Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What do you mean not as qualified.

Each qualification qualifies the person to do the job their qualified to do.

You appear to be hinting at levels of intelligence rather than different professions.
    Should the people who got the most points in the leaving cert earn more money?

Of course the intellectual capacity of your average Pharmacist is higher- their course is academically more challenging (you need Honours Chemistry for starters and the points are far higher)! Are we not allowed to mention that fact in the sterile world of “everyone’s a winner” and everyone is the same? I don’t think so, we’ve had different salaries for different jobs since time immemorial, it’s a basic fact of life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Dia1988 wrote: »
    No, don't be silly, the L.C is used to gain entry to 3rd level courses.

However, the L.C is a test to weed out and segregate mental capacities and memory performance and indeed hard work.

Is it a coincidence that Nursing is 400pts and Pharmacy is 580pts?

Paediatric nursing is often 500 points.

I'm not a nurse...but I have the greatest admiration for what they do, the hours that they work, and the conditions they work under...

I think we can afford to restore their wages per Martina's post

That’s all very noble but how can we afford to increase their salary above and beyond recent incrases and ongoing increments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Dia1988 wrote:
    Is it a coincidence that Nursing is 400pts and Pharmacy is 580pts?
    Points increase based on demand for the course and the points applicants acheive.

The points for medical science in CIT were 521 in 2018. The same course in GMIT was 445.

Should the Cork graduates earn more than the Galway ones?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

road_high wrote: »
    That’s all very noble but how can we afford to increase their salary above and beyond re ever incrases and ongoing increments?

Very simple...we don't dole out needless and ineffective tax cuts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Points requirement is dictated by the ratio of number of available places versus the number of people applying for a course.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Points requirement is dictated by the ratio of number of available places versus the number of people applying for a course.

It is primarily demand driven...but it is also driven by the points achievement of the applicants to the course...

Very simple...we don't dole out needless and ineffective tax cuts...

Of which there really have been minuscule ones and taxes are still are excessive levels. So we leave the burden on other taxpayers- at least we know where we stand now folks. Your wage packet will fund this madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

road_high wrote:
    That’s all very noble but how can we afford to increase their salary above and beyond re ever incrases and ongoing increments?
    We could afford it before it was cut. Why cant we find the money again.

This isnt a pay rise. This is pay restoration.

Of which there really have been minuscule ones and taxes are still are excessive levels. So we leave the burden on other taxpayers- at least we know where we stand now folks. Your wage packet will fund this madness

Are you serious?

The people you are talking about have just spent the last six weeks celebrating Christmas...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

I think we should let them nurses continue moaning and sack them if they go on strike.

All we need to is employ nurses from Asia that'll be very appreciative of their job!

Play their bluff I say!

We could afford it before it was cut. Why cant we find the money again.

This isnt a pay rise. This is pay restoration.

Because we had an economy based on a bubble of speculative taxes. We were spending like madmen based on those. That’s what previous pay levels were based on.
    We can’t find the money because we simply don't have it as the economy is in a different place now.

Are you serious?

The people you are talking about have just spent the last six weeks celebrating Christmas...

What the hell has Christmas got to do with anything?

Because we had an economy based on a bubble of speculative taxes. We were spending like madmen based on those. That’s what previous pay levels were based on.
    We can’t find the money because we simply don't have it as the economy is in a different place now.

...damn it I'm not giving up that third bottle of prosecco or that 192 car just so we can have a decent health service....

What the hell has Christmas got to do with anything?

The very people you refer to are most likely the ones who have been celebrating the magic, and joy of Christmas for the last six weeks...stuffing their faces with mince pies, oxford lunches, shopping till they drop...

They are not to the pin of their collar

D4, D14, D18 etc can afford to pay for restoration...

Sardonicat wrote: »

It is indeed but when the points are consistently at high levels like in Pharmacy it does mean the applicants have on average a higher intellectual capacity.

Bull****..we had a bust because some folks went mad borrowing...

