Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

GT89 wrote: »
    Where is the panic talk about ICU bed availability every winter? We could all end up in ICU at any given time due to RTCs, heart attacks, strokes etc. not something I spend my day worrying about it. The chances of a healthy person ending up in ICU with covid are about the same as ending up in ICU because of a car crash, heart attack, stroke, one punch assault, falling down the stairs or workplace accident.

The vulnerable can take measures to protect themselves whilst the healthy should really be getting on with their lives.
    At peak in April, 166 of our ICU beds in a single day were occupied by patients with Covid-19. It is incredible we managed to accommodate 166 patients with a single illness at the same time in ICU at any time especially if you look at the usual occupancy levels in ICU discounting or before Covid.

As per the figures you use, there are 241/283 ICUs currently occupied with 17 patients with Covid-19 cases. Can you not see why there are concerns about where to fit patients with Covid-19 requiring ICU care if we reach the same peak? Or where you would fit and how you would manage to look after the ‘healthy person’ who happened to have a car accident during a Covid surge if the ICU was already overflowing with patients with Covid?

Hospitalizations and ICU admissions are nowhere near what they were in April/May but the concern is understandable when you look at what the numbers were like in these settings just a few months ago.

Trying to source some exact figures for ICU admissions for influenza in previous winters but it has never reached the numbers Covid did.

Edited: Total admissions to ICU for influenza for 2019/2020 season is 154. People admitted to ICU and to hospital with influenza/an influenza like illness are tested for influenza. Would not necessarily be tested in the community but patients are tested in hospital setting. Total admissions to ICU with Covid to date is 455.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

its almost as if all of these things arent all that likely to happen to very large numbers of us all at once, but that a pandemic isnt comparable

i mean its almost exactly like that

i mean its that

thats the thing

let us know when that penny drops

Swine flu in 2009 was a pandemic without the extreme fearmongering. Where's the 120,000 deaths that were predicted back in March now I know the usual argument is "but it was the measures we took which stopped that" but we haven't even come anywhere even remotely close to that.

Now the measures taken may have a had a part to play but maybe the fact that the virus isn't quite as deadly as the media are making out is playing an even bigger part.

Arghus wrote: »
    Targetted measures like what.

Isolating the vulnerable and use of masks as PPE for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

But you constantly claim that mask wearing is useless, so why is it now suddenly something that you would recommend? Is the penny beginning to drop?

majcos wrote: »
    At peak in April, 166 of our ICU beds in a single day were occupied by patients with Covid-19. It is incredible we managed to accommodate 166 patients with a single illness at the same time in ICU at any time especially if you look at the usual occupancy levels in ICU discounting or before Covid.

As per the figures you use, there are 241/283 ICUs currently occupied with 17 patients with Covid-19 cases. Can you not see why there are concerns about where to fit patients with Covid-19 requiring ICU care if we reach the same peak? Or where you would fit and how you would manage to look after the ‘healthy person’ who happened to have a car accident during a Covid surge if the ICU was already overflowing with patients with Covid?

Hospitalizations and ICU admissions are nowhere near what they were in April/May but the concern is understandable when you look at what the numbers were like in these settings just a few months ago.

Trying to source some exact figures for ICU admissions for influenza in previous winters but it has never reached the numbers Covid did.

Most of those patients would likely have been in ICU anyway with other illnesses but happened to be covid positive. Everyone who dies with covid is counted as a covid death but only a small minority died of covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

s1ippy wrote: »
    Anyone know why haven't Sweden updated their cases or deaths since September 5th?

Sweden's testing seems to have slowed down a heck of a lot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Well the whole country is using masks and PPE at the moment.

What's the estimate of the amount of people in Ireland who have a underlying condition? It's something like a third isn't it?

So keep up to a third of the population under lock and key indefinitely?

Bearing in mind as well that hospitals will be effectively off limits to these people if Covid is circulating widely in the community at large, which it will be if we're making even less of an effort to suppress it than we already are.

And of course a lot of these potentially vulnerable people live with others or rely on carers, doctors and nursing staff who they will have to come into contact. You'll have to isolate these people too if covid is circulating widely in the community.

