Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Please double-check spelling, punctuation and grammar when posting, thanks! Questions starting with ‘Will’, ‘would’, ‘if’ etc should end with a question mark. P.M me if you need any help.

Gerra life will ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭Evade

Please double-check spelling, punctuation and grammar when posting, thanks! Questions starting with ‘Will’, ‘would’, ‘if’ etc should end with a question mark. P.M me if you need any help.

It's P.M. isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

airlock1995.jpg

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 25,024 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Wow you have been holding on to that for 7 months now all cause I laughed at you for having a racist moan about foreigners not being able to speak English while using terrible grammer and spelling yourself.

Seriously 7 months to find one missing question mark

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭galwayguy85

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Wow you have been holding on to that for 7 months now all cause I laughed at you for having a racist moan about foreigners not being able to speak English while using terrible grammer and spelling yourself.

Seriously 7 months to find one missing question mark

Well, to be correct, I was rather remarking about foreigners not being able to speak the *local* language (at least to a vague degree of fluency). Matter of fact, not racism. Go read the thread again. Try living outside of Ireland for a while. :)

I‘m sure for a bloke with 4,500+ posts (i.e has not much to do, otherwise) you’ve dropped the ball more than once in terms of grammar and punctuation etc. Anyway, have fun salivating about sci-fi. Engage!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

galwayguy85 and breezy1985, take it to pm please.

galwayguy85, don't drag petty disputes from other forums in here.

Back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Back on topic.

So, your favourite Trek space battle?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Favourite battle for me, and may not be a surprise for those who know my posts, is Wrath of Khan and the whole exchange between the Enterprise and Reliant. Huge epic battles are nice and flashy, with DS9 taking the medals there, but WoK had two excellent characters in a battle of wits as they skulked about in their ships. And it was wits; Enterprise utterly shot to hell from the first encounter only for Kirk to "cheat" (why hello thematic arc) death through cunning. That shield trick *chef's kiss*. Still to this day the best space battle put to screen in Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Rawr

pixelburp wrote: »
    Favourite battle for me, and may not be a surprise for those who know my posts, is Wrath of Khan and the whole exchange between the Enterprise and Reliant. Huge epic battles are nice and flashy, with DS9 taking the medals there, but WoK had two excellent characters in a battle of wits as they skulked about in their ships. And it was wits; Enterprise utterly shot to hell from the first encounter only for Kirk to "cheat" (why hello thematic arc) death through cunning. That shield trick *chef's kiss*. Still to this day the best space battle put to screen in Trek.

And that slow building creepy music in the nebula....with silhouettes of both ships floating so close, but blind to each other. Even to this day, knowing all too well how this would play out, the battle fills me with excited dread. It was one of my earliest Trek memories and may have fed into me becoming a Trekkie.

Also, after seeing TOS and some TNG by then it blew my mind to see a warp nacelle shot straight off a ship like that. I think it might have been the first time they had presented such total damage to a starship in that way. It just ramped up the excitement of it all, they really were not messing about here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,282 ✭✭✭corkie

^^^ Thanks for the rick-roll, just a music video. No battle shown!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Great mix of savvy film-making, soundtrack (later then re-used in Aliens) and script. Sure, Montalban was chewing the scenery like a starving man but the whole thing came together so well. Maybe VI came close with its own space battles but otherwise you just so rarely saw this kind of heft and impact in Trek's space battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Saw some great movies as a kid in the summer of 1982, notably ET, then Star Trek The Wrath of Khan. Empire Strikes Back was a couple of years old and we were waiting on ‘Revenge’ of the Jedi to see how the Star Wars saga would conclude. Star Trek The Motion Picture had underwhelmed in 1979, so Wrath of Khan unexpectedly came out of nowhere and knocked it out of the park. The new red uniforms, the fantastic James Horner score, the epic space battles, the violence and THAT ending.

I bought the Soundtrack LP (which I still have) to relive the moments, there was no such thing as home video at that stage and it would be another 2 or 3 years before it would be seen on TV over Christmas.

It’s amazing to think this movie is still being talked about and celebrated almost 40 years later.

In all the talk of Discovery season 4 I didn't realize they put out teasers for Picard S2 and Lower Decks S2 as well.

Way more excited by those 2. The little Picard trailer is full of little nods and easter eggs

In all the talk of Discovery season 4 I didn't realize they put out teasers for Picard S2 and Lower Decks S2 as well.

Way more excited by those 2. The little Picard trailer is full of little nods and easter eggs

The other 2 give me some optimism since Discovery appears to be beyond hope now alas.

Picard has the potential of being a load of fun (assuming Kurtzman doesn't find a way to ruin a good thing again). Lower Decks also looks like it'll be good. There was a load of fun speculating about that Miranda Class in the trailer. I'm quietly optimistic for a fun Season 2 there (again, assuming Kurtzman stays the hell away from it)

Rawr wrote: »
    The other 2 give me some optimism since Discovery appears to be beyond hope now alas.

Picard has the potential of being a load of fun (assuming Kurtzman doesn't find a way to ruin a good thing again). Lower Decks also looks like it'll be good. There was a load of fun speculating about that Miranda Class in the trailer. I'm quietly optimistic for a fun Season 2 there (again, assuming Kurtzman stays the hell away from it)

So far he has avoided LD at least. Whoever made the little Picard clip knows his Star Trek every little thing in that from is from some part of the show and the most exciting one is the Pah-Wraith tablet on the table.

