Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Are you for real?? Have you not seen the tournament's hes won? And how he won them?

Yes, I am for real.

Yes, I have seen the tournaments he's won and how he won them.

I'm talking about playing steady and staying in front. He was leading in Abu Dhabi and was 3 behind Sterne at the turn on the final day. Sterne had a great front 9 but it's the 3 dropped shots he had. Chasing on the back 9 is different.

Bridgestone, he took the lead not far from the 9th.

That's very different from transforming a 54 hole lead into a win.

You seem to think I'm being overly critical of him. I'm not. I'm saying its disappointing he didn't win to prove, largely to himself, that he could see out the win. I think it would give him a massive mental boost for winning more

Lowry will be kicking himself that he didn't see that tournament out really.

he's not going to have too many such opportunities.

valid point from the other poster that it would be great to see him be a closer in such positions.

he hasn't shown that.

more a mental thing than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

glasso wrote: »
    Lowry will be kicking himself that he didn't see that tournament out really.

he's not going to have too many such opportunities.

valid point from the other poster that it would be great to see him be a closer in such positions.

he hasn't shown that.

more a mental thing than anything.

I think he is a very talented golfer but I think seeing out chances like he had on Sunday would be hugely beneficial to him if he gets into a similar position in a Major.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Very honest interview on Tommy Tiernan show right now, RTE 1

I'm sure will be repeated or on RTE player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭Trampas

He seems to be near the top or bottom at the moment. Very hot or ice cold

Up to 39 in the World after a great weekend moving through the field. Was the leading player in the field over the weekend. Lots of positives to take I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Tied 8th. Great few days for Shane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Tied 8th. Great few days for Shane

I think he won $266k at weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

IrishHomer wrote: »

Not too shabby.... Especially after a shocker on Day 1. He made birdie on 17, day 2 to scrape in above the cut line, was under par 3 days in a row, not too many managed that. Some balls to turn it around after Thursday and walk away with a cheque like that
    Won't do any harm to his world ranking either I would guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

endabob1 wrote: »
    IrishHomer wrote: »

Not too shabby.... Especially after a shocker on Day 1. He made birdie on 17, day 2 to scrape in above the cut line, was under par 3 days in a row, not too many managed that. Some balls to turn it around after Thursday and walk away with a cheque like that
    Won't do any harm to his world ranking either I would guess

He's up to 39 in world ranking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

he must be well inside the FedEx cut line for the play off's as well now?
    serious mental strength to turn it around after Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭techdiver

woodyg wrote: »

He is 110 now (up from 147), but still no status so no guaranteed starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Really made the most of making the cut. Hopefully will set up up for success in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Thought he had said play offs were not on his radar and he’d be in Europe mainly?

Obviously could change his mind especially with money at stake. His card in Europe is safe for another couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Old diesel wrote: »
    He's up to 39 in world ranking

Not bad for a journeyman!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Please see the Rory McIllroy thread, it has been proven conclusively that in fact being so close to missing the cut proves that Lowry is mentally weak!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/tougher-events-bring-out-the-best-in-shane-lowry-1.3898639

I think he'll be brilliant in the Ryder Cup despite what some of the "experts" on here think who point at a mixed record in some matchplay events. As the article says he likes a battle, the Ryder Cup will suit him. Hopefully we see him in the next one.

Nice to hear his comments earlier about his schedule and being happy to play European tour from within the worlds top 50.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

TheCitizen wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/tougher-events-bring-out-the-best-in-shane-lowry-1.3898639

I think he'll be brilliant in the Ryder Cup despite what some of the "experts" on here think who point at a mixed record in some matchplay events. As the article says he likes a battle, the Ryder Cup will suit him. Hopefully we see him in the next one.

Agreed but he goes though long patches where the putting is woeful, would hate to see him exposed on such a world wide stage if the putting is gone to crap.
    At least with a normal golf tournament if a player is not playing well he's ignored but nowhere to hide in the RC with so few matches....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

slave1 wrote: »
    Agreed but he goes though long patches where the putting is woeful, would hate to see him exposed on such a world wide stage if the putting is gone to crap.
    At least with a normal golf tournament if a player is not playing well he's ignored but nowhere to hide in the RC with so few matches....

Could be good in the fourballs so....thats usually where they hide people who are out of form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

GreeBo wrote: »
    Could be good in the fourballs so....thats usually where they hide people who are out of form.

So you're predicting he's going to be out of form September twelve months. Pretty good that. Anything else going to happen next year that we should know about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

So you're predicting he's going to be out of form September twelve months. Pretty good that. Anything else going to happen next year that we should know about?