Simply "isolating the vulnerable" isn't as easy or as straightforward as it sounds.

But you constantly claim that mask wearing is useless, so why is it now suddenly something that you would recommend? Is the penny beginning to drop?

Only an N95/FFP2 mask actually works. Masks were introduced supoosedly to stop the spread but the cases have gone through the roof since they were introduced. Masks that offer actual protection would be useful for the vulnerable whilst the virus should be let run through the healthy population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Most of those patients would likely have been in ICU anyway with other illnesses but happened to be covid positive. Everyone who dies with covid is counted as a covid death but only a small minority died of covid.

What proof do you have of this, that those in ICU came in with another illness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Swine flu in 2009 was a pandemic without the extreme fearmongering. Where's the 120,000 deaths that were predicted back in March now I know the usual argument is "but it was the measures we took which stopped that" but we haven't even come anywhere even remotely close to that.

Now the measures taken may have a had a part to play but maybe the fact that the virus isn't quite as deadly as the media are making out is playing an even bigger part.

Swine flu was without fear mongering because it hardly killed anybody

USA swine flu excess deaths were 12,500
    https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/08/13/fact-check-swine-flu-spread-rapidly-but-not-deadly-covid-19/5577001002/

COVID excess deaths in the USA are over 250,000
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/covid-19s-other-unnecessary-death-toll/

There is fear mongering because COVID is the third leading cause of death in the US for the 7th month running now.

In late March/April, testing capacity was still limited so criteria for testing was quite strict and testing was only done in those who had symptoms and clinical presentations suspected to be directly related to Covid.

In April, it is more likely that some cases were missed rather than people with completely unrelated illnesses and asymptomatic carriage were diagnosed.

A patient with Covid who has a terminal illness or multiple co-morbidities is and would not have been admitted to ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Yes it is really just a big old coincidence that the increase in ICU beds catering to COVID patients occurred at the same time that national excess deaths spiked by over 1000 in April .Some poeple will really convince themselves of anything

Arghus wrote: »
    Well the whole country is using masks and PPE at the moment.

What's the estimate of the amount of people in Ireland who have a underlying condition? It's something like a third isn't it?

So keep up to a third of the population under lock and key indefinitely?

Bearing in mind as well that hospitals will be effectively off limits to these people if Covid is circulating widely in the community at large, which it will be if we're making even less of an effort to suppress it than we already are.

And of course a lot of these potentially vulnerable people live with others or rely on carers, doctors and nursing staff who they will have to come into contact. You'll have to isolate these people too if covid is circulating widely in the community.

Simply "isolating the vulnerable" isn't as easy or as straightforward as it sounds.

You clearly don't know the defintion of PPE so.
    Personal protective equipment is protective clothing, helmets, goggles, or other garments or equipment designed to protect the wearer's body from injury or infection.

PPE is to protect the user of the the PPE not to protect others from the wearer. Locking up a third of the population is surely better than locking up the entire population and it's only certain underlying that would put a person at risk of covid so it wouldn't be a third of the population.

People who come into contact with vulnerable people could be tested constantly. And vulnerable people can reduce their contacts also these measures would be voluntary not mandatory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

14 adult critical care beds , and 126 general hospital beds , vacant in Dublin amongst 6 hospitals .

Some of these ICU beds may now be reserved , but note that if ICU availability comes under pressure ,all elective surgery first , procedures and appointments then will be stopped also .