Discovery it seems are doubling down on the doomsday stuff as well as the whispering and emotions so the trailer done nothing for me

Discovery it seems are doubling down on the doomsday stuff as well as the whispering and emotions so the trailer done nothing for me

On a sort of positive note, I might feel somewhat thankful that they made this very clear in the Discovery trailer. All of the stuff I didn't enjoy in Discovery is front and center in a way that says: "We'll be doing some more of this in the next Season"

So that note I can say with some gratitude to them; "You're grand. No thanks, on the Discovery but I wouldn't mind some of that Picard & Lower Decks over there."
    That way I can stick to the Trek from which I know I might get some enjoyment.

On a sort of positive note, I might feel somewhat thankful that they made this very clear in the Discovery trailer. All of the stuff I didn't enjoy in Discovery is front and center in a way that says: "We'll be doing some more of this in the next Season"

So that note I can say with some gratitude to them; "You're grand. No thanks, on the Discovery but I wouldn't mind some of that Picard & Lower Decks over there."
    That way I can stick to the Trek from which I know I might get some enjoyment.

As soon as she started the "we will do it together" crap I was the same. It's just full on for the stuff I don't like next season

• Registered Users Posts: 15,734 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So what Starfleet ship do you think (note the way I said Starfleet) so the ship can be a ship before the Federation was formed got the worst beating.

For me it was Enterprise NX-O1 in the season 3 episode 18 "Azito Prime" when the Xindi are literally knocking lumps off the Enterprise and you see crew been sucked into space. As soon as there ablative armor goes the crew are virtually helpless to stop it and T-Pol is helpless too. It looks like the end for the ship and crew.

AMKC wrote: »
    So what Starfleet ship do you think (note the way I said Starfleet) so the ship can be a ship before the Federation was formed got the worst beating.

For me it was Enterprise NX-O1 in the season 3 episode 18 "Azito Prime" when the Xindi are literally knocking lumps off the Enterprise and you see crew been sucked into space. As soon as there ablativd armored goes the crew are virtually helpless to stop it and T-Pol is helpless too. It looks like the end for the ship and crew.

Voyager in Year of Hell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The good thing about the NX-01's beating though was the lack of reset switch at end of episode. It had to limp on its battered state through the rest of the season before it could get back to Earth for repairs in early season 4.

Assuming they have to have survived the encounter Enterprises A and E took a pretty severe beating in Undiscovered Country and Nemesis.

I'm not sure if any of them survived but a couple of times you see ships in later DS9 episodes where half the saucer gets vapourised.

Evade wrote: »
    Assuming they have to have survived the encounter Enterprises A and E took a pretty severe beating in Undiscovered Country and Nemesis.

I'm not sure if any of them survived but a couple of times you see ships in later DS9 episodes where half the saucer gets vapourised.

They did re-use the movie models whenever they could. In the DS9 episode "The Sound of Her Voice", the USS Olympia is the re-use of another well known Trek vessel:

latest?cb=20060324144655&path-prefix=en

This is apparently a re-dress of the 1701-wreck from ST III

They did re-use the movie models whenever they could. In the DS9 episode "The Sound of Her Voice", the USS Olympia is the re-use of another well known Trek vessel:

latest?cb=20060324144655&path-prefix=en

This is apparently a re-dress of the 1701-wreck from ST III

One of the benefits of going forward instead of back, a huge library of props and such to pull from, unless it's Picard.

It's a curiously underused concept in sci fi. There are always refuelling stations, repair bays and so on. Maybe it's simply down to budget, so the set dressers, FX artists and script writers don't need to suddenly take into account a blasted ship, missing vital sections. Even the pinnacle of TV sci-fi, the BSG reboot, skirted the issue at times. The Galactica was properly knackered by the time of the finale mind you - the moment its back finally broke a genuinely emotional moment.

Trek never really seemed interested in the inherent vulnerability or fragility of its ships. I guess that's the problem with a post scarcity universe and one set in a utopia at that; there's no sense of value or loss to the ships. Maybe it's the fact that even the smallest problem means instant death for all so easier to just ignore that issue than constantly worry a single plot should kill its cast.

Isn't that part of the suspension of disbelief that most of the mundane problems have been solved? A starship exploding because a rubber o-ring was slightly defective doesn't make a particularly interesting Star Trek story.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Pity they un-invented fuses and circuit breakers between now and 24th century and we ended up with consoles exploding everywhere ;)

Evade wrote: »
    Isn't that part of the suspension of disbelief that most of the mundane problems have been solved? A starship exploding because a rubber o-ring was slightly defective doesn't make a particularly interesting Star Trek story.

Ah I don't mean something as trivial as a flange going snap killing everyone, but every now and again it'd be cool if Trek remembered space is possibly the most hostile environment known to sapient species, and can kill almost instantly. And why wouldn't it be a good Trek story with the right approach? A trek take on BSG mixed with Apollo 13 or The Martian where scientific ingenuity was needed - sure if anything that'd be pure Trek. Science saves the day.

Ah I don't mean something as trivial as a flange going snap killing everyone, but every now and again it'd be cool if Trek remembered space is possibly the most hostile environment known to sapient species, and can kill almost instantly. And why wouldn't it be a good Trek story with the right approach? A trek take on BSG mixed with Apollo 13 or The Martian where scientific ingenuity was needed - sure if anything that'd be pure Trek. Science saves the day.

They had 2 chances to do that with Voyager and Enterprise and mostly botched them

• Advertisement

TNG's Disaster and Enterprise's Shuttlepod One are sort of stories like those. But those aside a ridiculous amount has to go wrong on a Starfleet ship to get an Apollo XIII or the Martian situation, they have backups for their backups

Often when they attempt those kinds of stories they leave out obvious solutions because they have too for dramatic purposes. Anytime life support is about to fail most of the crew should evacuate to the shuttlebays so the shuttle hatches can be left open with their life support systems running at maximum.

Advertisement