Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,673 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Regardless of manner of the likely defeat for Cavan in the upcoming AI semi their Ulster success last Sunday which included two wins over division 1 opposition will be remembered and talked about for many years to come in proud and footballing mad county who now know they can challenge and beat the best in Ulster.

True but if Cavan do get humiliated by Dublin as expected it will take some of the gloss off that Provincial title.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

True but if Cavan do get humiliated by Dublin as expected it will take some of the gloss off that Provincial title.

No it wont

Fair play to to you for being honest. I find many people ignore the Kerry dominance because it is kind of accepted because 'ah sure that's the way it always was' - type of vibe. Haven't Kerry won something like 15 of the last 20?

It's because most GAA fans in Munster don't care about football and even a lot of the ones that do get over it quickly because the hurlers will win something or give some hope they might.

Your average Leinster fan has nothing else to look forward to all year except the the football so a hiding from Dublin is much more of a problem over there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Don't believe it will, They are now in bonus territory and Dublin have given a trimming to more established top 8 teams than Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭soap1978

how do u work that,so better not win ulster just incase dublin hammer u,a team that hasnt been beaten in the championship in over 5 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Absolutely not, if you witnessed the joy around Cavan since Sunday evening, you would realise 10 hammerings at the hands of the Dubs wouldn't take the gloss of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

breezy1985 wrote: »
    It's because most GAA fans in Munster don't care about football and even a lot of the ones that do get over it quickly because the hurlers will win something or give some hope they might.

Your average Leinster fan has nothing else to look forward to all year except the the football so a hiding from Dublin is much more of a problem over there

Average Leinster fan doesn't care about football either.

Average Leinster fan doesn't care about football either.

I don't understand?

If it's a joke it's gone over my head

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I don't understand?

If it's a joke it's gone over my head

You said "Your average Leinster fan has nothing else to look forward to all year except the the football so a hiding from Dublin is much more of a problem over there"

Most in Leinster don't watch it anymore outside Dublin. No one cares any more.

You said "Your average Leinster fan has nothing else to look forward to all year except the the football so a hiding from Dublin is much more of a problem over there"

Now I get ya. As a Limerick fan I prefer the league when it comes to football for similar reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Fair point never thought of it that way 'tradition' etc.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Sure they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Mickey Hartes replacement is joint managers in Fergal Logan and Brian Dooher.

I can't think of many successful joint senior managers?

Shouldn't have went that route. Make a proper decision and put someone in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Mickey Hartes replacement is joint managers in Fergal Logan and Brian Dooher.

I can't think of many successful joint senior managers?

Eugene McKenna and Art McRory done well as a duo with Tyrone in the 90's.

Hammar wrote: »

Never made much of an impact in the All Ireland series. Last match was round 4 qualifier defeat to Sligo in Croke Park in 2002.

Speaking of Sligo they appointed Tony McEntee as their new manager tonight when it was expected former player Eamon O’Hara would get the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭C__MC

I see kevin mc stay thinks the leinster championship will be on track if dublin have a few more away games
    RTE at it's best

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Never made much of an impact in the All Ireland series. Last match was round 4 qualifier defeat to Sligo in Croke Park in 2002.

Speaking of Sligo they appointed Tony McEntee as their new manager tonight when it was expected former player Eamon O’Hara would get the gig.

They got to an All Ireland final in 95.. and an All Ireland semi final in 96. I'd consider that making an impact. 3 Ulster titles plus 1 league title was a success in my opinion.

They got to an All Ireland final in 95.. and an All Ireland semi final in 96. I'd consider that making an impact. 3 Ulster titles plus 1 league title was a success in my opinion.

In the 90s Tyrone had 1 win (against Galway) in the AI series and the Dublin 1995 team was arguably the worse Senior All Ireland winner in the last 30 years while Tyrone relied too much Peter Canavan.

When they returned for a 2nd spell Tyrone flattered to deceive in their 2001/2002 campaigns when they got knocked out of the Championship by Sligo and Derry.

Having watched the Logan, Dooher press conference their county board see themselves as one of the elite teams and the bar of success will be reaching All-Ireland finals and competitive in those finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭rrs

Peter Donnelly back with Tyrone after a year with Monaghan as S/C coach, combining with Ulster Rugby.
    They have Joe McMahon as part of the backroom teamz was with Fermangh this year and Collie Holmes.

Logan was the manager of the U21s in 15 and Dooher selector. Must have been proposed by the Clubs to be joint managers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

C__MC wrote: »
    I see kevin mc stay thinks the leinster championship will be on track if dublin have a few more away games
    RTE at it's best

Ehhh if you are talking about the Connellan, Rory O'Neill, Conor McKeon podcast then he never said that.
    Try and be a little less disingenuous, will ya.

