Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Finished 10 minutes and 38 seconds in This Strange World. Very interesting premise brilliantly executed. Highly recommended.

Next up Blackberry Wine by Joanne Harris, author of Chocolat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

Took in a re read of my favourite graphic novels with Herge's Adventures of Tintin Volume 6 which includes The Calculus Affair, Red Sea Sharks and Tintin in Tibet. Still a fun read.

Just finished the Arnold Schwarzenegger autobiography and have moved onto The Sun also Rises.

Been keeping with alternating fiction and non-fiction pretty religiously this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I finished The Queen's Gambit a few days ago, for a book about chess it flows surprisingly well. It was an enjoyable read.
    I watched the forst episode on Netflix yesterday & I can already see where they have changed little details.

I'm currently reading my cosy Christmas book, One Day in December - I follow a lot of book clubs & bok bloggers on Fb/Insta & this book has a decent following. I'm about two thirds in & I'm not sure I'm convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I just finished John Banville's new book 'Snow'. I liked it, I love his writing and the way he captures how Irish people speak the cadences etc., Lovers of crime novels I guess will be more critical as it's not a very intricate plot line but I enjoyed it none the less and good read especially for the season that's in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I just finished John Banville's new book 'Snow'. I liked it, I love his writing and the way he captures how Irish people speak the cadences etc., Lovers of crime novels I guess will be more critical as it's not a very intricate plot line but I enjoyed it none the less and good read especially for the season that's in it.

Thanks, I was very curious about it - but put off buying it as I didn't like The Sea (although I liked one of his Quirke novels). Might get it now.

otnomart wrote: »
    Thanks, I was very curious about it - but put off buying it as I didn't like The Sea (although I liked one of his Quirke novels). Might get it now.

You don't need a dictionary for this one, it's kind of a cross over between Banville and Black I guess.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    it's kind of a cross over between Banville and Black I guess.
    Good to know !
    I couldn't warm to The Sea, at all !

Just finished A Ghost in the Throat by Doireann Ní Gríofa. It's a superb read. A retelling of the story of Eibhlín Dubh Ní Chonnaill & Art Uí Laoghaire woven into what appears to be the semi-fictionalised tale of Doireann's own life.

Next Donal Ryan's Strange Flowers

Infinite Jest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I have about a hundred pages to go in the Orphan Master's Son. It's a fascinating story and I found that I'm getting more into it as it goes on. There's just enough slow release of details to keep upping the intrigue.

Finished book 4 of Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series this one bringing vampires into the mix along with witches and werewolves as well and it was another fun read.

Finished Donal Ryan's Strange Flowers, enjoyed the first half but was disappointed in the second half. It seemed to lose its way and a random biblical story was thrown in which appeared to have no relevance other than as filler material.

On to The other half of Augusta Hope

• Registered Users Posts: 17,835 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Finished Exhalation by Ted Chiang. Mostly enjoyed it, there were some stories/fables that came off as a bit dull for me, but others I enjoyed as Black Mirror-esque romps.

Onto The Unforgetting now, enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Daisy78

The Salt Path by Raynor Wynn.

Finished Bartholomew Gill's The Death of an Irish Tinker. First time for me reading the author and must admit I thought it was pretty average fare.

Piranesi by Susanna Clarke one of the best books I read in 2020 and I don't normally like magical realism/ fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Finally finished Shogun by James Clavell, Bought it years ago and never got around to starting it, enjoyable read, looking like I’ll stick with the rest of his Asian series for the duration of my Christmas leave. Book 2, Tai-Pan ready to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

Opium and Absinthe by Lydia Kang.

Reluctant because of the hype, I caved & read Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens... I have to say, the hype is deserved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,835 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Flew through The Unforgetting. A very interesting gothic Victorian thriller/drama. Loved it.

Starting Piranesi by Susannah Clarke next. Heard a lot of good about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Biography of Dickens by Claire Tomalin. Just started and enjoying it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Reluctant because of the hype, I caved & read Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens... I have to say, the hype is deserved!

I was the exact same. Avoided it but caved and read it over Christmas

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I've had it sitting on my shelf for a few months, same as yourself, can't be as good as everyone says it is. Read 30 books last year and I didn't really like any of them, so I think I'll just go with the crowd and kick off 2021 with all the most hyped books of 2020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭nightie

Stayed up late to finish Hamnet. Couldn’t put it down.

Daisy78 wrote: »
    The Salt Path by Raynor Wynn.
    One of my favourite books !
    A sequel came out in the Autumn: The Wild Silence
    Has anyone already read it ?

I've had it sitting on my shelf for a few months, same as yourself, can't be as good as everyone says it is. Read 30 books last year and I didn't really like any of them, so I think I'll just go with the crowd and kick off 2021 with all the most hyped books of 2020.

Let us know what you think!

I'm currently reading Magic Lessons by Alice Hoffman - It the second prequel to Practical Magic. Of the three books, I like this one the most.

Read my first book of 2021, The Girl with the Louding Voice by Abi Daré. Although fiction, it's an eye-opening tale of what the young girls from primitive Nigerian backgrounds have to endure. Recommended.

Next up Sarah Crossan's Here is the Beehive.

Thanks to Covid I read 72 books in 2020, hope to read less in 2021.

Finished Haunted book 5 of Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series. Another fun read. Haunted like the previous one was focused on witches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett.

Advertisement