It had little to do with nurses salaries

There were very few nurses flipping properties in trendy bars on a summer Friday afternoon

It is indeed but when the points are consistently at high levels like in Pharmacy it does mean the applicants have on average a higher intellectual capacity.

Yes like Primary teaching the cut off point is usually 470 and the intake is about 400 students. Therefore the average is in or around 530.

The very people you refer to are most likely the ones who have been celebrating the magic, and joy of Christmas for the last six weeks...stuffing their faces with mince pies, oxford lunches, shopping till they drop...

They are not to the pin of their collar

D4, D14, D18 etc can afford to pay for restoration...

I don’t live in D4 and I’m a taxpayer as are the majority of us, so I’ll be paying too. People are entitled to enjoy their hard earnings in any case- communism didn’t work out very well as a concept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,309 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

There were very few nurses flipping properties in trendy bars on a summer Friday afternoon
    Sure all the nurses all they would chat about during the boom was all those properties they were buying in Bulgaria....

It was the public fiscal deficit that had us in trouble really. Primarily unaffordable public sector wages and welfare. It was the main reason we ran a €12 billion euro deficit in 2009 and everyone stopped lending to us. But yea, easier just blame the banks etc rather than look at ourselves as a nation

It was the public fiscal deficit that had us in trouble really. Primarily unaffordable public sector wages and welfare. It was the main reason we ran a €12 billion euro deficit in 2009 and everyone stopped lending to us. But yea, easier just blame the banks etc rather than look at ourselves as a nation

Quite correct. Our public spending was unsustainable, and we do have to be careful. No argument there.

But the argument that we can't afford to restore nurses pay is misleading and disingenuous. If we can afford to pay TDs and RTE presenters obscene salaries (the latter for doing almost no work of value), then we can afford to improve the standard of pay of our nurses.

We also need to make it competitive, so we don't lose the best talent to other countries...we can't afford not to restore their pay.

Quite correct. Our public spending was unsustainable, and we do have to be careful. No argument there.

But the argument that we can't afford to restore nurses pay is misleading and disingenuous. If we can afford to pay TDs and RTE presenters obscene salaries (the latter for doing almost no work of value), then we can afford to improve the standard of pay of our nurses.

We also need to make it competitive, so we don't lose the best talent to other countries...we can't afford not to restore their pay.

There's 82,000 nurses available to work in Ireland, we can't pay them above and beyond especially when they are getting staged increases already. Their last increase was only last Octaber and it was April before that.

If we give them this increase they'll continue to moan anyway , they'll want shorter work hours , 9 to 5 hrs even more pay. They're a bunch of typical women always moaning and wanting people's pity, it's what they do best!

Yes like Primary teaching the cut off point is usually 470 and the intake is about 400 students. Therefore the average is in or around 530.

Agree

There's 82,000 nurses available to work in Ireland, we can't pay them above and beyond especially when they are getting staged increases already. Their last increase was only last Octaber and it was April before that.

If we give them this increase they'll continue to moan anyway , they'll want shorter work hours , 9 to 5 hrs even more pay. They're a bunch of typical women always moaning and wanting people's pity, it's what they do best!

What is your gender as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement

I'm gender fluid!

I'm gender fluid!
    Yehhh I am sure...the only fluid involved is you taking the p#ss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I'm not a nurse...but I have the greatest admiration for what they do, the hours that they work, and the conditions they work under...

I think we can afford to restore their wages per Martina's post

Do the occupational therapists not do great work in bad conditions? Should we restore their wages?

What about community welfare officers?

What about prison officers?

What about teachers?

gmisk wrote: »
    Yehhh I am sure...the only fluid involved is you taking the p#ss.

Sorry, but your question asking what gender I am is irrelevant to this topic.

What age are you?

That's not how averages work. Your maths isn't great.

• Advertisement

Sorry, but your question asking what gender I am is irrelevant to this topic.

What age are you?
    I didn't ask you a question...

You said something about nurses all being a load of woman sitting around moaning...you seem to still think we live in an era where there aren't males nurses.

