Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I doubt it going by what happened with the Down and Cork managers - (Paddy Tally and Ronan McCarthy)

They were used as an example. Plus once some sort of example is set it has to be followed. The managers were made the fall guys, not the players.

I have a sneaky feeling the players will ship a ban here as well.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

JRant wrote: »
    I have a sneaky feeling the players will ship a ban here as well.

When they didn't ban any of the Cork or Down players, I would say that the odds of any individual Dublin players getting a ban are fairly small.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sure I have passed through work few times to see a few lads training on gaa pitches.

Dublin aint the only ones.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Both Down and Cork used as part of their defence that what they did were one-off meet-ups and that it was not a return to ongoing training. Cork said it was a team bonding exercise [and to be fair wiggling around on the beach was hardly likely to be part of their regular training schedule although with those Cork boys who knows] Down said they were only meeting up to distribute fitness/training plans.

Dublin might try to argue something similar - that this was once a one-off session but I don't fancy their chances of convincing anyone. It looks like they jumped the gun and returned to regular training 3 weeks ahead of schedule. The Independent were clearly tipped off, so there is probably at least one eye witness to a previous training session in Malahide. Odds are high the rest of the squad were training elsewhere [possibly spilt in two groups] There's a reasonable chance that more people saw them. There might even be more pictures out there on a cameraphone or already going around a Whatsapp group. I'm sure when the CCC gets to question Dessie they will be asking him why they should believe that this was the only training sesssion or whether there were others already held and whether others had been planned.

There's also the fact that they breached government rules as well as GAA rules - neither the Cork or Down offences were against government COVID regulations at the time.

Another difference is that this offence took place on GAA grounds - neither the Cork (beach) or Down (school) offences did, so I'd say the best Dublin GAA can hope for is the similar to those two punishments but I really would not be a bit surprised if it was harsher. If the DCB were willing to give Farrell 12 weeks I think he 16 weeks is the minimum he gets from Croke Park and wouldn't be shocked by anything up to 24 weeks. Could see Dublin losing two home games as well.

If, and that is a big IF, any of what you are suggesting were to happen then I'd hope the DCB pull the team from this year's league and championship. You can't have one rule for Dublin and another set of rules for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Sure I have passed through work few times to see a few lads training on gaa pitches.

Dublin aint the only ones.

County players? Arranged and managed sessions?

• Advertisement

dunnerc wrote: »
    100% it was wrong , and punishments will be handed out
    Do you think other Counties are not at it ?

There's a few very relieved lads today that have been heading to a certain Navan ground over the past couple of weeks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭dunnerc

If, and that is a big IF, any of what you are suggesting were to happen then I'd hope the DCB pull the team from this year's league and championship. You can't have one rule for Dublin and another set of rules for everyone else.

100% agreed if what has been suggested were to happen , the team should be pulled from the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

walshb wrote: »
    County players? Arranged and managed sessions?

A county underages sides. Not full house but training away on cool sunday morning.

largepants wrote: »
    Humble enough to think they are more important than everyone else?

Another nonsense post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

I see the cases have shot up today as a result of this. Outrageous :)

• Advertisement

There's no way in a million years the DCB will do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

The Cork and Down situations were one off sessions. If Dessie was to get 12 weeks for every session organised he would hit the max of 48 weeks for this week alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rosita

Humble enough to think they are more important than everyone else?

No, that wouldn't be humble would it?

But they are more important than everyone else aren't they? They made the RTÉ news, Newstalk, Today FM, the front page of today's Indo. Wow and Wow again indeed. But I doubt Longford Slashers Junior B team having a training session would make the Wow news?

The humble bit is how you conduct yourself when being more important than everyone else. They do that extremely well. This was not not about a lack of humility. This was about wanting to train collectively. The problem is that in the current situation it was way beyond the pale, and a really bad decision which those who love the team (I am among that number) should find the maturity to acknowledge.

Six in a row All Ireland winners are important. Iconically important. Let's not be silly about that. Gods make their own importance.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    There's no way in a million years the DCB will do this.

And you know this how ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Anyone make out who the players are in the pictures? From what I see all from the Northside and all fairly close to balgriffin? I don't see any southsiders, am I wrong?

And you know this how ?

Because they would already have done it when they issued their statement 2 hours ago when they reacted to the situation and gave Dessie Farrell 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Maybe I'm missing something, but why is Dessie Farrell being suspended by the Dublin county board? He hardly arranged that a couple of county players would have an official training session with a few random friends, what has it got to do with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A reminder that some people are getting outraged because a couple of healthy young lads went to a park and trained together.

Sometimes you need to look past the covid doctrines and actually have a think about what is happening, and what is happening is that people are crying because healthy young lads did some training in a park.

elefant wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why is Dessie Farrell being suspended by the Dublin county board? He hardly arranged that a couple of county players would have an official training session with a few random friends, what has it got to do with him?

