Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Evade wrote: »
    I'll have you know the two handed hammer blow to the back is an ancient guaranteed one hit win martial arts technique from Derexkan II. Joke BTW

To be the best kind of correct, he does die on a bridge. But I think a death like in the opening of Generations would have been fine for Kirk.

IIRC, wasn't the two-handed punch a suggestion from the then stunt coordinator on one of the Treks? That they wanted something suitably "future"esque, that could conceivably come from a martial arts of another time or place?

That is true re. the bridge. For sure the "death" at the start would have worked perfectly well, and that entire sequence on a new Enterprise - captained by Alan Ruck of all people - was infinitely more entertaining that the film we subsequently got. Or I guess so, given I can't remember the damn thing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭corkie

It's been retconned then but at the time he casually tossed it aside.

Is the sound of it smashing just added to this clip?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Evade

corkie wrote: »

It is. That scene isn't as bad as I remembered, still what's left of the floor isn't a good place to keep something like that.

EDIT: Since I haven't seen it in a while I may as well watch Generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,847 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

corkie wrote: »

It belongs in a museum

TIL Generations had brand new Starfleet uniforms designed and made for the cast but were scrapped either because the quality wasn't good enough or to avoid introducing too many new elements, the former seems more likely. They were similar to the late TNG uniforms but the jacket opened up like the red uniforms from Star Treks II to VI. It looks like the uniforms on Lower Decks were heavily inspired by them.
    breezy1985 wrote: »
    There were constant problems with the design I think so they missed the shooting deadline. The design survives in the toys for Generations which were already made before the uniform was scrapped
    I'd love to see these. Do you have any links?

Star Trek: 10 Secrets Of The Next Generation Uniforms You Need To Know
    ^^^ https://youtu.be/DW3Ja4qo6EI?t=489

^^^ They mention the uniforms in this clip and show the toys as well

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement

This film is such a weird mix of extravagance and corner cutting. The opening on the sailing ship, the destruction of the Enterprise D, and the even Enterprise B model were undoubtedly expensive but then the reason the Duras Sisters are in it it is so they can reuse the destruction of Chang's Bird of Prey, including the viewscreem shot of the incoming torpedo, from Star Trek VI.

It is. That scene isn't as bad as I remembered, still what's left of the floor isn't a good place to keep something like that.

EDIT: Since I haven't seen it in a while I may as well watch Generations.
    Having just finished Generations now Picard leaves the Kurlan naiskos behind on Veridian III in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Having just finished Generations now Picard leaves the Kurlan naiskos behind on Veridian III in the end.

Maybe he went back for it or someone else picked it up for him.

AMKC wrote: »

Can't believe where having a discussion about a prop device.

Maybe a salvage team collect Items from the saucer section.

Non-canon novels have the planet and wreck discussed as well.

It's possible someone else got it but the next shot is the three Starfleet ships warping away and it's not like it's a particularly large item Riker could have carried it. It just makes the film very inconsistent because a lot of ot relies on continuity from TNG, probably too much in fact, and then it drops the ball here.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »

Maybe its a fake because Picard is not thick and wouldnt leave an extremely rare artefact that is linked to the creation of all known life on a starfleet ship which have a habit of getting robbed or destroyed.

Also would he hoard such an item for himself

Maybe its a fake because Picard is not thick and wouldnt leave an extremely rare artefact that is linked to the creation of all known life on a starfleet ship which have a habit of getting robbed or destroyed.

Also would he hoard such an item for himself

The naiskos doesn't have anything to do with the first humanoid species.

The naiskos doesn't have anything to do with the first humanoid species.

Oh right. I thought t was part of the plot to find them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Janeway's role has been confirmed for Prodigy: an emergency training hologram, with her appearance that of Voyager. So there we go, looks like whatever ship is found by the kids will be of that era?

https://trekmovie.com/2021/04/05/star-trek-prodigy-first-look-reveals-a-whole-new-janeway-and-more-show-details/

pixelburp wrote: »
    So there we go, looks like whatever ship is found by the kids will be of that era?
    Not necessarily, she could be a famous historical figure by the time the ship was created. Or she could even be 26th century Starfleet's Clippy "It looks like you're trying to risk your ship for coffee. Would you like help?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Rawr

Not necessarily, she could be a famous historical figure by the time the ship was created. Or she could even be 26th century Starfleet's Clippy "It looks like you're trying to risk your ship for coffee. Would you like help?"