What the heck has my age got to do with anything?

That's not how averages work. Your maths isn't great.

The Mean according to the CAO is 530!

The lowest points accepted were 470

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I would recommend that posters have a look at the report I mentioned earlier in the thread "nursing and midwifery - department of public expenditure and reform"
    I would link to it, but it's proving difficult from the phone! Google "dper report nursing" and it'll be there.
    The report provides the government with its information for negotiating and to my mind is the definitive info on salaries and conditions, I'd like to hear contrary opinions as to why it may be inaccurate.
    The report in general finds wages to be very competitive internationally, staff turnover low, number of nurses per capita high amongst other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Don’t entertain that lemon ! She can’t spell or comprehend basic math so it isn’t worth engaging with.

gmisk wrote: »
    I didn't ask you a question...

You said something about nurses all being a load of woman sitting around moaning...you seem to still think we live in an era where there aren't males nurses.

What the heck has my age got to do with anything?

88% of nurses in Ireland are women (NMBI 2017)

88% of nurses in Ireland are women (NMBI 2017)
    OK... So 88 percent just sitting round moaning then according to you?

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    I would recommend that posters have a look at the report I mentioned earlier in the thread "nursing and midwifery - department of public expenditure and reform"
    I would link to it, but it's proving difficult from the phone! Google "dper report nursing" and it'll be there.
    The report provides the government with its information for negotiating and to my mind is the definitive info on salaries and conditions, I'd like to hear contrary opinions as to why it may be inaccurate.
    The report in general finds wages to be very competitive internationally, staff turnover low, number of nurses per capita high amongst other things.

Okay so improve the conditions only then.

Why are these nurses striking for more pay then when their own report shows they get paid over the average in the EU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Okay so improve the conditions only then.

Why are these nurses striking for more pay then when their own report shows they get paid over the average in the EU?

Sorry but this paid more than the average EU nurse is not a valid argument.

The cost of living in Ireland is exceptionslly high so that has to be factored in. Cant expect an Irish nurse to earn that of a nurse in Hungary

The Mean according to the CAO is 530!

The lowest points accepted were 470

Could you link please. I'm sure you're right but the distribution on that seems strange.

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Sorry but this paid more than the average EU nurse is not a valid argument.

The cost of living in Ireland is exceptionslly high so that has to be factored in. Cant expect an Irish nurse to earn that of a nurse in Hungary

NEWS FLASH!!!

There's an area in Ireland outside of Dublin that costs considerably less!

• Advertisement

NEWS FLASH!!!

And the cost of living us stil high. There is more to living than rent.

You want nurses to commute to Crumlin from Roscommon?

NEWS FLASH!!!

Oh so to add insult to injury...you want nurses to commute from the arsehole of Laois or Offaly to work their 12 hour shift in Dublin....

And the cost of living us stil high. There is more to living than rent.

You want nurses to commute to Crumlin from Roscommon?

No, they can work in Roscommon health centres and hospitals with radius.

NEWS FLASH!!!

What area or profession do you work in?

Oh so to add insult to injury...you want nurses to commute from the arsehole of Laois or Offaly to work their 12 hour shift in Dublin....

Can nurses only work in Dublin hospitals?

If you take this logic to its natural conclusion, we would have no hospitals in Dublin

NEWS FLASH!!!

I think rents are also pretty sky high in most other cities in Ireland as well though no?
    And hospitals do tend to you know be in cities a lot of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Only one way to sort it

- pick one ward and hunt all the hse staff out of it*
    ( including managers etc )

- staff it with a small herd of agency nurses

- tell them to run n organise it anyway they want, all you'll be doing is looking at results n feedback

Do the same, in the same hospital but fill it with the Asian Crew :)

Let the fun begin

* obv. not doctors before some clown says it

So all the nurses can move and work in Roscommon cause its cheaper?

• Advertisement

What area or profession do you work in?

Please state the relevance of this question to this thread.

Advertisement