Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Rosita wrote: »
    It's announced every day on the news isn't it?

What news do you look at that has their main story every day being the fact kids arent allowed train or have matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The players that turned up without objection should be suspended for 3 months. Farrell should be dismissed, not suspended.

Why? Because he absolutely and utterly knew what he was arranging was contrary to the restrictions and jeopardised the resumption of training and competitions for hundreds of thousands of association members of all ages, and he did it anyway.

There can be no plea of ignorance or question of degrees of seriousness, its just bad bastardness. Farrell must be dismissed and there's no way this is the end of it.

:)

Climb down there before you get a nose bleed. He's been suspended for 12 weeks. Asking for his head is completely over the top.

No doubt you were calling for those 8 garda who broke restrictions recently to be sacked as well.

People aren't infallible for gods sake.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,310 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Suspending him for 12 weeks is such a non punishment.

Why don't they sack him? If they think suspension is a real bad punishment and will lead to the team doing poorly then they wouldn't suspend him.

12 weeks the Dubs will still be on holiday.

At the end of the day, any bans or suspensions during league or early championship is pointless.

Because that is the punishment Down and Cork received for the same offence so a precedent was set.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-football/6503255/gaa-12-week-bans-cork-down-ronan-mccarthy-tally/

The rule any breach of covid19 training regulations falls:

Rule 7.2 (e) “Misconduct considered to have discredited the Association”

That rule refers to misconduct considered to have discredited the association and carries a minimum eight-week suspension for the team or unit in question, with fines, disqualification or even expulsion also possible.

Should Dublin get a larger ban just because they are Dubs?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I think it is great move by the DCB. Reminds me what Man United did with Cantona's famous kick. Moved first before they were pushed. Much better for the optics and image. Plus it will not be hanging over them.

Plus if Dublin players miss a chunk of the league will it matter that much? They all seem to look after themselves anyway. They might even end up fresher than other counties and a have renewed enthusiasm when they come back.

Surely they won't ban the players as well. That would be something else if they decide to do it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Because that is the punishment Down and Cork received for the same offence so a precedent was set.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-football/6503255/gaa-12-week-bans-cork-down-ronan-mccarthy-tally/

Those were from the GAA, this is an internal decision and shouldn’t affect the GAA central punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Rosita

the kelt wrote: »
    What news do you look at that has their main story every day being the fact kids arent allowed train or have matches?

Never mentioned anyone's main story. Sorry if you only watch the headlines. They tend to mix it up. Announced it at 6.11 on RTE news just now. Not too bad for those of us still watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,310 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

JRant wrote: »
    Surely they won't ban the players as well. That would be something else if they decide to do it.

I doubt it going by what happened with the Down and Cork managers - (Paddy Tally and Ronan McCarthy)

They were used as an example. Plus once some sort of example is set it has to be followed. The managers were made the fall guys, not the players.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭dunnerc

largepants wrote: »
    DCB trying to be cute. Let the Gaa deal with it.

Hopefully more suspensions coming for players. Blows the 'humble' argument out of the water.

Humble argument ? What a bitter nasty post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

JRant wrote: »

They would only be suspending the players that got caught.
    Posters are claiming this is similar to the Down and Cork cases. It is not. This was not a one off, it has been going on for a considerable length of time. There were a number of venues yesterday morning where the cameras would have shown similar pictures. By suspending Farrell the DCB are trying to make this go away.

Never mentioned anyone's main story. Sorry if you only watch the headlines. They tend to mix it up. Announced it at 6.11 on RTE news just now. Not too bad for those of us still watching.

I think you're getting a little confused.

I quoted this piece in bold from another post and said it should be headline news:

Kids all around the country have been told they can't train or go to play organised GAA, soccer etc. and won't be allowed until the end of April.

You then said

It's announced every day on the news isn't it?

So im just wondering what news you look at that announces this every day, genuinely interested, doesnt have to be headline news.

Im delighted that you watch the news, it must be so exciting to be outraged about stuff like this in the current climate to be fair, Claire Byren and Matt Cooper must be like Manna from Heaven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,997 ✭✭✭✭event

Wonder could I sell the Irish Times a selfie photo of my mate, who now should be the unquestioned starting goalkeeper for his county, out training in the park last week?! Can see a few of his team mates in the background with the cone set up and all.

It's going on all over the shop. The Dublin lads just got caught.

You're some mate

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭largepants

Exhibit A a few posts after!

The problem is now anti-Dubs will not get the fun out of raking this up sure didn't they do extra training line all year.
    DCB laid down the law and seems more than willing to take the lead before pushed.

How this affects the 'humble' arguement? Surely it means the DCB is more 'humble' and is willing to take lay down the law on it's own players and manager. Plus I assume the players and manager will accept any further punishment from GAA HQ.

But the anti-Dubs online/offline brigade will miss their fun now because it will become a non argument if Dublin get the same punishment as other counties such as Cork/Down.

The fact the DCB are punishing their own manager will actually annoy those outside the M50. They will have no new stick to beat Dublin with.
    Gas stuff altogether.

I will say it again well played DCB. And I thought Paidi O'Sé was a cute hoor!