They need a sacrificial lamb to appease the mob on the likes of here and Ger Gilroy and his offended by everything otb colleagues

To the people saying "sure plenty of others are probably doing it too" , that's hardly a defence.

If someone was up for assault or rape the fact that others might be doing it is not a mitigant to their guilt

Someone has been punished time to move on now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

To the people saying "sure plenty of others are probably doing it too" , that's hardly a defence.

If someone was up for assault or rape the fact that others might be doing it is not a mitigant to their guilt

Yeah it is exactly like assault or rape Missus. No hyperbole there!

The fact as they stand are Down and Cork breached covid regulations and their managers were punished with a 12 week ban. The Dublin County Board in their great wisdom and foresight also realised that Mr Dessie Farrell deserves a 12 week suspension.

The facts so far are anyone who is caught breaching covid19 regulations is punished accordingly.

However, I get the distinct impression because it is Dublin, many would not like Dublin punished. They want them metaphorically 'raped' as well.

Why? Because many of those complaining for even greater punishment (despite precedent) know full well that this Dublin team are untouchable on the football field. So this is their only method of getting 'at' Dublin off the field.

It is very transparent.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants

Rosita wrote: »
    No, that wouldn't be humble would it?

But they are more important than everyone else aren't they? They made the RTÉ news, Newstalk, Today FM, the front page of today's Indo. Wow and Wow again indeed. But I doubt Longford Slashers Junior B team having a training session would make the Wow news?

The humble bit is how you conduct yourself when being more important than everyone else. They do that extremely well. This was not not about a lack of humility. This was about wanting to train collectively. The problem is that in the current situation it was way beyond the pale, and a really bad decision which those who love the team (I am among that number) should find the maturity to acknowledge.

Six in a row All Ireland winners are important. Iconically important. Let's not be silly about that. Gods make their own importance.

I haven't a dickie bird of the point you are trying to make.

Either way the Dubs assumed that the rules didn't apply to them. So humble can't be used for the Dubs anymore.

They will have to do some amount of sweeping this year to win back the media.

A reminder that some people are getting outraged because a couple of healthy young lads went to a park and trained together.

Sometimes you need to look past the covid doctrines and actually have a think about what is happening, and what is happening is that people are crying because healthy young lads did some training in a park.

No, no, I haven't seen anyone outraged. You could argue that the Dublin County Board is outraged in giving the manager a 12 weeks suspension. But ordinary people here are entitled to comment without faux accusations of outrage as if they have no cause for complaint. And whether the lads are healthy or not is irrelevant - not sure why you have to mention that twice.

It's not complicated. There are restrictions under Level 5 - the entire country (which is not explicitly exempted) has to adhere to them. You'll always get the North Face crew who will meet up in parks - not sure they can be used as the benchmark. But for an inter-county team to do so especially at a time when they are so close to being allowed to do so anyway is what is causing the problem. There is, despite what some seem to think, nothing sacroscanct about training or kicking a ball. The restrictions apply. It is a horrible situation but it affects us all.

The last time I played my sport even in practice was 23 December. Last time I was in the gym was 30 December. I have had no choice. There are many in the same boat and we accept it. It's not like these healthy people are trapped in a hell that we could never understand.

Gas.

Prime example of how those with agendas will never be happy.

Your entire Helen Lovejoy-esque moaning today has shown you up.

I guess Dublin CB must have an agenda too.

This perma paranoia is not very becoming.

Another nonsense post :D

:D

I haven't a dickie bird of the point you are trying to make.

Clearly not.

What is sorely lacking at the moment is sincere, and I mean sincere, apologies from the culprits. They need to satisfy us that they truly realise the damage done

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

For those who don’t see this as being a big deal maybe you should remember back to your feelings on #golfgate and consider that this breach of guidelines is more organised, covert and and damaging because the legislation current in place is stricter, there have been examples in the past and there have been recent high level reminders not to do this.

Basically double the outrage you had to #golfgate and your about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

What is sorely lacking at the moment is sincere, and I mean sincere, apologies from the culprits. They need to satisfy us that they truly realise the damage done

Lol.

I'm sure Brian Fenton and Johnny Cooper are sitting at home right now trying to figure out how to satisfy random posters on a website.

I'll break it to you gently, the lads dont need to "satisfy" you with anything.

Some posts today have been gas in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

For those who don’t see this as being a big deal maybe you should remember back to your feelings on #golfgate and consider that this breach of guidelines is more organised, covert and and damaging because the legislation current in place is stricter, there have been examples in the past and there have been recent high level reminders not to do this.

Basically double the outrage you had to #golfgate and your about right.

Bang on there.

Plus, golfgate took place when there were a few dozen cases a day, there are ten times the amount now.

Have to say, I am really surprised and disappointed. They should have known better.

Incredibly naive.

People are pointing to Cork & Down as the template for punishment, but I would say it should now be more severe.

The difference between these Dubs and the Cork/ Down players was that the Cork & Down players didnt know what the penalty would. The Dubs did, and went ahead anyway.

Advertisement