Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

To tell the truth I was in a fairly 'advanced state of refreshment' when I posted that.

All the same, I've read thru this thread & continue to be fascinated with the whole Turf issue.

As a young man I loved any kind of hard physical graft. I'm still a bit cracked that way, but I'm getting a bit old and fat for it now.

Still, I could go up the country with the wife & kids. Let them off at the beach or wherever, go off to some bog & graft for the day, drink pints & eat loads of new spuds....

A man can dream...:D

After one day youd change your tune :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Reggie. wrote: »
    After one day youd change your tune :D

You might be surprised.

I read this forum a lot, but never post on it.

I'm only one generation back from the land (auld lad had no interest & the idiot brother took over & ran it into the ground).

Farmers do themselves no favours having the attitude that there some kind of 'special breed' & that they are the only ones that can manage land.

I dont hate Farmers but sometimes ,by God I sometimes hate their attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

You might be surprised.

I'm only one generation back from the land (auld lad had no interest & the idiot brother took over & ran it into the ground).

Farmers do themselves no favours having the attitude that there some kind of 'special breed' & that they are the only ones that can manage land.

not sure where your getting any of that from.
    the bog is a horrible place to work . its hot, sweety, back breaking and full of midges. you will never be as stiff and sore from any other job as after a day in the bog
    your more than welcome to come down to the bog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

the bog is a horrible place to work . its hot, sweety, back breaking and full of midges. you will never be as stiff and sore from any other job as after a day in the bog

Hill farmer stock myself. generations of hardship behind me.

As I said before, I'm a bit cracked. Have a Degree and all that. Went mad working in an office.

I just couldn't see it as 'real work'.

As it is I work as a machine setter in an industrial environment. It's grand but sometimes it would be nice to work out in the open air, I think.

what do ye think of those turf turners . its a conveyor type set up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

what do ye think of those turf turners . its a conveyor type set up

No good. Only turns half of it

Pickking stones is far worse. At least in the bog your not bending up and down but just staying in same position and moving forward

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

shrek008 wrote: »
    Anyone know of any type of hand held roller that would cut freshly cut hopper turf into sods about a foot long, usually do it with the spade but its a pain in the ass!! Makes it very easy to work with if sods are cut to uniform lengths

A hoe, it's light and handy. Does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Pickking stones is far worse. At least in the bog your not bending up and down but just staying in same position and moving forward

I foot turf on my knees, it's a killer on the knees but it saves my back.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Aravo

Shearing sheep. Pulling, dragging, knocking, shearing, rolling wool. I think this is the toughest task.

Best left to the professionals with many using a chute system to make life a bit easier. It's still tough and money is def hard earned.

• Advertisement

id rather pick stones.

Aravo wrote: »
    Shearing sheep. Pulling, dragging, knocking, shearing, rolling wool. I think this is the toughest task.

Best left to the professionals with many using a chute system to make life a bit easier. It's still tough and money is def hard earned.

Going to learn how to shear over summer hopefully. Spent last summer in bog half the time so itll make a change

You might be surprised.

Id like to hear where exactly you got "attitude" directed towards you in my post?

And also how rearing turf on the bog is connected to managing land?

Reggie. wrote:
    And also how rearing turf on the bog is connected to managing land?

Very true. I know of non farmers who take turf sections off others and after it's cut they do all the work.

Going to learn how to shear over summer hopefully. Spent last summer in bog half the time so itll make a change

Mind your back would be my advice. It's not the shearing that's the issue but more the catching, turning and getting in the right position is the hard work. I don't know how they hand sheared years ago. I know there were less sheep per holding but still very tough people about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

the bog is a horrible place to work . its hot, sweety, back breaking and full of midges.

Disagree completely.
    Everyone has their own experience of it. I find it cathartic and rewarding. I understand where the poster is coming from.

Of course. I enjoy it because it's about 30 hours work a year. If it was 9 to 5 in all weather, then it would be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

Love the bog too. Something very peaceful about it. Bit of hard work once a year no harm. Timber lot more hardship between maintaining a saw and splitting it its a lot more time consuming.

Disagree completely.
    Everyone has their own experience of it. I find it cathartic and rewarding. I understand where the poster is coming from.

Of course. I enjoy it because it's about 30 hours work a year. If it was 9 to 5 in all weather, then it would be a different story.

thts the diference. im often outside working . being stuck in an office is horrible in good weather .

i love the bog . its peacfull and relaxing. its the turf i hate.
    sometimes after a realy stressfull day i will bring a chair and sit in the bog for an hour and get away from the stress.
    i dont mind bringing it home. turning and footing cripples me .

i would rather spend a week cutting timber than a day in the bog footing turf

thts the diference. im often outside working . being stuck in an office is horrible in good weather .

i love the bog . its peacfull and relaxing. its the turf i hate.
    sometimes after a realy stressfull day i will bring a chair and sit in the bog for an hour and get away from the stress.
    i dont mind bringing it home. turning and footing cripples me .

i would rather spend a week cutting timber than a day in the bog footing turf

Yeah the bog is a very peaceful place to go

Reggie. wrote:
    Yeah the bog is a very peaceful place to go

+1

• Advertisement

Turf home. Best turf weather I've ever seen. The beet grape is great for throwing off a load.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Would the midges not eat you alive in the bog?

I remember spending weekends in it as a young lad but I never remember good weather!!

mfceiling wrote:
    Would the midges not eat you alive in the bog?

If it got later enough in the evening, they would. Best to think of calling it a day when they start. I find the midges are worse when turning or footing as your moving more slowly when compared to bringing it home.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Neighbour clamping his turf.

Neighbour clamping his turf.

Too much time on his hands

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Reggie. wrote: »
    Too much time on his hands

I asked him had he them counted. He said he'd a number on every sod in case some fell out he'd know where they go back in :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

have 2 x 8/9ton loads home. 2 more to come home and 3 x 4ton loads sold so deliver them in the next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭6541

Looking for turf in Mayo, if anyone knows anyone selling. Thanks. BTW what is a good / Fair price for a load of turf ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

6541 wrote: »
    Looking for turf in Mayo, if anyone knows anyone selling. Thanks. BTW what is a good / Fair price for a load of turf ?

dump trailer 3/4t of turf €350
    grain trailer 8/9ton €650

Delivered within 20 mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭6541

dump trailer 3/4t of turf €350
    grain trailer 8/9ton €650

Delivered within 20 mile

How many hoppers in a dump trailer (guess) ?
    How many hoppers in a grain trailer (guess) ?

Advertisement