El Sueño wrote: »
    Whoever came up with the idea of having that covid quiz should be shot out of a cannon

Poor taste and not very entertaining

• Advertisement

look its a little tedious to keep asking this but im going to persist anyway

GT89, apart from typing, what are the qualifications and relevant experience you are bringing to the table to set against the NPHET in terms of expertise in public advice against pandemic and against the govt and civil service in terms of gauging what elements of that idealised advice can be implemented with all the other aspects a govt has to take into account?

every single poster who wants to be taken seriously in opposing the actions of the actual experts and the actual mandated govt should set their balls on the table

single worst thing about boards isnt far right, far left, moderation, hate speech or anything else

its that not only is there an endless supply of posters who genuinely seem to think being able to fill a blank box with type makes their opinion the match of actual, demonstrated expertise, but that there is an almost endless supply of posters who seem happy to nod along with never a hint of genuine self-examination from anyone involved.

expertise and mandate matter and in the middle of a pandemic it really is incumbent on everyone to acknowledge that. the stakes are too high for this constant "we all have an equal opinion" rubbish. save that for soaps and sport.

what starts as "criticise the govt from the barstool" turns into shinner-level "we have one of the worst govts in the world" leads to "nobody has the right to tell me what to do!" in the middle of an actual deadly actual global threat where egging on this type of "my word's as good as anyone's" lunacy gets people killed and keeps countries locked down.

you're either with the national effort or not, whether some other pricks attended a golf dinner or not, whether you vote fffg or not, whether you think every member of the board of national experts is a political stooge out to spoil your autumn or not.

no sidelines. no "im only saying" because idiots read boards and twitter and use the "only saying" as reasons to do damage.

you're either with us, or against us. I can't see the value in opposing the efforts against a national crisis, no matter how important you feel hitting 'send' on a post that sticks it to the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

PPE is to protect the user of the the PPE not to protect others from the wearer. Locking up a third of the population is surely better than locking up the entire population and it's only certain underlying that would put a person at risk of covid so it wouldn't be a third of the population.

People who come into contact with vulnerable people could be tested constantly. And vulnerable people can reduce their contacts also these measures would be voluntary not mandatory.

Yes, I know what PPE is. But thank you for that anyway.

Isolating the huge proportion of the population that is vulnerable to this virus for an indefinite period and letting it rip is a complete non-starter. It's logistically impossible and ethically dubious. You can't or won't see that. Sure, look it, that's your view - but I don't think I could have outlined any clearer why it's borderline impossible. It's appealing as an approach because it sounds possible, but once you think through its implications and complexities you realise how unworkable it is.

I don't agree that the entire population is currently locked up. We all are living with restrictions on our lives, but that's not the entire population being locked up.

We cannot discount all deaths of people with an underlying health condition and say they did not die of Covid because they had another health condition. Not all of those with an underlying health condition would have died this year had they not contracted Covid. I agree some may have been close to their end with a terminal illness but even then it would be difficult to know how much longer that individual with cancer, for example, may have it if they had not contracted Covid..

About 1.2 million people in Ireland are estimated to have hypertension. With basic healthcare, most of those should still have a normal life expectancy. A person who is diagnosed with hypertension in their 30s should still expect to live to their 80s.

Do we not count someone who dies with Covid because they have high blood pressure, diabetes (maybe just on a diet or tablets), asthma (perhaps just use an inhaler once or twice a year), sarcoidosis (but maybe not on any treatment), etc., etc.? Even those in their 80s and 90s who died of Covid cannot be discounted. They may have lived for another five years, another ten years. If a 90 year old died in a car accident, should he/she not be counted in the figures for road deaths for the year because of their age?

PPE is to protect the user of the the PPE not to protect others from the wearer
    . Locking up a third of the population is surely better than locking up the entire population and it's only certain underlying that would put a person at risk of covid so it wouldn't be a third of the population.

PPE in healthcare is always to protect both. Doctors wear gloves to protect their patients from contracting infections from them and to protect themselves from contracting an infection from the patient.

With public mask wearing, the mask is perhaps more protective to others from the wearer than it is for user of the mask. ‘I protect you and you protect me’, and varieties of this, is being used as a slogan by many health authorities.

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    90 in total in ROI hospitals with Covid now?
    Yes. HSE operations report for 21st of September gives figure of 90 in hospital as of 8pm with 17 in ICU as of 6.30pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,938 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

you're either with us, or against us. I can't see the value in opposing the efforts against a national crisis, no matter how important you feel hitting 'send' on a post that sticks it to the man.