Miss their fun. Not at all. This is epic.

They broke the rules, same as others have done, same punishment should apply.

Thats all it should be really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Stupid thing to do makes Dublin GAA as well as the GAA in general look bad. I don't agree with most of the Covid restrictions and id say the vast majority of people are breaking at least one every day but doesn't matter especially if your high profile.

In fairness, if the worst thing they have on Dublin GAA this year is a few lads training then I'll be delighted.

the kelt wrote: »
    I

it must be so exciting to be outraged about stuff like this in the current climate to be fairQUOTE]

The Pointer Sisters themselves wouldn't do me justice to tell you the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,676 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It’s so bizarre...

What was the need to do it?

What was the desperation? Were the players going to lose a trick, a step or something?

Very odd. That hour of the morning. Deliberately cunning, and all to throw a ball and a few shapes for an hour or so...

They surely had to know that in today’s climate, you can’t fart in peace without someone knowing about it..

Blows the 'humble' argument out of the water.

No it doesn't. It shows poor judgement but humility is a different matter.

walshb wrote: »
    It’s so bizarre...

What was the desperation? Were the players going to lose a trick, a step or something?

Very odd. That hour of the morning. Deliberately cunning, and all to throw a ball and a few shapes for an hour or so...

They surely had to know that in today’s climate, you can’t fart in peace without someone knowing about it..

To keep up with everyone else doing it. The few other contenders won’t get shopped though because there’s only local media people in their areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭dunnerc

It’s so bizarre...

What was the desperation? Were the players going to lose a truck, a step or something?

100% it was wrong , and punishments will be handed out
    Do you think other Counties are not at it ?

dunnerc wrote: »
    Humble argument ? What a bitter nasty post

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭jacool

The few other contenders
    That would be a very, very, very short list. Dying to know who's on it.

dunnerc wrote: »
    100% it was wrong , and punishments will be handed out
    Do you think other Counties are not at it ?

No idea.

But if they are I’d be surprised they haven’t been seen or ratted out..

No it doesn't. It shows poor judgement but humility is a different matter.

Humble enough to think they are more important than everyone else?

jacool wrote: »
    That would be a very, very, very short list. Dying to know who's on it.

The three of them touch the Atlantic and none of them have national media who would report them training. They’re all good enough that even this Dublin team can’t give them that big a head start.

The three of them touch the Atlantic and none of them have national media who would report them training.

Other than your post, have you anything concrete?

Other than your post, have you anything concrete?

No I just live on planet earth and not working off the sole notion that “Dublin bad - Everyone else good” like you get here most of the time. Clubs are flat out too.

No I just live on planet earth and not working off the sole notion that “Dublin bad - Everyone else good” like you get here most of the time. Clubs are flat out too.

Ok, so you have nothing to stand over the claim

Not sure who said Dublin bad everyone else good..

But anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

The rule any breach of covid19 training regulations falls:

Rule 7.2 (e) “Misconduct considered to have discredited the Association”

That rule refers to misconduct considered to have discredited the association and carries a minimum eight-week suspension for the team or unit in question, with fines, disqualification or even expulsion also possible.

Both Down and Cork used as part of their defence that what they did were one-off meet-ups and that it was not a return to ongoing training. Cork said it was a team bonding exercise [and to be fair wiggling around on the beach was hardly likely to be part of their regular training schedule although with those Cork boys who knows] Down said they were only meeting up to distribute fitness/training plans.

Dublin might try to argue something similar - that this was once a one-off session but I don't fancy their chances of convincing anyone. It looks like they jumped the gun and returned to regular training 3 weeks ahead of schedule. The Independent were clearly tipped off, so there is probably at least one eye witness to a previous training session in Malahide. Odds are high the rest of the squad were training elsewhere [possibly spilt in two groups] There's a reasonable chance that more people saw them. There might even be more pictures out there on a cameraphone or already going around a Whatsapp group. I'm sure when the CCC gets to question Dessie they will be asking him why they should believe that this was the only training sesssion or whether there were others already held and whether others had been planned.

There's also the fact that they breached government rules as well as GAA rules - neither the Cork or Down offences were against government COVID regulations at the time.

Another difference is that this offence took place on GAA grounds - neither the Cork (beach) or Down (school) offences did, so I'd say the best Dublin GAA can hope for is the similar to those two punishments but I really would not be a bit surprised if it was harsher. If the DCB were willing to give Farrell 12 weeks I think 16 weeks is the minimum he gets from Croke Park and wouldn't be a bit shocked by anything up to 24 weeks. Could see Dublin losing two home games as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

DCB trying to be cute. Let the Gaa deal with it.

Hopefully more suspensions coming for players. Blows the 'humble' argument out of the water.

Gas.

Prime example of how those with agendas will never be happy.

Your entire Helen Lovejoy-esque moaning today has shown you up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Suspending him for 12 weeks is such a non punishment.

Why don't they sack him? If they think suspension is a real bad punishment and will lead to the team doing poorly then they wouldn't suspend him.

12 weeks the Dubs will still be on holiday.

At the end of the day, any bans or suspensions during league or early championship is pointless.

Why not do nothing at all and let you lot continue on your moaning?

Advertisement