Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Started Why I'm No Longer Talking About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pinking

Does anyone have any good autobiographies from successful people? I'm nearly finished reading An Independent Man by F1 legend Eddie Jordan. I'd like a good list, or to be pointed to a good list of books I can work my way through by the end of the year. I'm about half way through this list too and I would highly recommend Shoe Dog about the founder of Nike!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

pinking wrote: »
    Does anyone have any good autobiographies from successful people? I'm nearly finished reading An Independent Man by F1 legend Eddie Jordan. I'd like a good list, or to be pointed to a good list of books I can work my way through by the end of the year. I'm about half way through this list too and I would highly recommend Shoe Dog about the founder of Nike!

They usually use ghost writers anyway; I prefer the proper biographies.

I enjoyed War Paint: Madame Helena Rubinstein and Miss Elizabeth Arden: Their Lives, Their Times, Their Rivalry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭The White Feather

pinking wrote: »
    Does anyone have any good autobiographies from successful people?

Here is a list of ones that I have read. Some are better than others. The links are to the reviews I did in my reading log here. They are all successful people

1. It's time by Bruce Buffer
    2. Win or Learn by John Kavanagh
    3. Never grow up by Jackie Chan
    4. Back from the Brink by Paul McGrath
    5. Fighter by Andy Lee
    6. Hooligan by Paddy Holohan
    7. The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin
    8. Believe me by Eddie Izzard
    9. The 10x Rule by Grant Cardone
    10. The Big Fight by Sugar Ray Leonard
    11. Total Recall by Arnold Schwarzenegger

The best one is Total Recall. An brilliant autobiography mixed with motivation.
    After that probably Grant Cardone, Josh Waitzkin, Jackie Chan and Sugar Ray Leonard. But either read my review or look them up online to see if they interest you.

Total Recall has been put to the top of my list.

While we're touching on non-fiction, I'm currently reading Ireland in 250 Episodes. It's a history of Ireland that had originally been written for 250 5-minute radio segments for BBC N Ireland and it starts at ice age and goes right up to modern history. So it's a whole bunch of very readable and concise tellings of Irish history, but seems to be well researched. I've learned a lot :-)

• Advertisement

Finishing Fifty Fifty by Steve Cavanagh ... bit disappointed in it to be honest, didn't really deliver on the hype.

Listening to Tidelands by Phillipa Gregory on Borrowbox

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Found a blog ranking the top 100 novels. Said I’d read the top 50 so to kick off with a bang I decided to bite the bullet and start with a challenging one.

Currently half way through Ulysses...christ it is long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Finished John Boyne's A Traveller at the Gates of Wisdom. A bit underwhelmed by it. It's quite confusing for the first few chapters and then the story keeps repeating through the years while referencing many major historic events but is slow. Doesn't live up to some of Boyne's other books.

Going to bed with Here is the Beehive by Sarah Crossan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished Kelley Armstrong's Bitten the first book in her werewolf series and enjoyed it a fun read.

• Advertisement

Finished Michael Moynihan's GAAconomics. Basically an in depth look at money in the GAA given that Gaelic games are amateur sports. Thought it was very interesting and a good behind the scenes look at how the GAA works from a financial perspective at all angles.

Strange Flowers by Donal Ryan & The Gift by Edith Eger lined up next

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Really enjoying Last Ones Left Alive, Sarah Davis-Goff, Irish post-apocalyptic zombie type stuff.

The Survivors by Jane Harper and on audio The Hand that first held mine by Maggie O'Farrell

Finished Kelley Armstrong's Stolen the second book in her werewolf series and enjoyed it. A fun read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ixanthink

I’m reading American Dirt. Is anyone else reading this mind-blowing book??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Started It takes Blood & Guts, Skin form Skink Anansie's Biography.
    I'm listning to it on audio, Skin reads it herself - I just love her voice!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,789 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

On Midnight Library now, really enjoying it so far.

Sarah's Key by Gilles Paquet-Brenner & on audio The Darkest Evening by Ann Cleeves

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Currently reading Rodham and Black and British.

• Advertisement

Started Ragtime, E.L.Doctorow. Don't know much about his writing except that he wrote Billy Bathgate, the movie of which I remember being hugely disappointed by years ago...
    The book is good so far.

Finished The Mercies by Kiran Millwood Hargrave. Highly recommend it.

Next up Wild by Kristin Hannah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Callan57 wrote: »
    Sarah's Key by Gilles Paquet-Brenner & on audio The Darkest Evening by Ann Cleeves

I watched the movie from Sarah's Key and loved it.

Big fan of Shetland and Vera here, but haven't read anything by Ann Cleeves, yet. I have recently bought The Long Call and will get to it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I have just finished The Searcher by Tana French.

I am a big fan of this writer, but I found this book deeply unsatisfying.

The plot resolution is disappointing. French's novels often have a sense of tragic loss, but they usually also have some sort of acceptable closure. This one does not.

Also, the writer's normally good knowledge of Irish dialogue and terminology has let her down, for example the untypical use of the term "townland", and a tendency towards paddywhackery on the part of some of the local characters.

Finished a re read of Herge's Adventures of Tintin Book 5 which featured The Land of Black Gold and the 2 part Destination Moon and Explorers on the Moon. Always fun to have a re read of my favourite graphic novels growing up.

Finished Kristen Hannah's Wild, didn't live up to the premise. I think Hannah peaked with The Nightingale.

Next up 10 Minutes 38 seconds in This Strange World by Elif Shafak.

A Traveller at the Gates of Wisdom by John Boyne

Life, Keith Richards.

Finished book 3 of Kelley Armstrong's otherworld series. This one focusing on the witches introduced in the previous book and another fun read.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Started reading The Psychology of Time Travel this afternoon. Got through nearly 100 pages in one sitting. I already think it's going to be one of the best of the year for me.

Advertisement