I'm against the government because they are not doing enough to prevent this virus spreading and clearly don't care about our kids.
    I've every right to have and to post my opinion.
    I've said months ago that I never even considered that I could run a country or anything like it but after seeing the level of stupidity running the show in this country since this virus arrived I'm confident I'd do a better job than any of them.
    And I'm not all about me either, I look around the world and see who is having success in the battle against this virus and take in board what they are doing but our government aren't doing that.

It's quite clear they are happy to let this thing continue sinking as the numbers remain low enough so our hospitals don't get overrun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,902 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

eagle eye wrote:
    I'm against the government because they are not doing enough to prevent this virus spreading and clearly don't care about our kids. I've every right to have and to post my opinion. I've said months ago that I never even considered that I could run a country or anything like it but after seeing the level of stupidity running the show in this country since this virus arrived I'm confident I'd do a better job than any of them. And I'm not all about me either, I look around the world and see who is having success in the battle against this virus and take in board what they are doing but our government aren't doing that.

I'm afraid, it takes a particular level of arrogance and narcissism to think one could run a country better, this is highly unlikely, including for myself, it's one hell of a sh1t job, politicans certainly don't get paid enough, for what they're trying to do, particularly right now. it's a balancing act, while walking across a tight rope, while the rope is only truly secure at one end, and you're bollcok naked, its one hell of a sh1t job

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Thought she was superb. Finally putting a view across that doesn't toe the party line and actually describes a high percentage of people feelings on it. Let actions be statistic based and not hysteria based

A good rule of thumb. If you find yourself agreeing with Niamh horan’s opinion on anything it’s a clear indication your wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Where is the panic talk about ICU bed availability every winter? We could all end up in ICU at any given time due to RTCs, heart attacks, strokes etc. not something I spend my day worrying about it. The chances of a healthy person ending up in ICU with covid are about the same as ending up in ICU because of a car crash, heart attack, stroke, one punch assault, falling down the stairs or workplace accident.

The vulnerable can take measures to protect themselves whilst the healthy should really be getting on with their lives.

A 24 year old cousin of someone I know endes up in ICU in a coma due to covid 19 earlier this year. He was apparently very fit, used to run regularly. No known underlying conditions. Granted his is a rare case, but some young people are struck very hard by this.

Notwithstanding that, anyone over 70 is at very high risk from this, and that is not an old age. My mother is in her 70s, is regularly digging up her allotment and swims and cycles. There are many like her who have a decade or two at least of life yet who could be seriously affected by covid 19. I cannot get over the absolute selfish gall of people who think congregating in pubs and the freedom to not wear a mask is more important than the lives of a significant proportion of our population.

We are not living in a police state. We can see friends as long as we are cautious to limit how many at once and how we meet. Shops, restaurants, and pubs are open, we just can't have quite the level of fun and abandonment in them as we did before this. We can get on a bus or train and head to the shopping centre or town, as long as you properly wear a mask.

If everyone used the freedoms we had responsibly there would be no need for lockdowns like Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Because it's part of their continuing narrative that they don't want to be inconvenienced in any way so other people need to adapt or die.

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    A 24 year old cousin of someone I know endes up in ICU in a coma due to covid 19 earlier this year. He was apparently very fit, used to run regularly. No known underlying conditions. Granted his is a rare case, but some young people are struck very hard by this.

Notwithstanding that, anyone over 70 is at very high risk from this, and that is not an old age. My mother is in her 70s, is regularly digging up her allotment and swims and cycles. There are many like her who have a decade or two at least of life yet who could be seriously affected by covid 19. I cannot get over the absolute selfish gall of people who think congregating in pubs and the freedom to not wear a mask is more important than the lives of a significant proportion of our population.

We are not living in a police state. We can see friends as long as we are cautious to limit how many at once and how we meet. Shops, restaurants, and pubs are open, we just can't have quite the level of fun and abandonment in them as we did before this. We can get on a bus or train and head to the shopping centre or town, as long as you properly wear a mask.

If everyone used the freedoms we had responsibly there would be no need for lockdowns like Dublin.

