Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

exaisle wrote: »
    I agree. Not the place for the Gardai. They have better things to be doing, I'm quite sure.

However, the GAA needs to make an example of them as a marker for others.

A one year ban for anybody attending the session seems fair to me. And I'm a dub. What happened is akin to cheating and it has no place in our game.

*lights blue touch-paper and stands well back....

the kelt wrote: »
    Wow MatT Cooper AND Claire Byrne.

Its not a story, or maybe i should rephrase, it shouldnt be a story.

But in the pathetic curtain twitching permanently outraged world covid shaming world we live in i suppose it is a story.

Ye see people losing jobs as result of these restrictions should be a front page story but isnt, a few fellas kicking a ball around in a park is.

People not allowed to travel and meet family with only 270 people in hospital from Covid should be a front page story but isnt, a few fellas kicking a ball around in a park is.

Thats my point, the fact this is a story to some is kinda pathetic.

The bit that amuses me is this type of thing that has been going on for years even pre-Covid. Most specifically breaches of the Winter Training Ban and/or farcical application of the rule.

Cavan got done for that back in 2010

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-30485546.html

A farce with Kildare and winter training in 2019 before the O'Byrne Cup. As the Winter training ban was up the day they were supposed to play the game.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/gaas-winter-training-ban-has-thrown-up-a-farcical-scenario-37456143.html

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

There are kids meeting mates for kick abouts up and down the country. Multiple parents are still bringing their kids to meet up outside in place of training.

When grown men who know they are role models and fully understand the rules that are in place are being excused because kids around the the country are meeting to kick a ball, you know we've jumped the shark.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

namloc1980 wrote: »
    When grown men who know they are role models and fully understand the rules that are in place are being excused because kids around the the country are meeting to kick a ball, you know we've jumped the shark.

I'm not excusing it, regulations were broken and punishments will likely be dealt out.

Just don't think it's a big deal, and hate this nosy neighbour society covid has brought to light.

Fairly ridiculous GAA isn't back training given the "elite" men and women's LOI are playing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭largepants

Dessie getting 12 weeks from DCB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Being thrown under the bus by the county board?? :eek:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1377660576269230085?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

People not allowed to travel and meet family with only 270 people in hospital from Covid should be a front page story but isnt, a few fellas kicking a ball around in a park is.

The gaa said this just two days ago:
    "For that reason, it is more important than ever that no collective training sessions are held between now and the Government indicated return dates. Breaches in this context will not only be dealt with under our own Rules but would likely put the broader plan to return to activity in serious jeopardy."

You can play it down all you like but its a serious two fingers to the GAA. Granted its unlikely they are the only team doing it, but that isn't a defence and it doesn't take away from the fact they knew the rules and figured they didn't have to follow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

dobman88 wrote: »

It still won’t satisfy the majority of posters on here though. Preemptive strike by DCB, inline with the length of suspensions handed out by the GAA to counties who have done similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

The most successful GAA team ever caught cheating is a story. It would be the same in many sports, cheating cyclists was an international story even though you could say it's just "a few fellows riding around on bikes", heck even a cheating Olympic fencer was a story when it was just "a few fellows playing with swords".

I saw that defence used a lot in the Gordon Elliott defence too, people deciding that they could stand in judgement of what was newsworthy or not. Anyway, judging by the reaction here and elsewhere, it's a story...

:D

Doping cyclists and fella sitting on a dead horse = few fellas kicking a ball around in a park and doing a few drills!

Ok then.

But yeah you're right, it is a story, thats the pathetic part to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭largepants

DCB trying to be cute. Let the Gaa deal with it.

Hopefully more suspensions coming for players. Blows the 'humble' argument out of the water.

• Advertisement

I think the DCB are doing the right thing to be honest making a statement like that - laying down the law.
    Because if they did not it would be hanging over the Dublin camp.
    Doing it this way draws a line under it and they move on.

Plus 8 -12 weeks seems like it is the punishment Down/Cork got for the same offence.

I say well played DCB. Conscious of the optics, and playing the long game, thinking ahead. Clever move.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    It still won’t satisfy the majority of posters on here though. Preemptive strike by DCB, inline with the length of suspensions handed out by the GAA to counties who have done similar.

I know he was likely to get it anwyay but that's some statement by the county board tbf. I wonder will tye GAA impose their own sanction or ban, if they do, will it run concurrently to the county board 12 weeks. Anything over that will be ridiculously harsh as thats the bar that has been set.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭Trampas

What part did the cheat?

It shouldn’t be headline news bar the sports section. Stupid it what is was.

The dozen of people dying a day should be headline news and how many lives are been lost due to government and vaccination mess.

Penalty is what’s expected.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Kids all around the country have been told they can't train or go to play organised GAA, soccer etc. and won't be allowed until the end of April. It's the height of entitlement for the Dub players to think the rules don't apply to them and a very poor message for children in Dublin and all around the country.

The piece in bold. All whilst in a population of 5m people we have 270 people in hospital from a virus.

Now that piece in bold, that should be headline news but isnt.

I think the DCB are doing the right thing to be honest making a statement like that - laying down the law.
    Because if they did not it would be hanging over the Dublin camp.
    Doing it this way draws a line under it and they move on.

