With regards to unionists very few consider themselves Irish, have a look at the 2011 census results.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_of_Northern_Ireland#National_identity

40% identified as British ONLY, given protestants and unionists are just over 50% of the population I'm going to assume at least three quarters of them did not tick the Irish box nor the Northern Irish box or anything that said "Irish" in it.

Only 0.7% ticked British AND Irish, its not that common really.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

These forms of identity (perhaps all forms) are subjective and overlapping. Nothing is written in stone, neither by geography or allegiance.

Too much trouble has been caused by a rigid mindset of one's own or others identity, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

They're hardly Fcukin Mexican

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The hint is in the name of the island

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Ulster was the most gaelic, independent and least anglicized province of Ireland....one of the reasons they planted the province...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭normanoffside

From North and lived in Dublin for 20 years. Of course we are Irish. Go from a border villiage to another and you won't see the difference except currency.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I don't really care what southerners think, all I know is my surname is O'Neill and I live in a townland with an Irish name, if I'm not Irish then I'm sure as hell more Gaelic than some clown from the pale. As I've got older I don't really pay much attention to nationality anyway, having the same passport doesn't mean I have anything else in common with the other human, the people I view as "my own" are the ugly short autistic men of this world whether they be from Cork or China.

From North and lived in Dublin for 20 years. Of course we are Irish. Go from a border villiage to another and you won't see the difference except currency.

Did you experience any prejudice for being from up north whilst being there? Is Boards.ie a accurate representation of what 'freestaters' think about the North? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I would never have expected such an answer from you, bobbysands81

Am I wrong?

Perhaps there’s different levels of Irishness that you can enlighten me about?

Someone who is Irish is Irish regardless of where they are born.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Your Face wrote: »
    Not part of the Republic = not Irish.

You do realise you are utterly wrong don’t you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Did you experience any prejudice for being from up north whilst being there? Is Boards.ie a accurate representation of what 'freestaters' think about the North? :pac:

There are clowns everywhere including boards.ie, however Dubs (and Irish people in general) are mostly accepting of everyone once they feel you have a respect of and connection to the local place where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I think those in the 26 counties with a partitionist mindset need to understand that they have no right to appropriate our flag, our history of resistance, our language, our music, our dance, and so on, as their own - these trappings of the Irish nation belong to us all.

To think those who live south of the border have any exclusivity to the above is a combination of arrogance and stupidity - they do not and never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

You do realise you are utterly wrong don’t you?

If the socially backwards North wants to be part of our Republic, they better get used to idea of being ruled by the Dail in Dublin. We have a progressive Democracy and don't want it ruined by sectarianism and entitled bitterness.

They need to prove they're worthy to join the real Irish people - the ones who didn't cop out.

I think those in the 26 counties with a partitionist mindset need to understand that they have no right to appropriate our flag, our history of resistance, our language, our music, our dance, and so on, as their own - these trappings of the Irish nation belong to us all.

To think those who live south of the border have any exclusivity to the above is a combination of arrogance and stupidity - they do not and never will.

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

People from the ROI would have more in common with the average Englishman than with the average Nationalist from NI.

Very different values and outlooks are prevalent up there.

It's not surprising that so many don't consider them to be Irish - I think the term 'Northern Irish' is far more appropriate way of describing them myself as it recognises they are from this island but not part of our Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

People from the ROI would have more in common with the average Englishman than with the average Nationalist from NI.

Very different values and outlooks are prevalent up there.

It's not surprising that so many don't consider them to be Irish - I think the term 'Northern Irish' is far more appropriate way of describing them myself as it recognises they are from this island but not part of our Republic.

Utter drivel. So someone from Blacklion has more in common with someone from Birmingham than someone from Belcoo

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭mehico

That's your opinion, though I definitely wouldn't agree with it.

Really it's up to the individuals themselves whether they identify as Irish or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ralphyroo

I consider anyone born on the island of Ireland to be Irish but I respect the right of those in the north who identify as British to do so.
    For the moment I wouldn't agree with people from the north voting in the presidential election, only residents of the 26 counties should have a vote for any election in the republic of Ireland.
    I also was never in favour of a United Ireland for the practical reason that I pay enough tax for crap services and don't really want to get stung again. But with the brexit fiasco I'm coming round to it because the people in the north are being shafted particularly by the DUP, and I'd say its becoming clear to even those who identify as British that the only government that is standing up for them is the Irish government.

Advertisement