It is not true to say that anyone over 70 is at very high risk. 80% of those in care homes who got this recovered, so anyone over 70, in good health, has an excellent chance of recovery. I even know of someone in their late 70's with emphysema who recovered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Why is there a separate definition for a 'close contact' by the HSE for those working in schools?

In society a 'close contact' is someone who has interacted with a person (who has tested positive) for 15 minutes whilst less than 2 m apart OR not wearing a mask or visor.

In schools a 'close contact' is someone who has interacted with a person (who has tested positive) for 15 minutes whilst less than 1 m apart AND not wearing a mask or visor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

A good rule of thumb. If you find yourself agreeing with Niamh horan’s opinion on anything it’s a clear indication your wrong

I was going to ask what she said then I googled her and I remembered who she is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'm afraid, it takes a particular level of arrogance and narcissism to think one could run a country better, this is highly unlikely, including for myself, it's one hell of a sh1t job, politicans certainly don't get paid enough, for what they're trying to do, particularly right now. it's a balancing act, while walking across a tight rope, while the rope is only truly secure at one end, and you're bollcok naked, its one hell of a sh1t job

If it’s such a **** job why oh why do they keep competing for re-election. They literally have to be thrown out by the electorate unlike the rest of us who move on to another job. Methinks they know they haven’t the skills or talent to get the mercs and perks elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Face shields ineffective at trapping aerosols, says Japanese supercomputer

link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

It took a supercomputer to figure that out :D Daft looking yokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Be better for all of us if the supercomputer was simulating other things like possible drugs and treatments that could actually help with the virus. Some people won't or can't wear face masks so it really doesn't matter. TBH this masks battleground is really tiresome and apart from adding to that fire does little to help us understand the virtually blank canvas of the virus itself but it's pleasing for the media because it's something they can understand.

The discovery linked to on the vaccines thread about the Linoleic acid in COVID is real research and far more useful to us. Here's an RTE version of it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0922/1166648-covid-19-drug/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

is_that_so wrote: »
    Be better for all of us if the supercomputer was simulating other things like possible drugs and treatments that could actually help with the virus. Some people won't or can't wear face masks so it really doesn't matter. TBH this masks battleground is really tiresome and apart from adding to that fire does little to help us understand the virtually blank canvas of the virus itself but it's pleasing for the media because it's something they can understand.

Yep, do like I do, buy some ffp3 masks, for yourself, and let the other gob****es who won’t wear masks off to drown in their own secretions.
    I’m really adopting a look after myself approach to COVID-19 these days, whereas before I’d be angry with non mask wearers, now I just move along with myself, safe in the knowledge I’m well protected from their ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The discovery linked to on the vaccines about the Linoleic acid in COVID is real research and far more useful to us. Here's an RTE version of it.

Yeah, it's doing that too.
    experts are hoping it will help identify treatments for Covid-19 from about 2,000 existing drugs, including those that have yet to reach the clinical trial stage

Also
    The 130bn yen (£970m) supercomputer has also run simulations on how respiratory droplets spread in partitioned office spaces and on packed trains when the carriage windows are open

How the virus spreads and what we should do to combat it until effective treatments or vaccines arrive is hardly of "little help".

It's vital.

Boggles wrote: »
    Yeah, it's doing that too.

Also

How the virus spreads and what we should do to combat it until effective treatments or vaccines arrive is hardly of "little help".

It's vital.
    I see an understanding of how the virus is structured of far more importance. That's still extremely limited. It's not as if we don't have about 4000 papers on mask usage already.

The discovery linked to on the vaccines thread about the Linoleic acid in COVID is real research and far more useful to us. Here's an RTE version of it.

Oh i agree and Ive seen that supercomputers are being used to treatments etc.

I was just sharing it, Ive no opinion on shields

Oh i agree and Ive seen that supercomputers are being used to treatments etc.
    Real research is glacial stuff and this IMO is really just going over fairly old ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,902 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

If it’s such a **** job why oh why do they keep competing for re-election. They literally have to be thrown out by the electorate unlike the rest of us who move on to another job. Methinks they know they haven’t the skills or talent to get the mercs and perks elsewhere.