Plus 8 -12 weeks seems like it is the punishment Down/Cork got for the same offence.

I say well played DCB. Conscious of the optics, and playing the long game, thinking ahead. Clever move.

I'd agree to an extent but the GAA will have to be seen to do something also and it opens up the potential of a longer, unwarranted ban so they may ne shooting themselves in the foot a bit by going early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Rosita

Its not a story, or maybe i should rephrase, it shouldnt be a story.

But in the pathetic curtain twitching permanently outraged world covid shaming world we live in i suppose it is a story.

Ye see people losing jobs as result of these restrictions should be a front page story but isnt, a few fellas kicking a ball around in a park is.

Thats my point, the fact this is a story to some is kinda pathetic.

All of the other things you mention ARE constantly in the news. Unless they're on Off the Ball many probably don't know that. But they are. There's forum upon forum on these boards discussing them too. This is part of a bigger picture which at least the Dublin County Board appears to get the optics of.

The piece in bold. All whilst in a population of 5m people we have 270 people in hospital from a virus.

Now that piece in bold, that should be headline news but isnt.

It's announced every day on the news isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The players that turned up without objection should be suspended for 3 months. Farrell should be dismissed, not suspended.

Why? Because he absolutely and utterly knew what he was arranging was contrary to the restrictions and jeopardised the resumption of training and competitions for hundreds of thousands of association members of all ages, and he did it anyway.

There can be no plea of ignorance or question of degrees of seriousness, its just bad bastardness. Farrell must be dismissed and there's no way this is the end of it.

ArielAtom wrote: »

Exhibit A a few posts after!
    largepants wrote: »

Hopefully more suspensions coming for players. Blows the 'humble' argument out of the water.

The problem is now anti-Dubs will not get the fun out of raking this up sure didn't they do extra training line all year.
    DCB laid down the law and seems more than willing to take the lead before pushed.

How this affects the 'humble' arguement? Surely it means the DCB is more 'humble' and is willing to take lay down the law on it's own players and manager. Plus I assume the players and manager will accept any further punishment from GAA HQ.

But the anti-Dubs online/offline brigade will miss their fun now because it will become a non argument if Dublin get the same punishment as other counties such as Cork/Down.

The fact the DCB are punishing their own manager will actually annoy those outside the M50. They will have no new stick to beat Dublin with.
    Gas stuff altogether.

I will say it again well played DCB. And I thought Paidi O'Sé was a cute hoor!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭MFPM

12 week suspension for Farrell, does that imply he knew about it, I assume it does. Really stupid by players and management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Suspending him for 12 weeks is such a non punishment.

Why don't they sack him? If they think suspension is a real bad punishment and will lead to the team doing poorly then they wouldn't suspend him.

12 weeks the Dubs will still be on holiday.

At the end of the day, any bans or suspensions during league or early championship is pointless.

Rosita wrote: »
    All of the other things you mention ARE constantly in the news. Unless they're on Off the Ball many probably don't know that. But they are. There's forum upon forum on these boards discussing them too. This is part of a bigger picture which at least the Dublin County Board appears to get the optics of.

Well thats a nice little dig, its a gaa thread many must only listen to off the ball, way to generalise!!!

Yes the odd time its been headline news, because those things should be headline news.

The fact that this is headline news and people are outraged is kinda sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

MFPM wrote: »
    12 week suspension for Farrell, does that imply he knew about it, I assume it does. Really stupid by players and management.

Will there be more to come? Pure speculation but it would be very bad luck if they got caught out in the one and only session they attended

largepants wrote: »

There won't be player suspensions, no precedent for it and it didn't happen in other situations.

Your 'humble' jibe says more about your particular attitudes than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I'd agree to an extent but the GAA will have to be seen to do something also and it opens up the potential of a longer, unwarranted ban so they may ne shooting themselves in the foot a bit by going early.

Ah, without a doubt, the GAA will tack on another 12 weeks on top of this.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

I think it is great move by the DCB. Reminds me what Man United did with Cantona's famous kick. Moved first before they were pushed. Much better for the optics and image. Plus it will not be hanging over them.

Plus if Dublin players miss a chunk of the league will it matter that much? They all seem to look after themselves anyway. They might even end up fresher than other counties and a have renewed enthusiasm when they come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭KevRossi

KevRossi wrote: »
    Cork manager got a 12 week ban, Down got 8 weeks. Not sure what the difference was that entailed a different ban.

Going on precedence then the unnamed 'coach' at the training session should also get an 8 or 12 week ban, which would take them into June or July. Next question is it only that coach who gets the ban or does Dessie Farrell get one, whether he was there or not?

Players will be free to continue without a ban.

Seems Dublin GAA moved very fast on this. 12 week suspension.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0401/1207509-farrell-suspended-for-12-weeks-by-dublin-county-board/

/QUOTE]

On the Six-One news headlines now. It's getting WOWsier and WOWsier.

Will there be more to come? Pure speculation but it would be very bad luck if they got caught out in the one and only session they attended
    Yeah I doubt it was a one off, the photographer was tipped off I'd say. It's undoubtedly happening in other counties but these just got caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,258 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dessie Farrell suspended

Advertisement