Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

6541 wrote: »
    How many hoppers in a dump trailer (guess) ?
    How many hoppers in a grain trailer (guess) ?

sure a hopper could be 2 sods x 60 yards or 10 sods x 120 yards

I gave tonnage

grain trailer is 14ft x 7.5ft x 4ft sides and good heaped load over it

dump trailer is 12 ton capacity and well heaped on it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

dump trailer 3/4t of turf €350
    grain trailer 8/9ton €650

Delivered within 20 mile

20 mile wouldn't get you within an asses roar of Mayo!!

sure a hopper could be 2 sods x 60 yards or 10 sods x 120 yards

I gave tonnage

grain trailer is 14ft x 7.5ft x 4ft sides and good heaped load over it

dump trailer is 12 ton capacity and well heaped on it

Which is heavier a tonne of stone or a tonne of feathers?

Muckit wrote: »
    Which is heavier a tonne of stone or a tonne of feathers?

:rolleyes:

no but I was giving indication of prices up here .

sure wasn't 3500 of them passing me last weekend from newbridge could have took the turf home with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

It's alright muckit he ain't good with numbers anyways

:rolleyes:

My point is unless you are going over weighbridge or have weigh cells on tractor loader you cant be selling by the tonne rather selling by volume. Which is fine.

My point is unless you are going over weighbridge or have weigh cells on tractor loader you cant be selling by the tonne rather selling by volume. Which is fine.

I weighted both trailers before with turf so I wount be far off

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

6541 wrote: »
    Looking for turf in Mayo, if anyone knows anyone selling. Thanks. BTW what is a good / Fair price for a load of turf ?
    Depends on location. Saying mayo is not accurate enough.
    The standard trailer in these parts is 10' X 6 X 4' 6''

Now in a areas close to bogs, 250 delivered is the price however move 30 miles and it's 400 plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

mickdw wrote: »
    Depends on location. Saying mayo is not accurate enough.
    The standard trailer in these parts is 10' X 6 X 4' 6''

Now in a areas close to bogs, 250 delivered is the price however move 30 miles and it's 400 plus.

Castlebar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

It's 11 sods per hopper here with each hopper approx. 80 yards long. Our trailer takes 1 hopper per load. No freeing the loads as it's not a massive draw home.

1 load of turf for home and 4 left then to sell

Tipped up a few loads of the dump trailer at the shed door and then pushed the turf in real slow with the loader and beet bucket

Reggie engineering at its finest .

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

That's just taking the hardship out of it. Turf is meant to be punishment from start to finish.

Tipped up a few loads at the shed door and then pushed the turf in real slow with the loader and beet bucket

Lad near here pushed put the back wall of his garage doing that. I don't know whether it was great turf or sh*t blockwork!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Lad near here pushed put the back wall of his garage doing that. I don't know whether it was great turf or sh*t blockwork!!

Or Sh!t driving!! :D:D

shed was built in 1950/60s to house the then owners brand new Massey tractor his wife bought him

its 10/11ft wide x 40ft long. so hitting the back wall would be some achievement.

I was going to knock it when we bought here, but put new windows into it and door and full new roof. turf in 1 half, oil tank the other and few bits. and got it plastered and any natural stone repointed

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Would dearly love a load of turf but cannot afford up front.

In deepest Mayo, offshore and seeking to avoid the mess of my first winter here , bringing coal back on the ferry every week,, The thought of a whole load at the back is.... .. Pensioner and too much to pay out in one lump sum

Something I was wondering in the bog this evening while being ate by bastid midges is it a solely Irish thing to cut turf or is there any part of the U.K. at it.what about the Isle of Man.surely there’s bog out them parts.are they cut does anyone know

i lived years on a small offshore North Sea island that was PEAT as they called it there. You could get a lorry load straight off the bog of 100 sterling. I burned nothing but turf all the 9 years, one load a year and miss it appallingly now. SIGH!!!!! Priced a load this week and there is no way on a pension for that outlay.

Enjoy ! Turf is bliss.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Would dearly love a load of turf but cannot afford up front.

In deepest Mayo, offshore and seeking to avoid the mess of my first winter here , bringing coal back on the ferry every week,, The thought of a whole load at the back is.... .. Pensioner and too much to pay out in one lump sum

Would you not be better off use electricity? Easier on the back and your pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Especially since mayo people wouldn't know what a good sod of black stone turf looked like :P

• Advertisement

Would you not be better off use electricity? Easier on the back and your pocket[/QUOTE]

You must be joking... Electric heating costs a bomb... The solid fuel stove heats the water and is the heart of the house... In every way.

Need turf! Must be a way..

Especially since mayo people wouldn't know what a good sod of black stone turf looked like :P

As long as it burns well the colour does not matter ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Graces7 wrote: »
    As long as it burns well the colour does not matter ;)

There is a huge difference though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

There is black turf in mayo erm......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭selectamatic

There is black turf in mayo erm......

Lies...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I brought home our turf today.
    It was late cut, near the middle of June, I don't believe I've ever reared turf and got it home without a drop of rain. It it was bone dry, black turf turning scrappy. Could have brought it home a week ago if it was footed earlier. It was only footed last Saturday week.
    Exceptional weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Id guess that mayo has more bog than any other county in Ireland, some of it has to be black....

All I can say for sure is it definitely hurt when as a kid ya got a sod in the middle of the back from your mother for not going fast enough, or for messin around 😀

I brought home our turf today.
    It was late cut, near the middle of June, I don't believe I've ever reared turf and got it home without a drop of rain. It it was bone dry, black turf turning scrappy. Could have brought it home a week ago if it was footed earlier. It was only footed last Saturday week.
    Exceptional weather.

lad beside me in the bog yesterday drawing turf he only turned/tossed

see another lad clamping it on pallets :rolleyes:. the arc of the bog . he will be the lad next april heading for the turf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Lads how many yards of turf is in one of those 10 by 6 trailers with rail that are for sale for for 400 quid and how much a yard is it to buy on the flat , just doing my maths here for next year thanks lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

kerryjack wrote: »
    Lads how many yards of turf is in one of those 10 by 6 trailers with rail that are for sale for for 400 quid and how much a yard is it to buy on the flat , just doing my maths here for next year thanks lads.

It depends on the hopper because it can vary, how many lines of turf in each row , what kind of turf and how dry.

Advertisement