Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sleepy wrote: »
    Based on that scene - is it an entirely silent performance?

Yes!

He has two pivotal scenes across the two Productions, he is the 'big bad' nemesis to Smiley.
    And in both performances he doesn't speak.
    But he totally commands the scenes with his presence. You 'believe' that this is the character capable of setting in motion the events of the series across multiple countries, the spider at the centre of the web.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

I've spent the last few minutes trying to find Patrick Stewart's best performance, I saw it at least 25 years ago on TV. He's running around in a football jersey with an assault rifle shouting "united, united." I'm pretty sure it's in Death Train but I can't find the exact clip.

https://intl.startrek.com/news/the-star-trek-communist-hopes-star-trek-can-inspire-a-real-revolution

I had to recheck the url to make sure it wasn't a parody website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Did anyone notice there's a very slightly audible guitar track in some of the scenes in the episode where Garak is Worf's loveslave? It reminded me a lot of Toto's OST for Dune. I think that would be have been cool to have more guitar/orchestral fusions (but not anything like Enterprise!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The new Trek movie has a release date: June 9th 2023. So a bit to go yet but with that and a definitive creative head it's at least vaguely taking shape. Now whether they persist with the Kelvinverse is another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

pixelburp wrote: »
    The new Trek movie has a release date: June 9th 2023. So a bit to go yet but with that and a definitive creative head it's at least vaguely taking shape. Now whether they persist with the Kelvinverse is another matter.

I'm in two minds about that. I enjoyed most of the Kelvin films for what they are, and have watched them a good few times (with the exception of Into Darkness, f**k that film!), but I've been dieing to see a prime timeline film again. However, if that film goes the way of Disco leave it out, I'll stick with Kelvin all the way.

I'd actually love a standalone prime timeline film, with a new cast, crew, ship etc. set somewhere in the late 24th/early 25th century. It would be interesting to have one a few decades after Picard to see what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Abrams involved so I'm not holding out much hope. I liked his Star Wars stuff but I don't think he pays enough attention to the finer details of the Trek universe to do it properly. He just seems to throw out ideas without thinking which doesn't work with something as big a universe as Trek

A new crew with relatively small stakes would be nice but I'm sure it'll be full of spectacle, fate of the universe stuff (as if there hasn't been enough of that in Star Trek lately), lots of lens flare, and the Beastie Boys.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Evade wrote: »
    A new crew with relatively small stakes would be nice but I'm sure it'll be full of spectacle, fate of the universe stuff (as if there hasn't been enough of that in Star Trek lately), lots of lens flare, and the Beastie Boys.

Ah Beyond made the Bestie Boys work, that was a nice mix of the contemporary with Trek's technobabble.

If and when the budget leaks we might get a sense of the movies relative scale. Given nostalgia is so in, perhaps they'll embrace that and go full Nicolas Meyer era. Bell bottom trousers n all. Would immediately win a lot of brownie points.

If and when the budget leaks we might get a sense of the movies relative scale.

They don't really make mid budget movies any more I'd be surprised if it was below $150 million and with a budget like that it'll bet set piece on top of set piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ah Beyond made the Bestie Boys work, that was a nice mix of the contemporary with Trek's technobabble.

If and when the budget leaks we might get a sense of the movies relative scale. Given nostalgia is so in, perhaps they'll embrace that and go full Nicolas Meyer era. Bell bottom trousers n all. Would immediately win a lot of brownie points.

I enjoyed Beyond. Although I didn't like the Destruction of the Enterprise so early in her life. Beyond was more like a Two Parter Star Trek episode than the previous two films. I enjoyed it for what it was.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I hope it's a whole new ship and crew and not in the JH Verse. We had enough explosion just for the spectacle. I would love to see a crew on an excelsior class ship or even further in the future in the 25th or 26 century on an Akira class or the same class as the USS Titan.
    I would love for the film to have a lot of thought in it and be relevant to events happening in the current world.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ide love a new crew as well but hard to see it happen in a Star Trek movie. Whoever makes it they should call up the Lower Decks lads to work as consultants as they are they only 21st century makers of Trek who seem like they have ever seen the show before

• Registered Users Posts: 20,917 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's probably going to be ****e. I remember the first Kelvin timeline Star Trek movie having praise heaped on it, from critics and audiences alike. They're going to try and recreate that formula.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Depends on what priorities are. If Trek is still seen as a Four Quadrant Blockbuster franchise by Paramount, they'll absolutely try to make it a big showy noisefest. Ditto if Chinese success is important, cos that markets audience have even less taste than western ones TBH. While to me, the depreciating box offices of the Kelvin movies would suggest audiences aren't that interested in following this style of Trek.

Netflix has seen a slight resurgence of the mid budget adult film, but is still relatively absent in cinemas - and god knows what CoVid is going to do to budgets and projections for films. The next year or so of blockbusters will be interesting. Expecting a big film to make a billion dollars seems a little optimistic these days.