...because most of them believe in what theyre doing, is the right thing for society, even if people like myself, completely disagree with their thinking and ideologies, it really is a sh1t job

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm against the government because they are not doing enough to prevent this virus spreading and clearly don't care about our kids.
    I've every right to have and to post my opinion.
    I've said months ago that I never even considered that I could run a country or anything like it but after seeing the level of stupidity running the show in this country since this virus arrived I'm confident I'd do a better job than any of them.
    And I'm not all about me either, I look around the world and see who is having success in the battle against this virus and take in board what they are doing but our government aren't doing that.

It's quite clear they are happy to let this thing continue sinking as the numbers remain low enough so our hospitals don't get overrun.

your qualifications and experience?

I see an understanding of how the virus is structured of far more importance. That's still extremely limited. It's not as if we don't have about 4000 papers on mask usage already.

But yet you still call it a "battleground".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

your qualifications and experience?

What are your qualifications & experience?

This is a forum where people leave opinions/posts, not an interview.

Boggles wrote: »
    But yet you still call it a "battleground".
    Not necessarily of scientists' making but yes it is. It's become a battle of political and personal views and is very much subject to extreme intolerance on both ends of the spectrum.

Never heard of her, why she was involved is a complete mystery.2 health professionals and "Niamh" in her parents kitchen via Zoom.

Also what was with the GP given the "celebs" only a score of 3 when they were clearly getting the answers right.

Harsh.

What are your qualifications & experience?

This is a forum where people leave opinions/posts, not an interview.

as i was clear to point out, its those geniuses in our midst who have big alternative plans and strategies to our experts that have the onus to declare why they should be taken in any way seriously.

me? happy to let the experts get on with it. i might moan a bit but seeing as my experience lies in a totally unrelated field id feel like a completely pompous ass if i were to keep typing up amateur tracts critiquing or advising them.

so my qualifications and experience are irrelevant.

see how that works?

• Advertisement

Not necessarily of scientists' making but yes it is.

So still work to be done.

The point is, if the computer is essentially figuring how to live with the virus, right now the information is vital, not just for public health, but society and the economy.

That doesn't negate other important work, it's a billion dollar computer, I imagine it can walk and chew gum at the same time, which it is doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Long way away but this hopefully sounds positive way forward

'Game changer' find could lead to Covid-19 'blocker'

"Scientists believe they may have discovered a new way to combat the Covid-19 virus.

An international team from Bristol University believes that small molecule anti-viral drugs could be developed to help stop the virus from infecting human cells.

The scientists have found a "druggable" pocket within a Sars-CoV-2 spike protein which they hope could lead to new anti-viral drugs to shut down and eliminate the virus before it enters human cells."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’m curious as to how much cultural traits are playing a role in the spread.

In short, some countries whose population lack discipline and objective perspective are fairing poorly. It’s a virus, freedom to do what you want and a belligerent response (fatigue) to measures to mitigate it are basically undermining the authorities efforts.

People selectively point at other countries who have better numbers but I don’t see people discussing why these countries strategy works better. What works in one country may not in another for a multitude of reasons.

Where I fear our authorities/government have let us down mostly us by not using the time well since March. Are we ready for the next surge? Why not? Anybody in medicine could tell you months ago that the likelihood would be that winter could be a very big test.

Efforts to improve our contact tracing and plain old communication to the public could and should of been done much much better. There is no excuse as far as I am concerned that these elements have been deficient at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

owlbethere wrote: »
    That's exactly what a night out was pre covid for a lot of young people. Not everyone but a lot of people. Dresses so skimpy, I wear more going to bed. All it is getting dressed up to wear fcuk all and get drunk and fall about the place.

Can’t hide the misogyny there eh? Disgraceful comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

New study in Karachi, Pakistan has current seroprevelance at 36% - estimated 5,367,600 cases in the city, despite Pakistan as a whole having 306,000 confirmed.
    https://academic.oup.com/jpubhealth/advance-article/doi/10.1093/pubmed/fdaa170/5906459

And that doesnt even take into account the group of people who never test positive and never have antibodies. The ones it just seems to bounce off.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement