Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭MaryBrosnan

Hah, says yer one with the degree in Irish and religion, the most useless subjects you could possibly study.

Get on yer bike!

+1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

Varta wrote: »
    You clearly implied that the nurse was a better nurse because he was Asian.

Nooo - I said he was a better nurse because he had international experience, which I clearly stated in my post

...should have gone to specsavers...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Leave it out, rubbish post. Nurses are the back bone of medical care. Wont you be damn glad of them if you ever need them.

Ah for Christ sake Mary, you got be banned from the motoring section for 4 days for calling you for what you are , a benefits bum!

Free House, Free car etc....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

road_high wrote: »
    So no management. Or are you going to tell us that you have a wonderful plan to deliver management at no cost.

They could always do both. You know it’s quite common elsewhere that you’d be expected to do some “donkey work” as well as take on management duties.
    Radical I know
    Where? North Korea?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Why mention his ethnicity?

They were pointing out that they expected that that person had been trained outside Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Which should have nurses even more grateful they are in a recession proof career and didn’t lose their jobs like so many of us did. But you only gain that kind of gratitude and perspective having being through hard times

In fairness we're always more likely to need nurses over many many other jobs or professions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

Nooo - I said he was a better nurse because he had international experience, which I clearly stated in my post

...should have gone to specsavers...

International experience is one of the reasons we lose our nurses. And your implication was obvious.

They were pointing out that they expected that that person had been trained outside Ireland.

And that makes them a better nurse?

Hah, says yer one with the degree in Irish and religion, the most useless subjects you could possibly study.

Get on yer bike!

Excuse me?

That's inaccurate information.

I'm an Educational Psychologist if everyone wants to know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Which should have nurses even more grateful they are in a recession proof career and didn’t lose their jobs like so many of us did. But you only gain that kind of gratitude and perspective having being through hard times

For a person who thinks they understand economics better than most you don't seem to get supply and demand.

• Advertisement

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Excuse me?

Equally useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

You do realise that the HSE still has people working 24+ hour shifts and 90-100 hour weeks? Should they be salaried to save money? Nurses are paid overtime for taking extra 13 hour shifts, not for staying late an hour or two (which happens and they don't get paid for).

Girl I know works as a nurse. Loves it, is grateful for her salary and job and loves taking on overtime as it means extra money. Great opportunity to save for her house. A refreshing change from the non stop chorus of whingers the nursing lobby have become.
    Not all on 24 hrs shifts doing 90/100 hours. They’d all be dying of exhaustion abs we’d be even more broke as a nation paying for it.

International experience is one of the reasons we lose our nurses. And your implication was obvious.

Nonsense...if the government was smart it would offer an international mobility program or some kind of an exchange programme. The problem is that many nurses have no international experience or exposure to best international practice...this is true in every field...especially medicine.

and please stop trying to make this a race issue ...its not

• Registered Users Posts: 26,221 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Public sector workers, of which I am one, have gotten two pay increases a year since 2016.

Three in 2018 for many.

In 2019 there will be another two and a third large increase for new entrants to bring them up to pay parity.

The cost for these increases is colossal not so much because they are exorbitant for the individual, but because we have 320,000 public sector workers.

The paybill went up by a billion euros in 2018 alone.

So, and what appears to be missing from much of the discourse, is that nurses have gotten pay increases. Quite a few of them,granted none as big as the large one now being sought.

So, apart form being fairly unaffordable in its own right, I will also want such an increase if 100,000 of the PS get them and I know this makes the bill even more unaffordable.

Yes, it does Gertrude

Equally useless.

You were bullied at school weren't you?

Please don't cast aspersions on things you know nothing about!

Nonsense...if the government was smart it would offer an international mobility program or some kind of an exchange programme. The problem is that many nurses have no international experience or exposure to best international practice...this is true in every field...especially medicine.

and please stop trying to make this a race issue ...its not

You introduced race. If you would like to withdraw it that's fine. International experience is fine for footballers but it is rarely a requirement in any other profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

No.
    They implied that they felt they were a better nurse because of how competently they performed their tasks. And they mentioned their race implying that they may have been better trained in their home country.

It's not that complicated. Stop building a snowman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Likewise darling.

noodler wrote: »
    Public sector workers, of which I am one, have gotten two pay increases a year since 2016.

Three in 2018 for many.

In 2019 there will be another two and a third large increase for new entrants to bring them up to pay parity.

The cost for these increases is colossal not so much because they are exorbitant for the individual, but because we have 320,000 public sector workers.

So, and what appears to be missing from much of the discourse, is that nurses have gotten pay increases. Quite a few of them,granted none as big as the large one now being sought.

So, apart form being fairly unaffordable in its own right, I will also want such an increase if 100,000 of the PS get them and I know this makes the bill even more unaffordable.

It is a legacy issue. A once off realignment is required.

• Advertisement

For a person who thinks they understand economics better than most you don't seem to get supply and demand.

These are state jobs- the state simply can’t afford to pay these people any more than they’re on. These aren’t jobs in Apple or Google where a massive revenue stream can withstand larger salaries. But they have the advantage of state permanency whereas other workers can be let go far more readily.

Yes, it does Gertrude

Nope. Wrong. Hilda.

You introduced race. If you would like to withdraw it that's fine. International experience is fine for footballers but it is rarely a requirement in any other profession.

Listen Gertrude...you are spouting nonsense...

International experience as a doctor or nurse means exposure to more conditions, diseases, and treatments...

How many Irish nurses would be able to recognize thypoid fever, babiosis, etc...

Internal experience matters greatly...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭MaryBrosnan

Excuse me?

On job seekers I’d say you are.

Just call him Gertrude...I suspect he is a Gertrude...

For my sins, I once studied psychology. Everyone was bullied at school and everyone was a bully. From the day a psychologist stood up in a courtroom or walked into a school board meeting society started to go downhill. A more useless bunch of individuals it is difficult to imagine. A total waste of resources.

No.
    They implied that they felt they were a better nurse because of how competently they performed their tasks. And they mentioned their race implying that they may have been better trained in their home country.

It's not that complicated. Stop building a snowman.

If you actually believe that Asian nurses are better trained than Irish nurses then you are, quite frankly, not at the races.

noodler wrote: »

Three in 2018 for many.

Up by a billion euros in 2018? Holy Christ we are definitely heading back to the bad/good old days. These things tend to have a snowballing effect as what happened from the late 90s to 07.

Listen Gertrude...you are spouting nonsense...

International experience as a doctor or nurse means exposure to more conditions, diseases, and treatments...

How many Irish nurses would be able to recognize thypoid fever, babiosis, etc...

Internal experience matters greatly...

Christ, go back to the '50s.

• Advertisement

For my sins, I once studied psychology. Everyone was bullied at school and everyone was a bully. From the day a psychologist stood up in a courtroom or walked into a school board meeting society started to go downhill. A more useless bunch of individuals it is difficult to imagine. A total waste of resources.

Oh Lord, you don't have a clue what my job entails!

Stop playing the Nintendo and look for a job!

Advertisement