One point he did make was why in the 35 times Dublin have played Laois in the last 130 years has not one game being played in Laois is kinda telling.

BTW all of them on that podcast did agree even with resourcing other counties, Dublin playing away it will take years for counties to get close to them.
    But that definitely should not be a reason to not do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

RTE at it's best

Except thats not what he said is it?

Girly Gal wrote: »
    The Leinster championship is the only province that's uncompetitive at the moment due to Dublin's dominance which is a difficult problem to solve now

Is it?

News to me:

Munster football championship winners 2000-2020

The first two decades of the 21st Century has seen Kerry win 15 of a possible 20 Munster Championship titles.

Kerry: 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 (15) (got a back to back, 3 in a row, and a 7 in a row)

(The princes of the pigskin had it their own way in Munster for so long it is just accepted as a matter of course. Plus the backdoor gave them a second chance any time Cork beat them occasionally)

Cork: 2002, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2012 (5) (back to back 08 and 09) (none for 8 years)

(The enigma's of Gaelic football - who managed to dismantle an All Ireland winning side from 2010 and fall into division 3 in 10 years.

Tipp: 2020 (1) (first for 85 years)

(Best Tipp footballers of their generation bubbling under since 2011. However, only for covid19 I doubt this victory would have occurred this year.)

--

Overall 3 different winners in 20 years
    --

--
    --

Leinster football championship winners 2000-2020

Dublin: 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 (5 in a row, 10 in a row)

{Best footballers in their history from 2013 on - up until 2013 Leinster's were hard fought. Easy after that. Helped by Kildare and Meath going backwards .They lost to Leinster minnows (weaker counties 5 times between 2010 and 2020.) }

Meath: 2001, 2010 (2) (none for 10 since their controversial Louth win)

{Meath with Boylan a fading force unable to rebuild and replace the great man. Meath went backwards .

Out of div 1 for 13 years 2006-2019. Shocked by a weak div1 Laois side in 2012, shocked by Westmeath in 2015 (a div 2 side relegated to div 3.), 2018 shocked v Longford (a div 3 side)}

Kildare: 2000 (1) (none for 20 years)

{'The Micko effect' got a team motivated and attracted a good few imports to play for Kildare. Micko has not been replaced with a man as capable since.

Since those heady days Kildare have gone backwards.2016 shock loss to Westmeath (a div 2 side relegated to div 3), 2018 shocked by Carlow (a div 4 side just promoted to div 3, Kildare were a div 1 side relegated)

Laois: 2003 (1) (none for 17 years)

(The Micko effect' got a team motivated and attracted a few imports to play for Laois. Mixed with a strong underage crop. Micko has not been replaced with a man as capable since.)

Westmeath: 2004 (1) (None for 16 years)

('The Paidi effect' no manager of the same calibre has managed Westmeath since)

--

Overall 5 different winners in 20 years
    --

--
    --
    Connacht football championship winners 2000-2020

Mayo: 2004, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2020 (9) (5 in a row)

(One of the most consistent counties of the last two decades, up there with Kerry)

Galway: 2000, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2016, 2018 (7)

(May have won Connacht's but latest versions are a long way short of Galway, in the early 00's)

Roscommon: 2001, 2010, 2017, 2019 (4)

(Arguably Roscommon's best generation of footballers in the 2010's)

Sligo: 2007 (1) (none for 13 years)

(Major shock unheralded)

--

Overall 4 different winners in 20 years
    --

--
    --

Ulster football championship winners 2000-2020

Tyrone: 2001, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2016, 2017 (7)

(Best generation of players in their history)

Armagh: 2000, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008 (6) (none for 12 years)

(Best generation of players in their history and manager 'Big Joe', plus were basically fed by one great club team Crossmaglen - but fall was sharp now a Armagh is really a div 3 team)

Donegal: 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019 (5)

{Best generation of players and manager (Jim McGuinness and co) for at least 20 years in the county}

Monaghan: 2013, 2015 (2) (none for five years)

(Best generation of players in the county for decades and still only manage 2 Ulster's in 20 years - with one of the best forwards in the country)

Cavan: 2020 (first for 13 years)

(Major shock unheralded, great manager but I doubt it would have happened but for covid19)

--
    Overall 5 different winners in 20 years.
    --
    --

Munster is just as uncompetitive as Leinster. Kerry's stranglehold is just as complete as Dublin's on Leinster. Tipp an anomaly great under age team since 2011 the backbone. Despite this it took covid19 for Tipp to win a Munster.