I don't think he was doing that, seemed to me he was responding to someone who correctly pointed out that he can be a inconsistent and it could be difficult for him to get away with that in a ryder cup environment.

I;m sure when captains make picks they know that some of the players have flaws and they have to think of worse case scenarios for some of the players and how to deal with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I don't think he was doing that, seemed to me he was responding to someone who correctly pointed out that he can be a inconsistent and it could be difficult for him to get away with that in a ryder cup environment.

I;m sure when captains make picks they know that some of the players have flaws and they have to think of worse case scenarios for some of the players and how to deal with this.

He would rise to the occasion of a Ryder Cup. I reckon he's got a great mentality for a tournament like that. I think he'll be in the team and if he is he will star in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

I don't believe I did anything of the sort.
    Did you actually read my msg or bypass that step and just jump straight to outrage?

As for predictions, I'm predicting that I won't get an apology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,961 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

GreeBo wrote: »

Jaysus.

Greebo you should think of ignoring yourself at this stage .

But not sure you'll see this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Good news folks. Shane is currently tied at the top of the leaderboard at the opening round of the Canadian Open. The Offaly man stands at 5 under with 4 holes to remaining of his first round. Great playing so far. Keep it up Shane!!

Finished -6 tied for lead

If he keeps this up he is in danger of playing himself off the Ryder Cup Fourballs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Bus Boy

Not bad for 30/1 today for first day lead and overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

3 birdies in a row to get to 11 under and two behind that knob Kuchar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

You just never know when Lowrys going to pop up with some great form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

What a chip on 18..class act..love watching him play...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,961 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

that cost Shane a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

And a few ranking points.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

$152,000 apparently
    Panrich wrote: »

4.8 points

I'm sure he won't mind either too much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Panrich wrote: »

Anyone know where he'll be after this?

h2005 wrote: »
    Anyone know where he'll be after this?

At a very rough estimate, he'll be up to around 33.

Zaph wrote: »
    At a very rough estimate, he'll be up to around 33.

• Advertisement

Exactly wrote: »

I did say it was rough :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭bmay529

and he bags $668,800 for joint 2nd place which could have been even more had Simpson not got that brilliant if lucky chip-in birdie on the 18th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Where does he figure in Fed ex cup rankings or does he not maybe as he is not on PGA your officially ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Where does he figure in Fed ex cup rankings or does he not maybe as he is not on PGA your officially ??

PGA Tour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

Golfhead65 wrote: »

65 th in FedEx standings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Good recovery in the second round to make the cut. Let's hope he can have a decent weekend to improve his position in the rankings.

What does he need to do to regain his PGATour card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

abff wrote: »
    Good recovery in the second round to make the cut. Let's hope he can have a decent weekend to improve his position in the rankings.

Am open to correction on this, but i think he is in line to get a card for next season if he can maintain his position in the Fed Ex rankings. Not quite certain whether it entitles him to full membership or not, but i believe if you can finish in the top 125 on the Fed Ex list then it qualifies you for at least a temporary tour card. Like i say, i am open to correction. Otherwise the only ways to get a card are through the web dot com tour or by winning a major or regular PGA tour event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

abff wrote: »

Am open to correction on this, but i think he is in line to get a card for next season if he can maintain his position in the Fed Ex rankings. Not quite certain whether it entitles him to full membership or not, but i believe if you can finish in the top 125 on the Fed Ex list then it qualifies you for at least a temporary tour card. Like i say, i am open to correction. Otherwise the only ways to get a card are through the web dot com tour or by winning a major or regular PGA tour event.

Is there a qualifying school as per European tour????.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

Old diesel wrote: »
    Is there a qualifying school as per European tour????.

No, Q-school only gets you into the Web.com tours.

Shanes options are:
    1. Win an event.
    2. Stay inside the top 125 on the Fed Ex.

Both will give him a full tour card (so all events except majors and WGCs). That's if Shane wants a PGA card. This model might be working for him of mainly Europe with a bit of USA.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

I read that he isn't gonna plày a lot next year in the states, only majors and world championships. Wants to concentrate on Ryder cup qualifying and feels best way is through European tour points rather than world points as there is 5 spots from European list and the 4 from world list would probably be Rory. Rahm. Rose etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

That kind of rings a bell. I think I remember players being granted a temporary card if they earned more than the 125th placed player in the money list (this was prior to the FedEx Cup).

So he would have playing privileges for next season, but would not be eligible for this season's play offs?

• Advertisement
Advertisement