Looks like the show will be in the Delta Quadrant and set some time after Nemesis. Since she's wearing the Voyager uniform, maybe her hologram is some leftover tech from Voyager's journey? Essentially a mish-mash of the EMH's program and Janeway's likeness. Maybe even someone's interpretation of the Emergency Command Hologram that The Doctor fantasized about (and eventually got).

I had hoped that this would be an Alpha Quadrant show, with Janeway trying to stop these kids. But, the show's actual Delta Quadrant pitch might be good. Leaning into Voyager lore might make for a good Trek show. Although I'm surprised they'd put a kid-friendly show so close to Borg Space (maybe they hadn't thought of that).

More new uniforms for Discovery too

star-trek-discovery-season-4-first-trailer-1536x864.jpg

Much better and more Star Trek looking I think

star-trek-discovery-season-4-first-trailer-1536x864.jpg

They must have gotten feedback about those fugly grey things they were wearing at the end of Season 3. They do look better.

It's a pity that show does not look like it will be all that much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

they look cut to hide the fact the cast have gotten fat over COVID :pac:

Rawr wrote: »
    They must have gotten feedback about those fugly grey things they were wearing at the end of Season 3. They do look better.

I heard they had trouble shooting a load of grey uniforms against the grey background of the ship

• Advertisement

I just hope and pray that Season 4, having now put Burnham in the seat the show spent 3 years pretending she occupied, they now let her be the captain. And not turn it into Imposter Syndrome: The Melodrama. Of course they will, but it's the hope that kills you.

Like, as garbage as the interpersonal writing was, if Burnham was always the captain of Discovery, I'd wonder how all her continuous defiance of protocol would have sat with the viewers. Without thinking too strongly on it, it may have made for a better show. Or at least, a less teeth-grinding one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Rawr wrote: »

It's a pity they could not do something with that horrible oversized Discovery bridge.
    The uniforms look out of place on it really but they are better. Just something needs to be done with that bridge now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

those uniforms are horrendous, bring back the greys

The grey with the speed stripe looked too much like an 80s cartoon jumpsuit

Or better still, the TOS movie uniform.

v1.bjsxMjQzNTkwO2o7MTg3Nzk7MTIwMDsyMDAwOzIzNTc

By far my favorite :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    I just hope and pray that Season 4, having now put Burnham in the seat the show spent 3 years pretending she occupied, they now let her be the captain. And not turn it into Imposter Syndrome: The Melodrama. Of course they will, but it's the hope that kills you.

Therein lies the nail of it for me Pixel. I feel that I have been fair, that I've done my best not to condemn the new Trek show without due cause, to give them the benefit of the doubt where I could, and to wait a little bit to see if it could get it's feet in the 2nd / 3rd Season like many Trek shows before...

Underpinning it all was hope. Hope that they would learn from their mistakes, hope that they would learn how to write for the trek universe, and hope that they would apply what they had learned. Season 3 was pretty much where my hope for Discovery died. It had looked like that maybe *just maybe* they had listened and learned. They set it in the future to stop clashing with established cannon, they had made it look like they wanted to address issues with Burnham taking all of the focus, and it looked like we would finally get a satisfactory plot to follow in interest. But alas, by mid-season it was clear that all of this was window dressing.

Despite the move the future, Discovery never really adapted to it's new reality, feeling very much like before. The script alluded to changes to Burnham, which were never really there, and the writing ultimately failed to delivery anything worth watching at the end of the day. My hope was displaced, and the show had gotten to the point of being unwatchable.

I have no more hope for Discovery. I would be surprised if I ever watch it again, because I don't have the hope that it will improve, especially after watching that trailer.

We'll get 3 more seasons of Discovery, because Paramount+ *must* have reliable new content or their gamble on this revamped streaming service is going to fail. They dare not cancel this show and the result I fear will be this sort of "Zombie Simpsons" effect, where a show that should have been cancelled years ago keeps chugging along. With any luck Lower Decks and Picard can hold us over in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pop quiz for Patrick Stewart fans.

What is so unsual about Patrick Stewart's performances as Karla in 1980s BBC TV miniseries Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Smileys People?

No googling...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Pop quiz for Patrick Stewart fans.

What is so unsual about Patrick Stewart's performances as Karla in 1980s BBC TV miniseries Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Smileys People?

No googling...

Hair ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hair ?

Not unusual for him even back then alas.
    Fraid not but thx for the guess. And it's not the beard either :)

Here's a link to one of his scenes, don't read the comments:

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Based on that scene - is it an entirely silent performance?

Advertisement