Ulster is really dominated by two teams Tyrone or Donegal. Monaghan seem a fading force. Armagh may never hit the same heights as with 'Big Joe'. Now they are a div 3 team.

Connacht is Galway or Mayo as always in the last 20 years. Roscommon's golden generation have added a bit of spice in recent years, in fairness. But outside of Connacht the Rossies have never shown much improvement.

Overall to me it seems that Ulster is becoming predictable. However, the name of the most competitive province in the last 20 years is between Ulster or Connacht.

As there is always a chance a decent third team will appear. Munster and Leinster are definitely dead ducks, if you stand back and ignore the Tipp hype/tears they definitely had their day.

Let Ulster or just rename the McKenna cup the 'Ulster championship' if they like. Or let Connacht rename the FBD the 'Connacht championship' if they like.

I would argue for a scrapping of all provincials. League is the way forward and it should be made the 'new AI championship' - knockouts following the group stages.

More time freed up for club football on the calendar, job done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

Provinces are here to stay for now which means the GAA will likely go for the proposed provincial groups format from the GAA. The makeup will be decided by which teams are the lowest ranked in their province which means we'd be looking at something like this if it happened this year.

Connacht: Mayo, Roscommon, Galway, Leitrim, Sligo, London, Antrim, Louth.

Munster: Kerry, Clare, Limerick, Tipperary, Waterford, Cork, Carlow, Wexford.

Ulster: No Antrim.

Leinster: No Carlow and Wexford.

It won't fix Leinster and any rebalancing of the provinces should be permanent. The group stage eliminates any potential shocks. Dublin could lose one game but all they have to do win another and get into the qualifiers. Tier 2 will be 8 teams + NY. It won't get any coverage and will die a quick death like Tommy Murphy Cup.

A League format would be better but GAA fans love knockout football so a league followed by a final won't cut it. Unless you expand the League and have expanded play-offs like rugby league.

I think the LGFA have it right here. The Tipp and Cavan victories had some people questioning a Tier 2 but I think this year was a once off and I'm not sure we'll regular repeats post-Covid.

Rolo2010 wrote: »
    Provinces are here to stay for now which means the GAA will likely go for the proposed provincial groups format from the GAA. The makeup will be decided by which teams are the lowest ranked in their province which means we'd be looking at something like this if it happened this year.

Connacht: Mayo, Roscommon, Galway, Leitrim, Sligo, London, Antrim, Louth.

Munster: Kerry, Clare, Limerick, Tipperary, Waterford, Cork, Carlow, Wexford.

Ulster: No Antrim.

Leinster: No Carlow and Wexford.

It won't fix Leinster and any rebalancing of the provinces should be permanent. The group stage eliminates any potential shocks. Dublin could lose one game but all they have to do win another and get into the qualifiers. Tier 2 will be 8 teams + NY. It won't get any coverage and will die a quick death like Tommy Murphy Cup.

A League format would be better but GAA fans love knockout football so a league followed by a final won't cut it. Unless you expand the League and have expanded play-offs like rugby league.

I think the LGFA have it right here. The Tipp and Cavan victories had some people questioning a Tier 2 but I think this year was a once off and I'm not sure we'll regular repeats post-Covid.

Why not just base the 'provinces' on the leagues then have a knock out QF/last 16 system after the group stages. Open draw maybe GAA people love open draws.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭C__MC

DVDM93 wrote: »

Linesman seemed to believe a verbal was at him rather them the meath player
    Overturned

Still hard to believe cormac Costello dosent start, an underage prodigy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

jmayo wrote: »
    Ehhh if you are talking about the Connellan, Rory O'Neill, Conor McKeon podcast then he never said that.
    Try and be a little less disingenuous, will ya.

One point he did make was why in the 35 times Dublin have played Laois in the last 130 years has not one game being played in Laois is kinda telling.

BTW all of them on that podcast did agree even with resourcing other counties, Dublin playing away it will take years for counties to get close to them.
    But that definitely should not be a reason to not do something.

Thought it was a really good podcast. The point Connellan made about when he came onto the panel Westmesth had a realistic aim of winning Leinster to now having no chance really struck with me. Hard to blame players for not committing when a mauling by Dublin is all the thanks they'll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Art was great crack. I remember someone sticking a mike in front of him at the end of the semi final with Kerry (1986?) and asking him what instructions he had given to McKenna when they got a penalty which went over for a point.

"Ah, what the fk do you think i toul him" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Linesman seemed to believe a verbal was at him rather them the meath player
    Overturned

Still hard to believe cormac Costello dosent start, an underage prodigy

I'd imagine that his tendency to let go at times is one reason. Great player to have come on.

Advertisement