Will it definitely be a cinema movie. A streaming one might have a better chance of a good story.

Ms

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Will it definitely be a cinema movie. A streaming one might have a better chance of a good story.

Maybe but no chance of Paramount making money on that. If they do this right and advertise it right and not too late but at the same time not ruin the film in the trailers by giving away too much then it could do well.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Probably going to have to be getting paramount+ for the new shows. And HBO is coming here soon.

So that will be, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, your usual TV Sky/VM/etc,

All adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Hi guys first time poster on this thread so go easy....... but just wondering what’s your favourite all time battle scene out of all the Star Trek universe?
    I just rewatched the destruction of the enterprise d there on you tube and I’d forgotten how good (IMO) it was!

Ms

Probably going to have to be getting paramount+ for the new shows. And HBO is coming here soon.

So that will be, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, your usual TV Sky/VM/etc,

All adds up.

Feck that. Just stream it other ways and from other places. It is crazy do. I only have one out of all them you mentioned and I go online to watch the rest that are not on it. I could not afford all them and even if I could I do not even have the time to watch everything available. Besides if you have Sky you have Netflix with it now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

tom1ie wrote: »
    Hi guys first time poster on this thread so go easy....... but just wondering what’s your favourite all time battle scene out of all the Star Trek universe?
    I just rewatched the destruction of the enterprise d there on you tube and I’d forgotten how good (IMO) it was!

The Second Battle of Chin'toka. The Breen swooping in severely tipping the balance and the Federation allied fleet left in tatters. It's also the first time a hero ship was permanently destroyed on TV.

tom1ie wrote: »

Wrath of Khan, Battle of the Mutara Nebula

Ms

The Second Battle of Chin'toka. The Breen swooping in severely tipping the balance and the Federation allied fleet left in tatters. It's also the first time a hero ship was permanently destroyed on TV.

I loved Sacrifice of Angel's myself when all the Klingon ships come swooping in just in time and kick both the Jem Hader and Cardassian ships asses. Then Sisko going to sacrifice it all in the Wormhole and the look on Dukats face when the Defiant comes out of the Wormhole him expecting the Dominion fleet behind and nothing. Love that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    I loved Sacrifice of Angel's myself when all the Klingon ships come swooping in just in time and kick both the Jem Hader and Cardassian ships asses. Then Sisko going to sacrifice it all in the Wormhole and the look on Dukats face when the Defiant comes out of the Wormhole him expecting the Dominion fleet behind and nothing. Love that.

Dukat was a great character. Played brilliantly by Marc Aliamo.

DS9 really got the lotto numbers with strong character development and acting skill.

Wrath of Khan, Battle of the Mutara Nebula

That scene is amazing and one of the few times Trek outdoes Star Wars soundtrack wise. Also the first time I saw a sci-fi actually think about how a space battle might work and beats the hell out of ships swooping like spitfires or JJ/Kurtzmann and their Michael Bay style fireworks shows

The DS9 battles were good on first watch but the way ships are getting cut to pieces while the Defiant comes out with it's plot armor only down it 30% looks a bit silly. Even when it blows up everyone gets out ok while Miranda classes are getting cut to pieces with not an escape pod in site

I reckon the jury's out at this point. There have been a few steaming success stories, albeit accentuated by CoVid. As said Paramount have their own streaming service and "new Trek movie" might be the kind of big ticket item to shift subscriber numbers, against a more costly - and potential box office flop - of a cinema release. It must be tempting at this stage when things like Justice League etc are going well.

It's all about the script though. And who it'll focus on. I don't get the impression Chris Pine is that bothered about Trek so I'd not put money on it featuring Kirk, at least not James. The rumour has been that it'd have George Kirk as lead, and star Chris Hemsworth, reprising his role. But again, his star is a little too bright now too.

Ideally this should be a 50 million dollar vehicle, some modest stars and a decent, sensible plot. It's crazy cos when Hollywood does go for that tactic - seen with everything from Jumanji to Joker - the films make solid bank.

Ms

Dukat was a great character. Played brilliantly by Marc Aliamo.

DS9 really got the lotto numbers with strong character development and acting skill.

Agreed. Even some of the secondary characters in DS9 had great stories and charather development. That is what makes DS9 so good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The DS9 battles were good on first watch but the way ships are getting cut to pieces while the Defiant comes out with it's plot armor only down it 30% looks a bit silly. Even when it blows up everyone gets out ok while Miranda classes are getting cut to pieces with not an escape pod in site

She's a tough little ship.

She's a tough little ship.

Little ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭galwayguy85

Please double-check spelling, punctuation and grammar when posting, thanks! Questions starting with ‘Will’, ‘would’, ‘if’ etc should end with a question mark. P.M me if you need any help.

Advertisement