Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,844 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Finished Fever - Largely I enjoyed it, but it was a bit slow in parts.

Started The Doll Factory - Liking it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Uncommon Type by Tom Hanks ... not really gripping me so far.

On audio Margaret Atwood's Surfacing

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Callan57 wrote: »
    Uncommon Type by Tom Hanks ... not really gripping me so far.

On audio Margaret Atwood's Surfacing

I've had the Tom Hanks book in the pile for a long time but have never summoned up the enthusiasm to give it a crack. It was a present and I'm reluctant to send it on its way to the charity shop without giving it a go, but.....

Xofpod wrote: »
    I've had the Tom Hanks book in the pile for a long time but have never summoned up the enthusiasm to give it a crack. It was a present and I'm reluctant to send it on its way to the charity shop without giving it a go, but.....

I'm glad I stuck with it, some quite good stories. The first one is probably the weakest & Christmas Eve 1953 my favourite. Hanks definitely can write. :)

I'm on to Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Everisto

• Registered Users Posts: 32,293 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Catch and kill by Ronan Farrow, it's a really excellent account of his investigation into Harvey Weinstein

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

"Muddle Earth" by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell. It's a children's book, but it's very very funny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muddle_Earth

All for Nothing by Walter Kempowski

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Started Three Women at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished and enjoyed Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Chosen the second book in this series which is very much along a Game of Thrones line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Kalico92 wrote: »
    I just finished The Godfather by Mario Puzo having not seen the film. Absolutely amazing - I'm on a bit of a binge of books from the 60s and 70s after reading Salem's Lot by Stephen King because I'm prefering the writing style to a lot of modern stuff.

Think it might be a while before I pick up another book from the last decade at this rate.

Although from the 80's The Sicilian by puzo is also worth a read.

And Robert McCammon's books "Stinger" and "They Thirst" have a similar early king vibe.

• Advertisement

Just finished Sebastian Barry's A Thousand Moons ... beyond beautiful, I just loved it.

Tomorrow I start The Hungry Road by Marita Conlon-McKenna

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Finished Susan Abulhawa's Mornings in Jenin. Superb but horrifying story of the Jewish occupation of Palestine and life in the refugee camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Just finished Changing Places by David Lodge, hilarious campus novel

Starting The Lemon Tree by Sandy Tolan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

For a change of pace I indulged in my favourite graphic novel Tintin reading Volume 4 of Herge's Adventures of Tintin. The volume contains Red Rackham's Treasure and the 2 part story The Seven Crystal Balls and Prisoners of the Sun.

Isabelle in the Afternoon by Douglas Kennedy

Now reading another campus novel: The Truants by Kate Weinberg, quite catchy so far.

God of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Xofpod

God of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

Interested in hearing how you get on with this one. It's been on my radar but not quite enough to pick it up yet,

Xofpod wrote: »
    Interested in hearing how you get on with this one. It's been on my radar but not quite enough to pick it up yet,

Not my usual choice but it's for a book club, I'm only a couple of chapters in but not bad so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Currently reading The Silent Patient, I'm about a quarter in & enjoying it so far.

Just finished Isabelle in the Afternoon ... an enjoyable read.

Next from the shelf is 10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World by Elif Shafak

Blood Orange... probably a bad idea starting a new book at 12am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Alice In Wonderland.

Really enjoyed The Truants by Kate Weinberg
    I jumped straight after to The Secret History by Donna Tartt.
    Liked it, but not so much as the Truants: it is definitely about the characters, being relatable or not.
    Now reading A View of the Harbour by Elizabeth Taylor

Reluctantly rinished 10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World by Elif Shafak this morning. Fabulous read, loved it.

Next is Rules of Civility by Amor Towles

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just finished Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer. Anyone read it, or the other two books in the series? It's a really atmospheric and kind of creepy book which leaves you with a lot of unanswered questions. I'd like to read the other two in the series, but only if I get answers!

Blood Orange... probably a bad idea starting a new book at 12am

This was a strange book for me... I have never disliked the characters in a book as much, yet I enjoyed the story.

About to start The Midnight Library by Matt Haig.

This was a strange book for me... I have never disliked the characters in a book as much, yet I enjoyed the story.

About to start The Midnight Library by Matt Haig.

Agree totally with you on Blood Orange ... wouldn't want to have anything to do with any of the characters but still enjoyed the book! :rolleyes:

I'm reading The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead & listening to The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehisi Coates on Borrowbox. I recently read Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson. Painful reading that has left me stunned by both the resilience & forbearance of Black Americans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Has anyone read The Inheritance of Solomon Farthing? I'm really struggling to get into at 250 pages of nearly 700. Not sure if it's worth continuing.

Advertisement